Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. (27441 Views)

I Am Getting Married On 18th April 2020. Kogi Here We Come / My Fiancée Is Pregnant For Me. We Both Have AS Genotype / Identical Twin Sisters Get Married On Same Day To Men From Same State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Globalistic(f): 11:23am On Feb 06, 2023
Follow your heart brotherly.

I am AS and got married to AS. By the special grace of God, our two kids genotype are AA and AS. At the moment, we have stopped raising kids because God blessed us with two healthy boys.

For me, my advise to you is that if your faith isn't large like mine, go for AA.

God will guide and bless your decision.

16 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by gfelo(m): 11:24am On Feb 06, 2023
don't give up keep searching don't dare religion or genotype
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Prettygirl200(f): 11:25am On Feb 06, 2023
Atarakpa:
I feel your pain. We AA o+ are the moving train..... Any hole that's comes around the 1 with balls will sure do....
We are thesame genotype and blood group

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Realists(m): 11:26am On Feb 06, 2023
Barbados20:
Goodmorning house. Family and friends are pressuring me to marry but this is the dilemma am going through.

Genotype has become a major barrier for me to get married to lady whom I love. We are tested both AS. My fiancee is from the same ethnic and christian background like me.

On the other hand, I have this female friend whom i recently ask to know about her gnotype. She told me she is AA. Like joke, i ask for confirmation and she brought all d test results frm different lab. The issue is now this female friend is not from my tribe, she from a muslim background although she does not seriously practice it.

My fiancee from my tribal background, but genotype did not match with me. And the other lady from different background, she is AA and match with me. One girl I dated then was AA but the love was not there between us.

Its really frustrating to be AS if you are a Man that want to settle down I am really confused right now. Am above 30. How do i handle this issue of Genotype, ethinc and religious issues? Pls i need advice.
Islamaphobia is a mental problem that only true research on Islam can cure.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Grupo(m): 11:27am On Feb 06, 2023
Allthebestt:
Hmmm nawaooh
Meanwhile at a cheap price DM me for your logo and flyer design

Do you design ebook covers? Price?

And can I see samples?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by egunna(m): 11:27am On Feb 06, 2023
Barbados20:
Goodmorning house. Family and friends are pressuring me to marry but this is the dilemma am going through.

Genotype has become a major barrier for me to get married to lady whom I love. We are tested both AS. My fiancee is from the same ethnic and christian background like me.

On the other hand, I have this female friend whom i recently ask to know about her gnotype. She told me she is AA. Like joke, i ask for confirmation and she brought all d test results frm different lab. The issue is now this female friend is not from my tribe, she from a muslim background although she does not seriously practice it.

My fiancee from my tribal background, but genotype did not match with me. And the other lady from different background, she is AA and match with me. One girl I dated then was AA but the love was not there between us.

Its really frustrating to be AS if you are a Man that want to settle down I am really confused right now. Am above 30. How do i handle this issue of Genotype, ethinc and religious issues? Pls i need advice.
are u really bent on marrying someone from ur ethnic group?u can cast ur net wider,coz even the Muslim lady might have issues marrying u.her family might not agree coz Islam forbids it,am a Muslim,so I know.our females do not marry other faiths even though we males can.so cast ur net wider,even within ur ethnic group u can still find one.ask ur family members and friends to connect u.but whatever you finally do,don't marry the AS lady,it's practical and realistic.the consequence might be frustrating later in life.u will feel like running away but can't and won't.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by just2endowed: 11:27am On Feb 06, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:
About 50% of Nigerians are AS, that means one out of 2 Nigerians carry the sickle cell trait. Less than 40% are AA and under 4 % are SS.

