Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,026 members, 7,845,326 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (348416 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 10:56am On Feb 25, 2008
@ all
i think this eutelw3a is giving a lot of us problem.here is another tip; go to any DEEPER LIFE CHURCH if u re lucky u ll find a dish install in their church premises,then if u re a chap guy memorize the position and the direction of the dish if u re not still ask them of an installer.
N.B. Deeper Life churches use to hook up their program in eutelw3a i dont think they ve any particular frequency so dont ask me their frequency they change freq any time they want to air their program.
plz am not a Deeper Life member am only giving u guys a tip off.if they can get w3a anybody can also do that.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 11:22am On Feb 25, 2008
@ guruofsat
bro,if u ve an information u dont want to disclose plz u better dont post about it here.
@ all
this forum is not an avenue of making money this is where we share our exprience and knowledge so if u ve any info plz just share it if u cant dont post it or start giving out ur fone number.we ve real gurus like enigma and so many others yet they share any piece of info they lay hand on.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by darznets(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2008
hello All, Please I will like to know on which satellite and what frequencies can i get Setanta Sports channel? Eargerly waiting for response plsss
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Novice1(m): 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2008
@ enigma & other FTA gurus around,

thankx for all d information. u r doing a grt job here. It is my guess that in the next few yrs dstv & co will be out of business.
kindly give me a layman cheesy interpretation of the following fta concepts:

-Frequency
-Symbol rate
-polarity
-beam
-discEq
and other relevant terminologies.

Peace to all
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 25, 2008
@ novice 1,

i can really see by the meaning of your name.

Novice1:

@ enigma & other FTA gurus around,

thankx for all d information. you're doing a grt job here. It is my guess that in the next few years dstv & co will be out of business.
kindly give me a layman cheesy interpretation of the following fta concepts:

-Frequency
-Symbol rate
-polarity
-beam
-discEq
and other relevant terminologies.

Peace to all

why not try to google that up, and search from the beggining of this FTA thread, you will learn much.

@ ALL,

I GUYS, SO SORRY HAVE BEEN AWAY FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOW, JUST WANT TO TELL YOU ALL ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN CALLING ME NEEDING MY HELP THAT I'M AROUND FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. 4 WEEKS TO BE PRECISE.

THANKS ALL, I WILL BE EXPECTING YOUR CALL.

IT'S ALIVE
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 25, 2008
i GUYS,

I have something quite important to discuss and i dont really know if this will be the proper channel to do that.
It's about the NSS7 satellite, I made some personal research and i thought i should let my people here know. For the few weeks i have been away, i was back in school, but still yet i continue with my research. I htink if given some time i can get to provide you guys here in Nigeria the access to watch live premiership/ FAcup/Carling cup matches including serie A, La liga etc. on the nss7 satellite stations at ridiculous cheaper rates.

The reason is that, my school is at a border town close to benin republic and i have been making effort to get a contact there to help me with the provision of the cards, but am sure if given some time before the middle of the year i can get a contact.

But there's always a 'but' associated with this kind of proposal. Based on the knowledge i have about users of satellite packages here on nairaland forum, i can say majority are using strong decoders and the series is either 4651,4652 or 4653X, if am right by my guess. And the kind of encryption employed by nss7 is SECA/MEDIAGUARD both mean the same thing, and these series of decoders i mentioned above are conax embedded, i dont really know if anyone have experimented them on SECA encrpyted channels, if so i will be very glad if the person can open up or if thee is anything one can do to enabled those series to be patched to be able to work with conax and SECA.

If that can be done i guess we are all just a step away in dishing out hitv and dstv away totally.

Opinions on this strategy of mine is welcome by me, feel free to post and dont feel dejected me talking about subscription under a free-to-air scetion.
And remeber that good soup, na money cook am ooooooo. But the money here is not as much as that of dstv or hitv.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 6:19pm On Feb 25, 2008
@Enitan & Pitodenz

How now? Nice to read from you.

@Enitan

Someone (I think const6) said that HiTV receivers can also accept Irdeto (DSTV) cards; either they are Conax and Irdeto embedded or multikrypt; I hope someone who has one can let us know. If you can, couls you say roughly how much cards/subscription cost(s) for Canalsat on NSS 7?

@Novice1

Read this link for general info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_television

And also do general googling as Enitan suggested; after that we can try and clarify things that remain unclear as far as is known/possible.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 6:37pm On Feb 25, 2008
@Novice1 and All

I have just found a very useful website that contains explanations of various terms:

http://www.tech-faq.com/symbol-rate.shtml Look on the right of the page and scroll down for a list of terms explained.

