Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. (27442 Views)

I Am Getting Married On 18th April 2020. Kogi Here We Come / My Fiancée Is Pregnant For Me. We Both Have AS Genotype / Identical Twin Sisters Get Married On Same Day To Men From Same State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:39pm On Feb 06, 2023
funkmrflexx:

My wife and I are both AS and we plan to do prenatal testing once she gets pregnant. If you have the means to do these type tests or go for IVF then you should get married to the lady u love. I've already made up my mind to spend up to like 500k for test anytime my wife gets pregnant. So if you have the means you should proceed with marry her.

A lot of people are suffering from these issues today but I decided no to let it stop my happiness

Please come back to tell us how it went.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by 1Sharon(f): 7:40pm On Feb 06, 2023
paradigmshift:
can this be done in Australia?

Why not.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by 1Sharon(f): 7:41pm On Feb 06, 2023
Saintmary:

Nigeria is not a first-world country,so this advice is not applicable.

Presently in Nigeria, amniocentesis is still an avant garde dream procedure, we know about it, but we do not have the facilities to perform it, neither do we have the facilities to provide this specific post-op care.

His fiancee will find love elsewhere, they will both be alright at the end.

PGD nko, you can't do that one either?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by AyobamiIsaac12: 7:42pm On Feb 06, 2023
Dhury:
Maybe healthy child's in marriage is about luck not genotypes though i will make sure I know my genotype soon ,as well of
my future wife, but my question is If these genotype issues is real why All people from my rural areas never get problem from it despite not knowing their status till date and all their children are healthy.take me and all my siblings for example our parents don't even know what is genotype but we are not affected with any genotype issues we are all healthy.
It's pure luck.
Future wife kee shocked Or prospective wife?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Karlifate: 8:00pm On Feb 06, 2023
mostHandsome01:
I will be brutally honest with you and summarise as much as I can.

Believe me, it is better to marry who you love and loves you back than to marry someone because they are AA and after marriage, your life becomes miserable. Many ignorant people will tell you, don't marry your fiancee, you will suffer if you do, etc. But the truth is, knowing you and your fiancee are AS doesn't mean you will both go ahead to have children with SS. You can marry your fiancee that is also AS if you are properly informed. Many will tell you it is not worth it. Yes, it is not worth it to give birth to SS children and let them suffer, but it is worth it to get married to who will give you peace and then you both go through other well known, well proven means of giving birth to children without SS.

Some will tell you, it's too expensive to do as though the money is coming out of their pockets. This mostly happens in Nigeria due to the so many uneducated and uninformed people we have . Some are even educated but still uninformed. Technology has changed the scope of many things. To cut the long story short. If you must marry someone who is AS like you. Do not make the mistake of having a child without doing one of the 2 options below...

1) Prenatal testing: fertility clinics in Nigeria do this. When a woman is pregnant, they check the genotype of the fetus, if the featus is AA or AS (75% chance) they leave the fetus. But if the fetus is SS(25% chance) they safely remove the fetus. Now this isn't for everyone as some people may feel it's against their morals to remove a fetus even if it's SS. So for people like this, you can go for the second option

2) PGD : this is a process where a woman's egg is fertilized with a man's sperm. Several specimen will be carried out, the couple can then choose the one with either AA or AS, that way they stand no risk of having an SS child. Some people use this process to choose the gender of a child. And this process can also lead to twin and even more as many celebrities or people looking for children do this and that's why you see them giving birth to twins at once.

Now listen to me, some people will still discourage you. They will say the stress is not worth it because they are already lucky to find a partner that's AA. Some will say the money is too much even though the money isn't coming out from their pocket. The decision is yours and yours alone. If you want to marry for love and peace and the person giving you this is AS. Go for any of the options above. It's all your choice to make. So there you go. You either marry AA, or do any of the options above. Just make sure you do not have SS children.

Gbam!

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Karlifate: 8:04pm On Feb 06, 2023
abobote:
Are you kidding me ? We AS we are not even much, AA full everywhere, if you are a lady, I will understand, but a man saying this, is shameful.
When I discovered that I was AS, any lady I'm about starting a serious relationship with, I will take her to genotype test.
Abeg girls full everywhere, except you are not exposed and broke at the same time

grin grin

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by lala45: 8:08pm On Feb 06, 2023
Come let us marry, I am AA from a good Christian Background
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by HRprof: 8:16pm On Feb 06, 2023
Doctors in the house I have questions for you.
They said AA is the best genotype but they fall sick more easily than the AS ?
Why they sick malaria more often? Is malaria invented for the AA ? wink I’m curious

My opinion AA is just good when it comes to marriage but AS have strong immune system more than AA. I don’t want to mention SS because their case is different.

