Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,287 members, 7,811,861 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny (8962 Views)

Wake Up Call To Igbos, Proof They Are Ijaw-nizing Opobo And Bonny / Ijaw In Shock As Opobo And Bonny Are Revealed As Igbos / My Eyes Are Filled With Tears Over Opobo And Bonny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 7:56am On Oct 09, 2022
The truth is that any leader who wants peace would not just take every body serious but also show it, it is also said that if you want peace you must prepare for war.

As you all know, the Igbo nation and several other Nigerian nationalities are at the verge of unification and for this to happen, nearly every nation of Nigeria needs a Bismarck.

In AlaIgbo today there are about four people who could be classified as leaders in Igboland with similar influence like Ojukwu who could clearly make statements and AlaIgbo would stand still. These men without Bias are 1. Peter Obi 2. Nnamdi Kanu, 3. Reverend Father Ejike Mbaka, 4. And to an extent Simon Ekpa.

As you all know, none of these people can lead the Igbo Nation technically, Peter Obi can not lead the Igbo Nation because he has gone beyond that stage, Nnamdi Kanu has as well gone beyond that stage as his empire has grown beyond Igbo Nation and he is very controversial character that inspires fear in nearly every other Nigerian aside Igbos and our allies, for Mbaka he is currently a property of the catholic church, for Simon Ekpa not only is he leading only a faction of his group but he is more of a Military tactician than a broadened leader, his failure to seize the IPOB completely is another issue.

It is clear at this point that AlaIgbo MUST look away from these four people and seek new direction. As we seek new direction, one of the ways to establish a Nation is to establish a common enemy, today, the Ijaw nation has found that enemy psychology working both sides, I think after Biafra, the next thing that currently Unites Igbos more now is the issue of Opobo and Bonny and I seek to ask, how would this issue be settled because I know the thing that unites the Ijaws is the Igbo enemy psychology.

I know of a sure that the Igbos would share closer genetic composition with the Ijaws than any other nationalities in Nigeria, this is because with the Ijaw culture of assimilation, majority of Igbos who came across Ijaws were enculturated and they became Ijaws, which means I can go through same ritual today and become Ijaw but DNA closeness does not mean peace afterall the English are Germanic but in the world wars, they were sworn enemies.

From the trends on social media and on the ground, Ijaws also knows that the Igbos are coming, there are so many Igbo media crews who have visited Opobo and Bonny recently and the Ijaws knows even from social media banter that this is no joke. One thing that you should never do is challenge or dare an Igbo man, this is common sense the Igbos shall come for Bonny and Opobo if we don't give peace a chance.

The question now is how can we fix these realities with peaceful cost, nairaland is one of the most vibrant mediums to reach the Ijaws currently, I see a lot of young Ijaws making effort and we should all be better off thinking about prosperity than thinking war as young leaders. It could have been common sense to say let's leave these issues until maybe someday Nigeria regrettably divides but these situations needs urgent attention today becuase Nigeria can work as a Unitary confederation and the best way for it to work is when Nations pick up themselves.

I have proposed earlier without consulting my people that Opobo can come with the Igbos while Bonny can go with Ijaws, it did not go down well with both my people and the Ijaws however I believe in justice and any truthful individual knows that both these towns have connections with both Ijaws and Igbos and the more we fight for them, the more it impacts them as a people and there is no just call to completely disconnect them from any side which we could arrive at with chaos.

That proposal can still work and clearly the best and safest option then another option is this, let the two towns be independent or at most protectorate of the two nations, Ijaws can protect Bonny while Igbos protect Opobo becuase the two Islands communities would have hard time protecting themselves by themselves as independent countries in the event that Nigeria divides especially from natural reality given rising sea levels.

The fact is that more than any other nationalities in Nigeria, in the future the Ijaws would greately need Igbos. I think the Igbo nation can really understand the challenges the Ijaws would face especially given climate change, the fact that if Nigeria continues you only have one state capital, one full state which means you would have a tough time with Unification and facing regional challenges, again the closest big market to the Ijaws are those in Igboland, the Igbos also has more gas, coal and and inland water resources than any other nationalities in Africa and on top of that goes as the single richest Nationality in Nigeria by per capita income which means your crucial energy and electricity needs could depend on us in the long run, without these you have no industrial future and should Nigeria divide the country of the Igbos would have by far the biggest economy and strongest Military than any other nation emerging from Nigeria, we wouldn't want war no matter how small but prosperity.

