Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. (42716 Views)

Real Estate Firms All Over Nigeria Should Check This Out. / Grave Inside Compound I And Family Are About To Move Into / Ways To Reduce Cost Of Beautifully Flooring Your Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by afadi2410: 9:50am On Apr 28, 2022
naija4life247:

I can see that poverty has really dealt with you

But he is stating a fact
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by ChristineC: 9:51am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.
you are chatting pure poppycock.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Ofiadiegwu: 9:52am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.

The Land Law in Nigeria, which is principally The Land Use Act and the Grund Norm, recognizes that land is Ancestral in it's ownership.
(Hope you understand this)

Land Use Act criminalizes burial in homes...
But enforcing this law across Nigeria is a hercullian task because of the diversity of the Nigerian state and most importantly because land is a sentimental property. A lot of emotions are attached to land so much so that, even you this OP, the land where you consider as your ancestral land: you are ever ready to fight dirty to protect it from encroachment...
You Op can even kill for your ancestral land.

Real estate or not, you parents or loved ones are going to get buried on a piece of land and you will be ready to pay money for their graves to be guarded from Invaders. Esp. at this point in time when graves are robbed of the parts of the bodies of the dead...

You may wish to focus on your acclaimed real estate hustle without complicating matters for yourself. Virgin lands in Nigeria is still more than builded lands, why focus your Precious time on burial lands??

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 9:52am On Apr 28, 2022
tofolo:
I dont agree with you.... Some whites also have family graveyards on thier properties..
errr... Not quite, They either bury at the cemetry or cremate, unless you own a privately gated property. The council would not allow burying a dead body on a street property.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by showafrica(m): 9:53am On Apr 28, 2022
khadaffi:
Are you kidding me? Do you know what goes on in public cemetery? What we should first focus on is security. After securing those alive then we can talk of securing the dead before such practices can be encouraged.

A country with bad foundation will hardly work. As Nigeria is, our growth as a country is stunted and may never pass this stage unless we reform or restart. My question is who are we postponing the reset to?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by MeeLan: 9:54am On Apr 28, 2022
Spirit never slap you before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by aktolly54(m): 9:54am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

you think paying tax is the problem? After tax is paid, NO accountability on how the money is spent, CORRUPTION will make the tax disappear, INSECURITY after paying tax, if thief enter person house, police no go answer you despite the fact that they are been paid with tax payer money, including harrasment from police ooo, NO WAY FOR TAX- REFUND from govt and some other shi.ts as well

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by orumba(m): 9:55am On Apr 28, 2022
Lol, you don't bury some people outside their compound, if not you will not rest. This is AFRICA, nothing concern JUJU and landed tax property

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by membranus: 9:56am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.

So the money that politicians and bureaucrats are stealing from you through tax, custom and excise payments is not enough? You want to give them more to loot.
Oga you must be a financial masochist to even suggest this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by eallstar: 9:56am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

The oshogbo weed u smoke this morning no be here, property tax? bringing more money to the already corrupt politicians to loot

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by GistFullGround: 9:57am On Apr 28, 2022

So you can sell your family's grave?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by tofolo(m): 9:58am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
errr... Not quite, They either bury at the cemetry or cremate, unless you own a privately gated property. The council would not allow burying a dead body on a street property.
my compund is my private property also, which can also be gated( at your bolded) as a private property it can also be an estate and can be put up for sale at anytime .... so his write up in biased somehow.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by bonnyhope: 9:58am On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?

Poor or rich

They are all going to decompose
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Born2Breed(f): 10:01am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such. burying the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigeria needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact, most Nigerians do not pay property tax. and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.

The tenement rate that's paid annually is what?

This is the only country the citizens pay taxes and gets nothing in return.

If you want electricity, you buy a transformer, electric poles, cable, accessories and power distributors will also collect money to energize it.

If you want water, dig a borehole.

If you want security, buy your street light and employ private security.

You want good roads, you pay construction companies to fix your roads.

You have a flooding problem, you dig your gutters.

Here you are claiming we don't pay property tax and here deciding where one can bury their dead?