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by spiceadole: 8:20pm On Feb 06, 2023
Barbados20:
Goodmorning house. Family and friends are pressuring me to marry but this is the dilemma am going through.

Genotype has become a major barrier for me to get married to lady whom I love. We are tested both AS. My fiancee is from the same ethnic and christian background like me.

On the other hand, I have this female friend whom i recently ask to know about her gnotype. She told me she is AA. Like joke, i ask for confirmation and she brought all d test results frm different lab. The issue is now this female friend is not from my tribe, she from a muslim background although she does not seriously practice it.

My fiancee from my tribal background, but genotype did not match with me. And the other lady from different background, she is AA and match with me. One girl I dated then was AA but the love was not there between us.

Its really frustrating to be AS if you are a Man that want to settle down I am really confused right now. Am above 30. How do i handle this issue of Genotype, ethinc and religious issues? Pls i need advice.

Surprised this is coming from a man.
I actually thought it was a woman...

Wonders shall never cease..
The gender that brags about 7 women chasing each of them is now sounding so desperate and frustrated
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Saintmary(f): 8:34pm On Feb 06, 2023
1Sharon:

PGD nko, you can't do that one either?

I don't have information on it
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Saintmary(f): 8:38pm On Feb 06, 2023
akube34:
shuu if you don’t know much, keep quiet.

I should keep quiet so that you can mislead people, do you think I'm talking because of you?

I'm sharing this information so that people will avoid regrets later in life.

When Sickle cell trouble and expenses start now, love will clear, only fight will remain.

Just dey your lane o

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by kay29000(m): 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2023
Ssddff:

Don’t mind him. White people also carry the sickle cell trait and can have sickle cell anaemia. But it is rare

Okay.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by funkmrflexx(m): 9:04pm On Feb 06, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Please come back to tell us how it went.

No problem. You are invited to our baby dedication

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by NezzyMike: 9:22pm On Feb 06, 2023
1Sharon:
AS genotype shouldn't be a hindrance! If you meet a woman that is AS you can still go ahead.

Go for genetic counselling, there are options.

You can do:

amniocentesis OR

pre implantation genetic diagnosis.

Those options are if you have the money and are brave enough.

Shhhhshhhhhhshsh! Stop that advise in this 21st century. I lost a 16 year old niece six months ago of sickle cell anemia. She was the 3rd child and mum's favourite cry

1 Like

Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by 1Sharon(f): 9:32pm On Feb 06, 2023
NezzyMike:

Shhhhshhhhhhshsh! Stop that advise in this 21st century. I lost a 16 year old niece six months ago of sickle cell anemia. She was the 3rd child and mum's favourite cry

Did you read my comment at all?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by babawon2: 11:01pm On Feb 06, 2023
Sandazblack:

Why do you say so
it cause some damages in my body which affect my life. priapism. gnaecomastia. impotency, and these happened due to my genotype. am not even happy with life. nothing fit make me happy for this life
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by emmanuelpopson(m): 11:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
Badhguy:
You can still have up to three kids, all (AS) if you go ahead. It is from the 4th child that comes out as (SS). You can confirm this by asking your doctor.

omo. what is this one saying?? nah u want do the cross breeding what non.sense is this you spewing
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by akube34: 11:25pm On Feb 06, 2023
NezzyMike:

did u read d comment?
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by FKMagazine(m): 12:23am On Feb 07, 2023
Barbados20:
Goodmorning house. Family and friends are pressuring me to marry but this is the dilemma am going through.

Genotype has become a major barrier for me to get married to lady whom I love. We are tested both AS. My fiancee is from the same ethnic and christian background like me.

On the other hand, I have this female friend whom i recently ask to know about her gnotype. She told me she is AA. Like joke, i ask for confirmation and she brought all d test results frm different lab. The issue is now this female friend is not from my tribe, she from a muslim background although she does not seriously practice it.

