Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,157 members, 7,849,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:17 AM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (348529 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by dvbguy: 6:16pm On Jun 16, 2008
@all

there sure way to hide secrets from "lazy folks" in this era is in websites. I can't believe that people do have access to the WWW and still want to be spoon fed shocked.

It is quite different when u need practical help to maybe install or point a dish at a satellite. But these 'newbie business' of failing to read the threads from the very beginning sure does retards progress and can be annoying! lipsrsealed

Anybody hearing me! Can we have a rule that says no questions asked until you have read through all the threads and probably 'googled' those things that u can't understand befor yelling out for HELP! dudesss,  cheesy

LET US make some concrete progress with these FTA thing.

What do u GUYS know about FISHING with satellites? grin.

Well after waiting for the free2view fiasco,  i decide i was going to use my setup on W3A for FISHING aka in other arenas, data Grabbing. it turns out there is a lot of SMUT (Bleep) on those links which for me is a disappointment. I need more entertaining 'loot' so i will be looking at other birds when i do make the time and probable fabricate a 3m dish for that Nilesat of a bird.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 10:23pm On Jun 16, 2008
I cannot believe my eyes when I returned to this thread.

I never knew it would grow this long, 36 pages and counting! Naive me! Tot I was the only one who love TV. 
I really have to thank twinstaye, enigma etc for all the good work they have been doing with this thread.

Dont know where to start apologizing  for not coming back to my own thread for so long.
Its just that I was very busy trying to be the man I am now. (Dont ask who I am now because its boring)

The hobby of FTA is getting more interesting now as equipment prices are going down everyday. I laughed when I looked at the prices I gave for them at the begining of the thread. Everything has gone down. Now one can afford to buy as many dishes as they wish and face them wherever, thats if your landlord wont freak grin grin.

I am back to this thread.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by benzion72(m): 8:05am On Jun 17, 2008
While indolent is a curse to any culture your recomendation to start to read the whole post of more than a hundred people with various response is cumbersome unwholesome and time wasting. If you have any useful information you can let me know thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by dvbguy: 9:43am On Jun 17, 2008
@benzion72

"While indolent is a curse to any culture your recomendation to start to read the whole post of more than a hundred people with various response is cumbersome unwholesome and time wasting."

honestly i don't know what to say to that shocked! is this a FAQ thread? cheesy let me give you an example of how i learn or let's say gather information from the net. if there is something i don't know i google it. and if by chance it pops up in a forum, i make it a point to read the thread from scratch until i get to the point where i think i have learnt enough and probably sieved through the chaff for the genuine stuff.

now to know what u can receive and what u can't depends on two things:

1. Geographical Location (the satellite beam coverage is our concern in this regard)
2. The size of the dish equipment in relation to the frequency u're after ie. the C or KU band.

this is where u google to know the basic differences between the C and Ku bands and then find out what u can really receive in our region. Literally there is a slim chance of receiving most satellite but that depends on how BIG UR BUDGET is.

there is a link in one of threads which points to a BLOG about the satellites with coverage within our region, i don't remeber the exact thread but it is in there somewhere so i guess the ball is in ur court. wink

one more thing, this is a FTA thread, so i guess there must be a thread for the Pay stuff as well. if u really ain't interested in FTA then i would advise u to get DSTV they have no real competition for now and u will surely get a lot of these channels we are picking up on the various satellites with different dishes with just one DISH. i guess that is a real life saver for the Non-DIYer.

So pls call ur local DSTV office if u want subscription stuff, maybe a forum member with knowledge in that regard might respond. smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 10:09am On Jun 17, 2008
@all

Thank you all for your concern abt my sexy thing, i know the risk while buying the stuff, and i know CTL are getting ready for the kill in Ibadan, they have a new decoder in town with card and card slots. So i see they are cooking something up soon , but i think i'll give them the next 3 months to get tit together, they have time limit from the broadcasting board or something. Who cares its free for now grin grin grin. That why i thinking you guys shld know ,

Its a pity am not a landlord in my house , this nilesat of a thing is my next stop. I have 2 dish up W3a and pas 7/10. 1.8 dish + bracket + motor is 16k here in Ib. And a 2.4dish motor and bracket is 24k in Ib. but both net type. Which means no Nilesat, thats the only thing keeping me from setting up another dish . Am on the look out for a 3m dish fibre or pan ( which will work , not best cool cool ). Anybody who have idea on where i can get in Ibadan shld pls post here information ( might be handy for someone else).