Your options

1.Marry AS like yourself and do prenatal diagnosis
You will abort any SS fetus before the end of the first trimester

2. Marry someone of European ancestry. They don't have the condition

3.Wait for biotechnology to come up with a cure or work around before you marry. It's very possible this century especially with the Advent of AI

4. Don't marry anyone.

ypur number 2 caught me, why is the disease common in Africa? was it from cross breeding from another species of non Homo sapient?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Chris2863(m): 11:28am On Feb 06, 2023
Badhguy:
You can still have up to three kids, all (AS) if you go head. It is from the 4th child that comes out as (SS). You can confirm this by asking your doctor.
you are supper funny. They need to arrest whoever taught you this

8 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Kajaard: 11:28am On Feb 06, 2023
Badhguy:
You can still have up to three kids, all (AS) if you go head. It is from the 4th child that comes out as (SS). You can confirm this by asking your doctor.

You people just say rubbish with full confidence undecided

There is a 25% chance that any birth would be a full blown SS sickler ( 1 in 4 chances), so the first child could even be the one with SS.

This is the reason why people should take advice they get from nairaland with a pinch of salt. Too many beer parlour professors here. Nonsense.

13 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Rechargeam247(f): 11:29am On Feb 06, 2023
Dhury:
Maybe healthy child's in marriage is about luck not genotypes though i will make sure I know my genotype soon ,as well of
my future wife, but my question is If these genotype issues is real why All people from my rural areas never get problem from it despite not knowing their status till date and all their children are healthy.take me and all my siblings for example our parents don't even know what is genotype but we are not affected with any genotype issues we are all healthy.
This isn't true, if you are Yoruba, you would have heard of 'Abiku', children dying and coming back like they believe in those days. I think it was based on luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by EmmyOD(m): 11:31am On Feb 06, 2023
I think na money wey never dey no b say you b AS.

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by babawon2: 11:31am On Feb 06, 2023
Badhguy:
i be 3rd child i be SS and am the only out of 5 kid. but i regret coming to this world

6 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Prettygirl200(f): 11:32am On Feb 06, 2023
Since u are As u cannot Marry AS like yu ooo that's an error. It's better u leave both ladies and look for another relationship. Thank God for my genotype am AA 0+
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Fedrick100: 11:33am On Feb 06, 2023
kay29000:

Lol. That's how I prayed too, and I turned out As... World no end.

What baffles me in all this is, All My mum family married without checking their genotype and they didn’t give birth to ss, My parents also married without checking their genotype, None of my siblings are ss. My elder brother too married without checking their genotype, none of his kids are Ss too

7 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by 1Sharon(f): 11:33am On Feb 06, 2023
just2endowed:

ypur number 2 caught me, why is the disease common in Africa? was it from cross breeding from another species of non Homo sapient?

That's just the way it is in Africa.

In other places around the world they have hemoglobin D, E, H.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by lereinter(m): 11:34am On Feb 06, 2023
Why are you tired

Keep searching

That's life

That girl that's not your religion, what's the religion of both her parents
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by OkoAnike(m): 11:34am On Feb 06, 2023
Queendera:
It's painful. We get it.

But time they say heals all wounds, well except that of a sickle cell child.

You are not limited to the two ladies you mentioned.

Leave the first girl alone. And if you don't find the second girl desirable for marriage, leave her alone too.

You are a man. A hunter. Go into the forest and get your hands dirty. Find other girls and start again.

What a perfect way to describe man, you sure going to be a good wife...
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by smartmom(f): 11:34am On Feb 06, 2023
Badhguy:

This is erroneous. The probability ratio doesn't necessarily mean all 4 can't be SS. A couple I know (both AS) had 3 SS and 1 AS. Be careful in your decision. Unless you won't have children, don't risk the lives of birthing sicklers.

2 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by maasoap(m): 11:37am On Feb 06, 2023
mostHandsome01:
I will be brutally honest with you and summarise as much as I can.

Believe me, it is better to marry who you love and loves you back than to marry someone because they are AA and after marriage, your life becomes miserable. Many ignorant people will tell you, don't marry your fiancee, you will suffer if you do, etc. But the truth is, knowing you and your fiancee are AS doesn't mean you will both go ahead to have children with SS. You can marry your fiancee that is also AS if you are properly informed. Many will tell you it is not worth it. Yes, it is not worth it to give birth to SS children and let them suffer, but it is worth it to get married to who will give you peace and then you both go through other well known, well proven means of giving birth to children without SS.

