Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays (32682 Views)

My Discovery About Private Schools / Do Not Pay Too Much Attention To The People, True Life Story / Hard Work Does Not Pay If The Right Things Are Not Done (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by SavageResponse(m): 6:41pm On May 04, 2022
Aystarz:

Come on, shut the hell up. There are modest schools I know in this same Lagos that pay teachers for the holidays.

The only reason this nonsense is happening is because teachers don't know their worth.

People who have never owned an ordinary POS business will just come here and be talking rubbish.

I challenge you to set up a small day care centre and pay your teachers/minders during holidays when no money is coming in let us see if you will not go back to your village with only Ghana must go bag after just 6 months!
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by crislyn(f): 7:01pm On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Everything just depends on your location and how big the school is. I'm a teacher, and I know other teachers too who earn well without excessive workload and we still have opportunities to get international certification. There are lots of things you can consider doing to put yourself on top of your game. Sorry about your experience.

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Malawian(m): 7:12pm On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
For all classes. Junior and senior classes.
That is not how you cost your services. It should be per class.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by AHMZUL22(m): 7:18pm On May 04, 2022
It is usual practice by them (though few of them pays full/half). Some pays their staff salary instalmentally (borrowing before salary date and part payment), delay payment, third month carryover without any justification not to talk of holiday payment. Excuse of late/low or no schoolfees paymet is not welcome no private school owner pays up when the parents/guardians paid up.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by oluwaseyi0: 7:19pm On May 04, 2022
sirrotex:
This is not true. The proper question to ask is how many of these aggrieved teachers have ventilated their grievances through the appropriate channels

Proper channel grin grin grin

the only channel in Nigeria is sack channel

they will simply claim your role is redundant or you are no longer needed. shikena

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Aystarz: 7:54pm On May 04, 2022
[quote author=Properoo post=112514610][s]Don't moan too much. just go and start a private school of your own na[/s] [quote]

This is so reductive. Any criticism about anything and NL's ariheads are quick to jump on it with their classic 'Go start your own' chorus . Do you realize that it's people's livelihood we are talking about here?Una no just get brain at all. No modicum of sense in that useless ball you call a head.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by BusinessPlan22: 8:00pm On May 04, 2022
Tomilola360:
I don't think teachers should be paid when they don't work.

If you work 2 weeks in a month, you should get the 2 weeks worth of pay.

However, the main issue that needs to be addressed is what teachers get paid. The salaries are ridiculously small. How teachers survive with this stipend surprises me.

And to say the school owners don't make enough money is a very big fat lie.

U made no sense

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Aystarz: 8:01pm On May 04, 2022
SavageResponse:

People who have never owned an ordinary POS business will just come here and be talking rubbish.

I challenge you to set up a small day care centre and pay your teachers/minders during holidays when no money is coming in let us see if you will not go back to your village with only Ghana must go bag after just 6 months!

Mumu. Someday someone will enslave you and yours like these poor teachers, and the whole world would laugh at you and tell you to go do yours, as you writhe in pain.
Slow mind!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Aystarz: 8:09pm On May 04, 2022
shantti:

I think he should teach most of the subject himself let his teachers take only one subjects each. They only need to come to school when they have class and leave immediately when they are done teaching that their particular subject according to the time table even if it is by 11am so that they can go and find other things to do to get money.

Keeping ur teachers in school from morning to evening and paying them peanuts is inhumane

Nailed it.

No be by force to hire teachers ooo.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Mikeangelo0433: 8:55pm On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

Information about getting CIE certification for teachers is only sent by British Council to school affliated or registered under COBIS, AISEN and APEN hence getting that information on registration is hardly easy..

Right now, a certification for CIE is on but contact British council Ikoyi through their website..