Thank you all , got all information meant for me , i now know a "ground mount". cheesy cheesy cheesy

Am allover the net trying to find new stuffs , will keep you all informed.

"no food for lazy man", i dont know why anyone that really want to learn cant read the whole posts from the start. It helps you understand more what you are getting into, common guys read and join the happy family

Thank you all , am here and happy to help anyone out ,

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by benzion72(m): 10:49am On Jun 17, 2008
I want to personally thank you all for the various advise especially dvbguy for your information.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 11:45am On Jun 17, 2008
@benziom,
unless you love paying for everything, you can as well get yourself a new dish (90CM) and still use the same decoder to receive some channels from Eutelsatw4 (the same that transmits DSTV signal). Trend communications is currently transmitting channels like nollywood movies, foxnews, trendseries and others there.

Its likely though they will encrypt it soon but theres always a new position for your dish. It wont waste.

However, I advise you get 90cm rather than 60cm dish. People prefer 60cm dish without knowing that it has its own shortcomings. Rain is the most prominent for all KU signals but its worse with 60cm dish. Even darkness can have its own bad effect on a 60cm dish if the pointing is not sharp enough.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 12:33pm On Jun 17, 2008
@biggjoe

What a great pleasure to see the brain behind this thread come back to life.
You sure did induct many fta lovers.
If you do not mind i will like to call you baba fta if you will not one day become baba a, dibu

@benzion72

When i joined this thread i gained alot without asking any question because i read through the whole
of the responses. There are more detailed explanation and pictures from responses of fellow
nairalanders on this forum than any other site/forum on the internet. These detailed responses you might
not get again if you ask the same questions. Your best bet is to read the thread, you have your questions,
it's easier to find the answer in the thread.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 12:47pm On Jun 17, 2008
@ bodejohn,
baba a,dibu?!! Abeg oo.

You are right about people not reading.

Reading is the key, people. Not just forum posts, reading anything at all.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by obijack: 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2008
hi bigjoe
how are u.

Thank you very much for this thread. because of this this thread, I was inspired to get my own decoder and dish and believe me its been fun for me and my family ever since.

Thank you.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 2:08pm On Jun 17, 2008
@ bigjoe
welcome back the patron of this thread

@ all
so so sorry for been absent for so long u see,as ctl shutdown their analogue transmitting in ph people like me cannot get 1hr on their own.
so many things in this sat world so many exprience i ve acquired and so many more to come.
but the truth still base in nilesat.anyone hoping to get nilesat in southern nigeria should go for at least 3.5m if not 4m dish self.and that is a very big problem for us in south.this dishes re very massive that u ll get discouraged when u see them.we still ve a major problem in the south so lets pray that nilesat go c-band one day.

badaru,enitan,butoneday,enigma and all others how una dey.

if u re in the south and hoping to see smething to manage why not go for c-band cos we cant kill ourself to me nilesat is out of our reach abeg the dish for it does not make sence so is not free for us.

am not discouraging u guys if u ve the space and money u can go ahead am only been jealous for those in the north.if u ve not watch nilesat u wont understand HOW am feeling.

NILESAT HAS THE BEST FTA AND PAY TV IN THE WORLD AND THEY RE ALL HACKED.SHOWTIME REMAIN WORLD BEST PAY TV CHANNEL AND REMAIN HACKED IN NILESAT THATS UNBELIEVABLE. BUT ITS REAL.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by benzion72(m): 2:13pm On Jun 17, 2008
Why are people so hard on me for not reading all the pages on this topic. My friends, it  depend on the time you have at your disposal and if you are having a free access to internet. If i have to read all this pages at cafe i will spend a fortune in to read all the pages so bear with me no vex too much
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ejike3: 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2008
Hello Baba BIGJOE
I am happy for your home coming grin. You really inspired many people. Years back, I thought satellite TV is for the rich till my search for free TV hit your Thread, and that is exactly how I came to Nairaland.

