Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,107 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays (32691 Views)

My Discovery About Private Schools / Do Not Pay Too Much Attention To The People, True Life Story / Hard Work Does Not Pay If The Right Things Are Not Done (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by kwaso2: 1:12pm On May 04, 2022
SavageResponse:

To know the answer to your question I suggest you set up your own school then during holidays when there is no money coming in you go and take money from your personal savings to pay your teachers let us see if that school will survive for up to 2 years!
2years is much, 6 months. The new trend now is that many parents rotate their wards to evade their bills. Is more painful, when such parents have more than one ward.

Another painful thing is that, it's difficult to increase school fees to avoid losing students despite the increase of everything including wage bill.

Criticizing school owners is the easiest thing to do, do you even think about their own survival? If it's too easy, Start just a creche.

I suggest communication from the part of the staff and sincerity from the owners will go a long way to resolve most of the challenges.

We are all managing Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Searchingvictor: 1:25pm On May 04, 2022
mrlycan:
I work in a private school. The best in Ondo State. Even if holiday is 1 year..you'll get your full pay. They stand out.

Link me abeg. I can teach CRS, civic and social studies.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Properoo(m): 1:30pm On May 04, 2022
Don't moan too much. just go and start a private school of your own na
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Naustine(m): 1:32pm On May 04, 2022
BabaIbo:

Smiles, we have similar stories.

I and my former colleagues who're degree holders were paid off by my former employer moment before lock down.
Reason was because they could no longer afford to pay degree holders.

Although it was challenging that moment, little did I know it was a blessing in disguise, it was God pushing me to where blessings, joy, mercy and grace will locate me.

Now, I can pay all the workforce in that school were I worked before quitting working for others.

I can relate. I will visit the school next week when I start my leave. Private school work is as good as not having a job

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Searchingvictor: 1:32pm On May 04, 2022
powerblaze:

My mum runs a school and she pays teachers during holidays. I'm surprised that isn't the norm.

Where's the sch please. I teach CRS, civic and social studies

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Fescoblack(m): 1:32pm On May 04, 2022
Don't forget that students too don't pay Scholl fees during hoilday
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Searchingvictor: 1:36pm On May 04, 2022
mamatwiny:
May God bless teachers biko.

I grew up in a family of teachers and swore never to be a teacher when I grow up.

I wonder what I will be doing with 15k salary, even 30k salary. Won't I live in a house and pay rent? What of transportation? Won't the guys marry , have kids and buy pampers?
The way most teachers in Nigeria survive is a miracle.

My advise- find a way to Japa to Austria. It is cheap to go via studies. Also try bank marketing. Even if you are not good, you will learn on the job. It is free salary for 6months till they sack you if you don't cope. Till this comes , you can add extra mural lessons . My sister pays up 30k for extra mural lessons for her 3 kids. Exam classes are costlier.
If u get 6 kids for extra lessons, that is 60k
My mum survived with storage business. She knew when to store palm oil,ogbono, garri, be ,, maize , crayfish etc.

That Austria japa, how will I go about it?

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by tomzyELNINO: 1:36pm On May 04, 2022
Anaerobi:

Please your statement is not true. It doesn't worth it.

You don't think they should be paid even on hoildays?

Your sentors and remembers are been paid even on months break, talk more of a teacher that gets a peanut as salary

Your senators get free money while private schools dont. The parents that put their children in private schools are also Nigerians who are affected by the economy and some are chronic debtors who just dont want to pay.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by BabaIbo: 1:48pm On May 04, 2022
Naustine:

I can relate. I will visit the school next week when I start my leave. Private school work is as good as not having a job

Good...
No be lie bro.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Anaerobi(m): 1:48pm On May 04, 2022
tomzyELNINO:

Your senators get free money while private schools dont. The parents that put their children in private schools are also Nigerians who are affected by the economy and some are chronic debtors who just dont want to pay.

Our senators please.

Stop excluding yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Mikeangelo0433: 1:51pm On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

It depends on your field

To teach in elite schools, I strongly advice at least a Postgraduate or Master's degree ( not just bachelor's)

Also in a COBIS, APEN and AISEN school, you should get CIE certification from British Council at least
I studied biochemistry. Well I haven't got a Master's degree yet but I have a post graduate diploma in education certificate.Now how can I get a CIE certification? Please I need your valuable response.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by shantti(m): 1:54pm On May 04, 2022
Burruchaga71:
Guy, try as much to find your self in China. Thank me later

Bro why?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by breeezefe: 1:55pm On May 04, 2022
molybdenum0012:
I don’t know why people still work in mushroom private schools. They treat their teacher like piece of sh*t. That is not right. I used to be in that position for many years though.

Today, I only teach privately 40hours in a month and earn nothing less than100k. If you are not teaching in international schools that pay well, develop yourself and seek for private tutoring, both online and in-person.

However, you must be really good to keep being in business ‘Cos most of your clients will be by referrals. It’s not for average teachers, you must be really smart and stand out. Most parents will like to see your impact on the kids within a short time.

How can go about the bolded. I really am interested in online teaching offers. But I have not come across any. From your moniker, I guess you teach chemistry.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Kurtil(m): 1:56pm On May 04, 2022
phemmyfour:
They are selfish

Yours is small, I am the maths teacher in my school, JSS and SSS, combined with commerce, business study and economics for SSS... Further maths and geography still dey there oo...