My fiancee from my tribal background, but genotype did not match with me. And the other lady from different background, she is AA and match with me. One girl I dated then was AA but the love was not there between us.

Its really frustrating to be AS if you are a Man that want to settle down I am really confused right now. Am above 30. How do i handle this issue of Genotype, ethinc and religious issues? Pls i need advice.

Open ur eyes wide and read what I'm about to write
What is ur goal in marriage?
What qualities do you want/need in a woman & have u seen it in any of the ladies?
What type of children would u love to have & raise?
Are you a religious fanatic?
And last but shud have even come first is, How close & dedicated are you to the Almighty God?
If you can answer all these questions above, then you shud know what works for u
And you're very close to the final decision & conclusion.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by luminouz(m): 1:45am On Feb 07, 2023
SmartPolician:
My AS female friend has lost a lot of potential suitors due to her genotype. The other day, she called me and was crying. Husbands are scarce and now imagine a girl losing the few suitors who come around. A lot of guys out there are mere fvck boys!

We cannot continue like this. Nigerian health experts should do something about this. These posh people, who speak highly of themselves and profession, should justify why they went to school. We must not wait for Americans to solve all our problems. Unfortunately, the Caucasians don't even see this as a problem among themselves that's why they rarely talk about it

Gimme her number. I'm fully AA cheesy
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by DrDunamis(m): 2:30am On Feb 07, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Love alone does not keep marriage

You can ask the married couples.

I think you are already understanding that.

My brother sickle cell is not childs play. You will have high BP. You will regret your decision of marrying and then the love for don clear comot for your eyes.

It can not work.

Don't bring children to suffer because of your own love and desperation to marry.

On health grounds it is not worth it.

In addition to this, do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers... except she's getting born again before you marry her
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Pat081: 9:09am On Feb 07, 2023
This should not b your problem tribe and Muslim so far you love her or you can go for the AS but think about the unborn children when it is time
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Sandazblack: 1:59pm On Feb 07, 2023
babawon2:
it cause some damages in my body which affect my life. priapism. gnaecomastia. impotency, and these happened due to my genotype. am not even happy with life. nothing fit make me happy for this life

Sorry about that :- sometimes all we gotta do is embrace who we are cuz it’s what it is no matter what. Be strong and of good faith
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by PrimadonnaO(f): 4:43pm On Feb 07, 2023
paradigmshift:
thanks so much I have learned.. with the pgd, I can choose the genotype that I want and even decide to have a twins?

My other questions are ; I haven't seen or heard Nigerians overseas complain of this sickle cell or are there treatment abroad for it or it's not necessary for Nigerians to check for genotype when you are ovseseas ?

Lastly, can this pgd be done overseas?

Yes,PGD can be done overseas.

As a matter of fact, most of the facilities in Nigeria send their samples overseas for testing.

...and as for people being abroad not typically suffering from the sickle cell anaemic condition, it's largely about race DNA if there's any such thing. So if an SS Nigerian relocates abroad, their genotype wouldn't automatically change.

The SS genotype is simply not common with non-Africans.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by paradigmshift(m): 5:12pm On Feb 07, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Yes,PGD can be done overseas.

As a matter of fact, most of the facilities in Nigeria send their samples overseas for testing.

...and as for people being abroad not typically suffering from the sickle cell anaemic condition, it's largely about race DNA if there's any such thing. So if an SS Nigerian relocates abroad, their genotype wouldn't automatically change.

The SS genotype is simply not common with non-Africans.
thanks a lot. The last part of my question is not cleared to you. Let me explain.
.if an AS husband and wife relocates abroad to marry, will they also worry about the sickle cell issues since they are medically advanced there? Or they should also go for pgd or IVF for safety purposes?

Is IVF and pgd thesame ? Just curious.

Thanks for the free tutorial ☺️
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:22pm On Feb 07, 2023
paradigmshift:
thanks a lot. The last part of my question is not cleared to you. Let me explain.
.if an AS husband and wife relocates abroad to marry, will they also worry about the sickle cell issues since they are medically advanced there? Or they should also go for pgd or IVF for safety purposes?

Is IVF and pgd thesame ? Just curious.

Thanks for the free tutorial ☺️

Yes, they will still have to worry about the sickle cell crisis. However, medicine has advanced some, and there's better management for SS patients overseas.