However, let me say that even without knowing all of these things in any detail you can still install a dish and master your receiver --- though the more you know the easier things will be.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 6:51pm On Feb 25, 2008
hi,i was able to receive eutelsat w3.if u want to get the service,pls track the signal with a tv set in front of u when tracking.the dish faces up to heven.i got 55% signal quality on freq. 12728 h 30000.it's 7 degrees east.use nothing less than 90cm dish,because the bigger the dish the better the signal.goodluck,
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 5:37am On Feb 26, 2008
@ urfriend.

i know one can track eutelsat w3a at 7 E, but it will be very difficult to achieve cos the least size of dish you can use is 90cm, and most ku-dish they sell for us here in nigeria are not really up to 90cm, so if one is to use that one will have to wait 'till his kingdom comes' before you get any signal.
The least signal strength required for a clear picture starts from 38%, i can say with 54% the signal is still ok.

But based on my findings, i cant seem to find any good stations there. The mistake most people are making on that satellite package is the MBC1 and MBC2. I am saying this now that the MBC1 & 2 you guys can see on eutelsat w3a on 7E is Mauritius Broadcast Crporation, not the same arab MBC. Dont make that mistake.

NSS7 for now is still the best for free-to-air on ku-band in the whole of west africa.

@ enigma,

i will still be waiting for someone who can help me out based on the issues i pointed out in my earlier post. About the price of the canalsat horizons card, i dont think we have a problem about that,90% of us here will be able to afford it, but first thing is me getting a contact at benin rep, before me travelling down there for the purchase of the cards, but the purchase depends on the desire people on this forum show towards that. If the desire is low then i'm going to there for personal reasons.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Novice1(m): 4:33pm On Feb 26, 2008
Enigma:

@Novice1

Read this link for general info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_television

And also do general googling as Enitan suggested; after that we can try and clarify things that remain unclear as far as is known/possible.

Thanks
found very useful information there
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by VICTOFX(m): 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2008
hi i just want to know if any one knows how to configure a vhs player to serve as a decoder, and all other things needed to do this. cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by VICTOFX(m): 6:44pm On Feb 26, 2008
i also will want to know the details of how to do it. cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 7:16pm On Feb 26, 2008
hi,to get eutelsat w3a,use a strong 90cm dish.over the next 18months more betta channels will be on that satellite 4 free.right now msnbc,an american news channels is on that satellite[www.msnbc.com].
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by odaboy: 8:06pm On Feb 26, 2008
hi guys thanks for the good work u are going.
how can u set the elevation and azimuth of the satellite on the dish.
are the angles written on the dish.
i wan tto know more.
i website that can teach me more will do.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 9:23pm On Feb 26, 2008
Hi again

As for elevation, you are right that it is written on most dishes. If you look carefully at where the dish is joined by the mounting clamp at the back you should see figures from 0 to maybe 100 or so. Thus if the elevation for a particular satellite at your location is 60, then you adjust the setting at the back of the dish till it is pointed at 60.

Please note that setting the elevation thus should get you close to the satellite but is not always 100%; therefore you may need to adjust it a little around the given elevation figure of e.g. 60.

Azimuth is trickier - because strictly speaking you need a compass to work it out or a protractor from 'Maths sets'!

To be honest, I don't generally ask people to look for or work out or use azimuth. The reason is this: what you need to know principally is the general direction where the satellite is and where your dish should face. If the satellite is at the eastern position, you know that roughly your dish should be facing the position where the sun rises or if western, roughly where the sun sets.

If you have the elevation correct, and you are willing to be patient to move your dish very very very slowly, you will hit the right azimuth once searching in the right area roughly. Say you are trying to get DSTV/HITV --- both of these are at 36e; say you are in Ikeja; www.dishpointer.com will tell you that for 36e and in Ikeja, the elevation is 51.3 and azimuth is 100.2/103.6. The most important thing is to set the elevation on your dish; then look at where DSTV dishes in your area are pointing; then point your dish in that direction and start turning it very very very slowly either in the left direction or right direction till you get a signal.

Note: it will be very helpful if you have a small TV nearby connected to your dish and your receiver: then on your receiver you select a strong transponder (frequency) e.g. you select one of the Trend TV transponder/frequency which is 11747 H (Horizontal) SR (symbol rate) 27500.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by gabng(m): 10:57pm On Feb 26, 2008
Hey Guys,
It took me 4 Hours to read this entire thread from page 1 to the end. I am now enlightened.

I just Bought a STRONG SRT 4653x Digital Receiver. and will be getting the LNB and the 90cm Dish with mountings (what is the the present cost for both of them) before the end of the week.

I want the guru's here to advise me on which sattelitte with the best of channels i should point my dish to I would love a mixture of movie, sport and documentary channels.

