Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays (32681 Views)

My Discovery About Private Schools / Do Not Pay Too Much Attention To The People, True Life Story / Hard Work Does Not Pay If The Right Things Are Not Done (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 11:21am On May 04, 2022
Flexy33:
It seems you own a school.
Oga regardless of the reasons, try and pay you workers salary, even if u need to borrow, they are humans and they have needs

When he borrows, and then the loan interest kicks in,hope you will be there to support him??

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajiboyeshola(m): 11:21am On May 04, 2022
Guys shine your brain. private school is a private business. you are just working to support his dream. think of a business you too can do and start small.

4 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 11:22am On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

Bros, I am a teacher in an elite A-Level college and I tell you, if I come to this world 100 times , I would be a teacher..

The perks of teaching in my institution?

6-figure salaries

Paid annual leave

Excellent lunch and breakfact

Salaries paid promptly by 26th of every month

School sponsored professional and self-development trainings nationally and internationally

13th-month salaries

Full payment of salaries even during 2 months of lockdown, ( with palliatives)

Approachable Executive Director ( God bless Mrs FKA)

Excellent welfare services for staff from junior to senior..

Nice accommodation for staff who live far

Flexible working time ( both online or physical) especially for a woman like me

I have lost count of so many online teaching professional diplomas my institution has paid for in Euros and dollars

The list is endless

I am not in a perfect place, but our complains are very very few..

Bros, teaching is the best if you are in a good and thriving school

Best wishes to all

This kind school dey Lekki or Vi, and school fees might be 2-3 million per term....
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by BabaIbo: 11:23am On May 04, 2022
Naustine:
Was working as a private school teacher by this time last year, na during lockdown I know say I no get work.

Thank God things changed

Smiles, we have similar stories.

I and my former colleagues who're degree holders were paid off by my former employer moment before lock down.
Reason was because they could no longer afford to pay degree holders.

Although it was challenging that moment, little did I know it was a blessing in disguise, it was God pushing me to where blessings, joy, mercy and grace will locate me.

Now, I can pay all the workforce in that school were I worked before quitting working for others.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Paramount01(m): 11:23am On May 04, 2022
Tomilola360:
I don't think teachers should be paid when they don't work.

If you work 2 weeks in a month, you should get the 2 weeks worth of pay.

However, the main issue that needs to be addressed is what teachers get paid. The salaries are ridiculously small. How teachers survive with this stipend surprises me.

And to say the school owners don't make enough money is a very big fat lie.

But people working with government collect leave with leave bonuses
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by demainman: 11:23am On May 04, 2022
A science teacher is needed in a private school - courses he/she will teach are physics and chemistry.
Payment is 22k.
Vacancy is only for people in Abaranje area of Ikotun.
Quote me, if you are interested.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 11:24am On May 04, 2022
sinkhole:
A teacher that did not work during the holiday will clearly show during his/her delivery during the school session.
What the private school do is to employ unqualified teachers (non NCE, BEd, PGDE), those teachers can not complain if they are exploited, as the judgement of Ministry will most likely be that those people should be disengaged and the school should employ qualified teachers who will stand on their rights!

My brother... a school in Ebute metta, collects 5k per term, and yet the parents don't pay school fees on time, how then do you want owner to employ graduates?? You sef reason am now...

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Truvelisback(m): 11:24am On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

Please, what's your view about this policy, guy?
That's why they are called private. It's the funds they get from pupils and students school fees they use to pay teachers.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 11:26am On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

5.5 million for boarders

4:2 million for day students..

I am not even including my private IELTS, TOEFL, and SAT lessons I charge extra for..

Bros, get the right certification and connection ( and of course grace from God)

You'll find teaching to be one of the most lucrative out there, without taking all your time..

See what we are talking about... how then can a school which collects 15-20k per term with slow payment, be able to pay high salaries?

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Babaalajo(m): 11:30am On May 04, 2022
I don't have much oo but I will send my daughter's teacher something today because of this post, it's not easy to teach abeg...

