Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,365 members, 7,812,046 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays (32690 Views)

My Discovery About Private Schools / Do Not Pay Too Much Attention To The People, True Life Story / Hard Work Does Not Pay If The Right Things Are Not Done (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by emmyN(m): 10:23am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Go on facebook and search for Digital Witch Support Team. The answer to your questions lies there.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by TemmyT002(m): 10:24am On May 04, 2022
It is get paid as you work.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Flexy33: 10:25am On May 04, 2022
It seems you own a school.
Oga regardless of the reasons, try and pay you workers salary, even if u need to borrow, they are humans and they have needs
descarado:

Thank you.

Don't forget what they pay to ministry of education annually.
That's where more than half of their income go to.
You object, greedy staff will come and seal up your school.
Those doing well will readily pay.

People who can handle private school business are church owners cos they inject church fund at the first few yrs to keep the school running before they will see profit.

Others are backed by politicians. The elite ones has to add the ' abroad' flavour to attract parents and wards and they are very expensive. Their teachers earn very well too.

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by endyosas: 10:26am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun
pls lets set a gofundme acc for her

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by chaseblack(m): 10:26am On May 04, 2022
sinkhole:
There is no time that teachers do not work: they work at night and during the day, they work on weekends and during holidays!
During holidays, when students are relaxing, the teachers are already preparing for the next resumption. You can not just start preparing lesson notes and plans during school periods!

He doesn't know the amount of time a teacher devotes to make lesson plans. He think say writing lesson plan na beans

4 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ibechris(m): 10:26am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

U can as well choose another career as quick as possible.
My wife read education history at the University but she is a chartered banker with 13years experience.

U too can be whatever u have decided not in the next world because there is no assurance for that.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by kokomilala(m): 10:27am On May 04, 2022
It's the most terrible job experience I've ever had. It's better to suffer and hustle bit by bit than to be a private school teacher in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by yusluvad(m): 10:29am On May 04, 2022
Poor salaries that comes with steady carryover. You'll get March salary at the end of May, too bad... embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Tomilola360: 10:29am On May 04, 2022
sinkhole:
Just imagine what that guy said, quite unfair!
How many civil servants carry office work home? Teachers have no choice but to do so! I have seen a teacher marking students scripts, in her house, 7PM. This was a married woman with kids of her own to take care of!

If I discorvered that my children school do not pay their teachers on holidays, I will withdraw my children from such school!

I did not even know that you are the one who made the statement I quoted grin grin grin

lol. the point was if they don't work they shouldn't get paid. But the truth is they work.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by zedegit: 10:29am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Are you a graduate? Did you take blood oath to be in that particular school?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by AbuAeesha: 10:29am On May 04, 2022
the fact is not all schools can afford to pay their staff salary during holiday.and so during those holiday period they won't also compel the staff to come to sch either to form their lesson plans,so those staff have time/right to venture into other activities during that period.
some schs still pay half salary while some pay full salary during holidays.
even though some proprietors might be greedy it still depends on how financial bouyant the school for them to pay staff judiciously.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 10:30am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Bros, I am a teacher in an elite A-Level college and I tell you, if I come to this world 100 times , I would be a teacher..

The perks of teaching in my institution?

6-figure salaries

Paid annual leave

Excellent lunch and breakfact

Salaries paid promptly by 26th of every month

School sponsored professional and self-development trainings nationally and internationally

13th-month salaries

Full payment of salaries even during 2 months of lockdown, ( with palliatives)

Approachable Executive Director ( God bless Mrs FKA)

Excellent welfare services for staff from junior to senior..

Nice accommodation for staff who live far

Flexible working time ( both online or physical) especially for a woman like me

I have lost count of so many online teaching professional diplomas my institution has paid for in Euros and dollars

The list is endless

I am not in a perfect place, but our complaints are very very few..

Bros, teaching is the best if you are in a good and thriving school

Best wishes to all

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Thomasankara(m): 10:31am On May 04, 2022
wiseone28:
Teaching sweet but the pay is the problem.

Keeps one going especially seeing those children smiling and the have no clue about a fvckup country they are in.
Nigeria is on a timed bomb
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sinkhole: 10:34am On May 04, 2022
Tomilola360:

lol. the point was if they don't work they shouldn't get paid. But the truth is they work.
A teacher that did not work during the holiday will clearly show during his/her delivery during the school session.
What the private school do is to employ unqualified teachers (non NCE, BEd, PGDE), those teachers can not complain if they are exploited, as the judgement of Ministry will most likely be that those people should be disengaged and the school should employ qualified teachers who will stand on their rights!
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by tunjilee003: 10:34am On May 04, 2022
Lamasta:
Atimes I do wonder if labour laws applies to private organizations and firms in Nigeria
not applicable to private schools,most private schools in Nigeria pay less the minimum wage and assign many duties on their employees, working in a private school is another form of modern slavery..

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by WycliffeSMB(m): 10:36am On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

Bros, I am a teacher in an elite A-Level college and I tell you, if I come to this world 100 times , I would be a teacher..

6-figure salaries

Paid annual leave

School sponsored professional and self-development trainings nationally and internationally

13th-month salaries

I have lost count of so many online teaching professional diplomas my institution has paid for in Euros and dollars

The list is endless

I am not in a perfect place, but our complains are very very few..

Best wishes to all

Can I please know more about you and this place you work?

I'd be delighted if you can put me through.
God bless!

(Whatsapp)

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by colp2015: 10:36am On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

Please, what's your view about this policy, guy?
Saddening!

We still have a long way to go in this clime.

