Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice - Family (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice (52808 Views)

Why I Won't Allow My Brother To Bring His Wife Abroad- Nigerian Lady, Arike(vid) / Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by delishpot: 10:18am On Mar 30, 2023
I would send that wife away likewise if I am a daughter and my husband rejects my mom in her critical time I will divorce him and sue for half of what we accumulated during the marriage.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by justloo(m): 10:27am On Mar 30, 2023
Forgive but don't mask your feelings because you will not feel at ease anytime you see your mother-inlaw in your house and perhaps see your wife treat her with the kindness that she denied your mother.

Make her see why life is not a straight line so that she will learn from the experience and in future, when issues arise, she will wear empathy as a clothe before making a decision.

In fact, make her understand that you have the power now to do exactly what she did but you won't go down that path because this is your only opportunity to show her mother your humanity.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Livelystone01: 10:40am On Mar 30, 2023
frozen70:

For the mere fact that her husband will not contribute a penny for her medication is enough for his wife to deal with

By then she will feel more emotional pains than what she did to her mother in law and it will be too late to apologize
It's like you don't understand entitled people, they only think about themselves. For her to have the courage to bring this up despite her shenanigans against the mother inlaw shows she's entitled and entitled people do not regret their actions.

Her mother should live with her siblings, that's the law she agreed to in the beginning, nothing should change it.

This way, she'll think before acting wicked next time.

She's should be also ready to face her repercussions from her daughter in-law.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Gloriagee(f): 10:57am On Mar 30, 2023
Waoh, the story is sooo strange? Was it a question of her being too religious for your wife and frowning at her actions or dressing? Did you have househelps or your wife was scared to be overwhelmed by the labour? There just might be another angle....

ozalogbo:
As I read some of your comments, I smiled. Let me provide some information about my mum: she was a born again Christian, a genuine one. She belonged to those holiness preaching denomination. She was a peaceful person. When I stamped my feet and said no! she would be the one to say no, my son.
She would be the one to say, 'What God has joined together, let no one put asunder'. And she would quietly take her leave, against my stand. That was a big problem. She would say, instead of there to be trouble in your home because of me, I better leave. She was TOO peaceful
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by OlawaleBammie: 11:03am On Mar 30, 2023
handsomeyitayo:

thank you my dear brother, i love your write up, this OP is so stupid sorry to say ,where is he when his wife maltreating his mother and he is there doing one stupid love, no woman can try such with , she will leave that house that day. even he would have bring in a care giver to care for his mother simple... i hate to hear this kind of stories that" my wife didn't allow my mum in our home" .. any lady try such with me will be dealt with because i wouldn't do that to her own parents i love her own family.. that why i do ask this if i love your own families you must love my family.

ABI ooh, but here we are...OP is the definition of oponu
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by eubee01: 11:06am On Mar 30, 2023
As much as I don't encourage rancour in marriages, Matt. 7 vs 12 is still the golden rule to life.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Klass99(f): 11:07am On Mar 30, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by TheChameleon: 11:11am On Mar 30, 2023
The OP died with a disappointed mum. I wish I could flog him on her behalf. angry

You're a useless bastard if you allow her mum to stay.

Best you can offer is the exact number of days your own mum got.

But if na me, she wouldn't even step in my compound. angry let the useless daughter leave if she wants.

I feel like strangling you. I wish I could at least pummel you for what you did to your mum angry

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by bluebay(m): 11:19am On Mar 30, 2023
I didn’t read the story but for the headline, Don’t allow her stay with you. She can visit but not passing the night . Don’t make that mistake sir
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:21am On Mar 30, 2023
Gloriagee:
Waoh, the story is sooo strange? Was it a question of her being too religious for your wife and frowning at her actions or dressing? Did you have househelps or your wife was scared to be overwhelmed by the labour? There just might be another angle....

All this manipulative questions won't help you. Just say the truth. If your husband doesn't want your people around for no reason, would you want his?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by sasalihu8: 11:25am On Mar 30, 2023
Family is beyond you and your wife and your children. Women should understand that when get married to a man, they equally marry entire family. That is why the call her "Our wife" She is married to the man and his family. The earlier they know this the better. But the modern 21st century woman sees the man she marry as "My Man" - her exclusive possession and she is even territorial and defensive about it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by frozen70(f): 11:28am On Mar 30, 2023
Livelystone01:

It's like you don't understand entitled people, they only think about themselves. For her to have the courage to bring this up despite her shenanigans against the mother inlaw shows she's entitled and entitled people do not regret their actions.

Her mother should live with her siblings, that's the law she agreed to in the beginning, nothing should change it.

This way, she'll think before acting wicked next time.

She's should be also ready to face her repercussions from her daughter in-law.