5 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 11:30am On May 04, 2022
BabaIbo:

Which rubbish teaching is the best?

Just say you have a good paying job(even the pay is peanut to some people) and don't open your mouth waaah to say what is not.

I have done teaching jobs with side gigs(home tutorials with good pays) in the past.

But if I have the opportunity of doing a teaching job in the best working environment in Nigeria or being a business man(medium enterprise OR higher), I will choose business over and over again.

Bros, do you know as an educated folk and especially a teacher, you could express a contrary view and opinion without resorting to insults? It's one of our basic ethic and tenets, remember?

Also note that teaching and teaching establishments differ everywhere

I happen to be one of the lucky few with great teaching experience ( l have had a few bad ones in my almost 20 years of teaching too) but that doesn't mean all is bad with the profession

Best wishes to you sir

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 11:31am On May 04, 2022
Jokerman:

See what we are talking about... how then can a school which collects 15-20k per term with slow payment, be able to pay high salaries?

That's the problem bros
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Burruchaga71(m): 11:32am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun
Guy, try as much to find your self in China. Thank me later
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ExcelDBM: 11:33am On May 04, 2022
zedegit:

Six figures start from #100 000. You don't think it's possible? Some schools take over #500 000 to millions as tuition fee.

Please you need to disengage your poverty mentality before you can progress.

It was a mistake as to the term "six figures" and the bolded was unnecessary and uncalled for. tongue-lashing is not on my schedule for today if not you would have been the first in my calling card.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ajepako(f): 11:33am On May 04, 2022
Jokerman:

This kind school dey Lekki or Vi, and school fees might be 2-3 million per term....

Exactly..

I'm in one of them in the hoods you mention

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 11:33am On May 04, 2022
demainman:
A science teacher is needed in a private school - courses he/she will teach are physics and chemistry.
Payment is 22k.
Vacancy is only for people in Abaranje area of Ikotun.
Quote me, if you are interested.

Ss1 - ss3?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Jokerman(m): 11:34am On May 04, 2022
ajepako:

Exactly..

I'm in one of them in the hoods you mention

That's the only places I see that parents can afford to pay such, safe for Caleb in Magodo....
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by NIGERIAJAGA419: 11:36am On May 04, 2022
Self centeredness is the one causing all these yamayama ..... If I even look at The teachers, they are the ones producing Teachers, Lawyers, Nurses, Doctor and many more. So they supposed to be treated pretty good .
Although if Government don't value teachers's integrities let alone Private.... All what I already known since 1914 Is (Education is not valuable in this country). The only department that's valuable here in this country is Money lootering Dept. And the Head is Tinubu,
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Adeoyelee: 11:37am On May 04, 2022
Babaalajo:
I don't have much oo but I will send my daughter's teacher something today because of this post, it's not easy to teach abeg...

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by powerblaze(m): 11:40am On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:
Why is it that most private school don't pay their workers during hoildays. Like once the term ends like this. Salary wnt be paid till when they start work again.

This isn't right now.

My mum runs a school and she pays teachers during holidays. I'm surprised that isn't the norm.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by kingemaker(m): 11:43am On May 04, 2022
Newton2024:
My proprietress has not paid me my March salary (15k) till today and no work no salary for April. She said she is expecting some parents to pay her during holiday. I'm the only English teacher in the school for both JS & SS. In my next life, I will never be a teacher.

Two worst jobs in Nigeria:
1. To be carrying chalk
2. To be carrying gun

Can you take up an online course on Coursera or Udemy? Once you're able to learn the skill and start making few cash from some gigs, please quit.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by kindmman(m): 11:46am On May 04, 2022
The school I currently work for pays during holidays and it's not located in urban area

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Bamzyriches451: 11:47am On May 04, 2022
Damn!!
Teaching job for naija dey very useless..

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Aystarz: 11:47am On May 04, 2022
SavageResponse:

To know the answer to your question I suggest you set up your own school then during holidays when there is no money coming in you go and take money from your personal savings to pay your teachers let us see if that school will survive for up to 2 years!