Just search britishcouncil.org.ng and ask for information about CIE certification in Chemistry

If they still have spots left they will tell you , but they charge in British pounds ( starting from 82 pounds)
Thank you so much
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Testimony1988(m): 10:23pm On May 04, 2022
Some schools don't have the resources to pay.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ocelot2006(m): 10:28pm On May 04, 2022
Flexy33:
It seems you own a school.
Oga regardless of the reasons, try and pay you workers salary, even if u need to borrow, they are humans and they have needs

"...even if you need to borrow...". You think it's that easy getting a loan, or worse, repaying same loan. Oh if you knew what proprietors go through....if only you knew...
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sunkieisland(m): 11:38pm On May 04, 2022
A lot of the comments here are from people who don't really know what it entails to run a school. Anyone that knows will agree that somethings are just impossible to achieve if you're in this part of the world,

1. Running a side hustle and using the side hustle to fund a school that cannot sustain itself. No right-thinking entrepreneur will work like that.
2. Running a private school in some areas in Nigeria will cause even the school owner to question the reason for starting in the first place.
3. When you have got habitual debtors for parents, you will regret ever starting a school....

I work with a school owner as an Executive Assistant and I know what happens, even to the details in the account; I'm not talking of schools that pay pittances, the minimum wage where I work for SSCE holder teaching in the Nursery class is about 50k.

So how should the school pay 12/12; it's quite impossible, unless we begin to pay teachers 20k / 30k and make it 12/12. We still strive to pay 10/12 and pay for summer separately.

But sincerely, if you know what running a school really entails, you won't blame some of these school owners.
wink

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by SavageResponse(m): 12:46am On May 05, 2022
Aystarz:

Mumu. Someday someone will enslave you and yours like these poor teachers, and the whole world would laugh at you and tell you to go do yours, as you writhe in pain.
Slow mind!

If you know how difficult it is to run a business profitably here in Nigeria you won't be here yapping rubbish!

It's is written boldly on your forehead that you have never owned a business in your life.

Leave your salary job comfort zone and go and set up a business so you will understand what happens in the real world.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by SavageResponse(m): 12:54am On May 05, 2022
sunkieisland:
A lot of the comments here are from people who don't really know what it entails to run a school. Anyone that knows will agree that somethings are just impossible to achieve if you're in this part of the world,

1. Running a side hustle and using the side hustle to fund a school that cannot sustain itself. No right-thinking entrepreneur will work like that.
2. Running a private school in some areas in Nigeria will cause even the school owner to question the reason for starting in the first place.
3. When you have got habitual debtors for parents, you will regret ever starting a school....

I work with a school owner as an Executive Assistant and I know what happens, even to the details in the account; I'm not talking of schools that pay pittances, the minimum wage where I work for SSCE holder teaching in the Nursery class is about 50k.

So how should the school pay 12/12; it's quite impossible, unless we begin to pay teachers 20k / 30k and make it 12/12. We still strive to pay 10/12 and pay for summer separately.

But sincerely, if you know what running a school really entails, you won't blame some of these school owners.
wink

Don't mind them.

Some of the people making comments here have absolutely no idea what it entails to run a business in Nigeria where clients do not like to pay for services rendered.

People like Aystarz who are still probably junior staff where they work do not know what the managers of the business go through in order to generate profits so as to pay staff salaries

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Pip36(m): 6:55am On May 05, 2022
It's quite saddening how graduates are been treated in the education sector. Teachers give their time and energy only to receive peanuts at the end of the month.

I remember when i taught in a school before going for service, i was paid #14,000 for teacher 4 subjects. As if that wasn't enough, the director asked me to cut off my beards (even offered me #200).

Thank God i have a skill that helps me to generate income and even gives me time to do other business.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Dumte(m): 8:38am On May 05, 2022
My school pays us even during holidays. Though we do come to work. And they don't owe us. I love the job to some extent because with my private Lesson money and my salary, I still live a better life.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by nicedayontop: 9:37am On May 05, 2022
I joined a private sch as a vp and a subject teacher after my nysc about 20yrs ago. When i came in teachers were not being paid during holiday because of the student population and many parents are owing to a point that the proprietress has to take some to court. I went to court to represent the sch and i learnt a lot from the verdict the court gave. I told the proprietress to give me free hand to operate, and so i and the principal started an aggressive turnaround of the sch through marketing and strict school fee policy. Things began to change positively. We increased the sch fees by 30%, teachers salary by 20% and upgraded the facilities in the sch within one year. we made every teacher marketer to bring in at least 3 new students every session with a promise of monetary compensation. Some teachers brought 9 that session. The population rose from130 to 200. teachers were so happy because we made them co-owners of the sch.Their salaries are paid promptly even during holidays because the PTA supported us.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Searchingvictor: 5:09pm On May 05, 2022
embarassed embarassed No Money till this month end. What a bad school I find myself in
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Spaxon(f): 12:14am On May 06, 2022
EagleSquare1:
Many still pay full salary. Those who do not pay have no good strategy to do that. Some have their hearts laced with greed as well.