Term just started and I am almost exhausted...

Salary for last month, we are yet to see...
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Teeklef(m): 1:56pm On May 04, 2022
It's not an easy job being a teacher in 9ja,I'm on my way to ulcer( mo ti fe ni ulcer).
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by segvic(m): 2:13pm On May 04, 2022
I don't support school owners owing salary. It is also important for teachers to have other sources of income.
When I was teaching, I have different sources of income in fact I usually don't know when they paid my salary. Most of my colleague always complain.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Dipson15: 2:26pm On May 04, 2022
Pls i just sent a CV to the email you provided
Ekitischool:
Sometimes, I'm surprised when I read things like this. A graduate earning 15k as a teacher? I guess it's because such teachers don't want to leave their comfort zones. If you can teach in Ekiti State, send your CV to ekitischool@gmail.com. Least salary is 30k and some schools will offer you free accommodation.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Reality3080: 2:38pm On May 04, 2022
segvic:
I don't support school owners owing salary. It is also important for teachers to have other sources of income.
When I was teaching, I have different sources of income in fact I usually don't know when they paid my salary. Most of my colleague always complain.
how will someone working 7.30am to 5pm have another source of income?
He will b tired b4 getting home,he will still write lesson notes,eat,prepare for the next day

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by JoshuaSG: 2:53pm On May 04, 2022
It is ridicules a lot in Nigeria that teaching staff in non-government schools are neither formally nor professionally recognised as teachers. They are not members of the NUT, or ASUU__for those in tertiary institutions. This explains why their employers don't respect them, but treat them as casual staff.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 3:31pm On May 04, 2022
Mikeangelo0433:
I studied biochemistry. Well I haven't got a Master's degree yet but I have a post graduate diploma in education certificate.Now how can I get a CIE certification? Please I need your valuable response.

Information about getting CIE certification for teachers is only sent by British Council to school affliated or registered under COBIS, AISEN and APEN hence getting that information on registration is hardly easy..

Right now, a certification for CIE is on but contact British council Ikoyi through their website..

Just search britishcouncil.org.ng and ask for information about CIE certification in Chemistry

If they still have spots left they will tell you , but they charge in British pounds ( starting from 82 pounds)

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by goldenone(f): 3:38pm On May 04, 2022
The school I work pay 12 months and several other bonuses termly.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Emma1Oj(m): 3:48pm On May 04, 2022
I was went for an interview at one private school. I was called back for second stage. I was asked to come resume some wiks later. Before I left I asked; what happens to my salary during brake/holidays period? I was asure my salary will continue reading. Before I kn it the AD jus said; they will get back to me in 2 or 3 days time. Never knew that my question was a forbidden one.

Thank God dey didn't call me back bcus I later got *3 of what they intend paying me

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Dudeforall(f): 4:06pm On May 04, 2022
mrlycan:
I work in a private school. The best in Ondo State. Even if holiday is 1 year..you'll get your full pay. They stand out.
Where in ondo state?

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Omobada(m): 4:13pm On May 04, 2022
Ekitischool:
Sometimes, I'm surprised when I read things like this. A graduate earning 15k as a teacher? I guess it's because such teachers don't want to leave their comfort zones. If you can teach in Ekiti State, send your CV to ekitischool@gmail.com. Least salary is 30k and some schools will offer you free accommodation.
Are you for real oga?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Nten: 4:17pm On May 04, 2022
einsteine:

Do private schools earn revenue while not in session? Teachers who don't like the salary should not take the job.

Strikes are a foolish way of attempting to resolve labor issues. That can only work in an unfree market. In a free market, someone would take your job and those who try to force people into "downtooling" would be sent to jail where they belong.
Which session are you talking about? Do government school earn revenue while not in session? The fees paid covers either the term or the session which covers breaks between terms or session.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sirrotex: 4:40pm On May 04, 2022
This is not true. The proper question to ask is how many of these aggrieved teachers have ventilated their grievances through the appropriate channels
oluwaseyi0:

There are no such thing as labor law in Nigeria

When my former employer entrench lots of staff in 2019 across 3 to 4 countries the labor law in those other countries were applied but in case of Nigeria we were categorically told there's no reasonable labor law in Nigeria hence they have to resort to using labor law of USA (which is the headquarters of the company) for staff in Nigeria
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Khaysee: 4:46pm On May 04, 2022
Affordable men clothing payment on delivery
Shirts 4k
Chinos 4500
Jeans 6k

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Stablex: 4:55pm On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

Please, what's your view about this policy, guy?

I beg to disagree. The school i work with pays. They pay full salary during the holidays.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by pizapato(m): 5:06pm On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Since you teach English, just gather money and move to Asian countries (India, Indonesia and the likes) where English teachers are on high demand

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Emdebby2: 5:21pm On May 04, 2022
Not all private schools.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Bbbw: 5:51pm On May 04, 2022
Why
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Greenshadow771: 6:27pm On May 04, 2022
Running private school is not easy as people thought

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Taxi Driver With No Legs Spotted In Lagos By A Nairalander / Felicia Chidi, Commercial Vehicle Driver And How She Lost Her Estate / Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.