The Igbo Nation want the Ijaws to succeed and I want to clear one notion that the Ijaws held for years, that the Igbos stopped their dreams of Niger Delta Republic the question is, who was Adakar Borro to ask for Niger Delta Republic? Was he elected to any office, was he any form of traditional ruler, on what ground did he ask for Niger Delta Republic ?

I don't want the current Ijaw moves to be about rebellion, if you want Ijaw Republic and that such Republic wants to secede from Nigeria, first convince your governor in Bayelsa and your senators, house of assembly and rep members to buy into the idea anything beyond that would pass you as a rebel no matter how justified your intentions are.

I know it is easy for us to insult each other however the situation is real and I seek to ask Ijaw young leaders on nairaland, how do you think we can go about fixing these situations especially without disconnecting the Opobo and Bonny people from both their Igbo and Ijaw connections and heritage, I strongly believe any peaceful means would be appreciated by them as peace would ensure future bonds on both sides.

Ebi2233
2elliot
Ijoh
GreatBoss
Captain8
Alabo7978
SaintBishop
Blacksaints
Kinematics
Graysons
Sageb
EngrKemp
Robbstark
Puttinbutt
Worworboy
666Advocate
AdakaBoro
Ijawcitizen
Anonymous

14 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 7:59am On Oct 09, 2022
grin grin grin

The next thing you are going to hear is Opobo and Bonny are no mans Land

At least they have given up on dragging Lagos

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 8:06am On Oct 09, 2022
Christistruth00:

Please I'm trying to make a sensible proposal that could help us navigate through future calamity, I clearly stated it is about Igbo and Ijaws and have nothing to do with the rest of Nigeria, any true Ijaw son and daughter knows the truth to these situations and so is every true Igbo so it is a sensitive situation nearly as that of Ilorin between Yorubas and Fulani

17 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 8:07am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

Please I'm trying to make a sensible proposal that could help us navigate through future calamity, I clearly stated it is about Igbo and Ijaws and have nothing to do with the rest of Nigeria, any true Ijaw son and daughter knows the truth to these situations and so is every true Igbo so it is a sensitive situation nearly as that of Ilorin between Yorubas and Fulani

The title of their Traditional ruler is Amanyabo not Eze or Obi

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 8:10am On Oct 09, 2022
Christistruth00:

The title of their Traditional ruler is Amanyabo not Eze or Obi
That's the issue and I'm happy now you made a contribution and the case now is that at one point and a man with Igbo blood was an Amanyabo of Opobo, when England and Scotland got to that blood confusion, what happened, UK was birthed, so what is your proposal for an Igbo Amanyabo whose decendants of mixed ancestry still rules Opobo?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 8:13am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

That's the issue and I'm happy now you made a contribution and the case now is that at one point and a man with Igbo blood was an Amanyabo of Opobo, when England and Scotland got to that blood confusion, what happened, UK was birthed, so what is your proposal for an Igbo Amanyabo whose decendants of mixed ancestry still rules Opobo

What you are trying to do is the Equivalent Of Yorubas Claiming to own Edo State

Not only is it highly disrespectful it is blatant War mongering

49 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Tinubuadvocate: 8:14am On Oct 09, 2022
A master will never entertain his slave .

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Gentlechika(m): 8:17am On Oct 09, 2022
Change your dealer my guy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 8:17am On Oct 09, 2022
Christistruth00:

What you are trying to do is the Equivalent Of Yorubas Claiming to own Edo State

Not only is it highly disrespectful it is War mongering
Yorubas can't claim Edo as Edo is older than Yoruba. Yoruba is not a single state what you could compare to Edo is Oyo, Ife, these are the people that came together to form the modern Yoruba as we know, what you could have said is Edo claiming Yorubas becuase Edo is older than Yoruba

If King Jaja was alive to rule any further, all these wouldn't have been an issue becuase if you red his history you would realise that Opobo was only closer to his root, how can you compare Edo a people whose civilisation is older and more refined than any Yoruba civilisation, this arrogance and disrespect is why Benin can't work with Yorubas because you steal their history.

