Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,303 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? (36690 Views)

Romans 9-15 The Most Misinterpreted Bible Verse. ( See True Interpretation) / Most Misinterpreted Bible Verses #3 (amos 4:6) / The Misinterpreted Knowledge Of Attracting Divine Favour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kabikala(m): 1:38pm On Jun 19, 2022
*And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.*
Matthew 16: 18. RSV.

Many Christians believe that Jesus was inferring that he was going to build his church on Peter, his disciple.

I don't think so.
Jesus would not predicate the entirety of his divine assignment on another human with frailties. Even when that person would deny him a short while later.
I believe Jesus' statement was that his church would be built on that powerful statement uttered by Peter in the earlier verse:
*Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”*
Matthew 16:16 RSV

This makes more sense to me. Many Bible scholars think so too.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by phemmyfour: 1:48pm On Jun 19, 2022
Cypress042:
God help those who help themselves.

Where's that verse in the bible

People use it alot but i don't think is in the bible.
it's not in the Bible
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by gleamy(m): 1:54pm On Jun 19, 2022
Jesus turned water into wine..
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by phemmyfour: 1:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
englishmart:
Some bible verses, like
Mark 12:17 "give to Caesar what belongs to Cesar"
Ephesians 5:22 "Wives submit thyself to your husband "
"Matthew 7:1 "judge not that you be not judged"
Some other verses are also misinterpreted.
In your knowledge, what other verses do you think is ignorantly misinterpreted?
Money is the root of all evil” – 1 Timothy 6:10

The correct txt is "The love of money" not "money" as the root of all evil
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 1:56pm On Jun 19, 2022
phemmyfour:
Money is the root of all evil” – 1 Timothy 6:10

The correct txt is "The love of money" not "money" as the root of all evil
Even that is incorrect and hence untrue. undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2022
englishmart:
Some bible verses, like Mark 12:17 "give to Caesar what belongs to Cesar"
"Give to Caesar what is Caesars..." simply means do not avoid paying your taxes and everything you owe the government. undecided

The rest ofcourse belongs to God and should be used in doing that which He has asked of you. undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by phemmyfour: 2:00pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Even that is incorrect and hence untrue. undecided
Argue with yourself

1st Tim 6:10

10 For the alove of bmoney is the root of all evil
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Neyoosha007(m): 2:01pm On Jun 19, 2022
englishmart:
Some bible verses, like
Caesar is the government and not devil, this verse is the most misinterpreted
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2022
englishmart:

Ephesians 5:22 "Wives submit thyself to your husband
The writer of this letter suggests that in bowing down to God's curse in Genesis 3 vs 16b , a woman honors God, and this is a lie. Jesus Christ who God sent to redeem mankind from that curse instead decrees that all are equal in His Kingdom and He alone is Head/Master over those who belong to Him - Matthew 23 vs 8 - 10 undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by kumulus(m): 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
IMO almost all
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2022
phemmyfour:
Argue with yourself

1st Tim 6:10

10 For the alove of bmoney is the root of all evil
But that is a lie though. So? undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by phemmyfour: 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
But that is a lie though. So? undecided
Argue with the scripture...qed
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by butterfly777(m): 2:05pm On Jun 19, 2022
The weapons of our warfare are not canal, but mighty through God 2 Cor 10:4
People misinterpret this to mean that Christians should not fight with weapons.

Ironically, you see the inconsistency in the pastors as they protect themselves with gun carrying soldiers and mopols. Many Christians are also in the armed forces, which should be considered wrong if the erroneous interpretation is considered true.

If you read that context, you will see that it is talking about spiritual war, and not just all spiritual warfare, but warfare of temptation to sin. The next verse, verse 5 shows us our activity in the metaphoric warfare against sin:

Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ"
2 Corinthians 10:5
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
phemmyfour:
Argue with the scripture...qed
I am not arguing with scripture since I instead stated a fact of what is written there. undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by iamL(f): 2:20pm On Jun 19, 2022
ekevwe:

Na man write those things not God.

How can you people be obeying book written over 2000 yrs ago in this modern and educated era.

Una sha

This modern era that men marry men, humans sleeping with animals, women sees themselves as equal to men, people cohabit and give birth to children without getting properly married thereby ignoring the santity of marriage, ritualism all over the place, mankind ruining the earth ?

Una eye go clear for education and civilization.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Sambab(m): 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2022
That word is Jesus Christ...
Jesus is the word.

MaxInDHouse:

None of the above was misinterpreted, it's just a matter of updates in English language while most churchgoers stick to the 15th century English KJV.

