Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! (43987 Views)

Is N150,000 Monthly A Good Salary ? / 774,000 Jobs: Beneficiaries Salary Is N60,000 Monthly - Festus Keyamo / Monthly Salary Of A Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Officer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by OptimistBrain: 4:36pm On Jan 15, 2023
Gadafii:
In 2017, I took up a particular job in a bank as productivity support officer, then the pay wasn’t worth it, because I would spend close to 70 percent on transport and feeding, luckily for me I met a colleague there on my first day that’s living in my neighborhood, she drives too, so transport was sorted, i was paid around 40k then, the experience was worth it, above all on a good month I could make twice my salary, because I worked with the vendors and they always wanna be in my hood book lol, I made lots of contacts , that when I left the job, some of them were helpful, guess what guess I learnt so much on how to handle simple computer issues, networks and connection, because I worked with the IT GUYS and they were very ready to teach me their job because they felt I would be able to fix some of these issues when they are not around, I really enjoyed my job until the 3rd year when I decided I had to move in because there was no career progress for me, even tho the money was coming in steady every month,and I had the opportunity to earn some online certifications.
till today some of this vendors and IT guys still recommend me for jobs, but I can’t work now because I have gone back to further my education

Sometimes it’s not really about the pay, but the experience, exposure and connections
Lol... This story is almost same as mine. From the salary, transportation, I have also worked three years and also going for my masters this year God's willing, because no career growth in my current job.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by correctguy101(m): 4:36pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

Word
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by iammolise(m): 4:38pm On Jan 15, 2023
And this is exactly why most manufacturing companies prefer to recruit OND levers than BSc, the rationale is that.
1. OND graduates can be employed for less there by cutting company cost.
2. They can be easily controlled and compliance percentage is 80
3. All staff will be trained once employed wether OND or BSc, it just boils down to individual self intelligence and field experience is not the same as what you were thought in school.
I know how many BSc grads I've trained on field Operation in my line of work.

1 Like

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by GloriousGbola: 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:
shocked Nigeria is messed up. I have a friend Bsc Accounting, MSc Finance bros dey work for club cry

a masters only works if you ALREADY have working experience. but as entry level - it is a bad idea.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by wizelink(m): 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2023
N150k is too small. That person dey high on cow dung. Reality Neva hitting him.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by bonnyhope: 4:40pm On Jan 15, 2023
freddie009:

I had the same thought, I was like it had to be an engineering job or nothing. My friends were angry at me, when they give me a job link I would ask if is an engineering job. I didn't go for the concluding stage of UBA interview because I wanted to complete my master probably it will give me a better chance of landing a job in the oil and gas sector, 11 years after graduation. Las las nah teaching I end up.

As a young engineering graduate, all your hope will be on Oil and gas work, I had the same feeling then, but I didn't allow it to get into my head, I took teaching job at a start and later got the engineering job.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by blyted: 4:40pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

Not withstanding the fact that you copied and pasted this context without references to the source, it's all tales. Brt fare has always been the same, either sitting or standing.

Do better to motivate us please.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by bonnyhope: 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:
shocked Nigeria is messed up. I have a friend Bsc Accounting, MSc Finance bros dey work for club cry

What happened to all the financial institutions
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by qanda: 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2023
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by puremaker7(m): 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:

Do you agree?
brt standing cheaper than seating, oga why you dey lie?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by fredoooooo: 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2023
He will blame jubrin later in the future
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by LUAN1: 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2023
freddie009:

I am a mechanical engineer as well, I teach in a school.
ok. Am looking for a school to teach too. Which state are you?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by jaxxy(m): 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
If the job brings alot of experience he should have taken it especially if its a 1st job. Money isn't the only factor in getting a job.

1 Like

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by frog12: 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
not too small depending on your obligations. 200k i think is becoming standard now
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Kingstanding: 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
CodeTemplar:
He could have accepted it and just see it as a intern role to learn. It is better to ignore it in his CV if he feels it will dowbgrage him in the eyes of prospective employers.
Forget that, the guy is a Yahoo guy his mouth is wide. Lazy youth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Shikena(m): 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
What is small depends on what you currently make. Even 50k can't be too small when you currently make 0k.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Thermodynamics(m): 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:

Do you agree?

He is an ignorant child, give me the job

1 Like

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by lilachiever(m): 4:45pm On Jan 15, 2023
My first job in 2016 paid me 12K per month.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by beardedboy(m): 4:47pm On Jan 15, 2023
Truvelisback:
Penny wise, Pounds foolish. He is a foolish man. God doesn't answer the prayer of foolishness. I guess, he has someone fending for him.
He might not be foolish.

There are three things people gain from a job;
1. Money to save and establish yourself in the future
2. Experience to apply for better roles in the future
3. Time to invest in learning and upskilling for better roles.

A job that offers none of the above is big no-no for me. People have different goals in life. That guy may stay jobless for two years, but if he invests those two years in the right path he can earn those two years salary in 6months or even less.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by sisisioge: 4:47pm On Jan 15, 2023
Fresh graduate last year rejected 150k as salary? He must be soft in the head. Mid-point salary for fresh Graduates in 2022 was 80k. Na real wa o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by BigDawsNet: 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2023
LUAN1:
same mentality am having, am always looking for engineering work. This is my 5yrs at home

I hope you not just sitting without learning a skill?

Have you learn one yet? If not start one digital course this year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Oyerinde16(m): 4:49pm On Jan 15, 2023
Asking the son of a director of account in a fed ministry to come take job of #150,000 is insulting... On a norm they handle more than #1,000,000 running errands in the house live large drive best cars etc... Is this the person you want to wake up 5am to be saying yes sir up and down... But offer that money to one ajekpako... He will forever be grateful...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by moneymagnet(m): 4:52pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and
professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Do you agree?