Come on, shut the hell up. There are modest schools I know in this same Lagos that pay teachers for the holidays.

The only reason this nonsense is happening is because teachers don't know their worth.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by einsteine(m): 11:49am On May 04, 2022
Nten:
An imbroglio of monumental proportion!
Until teachers are formidable enough in such school who will take drastic measures like down tooling together at the heat of such issue.
But unemployment has created a huge vacuum were people are willing to take anything without recourse.

Do private schools earn revenue while not in session? Teachers who don't like the salary should not take the job.

Strikes are a foolish way of attempting to resolve labor issues. That can only work in an unfree market. In a free market, someone would take your job and those who try to force people into "downtooling" would be sent to jail where they belong.
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by ASPIREX: 11:53am On May 04, 2022
Johnnycastro18:
Pathetic, feel sorry for all our hard working teacher's out there experiencing this kind of situation sad

Modified; the person that commented below me, my reply to you is that private school owners are not supposed to rely "AlONE" on the school fees parents pay for there children at the School's before they can be able to pay there teachers salary,

as a proprietor/proprietress or school owner who is wise and is aware of the challenges faced in running a school in this country you are expected to diversify and have other source of income.......I know of a lecturer in this country that owns a private school(primary/secondary) school, on many occasions due to lack of payment of school fees by parents he normaly use his own salary to pay his teachers just to ensure he keeps everyone( the teachers) happy and avoid complaints, I know of many business owners who owned schools and have had to pay teachers from there private money, this money they can replace when parents later pay there wards schools fees.......

It is suicidal and unwise for any private school owner to rely on schools fees alone to pay teacher salaries, especially new and upcoming schools with low population of students.

This shows the very depth of your education and enlightenment.

Your understanding of economics will make the combo of Okonjo Iweala and Soludo hide their faces in shame.

Well done Bro!

Kudos Bro!
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Ropostic120(m): 11:55am On May 04, 2022
[quote author=zedegit post=112510657]

Please tell me it's a joke.

Did your have any children? What does your wife do?[/quote

I have a daughter
My wife too is struggling to use her HND like me to get a job
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sinkhole: 11:56am On May 04, 2022
Jokerman:

My brother... a school in Ebute metta, collects 5k per term, and yet the parents don't pay school fees on time, how then do you want owner to employ graduates?? You sef reason am now...
With such a fee, everybody knows the result grin I don't think we are talking about such mushroom schools here?

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Kelechi009: 11:56am On May 04, 2022
The only way teachers would be paid better in Nigeria is if the International community is interested in it, but then it doesn't benefit them.

If not, no one cares.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sript: 11:57am On May 04, 2022
kingemaker:

Can you take up an online course on Coursera or Udemy? Once you're able to learn the skill and start making few cash from some gigs, please quit.

Like what skill one can learn, from udemy or Coursera to earn a living??
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by sinkhole: 11:58am On May 04, 2022
Jokerman:

How much school fess do you pay, hope not 10k per terrm?
10k per term? Does that even cover the transportation fee?
Re: Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays by Paulpaulpaul(m): 12:04pm On May 04, 2022
Devilagentcap:

This isn't right now.

Not all of them, I worked at a school "Sharon Rose Schools and College, Saki. The Proprietor is a baptist deacon, a man of integrity. They pay during the holidays and it was there I heard of Private School paying Leave Bonus gringrin and Marking Allowance. English Language and Mathematics teachers have extra 3000 Marking Allowance monthly.

Although, you'll work but it's still not up to what I'm doing presently in a public school.

I had taught in about 12 private schools but only 3 stood out. Saint James Anglican School, Birnin Kebbi, Christ The King Minor Seminary, Minna and Sharon Rose Schools and College, Saki.

At times, if you don't have another source of income, running a school is not easy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Female Police Officers Show How Ready They Are For 2023 General Elections (vid) / Pictures Of A Taxi Driver With No Legs Spotted In Lagos By A Nairalander / Felicia Chidi, Commercial Vehicle Driver And How She Lost Her Estate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.