Well said
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Spaxon(f): 12:15am On May 06, 2022
emmy4real94:
OPbsaid most schools don't pay, he didn't say all schools. You need to read for the sake of understanding...
And I used the "word most" for a reason.
Why drag me and use all the abusive words?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Aystarz: 6:41am On May 06, 2022
Searchingvictor:
embarassed embarassed No Money till this month end. What a bad school I find myself in

You know you can just leave, right?
It's not healthy working in a toxic environment where the employer doesn't give a hoot about you.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by emmy4real94(m): 9:16am On May 06, 2022
There isn't abusive words in my statement. Thats why I said read to understand..
Spaxon:

And I used the "word most" for a reason.
Why drag me and use all the abusive words?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Searchingvictor: 3:22pm On May 06, 2022
Aystarz:

You know you can just leave, right?
It's not healthy working in a toxic environment where the employer doesn't give a hoot about you.

Sure. I'll just leave by the end of the term. There will be better schools come next session

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Devilagentcap: 12:33pm On May 14, 2022
Look
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2022
BusinessPlan22:
I had to leave and God gave me a job as a manager o.
I will lead prayers every day, teach Adult school and primary for stipend, I fractured my ankle, took excuse and was absent for two days, [b][/b]came back teach 8 to 5pm daily, they deducted 1800 from my salary.
As I left God gime job. Till now, no teacher has replaced me, seeing the stress I went through then, I m amazed if dem be swear for me

True story

How could you have FRACTURED your ankle and returned to school after only 2days

Una just de speak rubbish English, even as teachers!

My dear, you SPRAINED your ankle. Simple!
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by BusinessPlan22: 8:19am On May 17, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

How could you have FRACTURED your ankle and returned to school after only 2days

Una just de speak rubbish English, even as teachers!

My dear, you SPRAINED your ankle. Simple!

Stay foolish bro.
Message passed.
I said I fractured, was it ur ankle. Idiot
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:02pm On May 17, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

Stay foolish bro.
Message passed.
I said I fractured, was it ur ankle. Idiot

Illiterate boy, humble your silly self and learn

Sprain and fracture are not the same thing

You couldn't have fractured your ankle and returned after 2 days.

Ankle fracture is a serious orthopaedic emergency that would keep you off work for at least 3months.

Sprain was what you had, mumu.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by BusinessPlan22: 10:13pm On May 17, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Illiterate boy, humble your silly self and learn

Sprain and fracture are not the same thing

You couldn't have fractured your ankle and returned after 2 days.

Ankle fracture is a serious orthopaedic emergency that would keep you off work for at least 3months.

Sprain was what you had, mumu.

Ur mad mother mumu
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:54am On May 18, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

Ur mad mother mumu

Go and get yourself properly educated.

You obviously had some poor quality roadside education

We're not in the same category.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Newton2024: 6:25pm On May 18, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Go and get yourself properly educated.

You obviously had some poor quality roadside education

We're not in the same category.
Don't bother to educate him anymore. Leave him for his ignorance.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by AzzaMan: 6:16am On May 30, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Bro, Come and do fraud.

Na you go dy chat those UK women for me, their English too strong. Me no come dy bomb UK women again, Dem go dy correct your English up and down.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Taxi Driver With No Legs Spotted In Lagos By A Nairalander / Felicia Chidi, Commercial Vehicle Driver And How She Lost Her Estate / Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.