Some will tell you, it's too expensive to do as though the money is coming out of their pockets. This mostly happens in Nigeria due to the so many uneducated and uninformed people we have . Some are even educated but still uninformed. Technology has changed the scope of many things. To cut the long story short. If you must marry someone who is AS like you. Do not make the mistake of having a child without doing one of the 2 options below...

1) Prenatal testing: fertility clinics in Nigeria do this. When a woman is pregnant, they check the genotype of the fetus, if the featus is AA or AS (75% chance) they leave the fetus. But if the fetus is SS(25% chance) they safely remove the fetus. Now this isn't for everyone as some people may feel it's against their morals to remove a fetus even if it's SS. So for people like this, you can go for the second option

2) PGD : this is a process where a woman's egg is fertilized with a man's sperm. Several specimen will be carried out, the couple can then choose the one with either AA or AS, that way they stand no risk of having an SS child. Some people use this process to choose the gender of a child. And this process can also lead to twin and even more as many celebrities or people looking for children do this and that's why you see them giving birth to twins at once.

Now listen to me, some people will still discourage you. They will say the stress is not worth it because they are already lucky to find a partner that's AA. Some will say the money is too much even though the money isn't coming out from their pocket. The decision is yours and yours alone. If you want to marry for love and peace and the person giving you this is AS. Go for any of the options above. It's all your choice to make. So there you go. You either marry AA, or do any of the options above. Just make sure you do not have SS children.

You are just ranting about what others would tell him to do and not to do instead of giving your crappy opinion straight. Why bother yourself with what others would tell him?
Money won't come out of their pockets but have you asked him if he can afford the cost? Have you given him the total cost? Have you asked him if he's mentally strong to go through the process considering the time, money, mental and other resources it requires?

3 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by frozen70(f): 11:37am On Feb 06, 2023
Barbados20:

If you really want the first Lady that ticked your boxes, go for her
Both of you are AS
Then go for child adoption or surrogacy

Or you keep searching which is not easy

But when you get one
Concentrate on the followings
Geno type
Religion
Tribe

And other factors that you wish

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Ashirioluwa: 11:39am On Feb 06, 2023
@Barbados20

The second lady's genotype is AA, but he does not wish to marry her because they are not from the same tribe as he claimed.

This young man is among many who are quick to assume that white people are racist but never stop to consider their own actions.

The most racist and tribalistic individuals I have ever met are from this country called Nigeria.

Ibos cannot marry Yorubas; Yorubas cannot marry Hausas; Christians can’t marry Muslims; and Ondo people can’t marry Ijebu people. We need to stop this madness.

2 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by codemaniacs: 11:39am On Feb 06, 2023
Globalistic:
Follow your heart brotherly.

I am AS and got married to AS. By the special grace of God, our two kids genotype are AA and AS. At the moment, we have stopped raising kids because God blessed us with two healthy boys.

For me, my advise to you is that if your faith isn't large like mine, go for AA.

God will guide and bless your decision.

It has nothing to do with faith but knowing the date and time of day you had sex with your husband that resulted in your pregnancy.

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by DeepRoyal: 11:39am On Feb 06, 2023
1Sharon:
AS genotype shouldn't be a hindrance! If you meet a woman that is AS you can still go ahead.

Go for genetic counselling, there are options.

You can do:

amniocentesis OR

pre implantation genetic diagnosis.

Those options are if you have the money and are brave enough.

Say he is brave enough and he comes out on the other side. Would it be really worth it? Wouldn't it be like a pyrrhic victory?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Onelove508: 11:40am On Feb 06, 2023
Badhguy:

Lolz.
Are u kidding me?!

4 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Dpg12345(m): 11:41am On Feb 06, 2023
No go Bleep yourself up,just erase the feelings.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Lifebender(m): 11:41am On Feb 06, 2023
mostHandsome01:
I will be brutally honest with you and summarise as much as I can.