I really understand your point, I want her to face with the shame of what she did to her mother in law, if she has any shame

By the time the husband doesn't contribute a penny to her medicine and upkeep

She Will feel the heat
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:29am On Mar 30, 2023
sasalihu8:
Family is beyond you and your wife and your children. Women should understand that when get married to a man, they equally marry entire family. That is why the call her "Our wife" She is married to the man and his family. The earlier they know this the better. But the modern 21st century woman sees the man she marry as "My Man" - her exclusive possession and she is even territorial and defensive about it.
Lol.And who told you they don't know this? The same woman that kneels to greet her mil and every other person before she is married into the family now turns to tiger and don't want anyone. It's high time men should realise that women are not capable of showing love to anybody apart from herself.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by handsomeyitayo(m): 11:31am On Mar 30, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

ABI ooh, but here we are...OP is the definition of oponu
very funny Op ..mumuish Op
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by GistFullGround: 11:32am On Mar 30, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum.

However, as she aged, her health waned. She was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it.

Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed.

What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?

Do not succumb to any blackmail because "They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother". Your mother in-law CANNOT live with you. Your wife should arrange for someone to care for her just like you did yours.

Women are generally selfish; what is good for the goose should also be applied to the gander!
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by lucky4west: 11:38am On Mar 30, 2023
two wrongs does not make a right, forgive your wife for what she did,but her mum should stay away... if she brought up that topic at all it means she think she is smart and you were not really strong in allowing your mum leave your house because of your wife when you knew your other siblings were not around, it was loneliness that killed maale no be age or sickness...just tell your wife to get a place for the mum where the two of you can visit her....but do not be angry with her...tell her the advice you received earlier :marriage is for 2 people no room for extra except the kids
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by BRATISLAVA: 11:44am On Mar 30, 2023
Klass99:

I suspect most parents regret having children but it is not something they will ever say out loud.....for fear of harsh criticisms and judgment.

Not a suspicion—it's a fact.

It's a to-do list with emotions involved.

Because children! They can disappoint and frustrate and agonize one. But then they can flip it at any moment to become the opposite of that. It's a bitter sweet thing, like most relationships are. But I'd say the number of children who give their parents joy are few in comparison to those who don't. More make them proud than happy.

And many parents mistake that pride for happiness.

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Gloriagee(f): 11:45am On Mar 30, 2023
Im just interested. His mum sounds so nice so why will the wife not want her around. The question is not intended for you though cos everything is manipulation to the manipulative........

Justbehave:
All this manipulative questions won't help you. Just say the truth. If your husband doesn't want your people around for no reason, would you want his?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:49am On Mar 30, 2023
Gloriagee:
Im just interested. His mum sounds so nice so why will wife not want her around. The question is not intended for you though cos everything is manipulation to the manipulative........

Your question sounded so dumb. Shift abeg as if you don't know that she didn't need to be a bad mil before women like you hate.Answer my question nah. This shows you can do worst than ops wife for you to be asking such.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 11:53am On Mar 30, 2023
purples25:

Let me tell you something.

When your wife's mother comes, you are able to step out and leave her in the house and escape her if she is troublesome, right? She can't interfere in your workplace or with your leisure time, right?

As for your wife, your mom will be able to enter her back to back. How? She will poke into kitchen affairs which your wife handles. She will poke into house and kids affairs, which your wife handles also. Wherever your wife moves and whatever she does, she will watch and complain. Wives are the ones more likely to be at home - if she sees your wife using her phone, resting or otherwise, she will say she is lazy. Everything, she will chook hand. Unlike you, who will be left alone cuz you are a man.

Father in laws don't poke themselves into affairs like mother in laws do. They don't struggle for affection of their kids with the spouse like mother in laws do. How many times do you see father in laws coming to live in the house, struggling with the son to be holding the most power over their child. Never.

How does this related to the story op just told. Did he tell you that his old sick mother troubled his wife. Why r u painting mother in law's black. Aren't there daughter in laws that are demonic and evil.

This is why I never take advise from females, u lot are too sentimental. And I hope u don't find a problem if the op decides not to let his mum in law stay.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 11:53am On Mar 30, 2023
Samantha124:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pain undecided
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 11:54am On Mar 30, 2023
frozen70:

Dont be surprise if he let her in

Is not weakness and it's only God that will reward him

Quit this manipulative game.
Dont bring in God into your gender's mischief
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 11:57am On Mar 30, 2023
shantti:

Quit this manipulative game.
Dont bring in God into your gender's mischief
Don't mind her. As if op wife don't want to get rewarded by God if she allowed the old woman. Dont mind those gender,all of them na the same. Always supporting evils done by them.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 12:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
cococandy:

And those girls stay without jobs permanently? Or you marry them when they are really young so obviously haven’t built a career yet maybe provide for a few years while they build a career. But anything more than that she’s a liability bla bla bla.
a joke that has no real place in today’s society. If you doubt me ask your fellow me what they think of a dependent wife. Don’t ask me. Create a thread and ask them. That’s if you’re ready for the truth.

only on nairaland. In real life, Nigerian women are out there in the streets with the men hustling for daily living like everyone else even in pregnancy and childbirth.