Lastly, How much should be the highest i should pay to an installer to get this done (since its my first time(will get a note book to study the whole process like its an Exam)).

I live in Apapa, Lagos, South West Nigeria
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 2:35pm On Feb 27, 2008
Some FTA Stations not difficult to receive in Nigeria

Note:

1. Things change frequently in FTA TV and this info will not always be totally correct
2. The info below is very selective; there are other stations not mentioned mostly because they might be more difficult to get e.g. if a big dish is needed (thus FTA stations on satellites like Nilesat, Hispasat etc are not included)
3. The list only mentions FTA stations on the Ku Band (no C Band Stations included)
4. Consult places like www.lyngsat.com, www.flysat.com and www.kingofsat.net for more info.

A. NSS7 at 22W

1. TV Monde Afrique 10986 V 30000
2. France 24 (Francais) 11051 V 30000
3. LC2 Int’l -do-
4. Direct 8 11551 V 30000
5. Equinoxe TV 11606 V 3307
6. STV 1 (Cameroon) 11611 V 4070
7. STV 2 -do- -do-
8. RTG 1 11617 V 4340
9. RDV 11625 V 3334
10. Canal 2 Int’l 11631 V 3559
11. Ghana TV 11635 V 2855

B. Eutelsat W3A at 7E

1. TV Malagasy 10976 H 3333
2. Ariane TV 11063 H 27500
3. Go Africa 11105 H 3800
4. MBC 1 (Mauritius) 11190 H 3210
5. MBC 2 -do- -do-
6. Direct 8 12728 H 30000
7. 2STV -do-
8. MTA Int’l -do-
9. MSNBC Africa -do-
10. RTS 1 Senegal -do-

C. Intelsat 7/10 at 68.5E (Same as MyTV)

1. NTA Plus 12522 H 26657
2. France 24 English -do-
3. BEN 12562 H 26657
4. Press TV -do-
5&6 (2 Religion Channels) 12575 V 3378
7. Tourism & Trade 12682 H 26657
8-19 (11 Religion Chnls) -do-
20. CNBC Africa 12722 V 26657
21. SABC News Int’l -do-
22. ETV (not strictly FTA) -do-
23. (5 Religion Chnls) -do-

D. Eutelsat W4 at 36E (Same as DSTV & HITV)

1. France 24 English 11747 H 27500
2. Fashion TV Europe -do-
3. F Men -do-
4. EWTN Africa & India -do-
5. Luxe TV UK -do-
6. DSTV Shuffle Update 12437 H 23438

E. Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West

1. Nollywood 11661 H 7053
2. EWTN Africa & India -do-
3. MBI Africa -do-
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by martinlala(m): 6:36pm On Feb 27, 2008
please can you help with C band too
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 7:58pm On Feb 27, 2008
@ Enigma. You've done a great job listing those "True" FTA channels and Birds bro!

@
martinlala:

please can you help with C band too

Go to these sites listed by Enigma below, look in the C-band section you will get your answers. Try it.

4.   Consult places like www.lyngsat.com, www.flysat.com and www.kingofsat.net for more info.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 10:18pm On Feb 27, 2008
Enigma:

Some FTA Stations not difficult to receive in Nigeria

Note:

1. Things change frequently in FTA TV and this info will not always be totally correct
2. The info below is very selective; there are other stations not mentioned mostly because they might be more difficult to get e.g. if a big dish is needed (thus FTA stations on satellites like Nilesat, Hispasat etc are not included)
3. The list only mentions FTA stations on the Ku Band (no C Band Stations included)
4. Consult places like www.lyngsat.com, www.flysat.com and www.kingofsat.net for more info.

A. NSS7 at 22W

1. TV Monde Afrique 10986 V 30000
2. France 24 (Francais) 11051 V 30000
3. LC2 Int’l -do-
4. Direct 8 11551 V 30000
5. Equinoxe TV 11606 V 3307
6. STV 1 (Cameroon) 11611 V 4070
7. STV 2 -do- -do-
8. RTG 1 11617 V 4340
9. RDV 11625 V 3334
10. Canal 2 Int’l 11631 V 3559
11. Ghana TV 11635 V 2855

B. Eutelsat W3A at 7E

1. TV Malagasy 10976 H 3333
2. Ariane TV 11063 H 27500
3. Go Africa 11105 H 3800
4. MBC 1 (Mauritius) 11190 H 3210
5. MBC 2 -do- -do-
6. Direct 8 12728 H 30000
7. 2STV -do-
8. MTA Int’l -do-
9. MSNBC Africa -do-
10. RTS 1 Senegal -do-

