Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays (32687 Views)

My Discovery About Private Schools / Do Not Pay Too Much Attention To The People, True Life Story / Hard Work Does Not Pay If The Right Things Are Not Done (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by molybdenum0012: 12:04pm On May 04, 2022
I don’t know why people still work in mushroom private schools. They treat their teacher like piece of sh*t. That is not right. I used to be in that position for many years though.

Today, I only teach privately 40hours in a month and earn nothing less than100k. If you are not teaching in international schools that pay well, develop yourself and seek for private tutoring, both online and in-person.

However, you must be really good to keep being in business ‘Cos most of your clients will be by referrals. It’s not for average teachers, you must be really smart and stand out. Most parents will like to see your impact on the kids within a short time.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 12:06pm On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

Please, what's your view about this policy, guy?

I swear, I was paid peanuts as March salary. I had to start looking for lesson centers to teach cos they won't pay me April salary.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Paulpaulpaul(m): 12:07pm On May 04, 2022
ASPIREX:

This shows the very depth of your education and enlightenment.

Your understanding of economics will make the combo of Okonjo Iweala and Soludo hide their faces in shame.

Well done Bro!

Kudos Bro!

Bro, that's the fact. Most of the schools are not self sufficient. I volunteer to be driving the school bus because I knew their struggle in a school I was

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 04, 2022
ASPIREX:

This shows the very depth of your education and enlightenment.

Your understanding of economics will make the combo of Okonjo Iweala and Soludo hide their faces in shame.

Well done Bro!

Kudos Bro!

imagine an individual who just opened a school with a population of just "10 students" for a start, and such an individual have teachers who are working for him.........out of the 10 pupils peeharps only 5-6 may pay there schools fees in time, as the owner of the school how are you expected to pay your teachers salary with that little amount, those teachers that are working also have families and would not want to hear any excuses of parents not paying there children school fees as been the reason for them not to be paid. That is why I suggested that a proprietor or a school owner should not just be solely dependent on school fees alone to pay his workers(the teachers)
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 04, 2022
Na so ! When you look at the private school.s payroll you laugh especially when you consider the armed robber fees they charge.

90% of the revenue goes to the proprietors, the scraps goto to the teachers , who have been taught to wait till they get to heaven to get their reward. cool
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Ashirioluwa: 12:09pm On May 04, 2022
zedegit:

Do you have a better offer? Don't come here to form witch. Someone is earning #15k, another person offered to double the pay. You still looking for how to stop it yet you don't have any solution.

Are you not a witch?
Some people have problems understanding English. I don’t have any problem about the job or the person that offers the job. I was only talking about our society.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by kingemaker(m): 12:11pm On May 04, 2022
sript:

Like what skill one can learn, from udemy or Coursera to earn a living??

Do you have any activity you love doing for fun or something you do due to the nature of your work. examples are copywriting, data analysis etc.

You can check up these courses and enroll. Apart from the knowledge you gain, the certifications will also boost your chances of getting jobs via linkedin or even FB (facebook groups where like minds meet and discuss).
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 12:12pm On May 04, 2022
sinkhole:
10k per term? Does that even cover the transportation fee?

Lol... at all...some people will still not pay....
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Lekan239(m): 12:14pm On May 04, 2022
Kobicove:
All private school owners rely on tuition paid by students to pay salaries of teachers...everyone knows that most parents in Nigeria do not like to pay school fees of their wards on time undecided
all companies in Nigeria rely on the sale they make from their goods and services.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Lekan239(m): 12:16pm On May 04, 2022
subsidywise18:
Why

1.Private schools rely on what parents pay, not on an allocation from the government.

2.Many times, parents don't pay on time....because poverty, issues, etc. Many times, parents withdraw from private schools and go public.

3.As a result, most private schools are short of money in the period when there is no school.

4.It's messy, yes, but if we propose the obvious solution (government taking over schools)...the government too would soon run out of cash to pay for the schools.

5.Note that private schools pay for overheads, supplies etc from their pocket. No government imprest or whatever to pay for such stuff.

6.That's why fees in private schools are high too.
all private companies in Nigeria rely on the sale they make from their goods and services. not from the government pocket and they still pay Thier workers.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by mamatwiny(f): 12:18pm On May 04, 2022
May God bless teachers biko.

I grew up in a family of teachers and swore never to be a teacher when I grow up.

I wonder what I will be doing with 15k salary, even 30k salary. Won't I live in a house and pay rent? What of transportation? Won't the guys marry , have kids and buy pampers?
The way most teachers in Nigeria survive is a miracle.