We hope you'll remain with us, and give us more advice any time we need them.
WELCOME HOME!!! smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 3:16pm On Jun 17, 2008
good people of nairaland, I hail una back.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by africode: 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2008
Bigjoe, tanx 4 ur earlier posting on Nairaland. I can now receive up to 40 channels with my 4653x, 90cm+60cm dish connected to intelsat 7, 10 , eutelsat w4 and hotbird. THANKS.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by BUTONEDAY(m): 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2008
Pitodenz,
I agree with you that those in the southern part of Naija should go for about 4m dish for Nilesat channels. I am thinking of replacing my 3.0m fiber dish with at least 4.5m fiber of pan. In this way, I should be able to enjoy all the showtime channels + others even during raining season when the weather sometimes is not favorable. But the big problem is to secure all these big dishes during stormy weather. If you visit CTL office in Warri, you go bow when you see the way them permanent their nilesat dish. Hurricane katrina no go fit shake am. I come dey fear my head o!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by BUTONEDAY(m): 7:38pm On Jun 17, 2008
benzion72:

Why are people so hard on me for not reading all the pages on this topic. My friends, it depend on the time you have at your disposal and if you are having a free access to internet. If i have to read all this pages at cafe i will spend a fortune in to read all the pages so bear with me no vex too much

benzion72,
To save yourself some ego, just click the print button located at the very buttom right of this thread, copy/save the file on your flash and read at your leisure. You will be highly benefited if you do this.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by benzion72(m): 8:39am On Jun 18, 2008
BUTONEDAY
I really want to say thank you for your tip. I never knew it can be done like that.Thank you so muchfor enlighten my ignorance
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 9:07am On Jun 18, 2008
@ biggjoe

Welcome back bro , we all love you for starting this forum , sure lots of people in the house keep the flag flying too. You sure might have a bit of catching up to do , if u havent already grin grin grin. So bro you mean you have being off FTA or just off the forum. Maybe u have some new stuffs for us , Man wish you all the best.

@pitodenz

man i,ve never seen nilesat before , so i can,t feel as bad as u are right now grin grin And you,ve just done it , that is making me understand the fact, forget about nilesat for now, space problem. Now Bro , i need you gibe me a hint on the best setup i can have in the south. Now i have 2 90cm dish ( W3a and pas 7/70). etv is the only channel i enjoy here. So please give me the best setup to go for , and maybe a brif intro the possible satellites with the setup. Will appreciate it so much if u can do this for me and others here in the forum.

@africode

you said you are connected to one HOTBIRD, which one is that ? And with what size of dish , think am missing this part, kindly eductae me on this , are u in the south.?

@All

All the FTA masters in the house , hope u are all doing fine , keep u the good work oo.

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 11:27am On Jun 18, 2008
@ africode,
which of the Hotbirds are u locked to?

I really need to know maybe thats part of the catching up justx24 was referring to   cheesy.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ajiareg(m): 11:58am On Jun 18, 2008
please @ everybody, is there any interesting fta station i can get on mytv direction that is interesting? if yes pls i need the tp ill be grateful if i can get one
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 1:07pm On Jun 18, 2008
Ajiareg,
Since u asked for TP, I take it you can input them in ur decoder when u get them and thats why I have attached  the KU band frequency chart for intelsat 7/10 where MYTV is coming from. I got it from lyngsat

I have edited the chart from the way it normally appear on lyngsat to make sure u understand it better.
The first column has the TP frequency (TP) and symbol rate (SR) of all the channels on the same field. I believe you ll understand the grouping. If u can input the TP and SR in ur decoder, i think you are good to go.

Holla if u have questions.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by yaris(m): 1:36pm On Jun 18, 2008
big joe, wats up? long time no say. thanks for this forum, i have enjoyed it all the way. WELCOME BACK.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by benzion72(m): 2:08pm On Jun 18, 2008
Bigjoe.
I cannot thank you enough. Are there not other sattelite that MYTV can pick. Sometime ago i was able to pick BENTV london with it but i lost it due to my inquisitiveness i wanted to edit some duplicated channels but unfortunately i wrongly deleted it, ever since i have been trying to pick it without much success. Also somebody said with my present Dish, Decoder i can buy HITV card that it will work perfectly how far is that correct?. Also i do use Yaggi Some time ago i dont know the correct name it is form of Antenna that is directed toward Agidingbi and then we do pick station like Yotomi, Eurosport, Discovery,CNN, and some other local cable station but it is not picking any station again. Somebody also said that they have encrypt all the station on a card that the card is sold for Two thousand naira and that thier will be monthly subscription. iwanted to find out how far this is true?.
Please dont mind my so many question i am asking from point of ignorance
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 3:41pm On Jun 18, 2008
@benzion72

I take it that what u meant by 'are there any other satellite MYTV can pick' is whether there are other free channels on the same position with MyTv. If thats what u mean, the answer is that the channels are the ones u can see on the page I attached to my last post.