Opobo on the other hand was founded by a man with Igbo blood

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 8:20am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

Yorubas can't claim Edo as Edo is older than Yoruba. Yoruba is not a single state what you could compare to Edo is Oyo, Ife, these are the people that came together to form the modern Yoruba as we know, what you could have said is Edo claiming Yorubas becuase Edo is older than Yoruba

If King Jaja was alive to rule any further, all these wouldn't have been an issue becuase if you red his history you would realise that Opobo was only closer to his root, how can you compare Edo a people whose civilisation is older and more refined than any Yoruba civilisation, this arrogance and disrespect if why Benin can't work with Yorubas because you steal their history.

Opobo on the other hand was founded by a man with Igbo blood

You don’t know or Understand Yoruba Edo History

Just leave it at that

Do you wake up every morning looking for whose land to drag

The People of Akwa Ibom and Kano better start getting ready for you

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by 2elliot: 8:24am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:
The truth is that any leader who wants peace would not just take every body serious but also show it, it is also said that if you want peace you must prepare for war.

As you all know, the Igbo nation and several other Nigerian nationalities are at the verge of unification and for this to happen, nearly every nation of Nigeria needs a Bismarck.

In AlaIgbo today there are about four people who could be classified as leaders in Igboland with similar influence like Ojukwu who could clearly make statements and AlaIgbo would stand still. These men without Bias are 1. Peter Obi 2. Nnamdi Kanu, 3. Reverend Father Ejike Mbaka, 4. And to an extent Simon Ekpa.

As you all know, none of these people can lead the Igbo Nation technically, Peter Obi can not lead the Igbo Nation because he has gone beyond that stage, Nnamdi Kanu has as well gone beyond that stage as his empire has grown beyond Igbo Nation and he is very controversial character that inspires fear in nearly every other Nigerian aside Igbos and our allies, for Mbaka he is currently a property of the catholic church, for Simon Ekpa not only is he leading only a faction of his group but he is more of a Military tactician than a broadened leader, his failure to seize the IPOB completely is another issue.

It is clear at this point that AlaIgbo MUST look away from these four people and seek new direction. As we seek new direction, one of the ways to establish a Nation is to establish a common enemy, today, the Ijaw nation has found that enemy psychology working both sides, I think after Biafra, the next thing that currently Unites Igbos more now is the issue of Opobo and Bonny and I seek to ask, how would this issue be settled because I know the thing that unites the Ijaws is the Igbo enemy psychology.

I know of a sure that the Igbos would share closer genetic composition with the Ijaws than any other nationalities in Nigeria, this is because with the Ijaw culture of assimilation, majority of Igbos who came across Ijaws were enculturated and they became Ijaws, which means I can go through same ritual today and become Ijaw but DNA closeness does not mean peace afterall the English are Germanic but in the world wars, they were sworn enemies.

From the trends on social media and on the ground, Ijaws also knows that the Igbos are coming, there are so many Igbo media crews who have visited Opobo and Bonny recently and the Ijaws knows even from social media banter that this is no joke. One thing that you should never do is challenge or dare an Igbo man, this is common sense the Igbos shall come for Bonny and Opobo if we don't give peace a chance.

The question now is how can we fix these realities with peaceful cost, nairaland is one of the most vibrant mediums to reach the Ijaws currently, I see a lot of young Ijaws making effort and we should all be better off thinking about prosperity than thinking war as young leaders. It could have been common sense to say let's leave these issues until maybe someday Nigeria regrettably divides but these situations needs urgent attention today becuase Nigeria can work as a Unitary confederation and the best way for it to work is when Nations pick up themselves.

I have proposed earlier without consulting my people that Opobo can come with the Igbos while Bonny can go with Ijaws, it did not go down well with both my people and the Ijaws however I believe in justice and any truthful individual knows that both these towns have connections with both Ijaws and Igbos and the more we fight for them, the more it impacts them as a people and there is no just call to completely disconnect them from any side which we could arrive at with chaos.

That proposal can still work and clearly the best and safest option then another option is this, let the two towns be independent or at most protectorate of the two nations, Ijaws can protect Bonny while Igbos protect Opobo becuase the two Islands communities would have hard time protecting themselves by themselves as independent countries in the event that Nigeria divides especially from natural reality given rising sea levels.