SMH!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by chrizzyace: 10:02am On Apr 28, 2022
successmatters:
Why?
Why are you even asking why? Does it make sense? We are just too backwards in this part of the world.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Unigrad: 10:03am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

All the taxes collected by the government, have they been able to account for it? Is it not looting they are looting the money?
Stamp duty, #50 for every #10k receive or transfer, what are they using it for?
Tax increase of 5% to 7.5%, what have they used it for?
Foreign countries that collect property tax, are you not seeing what they are using it for?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Tareq1105: 10:04am On Apr 28, 2022
Truthisunique2:
We are Africans

This is our culture, you do what you will with your piece of land so long it's lawful

I know public cementries that government level after a time and put police station etc untop

Do you know the atrocities of ritualists in public cementries

Na you dey answer dem.

My father was buried in our compound and as such none of us can wake up to think of selling the building and the vast land.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by macof(m): 10:04am On Apr 28, 2022
Armaggedon:
You have not said why it's bad to bury people in their own compound. Abi you're moved by inferiority complex?
Two things
1. Inferiority complex of.. I don't see my Lords and masters in the west doing it so it must be bad
2. He must be one of those bloody agents who unemployment elsewhere forced into the field and he imagines how hard it will be to sell a land where someone has been buried in

Absolutely nothing else

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Okobola146: 10:05am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

all the taxes that we have been paying, what did they do with them. No be only property tax . Shishi I no go pay you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by splashbaby(m): 10:05am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
This should be the right thing....also vehicle maintenance certificate should be attached to workshops that gives licences after servicing a car. (Servicing includes all details that makes the vehicle function properly, brakes, tyres, light, and aesthetic appearance like paints etc.)

Any vehicle that failed to perform on the road will be the fault of the maintenance worshop that issue licenses to the driver...multiple failure from the workshop will have their licence withdrawn. This way vehicles and motorcycles will not hit the road without the right certificate which will generate income for mechanics, government and individual...infact job creation alone plus spare parts sales will increase.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by nogragra: 10:06am On Apr 28, 2022
Please my people try to have a forgiving spirit. Please forgive our people they only want the ghost of the dead to be in the compound to help collect rent from bad tenants who don't want to pay their rent as and when due. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by dododawa1: 10:06am On Apr 28, 2022
Life is a CHOICE.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by avalon7(m): 10:07am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Copy copy is why Africa is the way it is today. You want us to pay taxes as if we're living in a 1st world country but we aren't. Has the government been able to properly manage the taxes they already collected and you're talking about collecting more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Okobola146: 10:07am On Apr 28, 2022
Unigrad:

All the taxes collected by the government, have they been able to account for it? Is it not looting they are looting the money?
Stamp duty, #50 for every #10k receive or transfer, what are they using it for?
Tax increase of 5% to 7.5%, what have they used it for?
Foreign countries that collect property tax, are you not seeing what they are using it for?
no mind the guy, e be like sey him dey work for tax office

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by frank155(m): 10:07am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound

I really hate this generalisation mentality we have.
How many countries have you been to for you to make such claim? Ok, screw that, How many states/region have you been to?

You don't know the world but for some reason you write bogus statement about it

Check this https://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/funerals/can-you-bury-someone-your-backyard.htm to feed your ignorance.

So please stop making foolish and stupid assumption.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Moneyboyz: 10:07am On Apr 28, 2022
That guy mentioning property tax is stupid and en idiot.
Assuming the tax money will be used for something productive I would agree, it would probably be embezzled by some fat pig in government.

Come and take my land, zombie.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by membranus: 10:08am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
Who da hell gives a shit about the dead? Just cremate the hell outta their rotten carcasses! It's not as if they would notice.. in India and Pakistan they burn the damm rotten bodies! You people should do the same!

I have already donated the whole of my body to the NHS when i finally dies at the age of 100 after smoking alota weed and drinking gallons of Jack Daniel's whiskey for years, they can keep my dead body when i die..

With all the Jack Daniels and weeds you are depositing in the body, you still believe you will live to be 100 years old? Guy you must be in lalalaland.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by dododawa1: 10:08am On Apr 28, 2022
The end of every human is SAND,stop arguing.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by avalon7(m): 10:09am On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?

They bury their dead in mansions in their villages

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by EdwardRandy(m): 10:09am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound.

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house
So if the public cemetery is located in the west, tomorrow erudite skullers will come to mine the skull of my loved one? Did you think this through?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes 13 Illegal Buildings Along Airport Road / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.