Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,155 members, 7,845,809 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (348426 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by const6(m): 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2008
@all

Is there anybody that has a DSTV Decoder only (preferably) or with card sha, that wants to sell it?

If yes, either drop a message here or call me on 01-8165873 or 08050989962 for urgent purchase.

Competitive price o.

Thanks, hoping i will get here.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Novice1(m): 10:30pm On Feb 15, 2008
to all,
I have some questions for our fta gurus pls.
1. I was in the middle east last yr and happpened to watch alot of channels on hotbird there. back here in naija, i could not tune to hotbird. I use a 1.8m dish with strong decoder
2. tried getting an upgrade to a AGI AGR5200D decoder from their website but was unsuccesful. what can be done pls?

Peace to all
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mecussey(m): 4:20pm On Feb 16, 2008
Update and upgrade are ready for ur strong decoder, check out on www.ftaafrica..com/
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kay99: 10:24pm On Feb 16, 2008
Hi mecussey, just checked , no Nollywood yet. Am I doing anything wrong?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 10:54pm On Feb 17, 2008
@Novice1

Hotbird is more or less impossible for most people in Nigeria.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by badaru1(m): 5:58am On Feb 18, 2008
Am getting hotbird in my place, I ve about 400 cannels 4 now.The signal is not that strong. I can only watch most of the stations in the evening with 2.4m dish. The best frequency is 10949v 27500. The strenght is about 60 in the evening.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by fadinus(m): 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2008
About the mytv software patch, i tried it, but it did not work, it kept saying that i should connect my stb and turn it on. help me anyone who has succided in doing his.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 7:21pm On Feb 18, 2008
pls can anyone tell me if one can get eutelsat w3a in lagos,signal quality and size of dish to be used.thanks,pls do reply.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ejike3: 7:35pm On Feb 18, 2008
Eutelsat w3a could be recieved in Lagos, but the signal is bw 65%. 90cm did it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 8:35pm On Feb 18, 2008
what position will the dish face on eutelsat w3a.same location has mytv or dstv,hitv?.pls do reply.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by BANKY77NG(m): 7:14am On Feb 19, 2008
Have been reading all along all these days you guys are doing a good job, HITV has 16 channels now combined with trend tv 5 channels makes it 21 , , const claims he can view DSTV channels on the HITV decoder, he he seeing the channells as scrambled or as Unscrambled , please clarify because some of us will like to enjoy s providers on same decoder .

@ there is this HITV staff on these forum I have forgotten your name but i like to tell you that what peiople need now is a movie channel even if its MGM or something , make una try

I am aware one can by MYTV smart cards from thier dealers , its N2100 but how can one get DSTV smartcard

Guy see ya
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by const6(m): 9:26am On Feb 19, 2008
@banky77ng

You can what DSTV channels with any kind of HITV decorder (cos i have the latest), be it the first set or latest ones.

They all can read DSTV Irdeto card, i have friends that now use it and i personally use it.

The only reason i am scared using both card on one decoder is the fact that with time, the decoder might have a problem because i am removing and re-inserting the two cards, that is the reason i am looking for a DSTV decorder to buy so then i will only use AV 1 and AV2.

You can buy MYTV card from any of their Dealer for N2000 - N2100 and as for DSTV card i called them last week and the Customer care Officer said i could buy the card from their VI office or some of their dealers for N10,000
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by const6(m): 12:08pm On Feb 19, 2008
@all

I need to know if there is anybody here that still/uses DSTV Pace DVR500 decorder for KU Band.

I just got it with the card from somebody selling (i have already paid) it and i called DSTV customer care and they told me i can use it with KU Band but i want to ask and make sure i am not throwing away my money.

Please reply fast o
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ejike3: 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
urfriend:

what position will the dish face on eutelsat w3a.same location has mytv or dstv,hitv?.please do reply.

Eutelsat W3A is at 7 degrees East, if you are in lagos , the Elevation should be 81 degrees, while Azimuth should be 149 degrees.

i.e
Position : 7 degrees East
Elevation : 81 degrees
Azimuth : 149 degrees.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 7:19pm On Feb 19, 2008
hi,pls does eutelsat w3a face the same direction with hitv?.were is 7 degrees east.pls do reply.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 8:07pm On Feb 19, 2008
Use the link to work out where dish for 7e should face: www.dishpointer.com