The fact is that more than any other nationalities in Nigeria, in the future the Ijaws would greately need Igbos. I think the Igbo nation can really understand the challenges the Ijaws would face especially given climate change, the fact that if Nigeria continues you only have one state capital, one full state which means you would have a tough time with Unification and facing regional challenges, again the closest big market to the Ijaws are those in Igboland, the Igbos also has more gas, coal and and inland water resources than any other nationalities in Africa and on top of that goes as the single richest Nationality in Nigeria by per capita income which means your crucial energy and electricity needs could depend on us in the long run, without these you have no industrial future and should Nigeria divide the country of the Igbos would have by far the biggest economy and strongest Military than any other nation emerging from Nigeria, we wouldn't want war no matter how small but prosperity.

The Igbo Nation want the Ijaws to succeed and I want to clear one notion that the Ijaws held for years, that the Igbos stopped their dreams of Niger Delta Republic the question is, who was Adakar Borro to ask for Niger Delta Republic? Eas he elected to any office, was he any form of traditional ruler, on what ground did he ask for Niger Delta Republic?

I don't want the current Ijaw moves to be about rebellion, if you want Ijaw Republic and that such Republic wants to secede from Nigeria, first convince your governor in Bayelsa and your senators, house of assembly and rep members to buy into the idea anything beyond that would pass you as a rebel no matter how justified your intentions are.

I know it is easy for us to insult each other however the situation is real and I seek to ask Ijaw young leaders on nairaland, how do you think we can go about fixing these situations especially without disconnecting the Opobo and Bonny people from both their Igbo and Ijaw connections and heritage, I strongly believe any peaceful means would be appreciated by them as peace would ensure future bonds on both sides.

Ebi2233
2elliot
Ijoh
GreatBoss
Captain8
Alabo7978
SaintBishop
Blacksaints
Kinematics
Graysons
Sageb
EngrKemp
Robbstark
Puttinbutt
Worworboy
666Advocate
AdakaBoro
Ijawcitizen
Anonymous
Thank you! You have written like the true son of your father and as a wise man from the east. I fully support your idea that the two regions be shared between the we the ijaws and the Igbos. That to me, is the easiest way to finding peace as long as this matter is concerned. But again, I expect that the concerned people in the two regions have the sole right to decide whose side they would go. But still, that must come after the real facts have been established, whether they are of the ijaws or Igbos, for the sake of history and posterity.
As an Ijaw man myself from one of the key clans, I find it awkward hating the Igbos; in fact, you guys have been our big brothers watching over us as far as this Nigeria project is concerned. I can only imagine the situation we would have found ourselves if you the igbos didn't exist in the equation. We would have been forgotten identities, subdued by both the monstrous religious and tribal beasts roaming the entire country. Even if no one would admit, I will. Even on the level of political affiliations, or to culture, we have more in common, than any other group of persons or association. And even till tomorrow, this relationship will remain static.
Sadly, the lack of commonsense and hatred pervading the ijaw people towards the Igbos are out of immaturity and as a result of brainwashing. But I do pray, that one day we can really form the needed allegiance to confronted our more common enemies.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2022
Christistruth00:

You don’t know or Understand Yoruba Edo History

Just leave it at that

Do you wake up every morning looking for whose land to drag

The People of Akwa Ibom and Kano better start getting ready for you
Both the Ijaws and the Igbos have not said much on this issue, it is a total stranger Yoruba that is talking, a people who lost Ilorin why won't you be jealous of Nations that has ambitions, this case at most calls for deep thinking please get lost and face Fulanis, Edos are not Yorubas they have a lot in common with Igbos and other tribes of the East and bight of Biafra way before Nigeria was created.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 8:31am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

Both the Ijaws and the Igbos have not said much on this issue, it is a total stranger Yoruba that is talking, a people who lost Ilorin why won't you be jealous of Nations that has ambitions, this case at most calls for deep thinking please get lost and face Fulanis, Edos are not Yorubas they have a lot in common with Igbos and other times of the East and bight of Biafra way before Nigeria was created.