My advise- find a way to Japa to Austria. It is cheap to go via studies. Also try bank marketing. Even if you are not good, you will learn on the job. It is free salary for 6months till they sack you if you don't cope. Till this comes , you can add extra mural lessons . My sister pays up 30k for extra mural lessons for her 3 kids. Exam classes are costlier.
If u get 6 kids for extra lessons, that is 60k
My mum survived with storage business. She knew when to store palm oil,ogbono, garri, be ,, maize , crayfish etc.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Lekan239(m): 12:19pm On May 04, 2022
SambankmanFried:

if you can teach people how to trade online you can make that off one referral
better than wasting your time. 15k in nigeria is not a salary - its worse than slavery
why do you think those top secondary school in Nigeria are in that position?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 12:19pm On May 04, 2022
Tomilola360:
I don't think teachers should be paid when they don't work.

If you work 2 weeks in a month, you should get the 2 weeks worth of pay.

However, the main issue that needs to be addressed is what teachers get paid. The salaries are ridiculously small. How teachers survive with this stipend surprises me.

And to say the school owners don't make enough money is a very big fat lie.

Bro u are being wicked. I work in a private school. They will force us to come by 7:30 and leave by 4:30. and yet they pay us 16850, if we work for only three weeks in a month, they subtract 5k and pay us 12k. But there are times we worked one week more in addition to the normal 4 weeks per month, yet they won't add anything to day one week extra we worked.

If u own a school and you are not too financially bouyant to pay teachers,then teach most of the subjects yourself, conduct the assembly yourself, organize the school activities yourself and do most of the work yourself, each of your teachers only need to teach one subjects and they only need to come when they have class and once they finish teaching it they can leave for the day to go and find another thing to do to get money.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by igala1(m): 12:19pm On May 04, 2022
I was a teacher in a private school. I was disengaged after just a year in 2017. What I observed was that, as you do other people's work, that's how you'd do your. While I was in the school, I multitasked,i was physics, chemistry, maths, further maths and biology teacher. After I left, by God's assistance, I started a tutorial center with only 11 students, today, we have 179 students. I prepare them for WAEC, JAMB, POST UTME,Iconcentrate only on examination classes. 86 students have gained admission directly to University from our center. I've employed 5 teachers on part-time. We'd soon integrate forward into a Jamb-registered CBT center. Teaching is sweetie you have the passion and not eyeing money first.

5 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sript: 12:21pm On May 04, 2022
kingemaker:

Do you have any activity you love doing for fun or something you do due to the nature of your work. examples are copywriting, data analysis etc.

You can check up these courses and enroll. Apart from the knowledge you gain, the certifications will also boost your chances of getting jobs via linkedin or even FB (facebook groups where like minds meet and discuss).

Oh thanks
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 12:24pm On May 04, 2022
dontrulee:
Alaye, no work no pay.
How will a private organization pay you for work you didn't do?? You can organize private coaching during the holidays to get extra cash.

Most teachers in private schools will not recieve pay for April because they worked only two weeks.

Why are you guys saying this. There is still lesson notes and lesson plan to write. And that shit is not easy
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Mikeangelo0433: 12:26pm On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

5.5 million for boarders

4:2 million for day students..

I am not even including my private IELTS, TOEFL, and SAT lessons I charge extra for..

Bros, get the right certification and connection ( and of course grace from God)

You'll find teaching to be one of the most lucrative out there, without taking all your time..

To start with what sort of certifications am I to get under my belt and which one should I start with.If u don't mind I might also like to chat with you privately.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by kafeii123: 12:27pm On May 04, 2022
Mushroom private schools
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 12:28pm On May 04, 2022
Flexy33:
It seems you own a school.
Oga regardless of the reasons, try and pay you workers salary, even if u need to borrow, they are humans and they have needs

I think he should teach most of the subject himself let his teachers take only one subjects each. They only need to come to school when they have class and leave immediately when they are done teaching that their particular subject according to the time table even if it is by 11am so that they can go and find other things to do to get money.

Keeping ur teachers in school from morning to evening and paying them peanuts is inhumane

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 04, 2022
Lekan239:
all private companies in Nigeria rely on the sale they make from their goods and services. not from the government pocket and they still pay Thier workers.

Private schools make money on a periodic basis compared to other private companies who make money on a daily basis.

That's why
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 12:31pm On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

Bros, I am a teacher in an elite A-Level college and I tell you, if I come to this world 100 times , I would be a teacher..