C. Intelsat 7/10 at 68.5E (Same as MyTV)

1. NTA Plus 12522 H 26657
2. France 24 English -do-
3. BEN 12562 H 26657
4. Press TV -do-
5&6 (2 Religion Channels) 12575 V 3378
7. Tourism & Trade 12682 H 26657
8-19 (11 Religion Chnls) -do-
20. CNBC Africa 12722 V 26657
21. SABC News Int’l -do-
22. ETV (not strictly FTA) -do-
23. (5 Religion Chnls) -do-

D. Eutelsat W4 at 36E (Same as DSTV & HITV)

1. France 24 English 11747 H 27500
2. Fashion TV Europe -do-
3. F Men -do-
4. EWTN Africa & India -do-
5. Luxe TV UK -do-
6. DSTV Shuffle Update 12437 H 23438

E. Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West

1. Nollywood 11661 H 7053
2. EWTN Africa & India -do-
3. MBI Africa -do-

Just like enigma said these channels are not permanent
For example all the channels he listed on Intelsat 907 are no longer available
RTG 1 (No 8 on NSS 22W) is no longer free and of resent NTA plus on Pas 10 has been encrypted.

Enigma have you seen a 90cm dish mover before, do kindly reply please.
Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 11:21pm On Feb 27, 2008
@bodejohn

Yes I know the "dish mover" well; I actually have one. I saw your question much earlier on whether you can get it in Nigeria: I'm not really sure because the Naija installers use a 'jack' for the bigger dishes.

If you want more info about the "dish mover", the correct titles are: 'Diseqc Motor' or 'Horizon to Horizon Motor' or 'H to H motor' or 'USALS motor' -- if you google any of that you will get info. It doesn't look like I will visit Naija for Easter else I might have said we can come to arrangement for me to buy one and bring down for you.

The better models include the Technomate 2200, the Moteck SG 2100, Dark Motor, Geotrack Motor etc.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 11:42am On Feb 28, 2008
i think i ve see 90cm mover here in portharcort but io wasnt interested cos the price can buy me 3 complete 90cm dishes so i dont see the need.
@ enigma
u re doing a great job here brother,someone like me has a great experience in satellite world but i cant experience things the way u do.keep it up brother.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 7:07pm On Feb 28, 2008
In setting up a linear Satellite in Nigeria, what type of LNB and the L/O  (local oscillation) to be used? For example, In USA, I use a Standard Linear LNB, and L/O or LNB frequency of 10750. Can one also use a Universal LNB with L/O of 10600 in Nigeria?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ejike3: 8:24pm On Feb 28, 2008
Nollywood is now on. They started on monday by 7.38
If you are on the right satellite, rescan.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 10:10am On Feb 29, 2008
Hi guys,

NTA Plus' is now encrypted in Conax on 12522H, for those who's NTA plus channel has not been showing for days now. So is no longer a free service, though I really wonder what it is that they re showing, to warrant encryption.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 1:51pm On Feb 29, 2008
Thanks Enigma,
I was hoping i could get it through you or any other person here.

New channels are up now
There is Wonderful Tv on Pas 10
Tv Malawi on Nss 7
And i am also confirming that Nollywood Tv is up now on Eutelsat W4.

I think very soon we will have people here who would will list fta as part of their hobbies.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by salam12(m): 3:33pm On Feb 29, 2008
Thank you to all the experts on this thread that have contributed greatly to this topic. It has really enlightening my knowledge in FTA. I got all the necessary gears over the weekend and was able to track NSS7. For those living in PH, go to Ilabuchi to get your materials. You'll find everything at reletively cheaper rate there.
Guys what are the limitation of mesh type 1.8m dish in PH area in terms of channels and satellite that could be tracked.

Thank you once more.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 3:55pm On Feb 29, 2008
@ bodejohn
if the tv malawi u re talking about in nss7ku is 11672H/2790 then the beam goes to south africa only.where re u located?
@ all
please everybody should update his profile so that we can know ur location is very important.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 4:19pm On Feb 29, 2008
pitodenz:

@ bodejohn
if the tv malawi u re talking about in nss7ku is 11672H/2790 then the beam goes to south africa only.where re u located?
@ all
please everybody should update his profile so that we can know your location is very important.

I am in Ibadan.
I am as suprised as you are to see TV Malawi.
I got it just this morning.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 5:45pm On Feb 29, 2008
@Salam

Pitodenz is your man; he is also based in PH.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by salam12(m): 8:30pm On Feb 29, 2008
Enigma:

@Salam

Pitodenz is your man; he is also based in PH.

Thank you Enigma.

Pitodenz, as a PH man I would like to tap from ur wealth of experience. What are the limitations of 1.8 m dish in PH in terms of satellite that could be tracked and available channels that could be viewed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.