Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity (22868 Views)

Tinubu Was Right When He Said That He Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity(photo / Tinubu: I Didn't Travel To France And I am Still The Jagaban / Tinubu: I Have Never Earned A Dime From Lekki Toll Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Majesty2(m): 5:05am On Oct 15, 2022
The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, has declared that he turned Lagos from a jungle to a megacity during his tenure as the governor of the state from 1999 to 2007.

In a programme that aired on Channels TV on Friday night, Tinubu said he laid the foundation that all other Lagos State governors after him built upon and are still building on to make the state what it is today.
Tinubu declared that under his leadership, Lagos came alive.

He said, “When I came in as governor of Lagos State in 1999, Lagos was a jungle. It was a completely uncivilised environment. There were refuse dumps everywhere, schools without roofs, hospitals without ambulances and oxygen tanks to save lives. It was in a very bad state.

“We started to put things in place gradually and the state began to take shape. What we did was to take the liabilities in the state and convert them to assets.

“Civic Centre to Oriental Hotel areas of Victoria Island were back then refuse dumps, but look at what the areas have turned to today. It is only the older ones who would remember all these.”

The mini documentary on Tinubu stated that the APC presidential candidate reengineered the revenue of the state and after he left the office of the governor in 2007, Lagos became completely autonomous from the Federal Government in terms of revenue generation having solely been dependent on federal allocations prior to 1999.

“When Tinubu took over in 1999, Lagos was bankrupt.

The internally generated revenue at the time was N600m monthly and the state was completely dependent on the Federal Government for it.

“When Tinubu was leaving office in 2007, the IGR of Lagos was N7bn monthly. Babatunde Fashola built on that legacy to N15bn monthly. This was made possible by the short, medium and long-term goals that Tinubu laid down for the state in terms of revenue and wealth generation,”
the documentary revealed.
A short clip in the mini documentary also showed where the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), described Tinubu as a political strategist which drew him (Buhari) to Tinubu.

Buhari said, “Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has set himself apart as a political strategist and a mountain of ideas which drew me to him. He is a true humanitarian and has contributed immensely to the success of Nigeria and Africa.”

A former governor of the state, Babatunde Fashola and the current governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, in the programme, also gave credit to the APC presidential candidate for most of the projects that their administrations accomplished. They described Tinubu as the brain behind the developments in the state, adding that his tenure birthed most of the developments, long before they came in.

https://punchng.com/i-turned-lagos-from-jungle-to-megacity-tinubu/

336 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by jazon(m): 5:10am On Oct 15, 2022
Jungle kor. Na desert grin

341 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Bobloco: 5:11am On Oct 15, 2022
And yet, Lagos became second most unliveable city in the world after Damascus the capital of war thorne Syria

428 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Antyislam: 5:14am On Oct 15, 2022
You are a lier mr Tinubu , God will punish you

397 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by limeta(f): 5:15am On Oct 15, 2022
Lets make believe you did all that as a regional champion ok good thank you that was donkey years ago
Now you very old shaky and sick go and rest

303 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Slynation(m): 5:15am On Oct 15, 2022
This annoying old preeq should just rest already, As if the Lagos of then he was talking about wasn't the Lagos I knew...

Using Fashola and Ambode's legacy to campaign can only get him the President of Lagos state... cheesy

352 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Burruchaga71(m): 5:18am On Oct 15, 2022
In other words civilizations started in Lagos in 1999.
This man must be an IDIOT

435 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Ttalk: 5:19am On Oct 15, 2022
Follow the person wey know road. Tinubu sabi im way, na im we go vote for

400 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Majesty2(m): 5:22am On Oct 15, 2022
Ttalk:
Follow the person wet know road. Tinubu sabi im way, an im we go vote for
Tinubu nah d man for the job

384 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by donaldking100: 5:25am On Oct 15, 2022
Majesty2:
Tinubu nah d man for the job

It's funny how foolish, ignorant & myopic urchins say that Lagos State which was the former capital of Nigeria for almost 80 years was built by Tinubu.
So, if for example the capital of Nigeria is moved from Abuja to Rivers state, & Tinubu becomes the governor of Abuja tomorrow, would the foolish urchins also say he built Abuja?
It's really difficult supporting Tinubu without sounding foolish.