Ilorin was already taken over by Balogun Alanamu a Yoruba man

The rest is Tribal Politics and even Zik was involved

When his and Balewa Govt failed to hold the Referendum they promised the British before

being granted independence because they knew Kwara would vote to Join Awolowo’s Western Region

Instead they had the Midwest Referendum to divide the West and failed to hold the ones for the

Eastern and Northern Region Minorities

Apart from that Ilorin has already Been Completely encircled with more than 30 Towns with

Crowned Obas

https://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol7-issue2/D0721518.pdf?id=5971

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by deekseen(m): 8:33am On Oct 09, 2022
Christistruth00:
grin grin grin

My brother... Na wa o

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 8:36am On Oct 09, 2022
2elliot:
Thank you! You have written like the true son of your father and as a wise man from the east. I fully support your idea that the two regions be shared between the we the ijaws and the Igbos. That to me, is the easiest way to finding peace as long as this matter is concerned. But again, I expect that the concerned people in the two regions have the sole right to decide whose side they would go. But still, that must come after the real facts have been established, whether they are of the ijaws or Igbos, for the sake of history and posterity.
As an Ijaw man myself from one of the key clans, I find it awkward hating the Igbos; in fact, you guys have been our big brothers watching over us as far as this Nigeria project is concerned. I can only imagine the situation we would have found ourselves if you the igbos didn't exist in the equation. We would have been forgotten identities, subdued by both the monstrous religious and tribal beasts roaming the entire country. Even if no one would admit, I will. Even on the level of political affiliations, or to culture, we have more in common, than any other group of persons or association. And even till tomorrow, this relationship will remain static.
Sadly, the lack of commonsense and hatred pervading the ijaw people towards the Igbos are out of immaturity and as a result of brainwashing. But I do pray, that one day we can really form the needed allegiance to confronted our more common enemies.
If Nigeria is not dividing there is no need to trouble the people, it has to be a gentleman agreement, the people are happy with their mixed heritage and I don't see the need to reengineer them into proper Ijaw or proper Igbo, however for faster development and clearing this tension the need to make some clear moves is important.

It is obvious that if Nigeria is dividing, history and reality has shown that Igbos and Ijaws may not be able to share one country, but the Island of Opobo and Bonny would have a tough time being independent, Both Opobo and Bonny has always survived as appendage of AlaIgbo or Izon respectively, the goods shipped in both Opobo and Bonny during their rise came from Igboland back then mainly, slaves, palm oil and kernel so you see from here that Opobo and Bonny can't really perform well as independent nations.

They need an army, a navy and an airforce and given situation they can only have a navy if they try to be independent and they would still end up being dragged by two determination countries at both sides so it is important to create this understanding that they can join either side, if you go outright with asking them where they would want to join, you won't get justice because they would likely stay in a place where there is guarantee of economic and political prosperity at that moment, it has to be a sense of responsibility, you have to be with this people becuase it is destiny.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 8:39am On Oct 09, 2022
Christistruth00:

Ilorin was already taken over by Balogun Alanamu a Yoruba man

The rest is Tribal Politics and even Zik was involved

When his and Balewa Govt failed to hold the Referendum they promised the British before

being granted independence because they knew Kwara would vote to Join Awolowo’s Western Region

Instead they had the Midwest Referendum to divide the West and failed to hold the ones for the

Eastern and Northern Region Minorities

Apart from that Ilorin has already Been Completely encircled with more than 30 Towns with

Crowned Obas

https://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol7-issue2/D0721518.pdf?id=5971
Okay you have had your few minutes ego satisfied now go create another thread for Ilorin and allow Igbos and Ijaws to meditate on this issue, it has nothing to do with Yorubas

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 8:45am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

Okay you have had your few minutes ego satisfied now go create another thread for Ilorin and allow Igbos and Ijaws to meditate on this issue, it has nothing to do with Yorubas

All Nigeria and West Africa knows that Bonny and Opobo is Ijaw

so why are you donating your head for the Ijaws

to break their Coconuts on when the ground is available

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Hyperchi(m): 9:11am On Oct 09, 2022
I love the peace move, as we have more to gain than lose, as an Igbo man from country5 . it easy for me to visit any ijaw town and see ppl I can relate with. When we achieved our Goals, it will be left for the ppl of those area to take their stand

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 9:19am On Oct 09, 2022
Hyperchi:
I love the peace move, as we have more to gain than lose, as an Igbo man from country5 . it easy for me to visit any ijaw town and see ppl I can relate with. When we achieved our Goals, it will be left for the ppl of those area to take their stand
Without the peace moves, we can't achieve much, this crucial point needs to be fixed before any real self determination goal can be achieved whether in the commonwealth of Nigeria or after Nigeria.