How would they (teachers) take care of themselves and families during holidays?

Now I know why many of them do not return to their employer after holiday period is over.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by oluwaseyi0: 10:37am On May 04, 2022
Lamasta:
Atimes I do wonder if labour laws applies to private organizations and firms in Nigeria

There are no such thing as labor law in Nigeria

When my former employer entrench lots of staff in 2019 across 3 to 4 countries the labor law in those other countries were applied but in case of Nigeria we were categorically told there's no reasonable labor law in Nigeria hence they have to resort to using labor law of USA (which is the headquarters of the company) for staff in Nigeria
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ExcelDBM: 10:37am On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

6-figure salaries

Paid annual leave

13th-month salaries

The list is endless

I am not in a perfect place, but our complains are very very few..

Best wishes to all

In this Nigeria? Haba madam! This your tale sounds incredulous to the ears.

How much is their school fees that they pay you 6 figures

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Nobody: 10:38am On May 04, 2022
That's the contract you negotiated.
If you wanna negotiate next time, ask if they pay during holidays.
Those private schools use teachers wella. They prefer if all tutors can be part time sef

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by seanwilliam(m): 10:38am On May 04, 2022
dontrulee:
Alaye, no work no pay.
How will a private organization pay you for work you didn't do?? You can organize private coaching during the holidays to get extra cash.

Most teachers in private schools will not recieve pay for April because they worked only two weeks.
and they shouldn’t be paid for that two weeks abi ??
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 10:39am On May 04, 2022
ExcelDBM:

In this Nigeria? Haba madam! This your tale sounds incredulous to the ears.

How much is their school fees that they pay you 6 figures

5.5 million for boarders

4:2 million for day students..

I am not even including my private IELTS, TOEFL, and SAT lessons I charge extra for..

Bros, get the right certification and connection ( and of course grace from God)

You'll find teaching to be one of the most lucrative out there, without taking all your time..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Daytonbale: 10:40am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun
how u take manage 15k per month
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by clintino700(m): 10:40am On May 04, 2022
I work as part of the management body of a private school, I can tell you bodly that parents inadequate to pay school fees which is the income to the school is the major problems. Imagine a school with 40% debt from parents couple with a lot of maintenance and levies to the govt bodies. School even find it difficult to pay working salaries talk more of holidays.
The country is just rigid on most people, which one of the effect falls back to the school.
You even lose more when they withdraw the child to a govt school or more cheaper one.
Menh is not easy on private school, we need grants to actually achieve those dispense.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by lexy2014: 10:40am On May 04, 2022
Ekitischool:
Sometimes, I'm surprised when I read things like this. A graduate earning 15k as a teacher? I guess it's because such teachers don't want to leave their comfort zones. If you can teach in Ekiti State, send your CV to ekitischool@gmail.com. Least salary is 30k and some schools will offer you free accommodation.

How do you know that they don't want to leave their comfort zones? Is that what they told u or are in their minds?

Why don't u have teaching job of minimum 100k to offer?

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by dontrulee: 10:40am On May 04, 2022
seanwilliam:
and they shouldn’t be paid for that two weeks abi ??

That will be wickedness. They should pay at least half
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Malawian(m): 10:40am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun
15k for one class or all classes?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ib0221: 10:42am On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

Please, what's your view about this policy, guy?
As someone who has had the honour of being in the two positions, this is my short take.
It is wrong that anyone should be denied his or her salary once the work is done. I had worked at two different schools before and I was owed in both, but I was not that angry because I knew what was going on and talked my colleagues out of taking drastic measures. The parents are the one mostly responding for this problem. They don't pay in time and sometimes take away a child to another without paying outstanding bill. In fact there was a parent that begged for almost two terms and later took the children to another school when she had the money. However, proprietor (tress) can avoid non payment of salary this day because there are different platforms that are ready to provide loan for salary. You, as a teacher, take a loan and make sure that your proprietor is a guarantor. Free to ask for guidance.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Ropostic120(m): 10:42am On May 04, 2022
It is only that I don't wanna do yahoo
Teaching in private school has been the most heart breaking stories of my life since 2008 I graduated.

Some orphans like me are really struggling in Nigeria and yet we don't want to kill and do JUJU to get breakthroughs

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by snoopz: 10:42am On May 04, 2022
The private school i started with was paying half during holidays, na last year Dec spoil everything wey i make up my mind, the proprietress no Pay untill 30th of dec i be like wetin con remain during festive period? Dem for no kuku pay na
Feb like this naso Tescom call me for interview i happy die. I Sha don commot na the remaining ones i dey pray for now, but everybody no fit work for lag govt at the same time

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ExcelDBM: 10:43am On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

5.5 million for boarders

4:2 million for day students..

Oh I understand now. Kudos to you then. smiley

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Perfectbeing(m): 10:43am On May 04, 2022
Kobicove:
All private school owners rely on tuition paid by students to pay salaries of teachers...everyone knows that most parents in Nigeria do not like to pay school fees of their wards on time undecided
I thought the proprietor of my secondary school was a stingy/greedy man when he send students home that haven't paid school fees even on the first day of resumption. But now I understand why he does that. Before first test, all students must have paid all their school fees.

But even at that this man still dey owe school fees.. The number of students in my class alone is enough to pay all the teachers in the school their salaries for at least two months.
Heard the man use to deliberately owe teachers salaries so they can't leave the school..
Most private school owners are just heartless.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Taxi Driver With No Legs Spotted In Lagos By A Nairalander / Felicia Chidi, Commercial Vehicle Driver And How She Lost Her Estate / Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.