575 Likes 54 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Jostoman: 5:26am On Oct 15, 2022
Which Year be that sir? May be that was the reason why you denied a performing governor his Second term ambition and allow a non- performing governor to go for Second term. Megacity my foot.

184 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Macphenson: 5:29am On Oct 15, 2022
Story for the gods

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by AsomArchitectNG(m): 5:31am On Oct 15, 2022
Kindly explain how sir. Cos to the best of my knowledge, the state capital territory was Lagos which gave rise to the immense development we have there today. Not neglecting the fact that every person that have ruled as governor in the state have duely contributed their quota in making sure there's development and advancement in the state...so why taking all the glory as if you single handedly took Lagos to where it's today.

About starting your building project? See our live thread for our ongoing building construction project of a 3-bedroom bungalow in Oron, Akwa Ibom... Link in my signature

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:31am On Oct 15, 2022
What then will Marwa, Jakande, Fashola and Ambode say?

Just asking

132 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Jostoman: 5:32am On Oct 15, 2022
donaldking100:

It's funny how foolish, ignorant & myopic urchins say that Lagos State which was the former capital of Nigeria for almost 80 years was built by Tinubu.
So, if for example the capital of Nigeria is moved from Abuja to Rivers state, & Tinubu becomes the governor of Abuja tomorrow, would the foolish urchins also say he built Abuja?
exactly

103 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by 175(m): 5:36am On Oct 15, 2022
So all the years that Lagos enjoyed the status of a Nation's Capital, and currently the most viable port city in the country. . .which ofcourse are FGN funded, this man fit lie like this?

grin

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by LadyExcellency: 5:37am On Oct 15, 2022
Buba Marwa was a million times better than Tinubu as Lagos State Administrator.

Tinubu is talking to the Indomie generation.

198 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by SmartPolician: 5:37am On Oct 15, 2022
Just as every other governor elected to improve a state, Tinubu did his bit and stepped aside. However, my biggest concerns are Tinubu's negative legacies. Thugs, touts and extortion.

If this madness is replicated at national level, some of trying to maintain our sanity in already damaged Nigeria will be forced out of our father land. I will do my bit to stop that nonsense.

110 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Majesty2(m): 5:38am On Oct 15, 2022
donaldking100:

Your salty tears dey give me joy, shukudi Tinubu built Lagos, if uno like am go hang yourself.... Zombiediot, you and your new saviour, braindead peter Obidient will labour in vain, the akpu munching bastard will never smell aso rock

326 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Ozinlex: 5:39am On Oct 15, 2022
Tinubu can lie!...same Lagos I from attending Army Children School in Yaba off Morocco road, to St Finbarrs College in Akoka and the Yaba college of Technology in the 70s,80s to early 90s when Babangida was still in Dodan Barracks na him this man dey blow such lie.

The Ports sea and Air were already there, beaches, Theatres, most of the Oil Coys and big Banks...I beg shut the f.uck up and go rest with this repeated lies

183 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by sonofthunder: 5:42am On Oct 15, 2022
Idiko1:

This dude is a typical Yoruba fellow. I guess loudmouth is middle name for Yoruba peeps. I lived in Lagos during late 70s and early 80s. What jungle is this dumbass jackass talking about?

How old are you sir?

grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by GavelSlam: 5:51am On Oct 15, 2022
donaldking100:

Shatap.

At best you are 30 years old.

Which means you were 8 when Tinubu took over the reins and you have no clue what Lagos state was like.

Anyone telling you Lagos is comparable to Damascus is still living in the past.

People who have never been anywhere make assumptions until they see things for themselves.

Lagos has come a long way and this is in no small measure thanks to Tinubu and the successive government he helped to promote.

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by GavelSlam: 5:53am On Oct 15, 2022
sonofthunder:

How old are you sir?

grin

There are people one shouldn't pay attention to.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Flora2Sweet: 5:56am On Oct 15, 2022
Lagos is now unliveable, everywhere u see scary looking humans trying to extort you...