But I'm sure you'll agree with me that having an SS baby must be averted at all costs.

I also stand with those who have stated that the AS-AS match doesn't have to be an absolute deal breaker anymore. This is the 21st century. There are diverse options around this.

PGT-M involves the IVF procedure. It's a step in the whole process.

After the eggs/semen have been tested to ascertain the preferred genotype, the rest of the procedure is IVF.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:24pm On Feb 07, 2023
funkmrflexx:

No problem. You are invited to our baby dedication

Awwwwwwn. Y'allz already got your baby? smiley

Congratulations!
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by paradigmshift(m): 5:54pm On Feb 07, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Yes, they will still have to worry about the sickle cell crisis. However, medicine has advanced some, and there's better management for SS patients overseas.

But I'm sure you'll agree with me that having an SS baby must be averted at all costs.

I also stand with those who have stated that the AS-AS match doesn't have to be an absolute deal breaker anymore. This is the 21st century. There are diverse options around this.

PGT-M involves the IVF procedure. It's a step in the whole process.

After the eggs/semen have been tested to ascertain the preferred genotype, the rest of the procedure is IVF.
thanks for the teaching.. have learned a lot and I am grateful. You are awesome.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by space9880: 8:42am On Feb 08, 2023
Badhguy:
You can still have up to three kids, all (AS) if you go ahead. It is from the 4th child that comes out as (SS). You can confirm this by asking your doctor.
don’t mislead people. Everything is based on chance, they can even give birth to 10 AA or 10 SS
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:40am On Feb 08, 2023
paradigmshift:
thanks for the teaching.. have learned a lot and I am grateful. You are awesome.

You're welcome.
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by Cutehector(m): 2:25pm On Feb 08, 2023
mostHandsome01:
I will be brutally honest with you and summarise as much as I can.

Believe me, it is better to marry who you love and loves you back than to marry someone because they are AA and after marriage, your life becomes miserable. Many ignorant people will tell you, don't marry your fiancee, you will suffer if you do, etc. But the truth is, knowing you and your fiancee are AS doesn't mean you will both go ahead to have children with SS. You can marry your fiancee that is also AS if you are properly informed. Many will tell you it is not worth it. Yes, it is not worth it to give birth to SS children and let them suffer, but it is worth it to get married to who will give you peace and then you both go through other well known, well proven means of giving birth to children without SS.

Some will tell you, it's too expensive to do as though the money is coming out of their pockets. This mostly happens in Nigeria due to the so many uneducated and uninformed people we have . Some are even educated but still uninformed. Technology has changed the scope of many things. To cut the long story short. If you must marry someone who is AS like you. Do not make the mistake of having a child without doing one of the 2 options below...

1) Prenatal testing: fertility clinics in Nigeria do this. When a woman is pregnant, they check the genotype of the fetus, if the featus is AA or AS (75% chance) they leave the fetus. But if the fetus is SS(25% chance) they safely remove the fetus. Now this isn't for everyone as some people may feel it's against their morals to remove a fetus even if it's SS. So for people like this, you can go for the second option

2) PGD : this is a process where a woman's egg is fertilized with a man's sperm. Several specimen will be carried out, the couple can then choose the one with either AA or AS, that way they stand no risk of having an SS child. Some people use this process to choose the gender of a child. And this process can also lead to twin and even more as many celebrities or people looking for children do this and that's why you see them giving birth to twins at once.

Now listen to me, some people will still discourage you. They will say the stress is not worth it because they are already lucky to find a partner that's AA. Some will say the money is too much even though the money isn't coming out from their pocket. The decision is yours and yours alone. If you want to marry for love and peace and the person giving you this is AS. Go for any of the options above. It's all your choice to make. So there you go. You either marry AA, or do any of the options above. Just make sure you do not have SS children.
mention the cost involved
Re: My (AS) Genotype. A Major Hindrance In Getting Married On Time. by EmperorFred: 12:31pm On Feb 09, 2023
Prettygirl200:
lol ewooo u are funny, u don't have to do that? If I want Fi get married 4years later add it to ur age u no go don go far? See it's a matter of starting another relationship like someone said, socialize go to parties, churches, u can still search on social media like Instagram, Facebook and so on u know, u can't wait for me.
Hi most gorgeous

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Six Years Relationship Almost Crashing / My Girlfriend Was Raped / Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.