Believe me, it is better to marry who you love and loves you back than to marry someone because they are AA and after marriage, your life becomes miserable. Many ignorant people will tell you, don't marry your fiancee, you will suffer if you do, etc. But the truth is, knowing you and your fiancee are AS doesn't mean you will both go ahead to have children with SS. You can marry your fiancee that is also AS if you are properly informed. Many will tell you it is not worth it. Yes, it is not worth it to give birth to SS children and let them suffer, but it is worth it to get married to who will give you peace and then you both go through other well known, well proven means of giving birth to children without SS.

Some will tell you, it's too expensive to do as though the money is coming out of their pockets. This mostly happens in Nigeria due to the so many uneducated and uninformed people we have . Some are even educated but still uninformed. Technology has changed the scope of many things. To cut the long story short. If you must marry someone who is AS like you. Do not make the mistake of having a child without doing one of the 2 options below...

1) Prenatal testing: fertility clinics in Nigeria do this. When a woman is pregnant, they check the genotype of the fetus, if the featus is AA or AS (75% chance) they leave the fetus. But if the fetus is SS(25% chance) they safely remove the fetus. Now this isn't for everyone as some people may feel it's against their morals to remove a fetus even if it's SS. So for people like this, you can go for the second option

2) PGD : this is a process where a woman's egg is fertilized with a man's sperm. Several specimen will be carried out, the couple can then choose the one with either AA or AS, that way they stand no risk of having an SS child. Some people use this process to choose the gender of a child. And this process can also lead to twin and even more as many celebrities or people looking for children do this and that's why you see them giving birth to twins at once.

Now listen to me, some people will still discourage you. They will say the stress is not worth it because they are already lucky to find a partner that's AA. Some will say the money is too much even though the money isn't coming out from their pocket. The decision is yours and yours alone. If you want to marry for love and peace and the person giving you this is AS. Go for any of the options above. It's all your choice to make. So there you go. You either marry AA, or do any of the options above. Just make sure you do not have SS children.

Bless you.You spoke my mind.
It's not about getting married and having kids,their's no assurance that one is even fertile enough to father a child.Why not opt for happiness then
But a lot of folks are misinformed in Nigeria today,they don't read.
The issue is...get married,but don't bring SS kids into this world.
The only thing I have to add is...He should have the money for this things.The risks,can be taken care of by the facility he chooses.

6 Likes

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by 1Sharon(f): 11:43am On Feb 06, 2023
DeepRoyal:

Say he is brave enough and he comes out on the other side. Would it be really worth it? Wouldn't it be like a pyrrhic victory?

What do you mean come out of the other side? Do you know what you're talking about?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by CaptainAyub: 11:44am On Feb 06, 2023
Barbados20:

There's a new test now, "circulating fetal DNA" or somethings like that.
A blood sample is drawn from the mother at about 11-12 weeks GA,then the foetus' DNA is extracted from the mother's blood and tested for sickle cell.

Then there's also the old chorionic villi sampling where the sample is collected directly from the womb.

Both carry the moral burden of abortion should the foetus be SS.

For me,not worth it!
Many fishes in the ocean.

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Isabi4lov: 11:46am On Feb 06, 2023
I lost two of my classmates to sickle cell disease, pls don't bring children to this world to suffer

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by codemaniacs: 11:50am On Feb 06, 2023
just2endowed:

It is not a disease..

it's a genotype that requires lots of oxygen and drinking of water and proper feeding.

Africa used to be filled with gardens and farms which created too much oxygen in the atmosphere which minimised the harmful effects of the genotype and reduced sickness that's why someone who's genotype is SS but lives in a village doesn't fall sick often because they are living around thousands of trees which gives them more than enough oxygen.

It is common in Africa because the previous generations ( from 1920s till date ) did not check genotype before getting married.. the previous generations did not make it a criminal offense for people with the S Gene to marry each other.

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by EmperorFred: 11:51am On Feb 06, 2023
Prettygirl200:
Since u are As u cannot Marry AS like yu ooo that's an error. It's better u leave both ladies and look for another relationship. Thank God for my genotype am AA 0+
Hi, are you married?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Six Years Relationship Almost Crashing / My Girlfriend Was Raped / Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.