At any given chance...

39 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by BeardedMeat(m): 6:01am On Oct 15, 2022
Majesty2:
The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, has declared that he turned Lagos from a jungle to a megacity during his tenure as the governor of the state from 1999 to 2007.
In a programme that aired on Channels TV on Friday night, Tinubu said he laid the foundation that all other Lagos State governors after him built upon and are still building on to make the state what it is today.
Tinubu declared that under his leadership, Lagos came alive.
He said, “When I came in as governor of Lagos State in 1999, Lagos was a jungle. It was a completely uncivilised environment. There were refuse dumps everywhere, schools without roofs, hospitals without ambulances and oxygen tanks to save lives. It was in a very bad state.
“We started to put things in place gradually and the state began to take shape. What we did was to take the liabilities in the state and convert them to assets.

“Civic Centre to Oriental Hotel areas of Victoria Island were back then refuse dumps, but look at what the areas have turned to today. It is only the older ones who would remember all these.”
The mini documentary on Tinubu stated that the APC presidential candidate reengineered the revenue of the state and after he left the office of the governor in 2007, Lagos became completely autonomous from the Federal Government in terms of revenue generation having solely been dependent on federal allocations prior to 1999.
“When Tinubu took over in 1999, Lagos was bankrupt.
The internally generated revenue at the time was N600m monthly and the state was completely dependent on the Federal Government for it.
“When Tinubu was leaving office in 2007, the IGR of Lagos was N7bn monthly. Babatunde Fashola built on that legacy to N15bn monthly. This was made possible by the short, medium and long-term goals
that Tinubu laid down for the state in terms of revenue and wealth generation,”
the documentary revealed.
A short clip in the mini documentary also showed where the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), described Tinubu as a political strategist which drew him (Buhari) to Tinubu.
Buhari said, “Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has set himself apart as a political strategist and a mountain of ideas which drew me to him. He is a true humanitarian and has contributed immensely to the success of Nigeria and Africa.”
A former governor of the state, Babatunde Fashola and the current governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, in the programme, also gave credit to the APC presidential candidate for most of the projects that their administrations accomplished. They described Tinubu as the brain behind the developments in the state, adding that his tenure birthed most of the developments, long before they came in.

https://punchng.com/i-turned-lagos-from-jungle-to-megacity-tinubu/
mynd44
Yet not a single capable hospital to do knee surgery.

34 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by BeardedMeat(m): 6:02am On Oct 15, 2022
GavelSlam:

There are people one shouldn't pay attention to.
A people who send their very aged to the war front are not a serious people don't you think?
They should not be taken seriously..

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Racoon(m): 6:04am On Oct 15, 2022
Hehehe! So no other person have ever governed Lagos except you? Even the late Baba Kekere- Lateef Jakande whose legacies are the most enduring in the history of Lagos was not a shouty but quiet fella.

Baba wey no well dey use style avoid campaigning with the disastrous legacies the Buhari government he claimed he foist with style. So full of himself.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by bewla(m): 6:11am On Oct 15, 2022
jazon:
Jungle kor. Na desert grin
U better see light then take your self twenty years nack

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by babtaima(m): 6:12am On Oct 15, 2022
Some Nigerians want to de market Tinubu but it’s going to take a whole lot of extraordinary effort for Tinubu to lose this election… he has everything we need in a president , he has a strong portfolio… something Peter Obi lacks… Peter Obi was Governor of anambra yet nothing to show whereas Tinubu has LAGOS to show… Even if you vote other candidates Tinubu still wins let that sink in grin

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by Faber(m): 6:12am On Oct 15, 2022
Oga Agbado when are you turning Iragbiji to New Your city... grin grin

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Turned Lagos From Jungle To Megacity by jeff1993: 6:12am On Oct 15, 2022
Baba Emilokan !!!!!

Small time u will hear that he wants to turn Nigeria to Nuclear country!!!!

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Where Is Odigie Oyegun? / We Won’t Allow Imposition Of Urhobo As Bayelsa Deputy Gov - Ijaw Youths / You Talk Too Much: I Was Referring To Security Agents, not El-Rufai -NSA Monguno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.