That first, the Igbos would understand that either Ijaws are a region or city state in Nigeria or if Nigeria divides they get Ijaw Republic not attached to Biafra unless discussed in details in the future, it is common sense that Opobo and Bonny are two inseparable towns, so if Opobo is with the Igbos and Bonny is with Ijaws, AlaIgbo and Izon can find common ground to work together on mutual interest ground.

Since Opobo is closer to AlaIgbo and also genetically closer, they should come with us even though they are smaller, they are closer to us than Bonny is, if we don't use peace it could come with great price

8 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by deekseen(m): 9:22am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

and the case now is that at one point and a man with Igbo blood was an Amanyabo of Opobo,
Just like history has it that Opobo was not founded or established by the man with Igbo blood. It existed long before the man, and it had its people, practice and parlance.

AlexBells:

so what is your proposal for an Igbo Amanyabo whose decendants of mixed ancestry still rules Opobo?

Now, you are elevating one man (a stranger at that) over a people, over a culture ,over an ethnic tribe. That is not the fairest thing to do.

When the Israelites became slaves in Egypt, and Joseph rose to prominence and influence, Egypt did not become an annex of Israel (neither did it belong to the Israelites because of Joseph). On the day they were leaving Egypt, they left with everything that was traced to their ancestry.

This scenario of a slave becoming a master in a foreign land is just what repeated in Opobo.

There's a limit to what a slave can claim in a foreign land.

Another thing you forgot to address is that the slave with Igbo blood did not bring an Igbo wife into Opobo. He married one of the natives, mixed with them, became part of them. He never made mention of Alaigbo.

Generations later, some people want to go and claim a whole people, a whole territory because of one man.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by deekseen(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2022
deekseen:

Just like history has it that Opobo was not founded or established by the man with Igbo blood. It existed long before the man, and it had its people, practice and parlance.

Now, you are elevating one man (a stranger at that) over a people, over a culture ,over an ethnic tribe. That is not the fairest thing to do.

When the Israelites became slaves in Egypt, and Joseph rose to prominence and influence, Egypt did not become an annex of Israel (neither did it belong to the Israelites because of Joseph). On the day they were leaving Egypt, they left with everything that was traced to their ancestry.

This scenario of a slave becoming a master in a foreign land is just what repeated in Opobo.

Another thing you forgot to address is that the slave with Igbo blood did not bring an Igbo wife into Opobo. He married one of the natives, mixed with them, became part of them. He never made mention of Alaigbo.

Generations later, some people want to go and claim a whole people, a whole territory because of one man.
Just to add...

History only said he was born in Alaigbo. Anyone can be born anywhere. History didn't make mention of his family. If truly Alaigbo is interested in their sons wherever they are, let those in foreign prisons be fought for and let their release be secured.

This Igbo slave was jailed in foreign lands and no one from Alaigbo went in search of him. When he was King, no one from Alaigbo bothered to trace him and his whereabouts. It is very evident that he had no connection with Alaigbo because he never called for 'his blood people' to be recognized in any manner.

Now, a concerned generation wants to associate With him because...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2022
deekseen:

You have spoken well, like I said, we are here for peace. Joseph was an Isreali slave, who rose to the rank of prime minister, many years later, they decided to leave Egypt for Isreal, remember that King Jaja left Bonny for Opobo, Arguably the Opobo is now like the promised land, I'm not trying to make the Jaja family bigger than the rest of the Opobo town but they still reign in Opobo.

If it were possible I could have said deport all Jaja linage to AlaIgbo, we shall welcome them but the issue is that these people already left Bonny which is more like if we talk in your case Egypt to the the promised land of Opobo so what do you do in a situation like this, do you want to deport the Jaja linage to AlaIgbo when they are even of mixed blood and again Opobo speaks Igbo so can we prove that before Jaja and his war houses reached Opobo that there were no Igbo natives, these all calls for peaceful and considerate approach.

It don't also speak good for you to continue classifying the Jaja linage as slaves

13 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 9:39am On Oct 09, 2022
deekseen:

Just to add...

History only said he was born in Alaigbo. Anyone can be born anywhere. History didn't make mention of his family. If truly Alaigbo is interested in their sons wherever they are, let those in foreign prisons be fought for and let their release be secured.

This Igbo slave was jailed in foreign lands and no one from Alaigbo went in search of him. When he was King, no one from Alaigbo bothered to trace him and his whereabouts. It is very evident that he had no connection with Alaigbo because he never called for 'his blood people' to be recognized in any manner.