Type in ur location and the satellite you want then click "Go"
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 10:55am On Feb 20, 2008
@ urfriend
eutelw3a is possible wth 90cm dish in naija but it is not easy.i dont want to get u confuse with elevation,azumuth an the rest cos i knew u ll not understand.
this wot u do face ur dish as if u re facing haven but the direction will not face east but as if u re going north use mytv position as ur compass while standing on mytv position spread ur hand go right go almost 90 degree right track with this freq 10976h/03333.track with patient u ll get it.
@ all
while installing 90cm dishes know this fact 68.5 is not in the same direction(azmuth) with dstv 36 degree like wise eutelw3a.dont just say east or west with ur compass cos 7 degree w3a is not exactly east likewise nilsat 7 degree in west.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by darznets(m): 12:09pm On Feb 20, 2008
Hello People, can anyone tell me if I can get Eutelsat W3A in Lagos, if yes, how do i go about it, in term if the type of decoder and dish size as well as the band , C or KU band.
I also want to know the direction should be facing.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2008
hi, pls can anyone give us a real pic. on now eutelsat w3a faces.pls.thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 6:08pm On Feb 20, 2008
Hello guys! I came across this site/thread in my quest to find/buy the best set-top box (receiver) for Satellite reception in Nigeria.   I've read all 20 pages of this FTA stuff and I must say it brings big grin on my face. First, I must thank “biggjoe” for starting this FTA thread. But where did he disappear to after opening this great thread?  I have been enjoying FTA channels and the associated (wuru wuru or Akpruka) channels here in the USA for sometime now, and I must say I love it. FTA is a hubby and you must research and learn as you go along. You must be willing to fore-go that hot garri and bitter leaf egusi soap, laced with okporoko, snails, periwinkles and the 24 Volts of Odeku to wash it down on most days in order to grab a channel signal off a satellite from space.  smiley But, what I’m seeing here is that almost 85% of those in this FTA forum are not willing to learn, they just want answers, but not willing to do the dirty work. Also some of the answers are kind of vague and this makes it hard for beginners (a newbie) to understand what is going on. For instance, people are asked to face west or east and just keep moving the dish up/down and side ways. This mode of instruction could make a novice believe that  all you have to do is point your dish and all is well. For installations; there should be full mention of Satellite location, LNB type (C-band, Circular or Linear) Polarity, Receiver settings, Diseq-C settings if installing more than one satellite, lenght of cables, grounding, etc. I must say thanks to Enigma, Pitodenz, Chidexy, Twinstaiye, and a host of others. I will contribute more as the days go by. Meanwhile, this hobby is like maths, if you don’t practice, you won’t learn! So give it you best, then ask questions and things will begin to make sense.

Below is an example of my ViewSat Receiver Setup used in the USA for 119°W and 97°W. You can use this as a template when asking receiver questions. smiley

EchoStar 7 - 119. ECHO 7
LNB Power------ON
LNB Type-------Standard For dish pro set to OCS
LNB Freq-----------11250
22kHz-------------Off unless you have a 22kHz switch turn on.
TP Freq----------12339
Search option-----All
DiSEqC 1.0------Port 1
Motor--------------Off
Legacy SW------None

Galaxy 25 - 97°W
LNB Power------ON
LNB Type-------Standard
LNB Freq-----------10750
22kHz------------- on.
TP Freq----------11966
Search option-----All
DiSEqC 1.0------Port 2
Motor--------------Off
Legacy SW------None
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 6:19pm On Feb 20, 2008
@ urfriend;
Showing you a picture of where your dish will point may not be of help to you if you do not know or indicate where you are located. First, start by telling us your location, Type of dish you'll be or are currently using. There are many tools on here to help you locate your longitude and latitude, Azimuth and Elevation. Use them or at least try. You'll not regret trying. smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kay99: 7:48pm On Feb 20, 2008
Any news about Nollywood on trendtv , mecussey we await any , just any response from you
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 12:50am On Feb 21, 2008
@F_Marshall

Welcome, always good to have another knowledgeable person on board.

@Urfriend

Your question has been answered before: however, you can at least try the simple thing of going to www.dishpointer.com and type in the info as recommended in post no 624 above; it will even show you which direction roughly to point your dish; crucially what scale on the dish to set the elevation to!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 3:23am On Feb 21, 2008
Hi great guys,
Has anyone come across a dish mover for 90cm dish in Nigeria?
I have seen it on the internet and i am looking forward to have 1 or 2.
Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ejike3: 11:00am On Feb 21, 2008
bodejohn:

Hi great guys,
Has anyone come across a dish mover for 90cm dish in Nigeria?
I have seen it on the internet and i am looking forward to have 1 or 2.
Thanks

It's going to reduce the number of dishes and make our roof top to look neat.
Can you show the picture or better still post the site.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by guruofsat(m): 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2008
STRONG STR SERIES MASTER PASSWORD CODE.hey great starz,if you forgot you Reciever password,just contact me,i will unlock it for you just simple
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 12:25am On Feb 22, 2008
Ejike3:

It's going to reduce the number of dishes and make our roof top to look neat.
Can you show the picture or better still post the site.