But as for misinterpretation the opening words of John's gospel account was erroneously mistranslated.

"In the beginning WAS the word and the word WAS with God and the word WAS God"

@ verse 18 of the same chapter we read:

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him"

So is the word GOD or someone beside GOD? smiley
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by dapadawee: 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2022
englishmart:
Some bible verses, like
As it is difficult for a camel to go through the niddle hole
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by iamL(f): 2:35pm On Jun 19, 2022
Money answerth all things
Give ceaser things to Ceaser.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On Jun 19, 2022
dapadawee:

The meaning of the message is right there in that passage. undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:37pm On Jun 19, 2022
iamL:
Money answerth all things
Give ceaser things to Ceaser.
The second one means pay your taxes even as you use the rest to do God's Work. lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by dnawah(m): 2:37pm On Jun 19, 2022
englishmart:
Some bible verses, like
Matthew 7:1,why do God appointed judges over the israelites?why is God going to judge us according to our dids? anybody can judge,if he does not have any sins in him.when u r pointing a finger at somebody the remaining ones r pointing at u.so don't point when u r not clean.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by dapadawee: 2:37pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The meaning of the message is right there in that passage. undecided
No
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:40pm On Jun 19, 2022
dapadawee:
No
Yes it is. Matthew 19 vs 16 - 23, explains that it will be just as difficult for for rich man to enter into God's Heaven as it would for a camel to enter the eye of a needle. undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by immaculatesense(m): 2:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
Bahamas95:
Drink But Don't Get Drunk.

Drunkards nai dey quote this one to justify shayo.
Dear Bahamas95
Where is it in the Bible that u shud not drink

Can u quote it out for me

I only know the Bible said do not be drunk with wine
Ephesians 5:18
[18]Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit,
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by dnawah(m): 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2022
dapadawee:

not a camel but a big man, those days the city has a big gate which is usually closed in the evening and a smaller one(the eye of the middle) where the camels and the farmers used to pass when the gate is closed.a big man with prides can never bend down and dirty his clothes through that place.and also remember that the road to heaven is narrow while the one to hell is wide.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Kobojunkie: 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
dnawah:
not a camel but a big man, those days the city has a big gate which is usually closed in the evening and a smaller one(the eye of the middle) where the camels and the farmers used to pass when the gate is closed.a big man with prides can never bend down and dirty his clothes through that place.and also remember that the road to heaven is narrow while the one to hell is wide.
Forget that fantastical story fed you by your pastors and mogs. Instead the meaning of what Jesus Christ said there is found in what is written right there in Matthew 19 vs 16 - 23 undecided
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by immaculatesense(m): 2:59pm On Jun 19, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Guy no human (Adam's descendants) has seen God at any point in time {John 1:18} but as for angels they do have face to face meeting with the Almighty God {Job 1:6} so they are seeing Him life!
Dear MaxinDHouse
I just saw this now...let me ask u
Is it ALL angels dat do see God
Yes or No answer
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Joshuam1(m): 3:02pm On Jun 19, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

None of the above was misinterpreted, it's just a matter of updates in English language while most churchgoers stick to the 15th century English KJV.

But as for misinterpretation the opening words of John's gospel account was erroneously mistranslated.

"In the beginning WAS the word and the word WAS with God and the word WAS God"

@ verse 18 of the same chapter we read:

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him"

So is the word GOD or someone beside GOD? smiley

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by iamL(f): 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The second one means pay your taxes even as you use the rest to do God's Work. lipsrsealed

I know the bible very well. I replied according to the question of the thread.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by Joshuam1(m): 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The writer of this letter suggests that in bowing down to God's curse in Genesis 3 vs 16b , a woman honors God, and this is a lie. Jesus Christ who God sent to redeem mankind from that curse instead decrees that all are equal in His Kingdom and He alone is Head/Master over those who belong to Him - Matthew 23 vs 8 - 10 undecided

Ephesians 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Try and understand the relationship between Christ and the church, then you will know what is expected from the wife in terms of submission.
Re: What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
immaculatesense:

Dear MaxinDHouse
I just saw this now...let me ask u
Is it ALL angels dat do see God
Yes or No answer

YES! All spirit sons of God do behold His face but some are constantly standing right before him always! Luke 1:19 smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ten Reasons Why Allah Is Not God AND Why YHWH is GOD / TB Joshua Paid My University Scholarship, Gave Me N8K Everyday In 2010 – Frodd / Fulani Herdsmen Kill Luka Ubangari, RCCG Pastor In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.