Rich men are few and far between. So while that may be a desire for some people, it’s not a reality for you guys. In reality the hundreds of millions Nigerians living in poverty every single day have wives. I don’t know what to tell you if this simple FACTUAL STATEMENT is confounding you.

I hope u know why I seemed to ignore this, cos u didn't handle my point at all. U cleverly downplayed a reality even u yourself know is very glaring for the sake of arguing. When u stop being sentimental, then we can have a discussion
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 12:13pm On Mar 30, 2023
dangotesmummy:
the Bible talks about forgiveness na.wr should LEARN to forgive each other's shortcomings because as long as we're in various relationships with each other,we will offend EACH other.moreover marriage is about forgiveness again na her money she go use take care of her mama not his money, resources or time

Imagine the resentment the woman will have if he didn't allow her mother and the mother now died because of lack of care.it Will definitely affect everything pertaining to that marriage- their sex life, communication, finance etc.so the disaster unforgiveness will do is worse

Why can't she forgive him after her own mum have died. Shey marriage is all about forgiveness. This is the nonsense your gender cook up to perpetrate atrocities. Who told u the op don't already resent his wife, who told u that their sex life, communication and finance aren't already compromised by his wife's wickedness. I think the op should divorce her. She doesn't love him
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Obiorahpcfg: 12:15pm On Mar 30, 2023
You will be the worst coward i have ever seen if you agree shuuum. Let her pay someone to take care of her mum too. She is evil!!!!
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Biggers82(m): 12:16pm On Mar 30, 2023
This nonsense can happen to a man who is not man enough to control his wife and his house, who is that wife that will give my sweetish lovely mother a bad treatment when she visit my house that I do pay for ?
Well my wife can't try it nah unless she will be the one to go I so much love my mother ooo don't joke with her or we have serious problems.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by searchlight: 12:17pm On Mar 30, 2023
ojun50:
Discuss with her and remind her how she treated yr mum, then tell her to give you time to think about it.

In the end still allow her mother to come and stay for peace and unity.

Every married man should understand that the wife is not your blood so expect anything expectable but is children is his blood.
Really? Can you imagine? Remind her that marriage is between a man and a woman not between a man, a woman and her mother. Nonsense. The guys mother died that early probably because his wife deprived her that opportunity to have a good life with her son.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2023
frozen70:

Yes you are right
But my submission of the react, is centered on the children who may witness nonsense from both parents when the drama starts

But the wife should have considered the kids when she started her own nonsense. You can't use the kids as a bargaining chip in this case
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by searchlight: 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2023
EriMma1:
I would have told you to do what is in your mind but then, it wasn't the mother who offended you but your wife. Besides you had the choice to let your mother stay with you but you succumbed to your wife and let her will prevail. So don't treat the old woman badly because of her daughters sins.

Forgive and let the old woman come. After all she would be the one to do all the care job, not you.

No he's not treating the old woman bad. The daughter should get the daughter a nanny and he can also support where necessary. His wife contributed to his mother's death. If the mother had stayed with them chances are that she would still be alive today. Don't be a weakling
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2023
dangotesmummy:
the Bible talks about forgiveness na.wr should LEARN to forgive each other's shortcomings because as long as we're in various relationships with each other,we will offend EACH other.moreover marriage is about forgiveness again na her money she go use take care of her mama not his money, resources or time

A) marriage is about RULES AND REGULATIONS.... if you are telling me that we shouldnt have guests, then i dont bring guests over, but if some miraculously come over, and you are pissed off about it and ask me to throw them out, then i will because these are the family RULES AND REGULATIONS. these are the rules they had with HIS family, and therefore thats the rule they should have with HERS. you cant change the family rules when it fits your selfish agenda.

B) it was HIS money that was used to take care of his mother, and yet she was still against her being there. why should this suddenly be
different because its HER mother?!

C) funny how now suddenly people are all religious and want to talk about forgiveness. there is nothing to forgive...

Imagine the resentment the woman will have if he didn't allow her mother and the mother now died because of lack of care.it Will definitely affect everything pertaining to that marriage- their sex life, communication, finance etc.so the disaster unforgiveness will do is worse

imagine how the dude feels now that his mother is dead, after his wife refused to have her stay with them? marriage is about TWO individual, not just one. so if it was ok for husband to suffer because of the rules and regulations of the family, then let the wife go through the same suffering.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by shantti(m): 12:22pm On Mar 30, 2023
frozen70:

For the mere fact that her husband will not contribute a penny for her medication is enough for his wife to deal with

By then she will feel more emotional pains than what she did to her mother in law and it will be too late to apologize

Tarrrrr!!!
It's not enough.
He shouldn't let her being her mum into the house.
Marriage is between man and wife, no third party, remember?
Do u think men are fools u can manipulate as u wish

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (33) (Reply)

Female Lawyer Cries Out After Husband Chased Her With Cutlass (photo) / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse / I Am Getting Tired Of My Long Distance Marriage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.