The perks of teaching in my institution?

6-figure salaries

Paid annual leave

Excellent lunch and breakfact

Salaries paid promptly by 26th of every month

School sponsored professional and self-development trainings nationally and internationally

13th-month salaries

Full payment of salaries even during 2 months of lockdown, ( with palliatives)

Approachable Executive Director ( God bless Mrs FKA)

Excellent welfare services for staff from junior to senior..

Nice accommodation for staff who live far

Flexible working time ( both online or physical) especially for a woman like me

I have lost count of so many online teaching professional diplomas my institution has paid for in Euros and dollars

The list is endless

I am not in a perfect place, but our complaints are very very few..

Bros, teaching is the best if you are in a good and thriving school

Best wishes to all

Abeg which skul is that and how can I apply

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Tomilola360: 12:31pm On May 04, 2022
shantti:

Bro u are being wicked. I work in a private school. They will force us to come by 7:30 and leave by 4:30. and yet they pay us 16850, if we work for only three weeks in a month, they subtract 5k and pay us 12k. But there are times we worked one week more in addition to the normal 4 weeks per month, yet they won't add anything to day one week extra we worked.

If u own a school and you are not too financially bouyant to pay teachers,then teach most of the subjects yourself, conduct the assembly yourself, organize the school activities yourself and do most of the work yourself, each of your teachers only need to teach one subjects and they only need to come when they have class and once they finish teaching it they can leave for the day to go and find another thing to do to get money.

ok
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Dada4me: 12:34pm On May 04, 2022
Though I don't pay much but I pay round the year.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Kobicove(m): 12:35pm On May 04, 2022
Lekan239:
all companies in Nigeria rely on the sale they make from their goods and services.

Companies that are involved in manufacturing or rendering of services stay in operation for 12 calendar months in a year, schools do not stay open for 12 calendar months in a year; most companies will never sell goods on credit but schools allow their students to spend half the term before paying their school fees in full...this is one of the reasons why they tend to have a high level of bad debts
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sugarleen: 12:49pm On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

Please, what's your view about this policy, guy?
it's same story here in kaduna State. I've not been paid for two months now and counting. How do they expect us to survive?? It's disheartening that teachers are not valued in a country with no values. SMH

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 12:49pm On May 04, 2022
Mikeangelo0433:
To start with what sort of certifications am I to get under my belt and which one should I start with.If u don't mind I might also like to chat with you privately.

It depends on your field

To teach in elite schools, I strongly advice at least a Postgraduate or Master's degree ( not just bachelor's)

Also in a COBIS, APEN and AISEN school, you should get CIE certification from British Council at least
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by BabaIbo: 12:50pm On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

Bros, do you know as an educated folk and especially a teacher, you could express a contrary view and opinion without resorting to insults? It's one of our basic ethic and tenets, remember?

Also note that teaching and teaching establishments differ everywhere

I happen to be one of the lucky few with great teaching experience ( l have had a few bad ones in my almost 20 years of teaching too) but that doesn't mean all is bad with the profession

Best wishes to you sir

I only asked a question and no insult intended. Referring to the first line in my other reply.

Yes, it differs, but saying teaching is the best i.e the best job is an overstatement. There are other jobs far better than teaching.

BTW, I am just that type of teacher people call accidental teachers, it was never my plan to teach but due to NYSC(that posted me to a school) and Post-NYSC employment wahala in Nigeria I decided to go into teaching.

Anyway, it is all good and part of life journey, so I thank God.

I wish you the same ma'am!

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by saintkeppy(m): 12:53pm On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Imagine the huge salary u'll get being an English teacher in a non-english speaking country abroad.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Victerica(m): 1:01pm On May 04, 2022
Wicked people everywhere!

Both the men and women!
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by zelnababa(m): 1:02pm On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun
15k, abeg for what?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 1:07pm On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

5.5 million for boarders

4:2 million for day students..

I am not even including my private IELTS, TOEFL, and SAT lessons I charge extra for..

Bros, get the right certification and connection ( and of course grace from God)

You'll find teaching to be one of the most lucrative out there, without taking all your time..

Where is this skul abeg, u r keeping me in suspense

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Oju4190: 1:08pm On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:

1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun
Wow....so u mean Ur monthly salary is 15k......not even enough to buy a bag of rice.....It is well with u ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Taxi Driver With No Legs Spotted In Lagos By A Nairalander / Felicia Chidi, Commercial Vehicle Driver And How She Lost Her Estate / Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.