For u to get more stations, u have to look for a new dish.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 7:12pm On Jun 18, 2008
Biggjoe!!!! grin Ol'boy Welcome back o! Even though, I'm thousands of miles away from the home land, my google search for a good FTA, Dish and LNBf to receive Satellite TV in Nigeria brought me to your thread. You've done well opening this thread man! Once again Welcome back cheesy BTW, is there a way This your FTA thread can have its own forum within Nairaland instead of being  Under Entertainment > TV/Movies? Can the Moderators and Administrator of this website look into this request?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 7:56pm On Jun 18, 2008
@F_Marshal,
I support your motion. Somebody should find a way of telling Seun to make this thread a forum of its own.

Without knowing it, users of this thread have made it so popular that it is becoming one of the most popular FTA forum on the net.

We need to join our voice together and ask Seun to Make this FTA thread a Forum of its own. We deserve it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 8:24pm On Jun 18, 2008
[/quote][quote author=biggjoe link=topic=7715.msg2390270#msg2390270 date=1213815369]
@F_Marshal,
I support your motion. Somebody should find a way of telling Seun to make this thread a forum of its own.

Without knowing it, users of this thread have made it so popular that it is becoming one of the most popular FTA forum on the net.

We need to join our voice together and ask Seun to Make this FTA thread a Forum of its own. We deserve it.

Biggjoe, maybe we should try using the "Report to Moderator" feature. That will get his attention. Since, I can't report myself, why don't you report my post requesting a forum for FTA and I will report yours? Waht do you think? grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Biggjoe

Welcome home; nice to have you back.

@ all

I also see the merit of having an entire forum for Naija/Africa FTA; in fact it would reduce the problem of newcomers asking for help on matters that had been addressed. How easy it is for Seun to set up, I don't know. On the other hand, what I do is to bear the limitation of a thread (as opposed to a full forum) in mind when newcomers ask for help (somewhat tediously) on a matter that had already been addressed.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 8:35pm On Jun 18, 2008
In the spirit of my above post grin

@benzion

If you look carefully you will see that the satellites listed in your receiver each has a position in the sky (orbital position) designated in the form of degrees. For example MyTV is on satellites called (and abbreviated as) Intelsat 7/10 whose orbital position is 68.5 degrees east. On the other hand DSTV is on W4 at 36east. Most dishes with just 1 LNB (and which are not motorised) can only get one orbital position --- in your case 68.5. Also in your case to get other satellites, you need either more dishes or to motorise one dish.

So for now concentrate on the channels in the link given by Biggjoe.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2008
Enigma:

@ Biggjoe

Welcome home; nice to have you back.

@ all

I also see the merit of having an entire forum for Naija/Africa FTA; in fact it would reduce the problem of newcomers asking for help on matters that had been addressed. How easy it is for Seun to set up, I don't know. On the other hand, what I do is to bear the limitation of a thread (as opposed to a full forum) in mind when newcomers ask for help (somewhat tediously) on a matter that had already been addressed.
It is quite easy to do. Just as a moderator would move a thread from the wrong forum to it's rightful place. Believe you me, having an FTA forum will greatly reduce the frequency at which users ask the same question over and over again. It will also help users to post based on individual topics and will make searching for topics a snap. If FTA has it own forum, we can then have "Stickies" (FQA) for the beginners and veterans (experienced) users alike. On the long run Nairaland it is a win - win for Nairaland and FTA users.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 8:54pm On Jun 18, 2008
FMarshall

I realise that; my language was deliberate code for 'I wonder if Seun is up for it'.

@africode

I can now receive up to 40 channels with my 4653x, 90cm+60cm dish connected to intelsat 7, 10 , eutelsat w4 and hotbird.

Unless you are in very far North Africa or Europe, you are not receiving Hotbird. What you are seeing on 'Hotbird' is signal from the satellites that you can really receive e.g. W4 or Intelsat 7/10; this happens because of similar frequencies.

The test is this: can you receive any of the Hotbird channels as listed in the link below?

http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html

cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.