Here is the link: http://www.satmancanada.com/SG2100.htm
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by vickoy23: 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2008
Hi great nairalanders,

this post is getting more intresting by the day but for those who started it, we would not have the opportunity of getting so much knowledge.

@F_Marshal

great we have knowledgeable ple in the house who could put us thru. pple like u. it would be nice to let u know that 98% of the members of this forum knows next to nothing about about satellite and fta before joining this thread but has learnt so much from this thread that they can pass for proffessionals. call us half baked we no go quarell with u if at the end of the day we fit get to watch the channel ( grin). by the way u sound either the local food wey u carry go obodo oyinbo u never finish am or u dey use all ur money buy am over there. I hear say the things wey u mention cost no be small for yonder. u dey miss 9ja no be small.

@ pitodenz

that eutelsat w3a is so difficult to get I am almost giving up but I tink I will give it another shot this week end following ur instructions. will let u no how it comes out. wish me luck. I actually went to get another dish (the first DSTV set they sold) it is bigger than what these alaba boys sell to us in the name of 90 cm. when I measured it diagonally, the width is 90cm and the height is 100cm so I dont know if to call it a 90cm dish or 100cm dish. but whatever, i would be trying out w3a with it this weekend.

@ bodejohn

It would be gr8 if we get a seller for the motor in 9ja. I saw the pics and the tech detail. that is cool. lets hope the alaba biz men would import it asap.

@ everyone

u dont need to add another lnb to the hitv lnb u are already on 36ºE and that is where trend is. just add the frequency 11747 polarity H and symbol rate 27500 to ur receiver under the eutelsat w4 PID shikenna. scan the freq. and u r there. Dem never add nollywood and all those stations dem promise sha.

I equally spoke with trent customer care and from his words, it is obvious that it will not remain FTA forever. Bad news though is that they would not sell their smart card to anyone who does not buy their receiver. le us hope they would be smart enough to sell their card just like MYTV because I dont see pple throwing away their receiver because they want to watch trend. they should rather let pple who has their universal receiver to be able to subscribe. anyway dem still never talk officially sha so make we no assume yet. who knows, it might be fta for life.

this pple neva get clients for their satellite. RASCOM1. just like NIGCOMSAT1. We hope sa african mentality no go kill the satellite.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 6:18pm On Feb 22, 2008
@ F_Marshal

great we have knowledgeable ple in the house who could put us through. people like u. it would be nice to let u know that 98% of the members of this forum knows next to nothing about about satellite and fta before joining this thread but has learnt so much from this thread that they can pass for proffessionals. call us half baked we no go quarell with u if at the end of the day we fit get to watch the channel ( ). by the way u sound either the local food wey u carry go obodo oyinbo u never finish am or u dey use all your money buy am over there. I hear say the things wey u mention cost no be small for yonder. u dey miss Nigeria no be small.

@vickoy23: 
It is true that majority of people start-off knowing nothing (b.t.w, that includes me) about FTA, but what is important is for one to learn as they go along.  My concern is for those that just look only for answers, and in some cases, even ignore the answers and tips given to them regarding problem resolutions. If you read through this thread, you would note; that some individuals ask the same questions over without actually taking time to read the answers already provided. Some just want get a channel without caring to know other technical aspects involved. For one to be proficient in this hubby, you have to understand how things work, starting from the Dish size, LNB, Switches, Cables, receivers and of course satellite/Dish positioning.

Ol'boy, I tell u. Buying the Naija foods and de this and that wey follo am don krep mai headi o!  embarassed Even sef, if I no chop Farina (garri) with serious soup for hia, na so so headache na me dey get na so! embarassed I love Naija food bro! grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by odaboy: 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2008
hi guys ,does it mean that if u dont know tha azimuth of your town u wont be able to fix a dish.
i live in ghana and in the eastern part of the country and i want to know the azimuth of my town .
how do i do it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by LSBLeaky(m): 9:48pm On Feb 24, 2008
I want to know the code to unscramble G prime, and I would like anybody with the Latest Hitv decorder software update to send them to my e-mail.[email][/email] lk_yaroo@yahoo.com
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 10:19pm On Feb 24, 2008
odaboy:

hi guys ,does it mean that if u don't know tha azimuth of your town u wont be able to fix a dish.
i live in ghana and in the eastern part of the country and i want to know the azimuth of my town .
how do i do it.

www.dishpointer.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.