I totally agree with this…. My mantra from while i was still an undergraduate is “It’s Better to Work for nothing than to Sit doing nothing”

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Juban(m): 4:55pm On Jan 15, 2023
A fresh graduate rejecting 150k job has better alternatives.His parents must be rich and he has no problem with shelter. You can't convince me otherwise tongue
IyaTola:

Do you agree?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by taxiappguy: 4:58pm On Jan 15, 2023
Started my career with 45k cos I know where I’m going. Multiplied it by a factor of 10 in 3 years.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Jokerman(m): 5:00pm On Jan 15, 2023
freddie009:

I had the same thought, I was like it had to be an engineering job or nothing. My friends were angry at me, when they give me a job link I would ask if is an engineering job. I didn't go for the concluding stage of UBA interview because I wanted to complete my master probably it will give me a better chance of landing a job in the oil and gas sector, 11 years after graduation. Las las nah teaching I end up.

Don't give up bro.... since you have a master... you can start applying as a facility manager or officer, if you are still interested in Engineering though...
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by jiggar(m): 5:04pm On Jan 15, 2023
IyaTola:

Do you agree?

If only I saw such opportunity, wouldn't I have rushed and grabbed it?

Some of us with experience have not experienced such blessings on a platter of gold.

Should such divine opportunities pop up again, please do alert me if it's not much hassle on your side.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by nobetoday: 5:05pm On Jan 15, 2023
Fake story
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by starpower(m): 5:09pm On Jan 15, 2023
Your mindset will take you to places. Quite a lot of bosses are stressed 10times but we see things from our point of view only.
DesChyko:

True. Most Nigerian bosses are evil. I am a teacher too and I have a lot of evil things to say about my boss. That's if I choose to ignore all the positives he's had in my life. This is an experience that probably goes the opposite direction of yours.

I started as a lowly graduate teacher of a subject in a private school; but my thirst for self development meant my other skills in tech and guidance/counselling were offered for free to the school and students.

Didn't take long for the students to take to me and I took to them. Soon, I began to have more audience with the boss and took over everything tech-related in the school (website checks, electrical faults, DIYs tutorials, name it) and still teaching.

In addition, my knowledge of vast subject and willingness to read made me a buffer for many subjects. If the teacher is unavailable and I'm free, I'd cover for the subject. A number of staff then said it's eye service but I don't really care. I was doing what I love for a not-so-good pay. Soon, I became the V.P.(Acad) the year before COVID. and you could say it was a good achievement.

During COVID, school shut down for 6 months, my boss paid me salary all through, not 100% salary but better than nothing. The next year, my boss accepted my plea for an increment due to the rising costs and jacked up my current salary then by 50%, making me the highest paid in the school. I forgot to mention that the gifts in cash and kind I get from my boss could be worth up to my three-month salary per year in terms of value. He moved on to pay all the expenses for me to partake in a state-wide competition which I emerged first-runner up, putting the LGA on state map and the school too.

The presence of these achievements in my CV positioned me to land a remote opportunity whose pay dwarfs what I earn at the school by almost 400% in terms of value. My boss agreed to allow me spend only half the normal school time after which I leave to begin the remote task. Note that he didn't reduce my salary; neither did any of the benefits I get cut down.

The first 3 alerts I got this year were from former students I taught; who for one random reason or the other, thought of reaching out. One of my female students who graduated in 2019 has my account sitting in her DM now as per her request yesterday. Not to mention the many ways, many of them used their capacity to help me here and there (even to recommend/purchase quality electronic gadgets or jump those humongous queues at MTN Office grin). My birthday is tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I actually planned to celebrate my birthday. January tough. But not these students/former students. Every year for the past 5 years, they always turn up with plans.

I am Igbo, and we're quite few in my organization, my boss is Yoruba. I could have all sorts of petty things to say about him. I'm sure many of my colleagues will have a lot lot more to say about him. But in the things that matter, he has been a catapult to the very high grounds I find myself today and that is all that really matters to me (not petty things and not other people's opinion of him).

It's a lengthy read but I don't know who is sitting in a similar bus headed in a similar direction. It'll probably work out sooner or later. Just don't stop doing something legit. Anything.

2 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by starpower(m): 5:10pm On Jan 15, 2023
The red brt does at one time.
free2ryhme:

When I read through your statement I knew you were lying heavily.

Both standing and sitting you pay the same amount for ticket to enter.

BRT never charges different fair for sitting and standing.

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by LUAN1: 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2023
BigDawsNet:

I hope you not just sitting without learning a skill?

Have you learn one yet? If not start one digital course this year
thanks, am learning tho depression is limiting From learning it well, and I don't have something to support myself while learning it.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by EzeUmuokorobiaa: 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2023
He shouldn't have rejected the job.
Unless the working conditions were synonymous with mordern day slavery.

I remember my story. It was early 2018, I was young guy just rounding off university education. A Chinese company had just started operations in my community, there were many assurances from different quarters. The usual just finish school with a good grade we assure you that we will get you something good. I wasn't disarmed by such assurances I carried myself with my inexperience to one of the Chinese companies, gate crashed an interview, impressed the Chinese HR for a sales position that had applicants who studied marketing with years of marketing experience under their belts, I was among the four persons finally employed. Started work with no experience, salary was just 30k, I was told to manage it until after service that something good will be gotten for me. 5 years later, that 30k sales job blossomed, commissions started coming, it has gotten me a house, car, made me a landlord, gave me the impetus to start a family, gotten a side business, a few landed properties and much needed respect in the community.

If I had walked away when I first heard the pay who knows where ere I would be today?
Maybe somewhere better or somewhere worse but thank God for where I am today.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Life Savings Of 250k / N-Power Test: What's Your Score? / glo Customer Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.