Now, a concerned generation wants to associate With him because...
You have to understand that during the time of King Jaja, he was the most powerful Igbo man then, the Igbos in the hinterland could not fight for Jaja because the Igbo Nation as we know today did not exist then.

I expected Bonny to fight for him when he was kidnapped but nothing like that happened and I don't want go go back to that part, Jaja was driven out of Bonny and later kidnapped in Opobo there was no way the smaller Igbo kingdoms that are nearly not reachable back then could have come together and fought for him.

The Igbo as a nation is still evolving and Similar thing that happened to King Jaja is what is happening to Nnamdi Kanu and I hope you get it now that in those days, AlaIgbo did not quite exist but at least there was Bonny and Ijaw but none of you fought for him

10 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by deekseen(m): 9:41am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

You have spoken well, like I said, we are here for peace. Joseph was an Isreali slave, who rose to the rank of prime minister, many years later, they decided to leave Egypt for Isreal, remember that King Jaja left Bonny for Opobo, Arguably the Opobo is now like the promised land, I'm not trying to make the Jaja family bigger than the rest of the Opobo town but they still reign in Opobo.

If it were possible I could have said deport all Jaja linage to AlaIgbo, we shall welcome them but the issue is that these people already left Bonny which is more like if we talk in your case Egypt to the the promised land of Opobo so what do you do in a situation like this, do you want to deport the Jaja linage to AlaIgbo when they are even of mixed blood and again Opobo speaks Igbo so can we prove that before Jaja and his war houses reached Opobo that there were no Igbo natives, these all calls for peaceful and considerate approach.

It don't also speak good for you to continue classifying the Jaja linage as slaves
My intention was not to classify them as slaves. But do you have the real Alaigbo-given name of King Jaja of Opobo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by deekseen(m): 9:47am On Oct 09, 2022
AlexBells:

You have to understand that during the time of King Jaja, he was the most powerful Igbo man then, the Igbos in the hinterland could not fight for Jaja because the Igbo Nation as we know today did not exist then.

I expected Bonny to fight for him when he was kidnapped but nothing like that happened and I don't want go go back to that part, Jaja was driven out of Bonny and later kidnapped in Opobo there was no way the smaller Igbo kingdoms that are nearly not reachable back then could have come together and fought for him.

The Igbo as a nation is still evolving and Similar thing that happened to King Jaja is what is happening to Nnamdi Kanu and I hope you get it now that in those days, AlaIgbo did not quite exist but at least there was Bonny and Ijaw but none of you fought for him

I like the views you're presenting. But your submission says the Igbo Nation of today was not in existence then, but the Ijaw nation (Including Bonny and Opobo) was already in existence.

My problem is, why try to claim part of a Nation that existed before your own nation?

8 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 9:49am On Oct 09, 2022
deekseen:

My intention was not to classify them as slaves. But do you have the real Alaigbo-given name of King Jaja of Opobo?
Opobo was recognized through the 18 years reign of King Jaja as an independent city state, however having seen the way Jaja ended, it becomes crucial that Opobo and Bonny can't be left as independent states, they clearly would be impacted by climate change which they would need great assistance.

Now to your question, AlaIgbo is not a single people, I am from Ezikoba and our government is a gerontocracy and our leader is the eldest man called the Onyeishi (it could roughly translate to Onye + Isi or Ishi) the head, in Onitsha it is a monarchy their leader is the Obi of Onitsha, in Anioma it is different and I think they are headed by the Omu (Queen Mother) so don't think that AlaIgbo is an exactly homogenous medium, there is cultural continuity and thats what matters.

We are seeking ways to arrive at peace, apart from King Jaja's history the primarily language spoken in Opobo is Igbo, all these arguments wouldn't matter in war, the question is how do we cross that part, there are two towns in question do you have any suggestions on how to navigate or do you intend to deport the Jaja and other Igbo linage there ?

10 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 9:56am On Oct 09, 2022
deekseen:

I like the views you're presenting. But your submission says the Igbo Nation of today was not in existence then, but the Ijaw nation (Including Bonny and Opobo) was already in existence.

My problem is, why try to claim part of a Nation that existed before your own nation?
The Igbo Nation as a single ethnicity did not exist but the Igbo people did exist and the characteristic of a people is their culture chiefly language, so as a nation in the match towards Unification, you have to look into these continuity to draw your maps, so in a much inconsiderate circumstances one can draw the maps of AlaIgbo and include Bonny and Opobo then we arrive at chaos.

So yes Ijaw existed but also in a stage that isn't quite a concrete line, even today you still haven't arrived at an Izon State, however the moves of enculturation shows an emerging Unification however the situation created scenario of mutual citizenship which is why this issue now is, now can't people with mutual citizenship thrive in both nations or thrive at both sides,

Just becuase Benin existed doesn't mean Onitsha was not existing the issue today is that AlaIgbo is going through a Unification and we mostly want people where there is cultural continuity but in Opobo and Bonny there is evidence of cultural continuity and even a blood dynasty so this calls for peace.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by deekseen(m): 9:58am On Oct 09, 2022
My friend, @AlexBells

A very peaceful resolution is very possible. It is evident from our positions on this thread that the Igbos don't have much grounds as to why either Opobo or Bonny should belong to them.

If King Jaja of Opobo and the Igbo dialect are the main points from Alaigbo, then what about the people, the culture, the land?

A whole ethnic tribe cannot be handed over to another because of one man who introduced his language to his subjects, and because they loved and reverenced him decided to adopt it.

As a matter of fact, a whole ethnic tribe cannot be subject to being slaves to the distant descendants of the slave they chose to be their king.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by AlexBells(m): 10:06am On Oct 09, 2022
deekseen:
My friend, @AlexBells

A very peaceful resolution is very possible. It is evident from our positions on this thread that the Igbos don't have much grounds as to why either Opobo or Bonny should belong to them.

If King Jaja of Opobo and the Igbo dialect are the main points from Alaigbo, then what about the people, the culture, the land?

A whole ethnic tribe cannot be handed over to another because of one man who introduced his language to his subjects, and because they loved and reverenced him decided to adopt it.

As a matter of fact, a whole ethnic tribe cannot be subject to being slaves to the distant descendants of the slave they chose to be their king.
This calls for research, Opobo wasn't a virgin land so who and who was there, if the people who were there, were actually Ijaws why should they throw away their language, it could mean that the natives there were Igbos, King Jaja arrived with 14 war houses, if we go by one canoe carrying 50 people, 50 × 14 isn't such a large number that would make them throw away their language, Igbo is also spoken in Bonny so Bonny is where we should start with,

For Opobo it was always been an independent state overseen by King Jaja and his dynasty that doesn't call for much argument for now lets start with why is Igbo wildly spoken in Bonny, Opobo is a different issue entirely, as for the lands whoever the people goes with the land belongs to the people now if we have to go in details we go in details, why is Igbo the major language spoken in Bonny and does it make absolutely no sense to term such place where Igbo is spoken as Igboland ?

12 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by OfoIgbo: 10:50am On Oct 09, 2022
To ignorant people here.....

The simple truth is that Igbos will not be relinquishing our ties with both Ubani (Bonny) and Opobo.
Both towns are still being traditionally led by Igbo royal families right from time immemorial.

41 Likes

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by Christistruth00: 11:16am On Oct 09, 2022
OfoIgbo:
To ignorant people here.....

The simple truth is that Igbos will not be relinquishing our ties with both Ubani (Bonny) and Opobo.
Both towns are still being traditionally led by Igbo royal families right from time immemorial.

The Ga People of Accra and the Ewe People Of Lomé Togo Claim a Yoruba descent

Yorubas don’t Claim to own them

At most Yoruba say they are relatives fullstop

Their Lands and Identify belongs to them

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaws And Igbos Only, Let's Explore Peaceful Setlements In Opobo And Bonny by EngrKemp: 11:23am On Oct 09, 2022
These land grabbers are shameless..

Opobo and Bonny are ijaws...

No Igbo names or place in Bonny and Opobo.

No boundaries with igbos.
Opobo and Bonny speak ibani.

If Angola has more Portuguese speakers than Portugal,they should be Portuguese then ?
Or Nigeria should be British since Nigeria has more English speakers than the Brits.
Crazy lots.

We sink u all in the Atlantic if u don't mind ur business.

Leave our territory alone.

Hinterland bushmen

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

OPL 245: Abacha Family And Malabu Trial Scandal / Ogun PDP Chairman To Adebutu: You Caused Party’s Loss In 2023 Election / Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.