Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,537 members, 7,827,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Issues With Choosing A Life Partner - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Issues With Choosing A Life Partner (20448 Views)

Is Anything Wrong With Choosing To Remain Single? / UBUNJA's MISEDUCATION: Choosing A Girl. / See Ten (10) Things To Check While Choosing A Husband In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Mypeople2(m): 12:15pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ladygee12:
As humans we are not 💯 perfect but how do u make a choice of a life partner who is well to do but can't speak good English and is not ready to get an education because he sees it as a waste of time
How about a lady who is a wife material and has all the qualities you want but is not educated and doesn't speak good English but has refused to get educated and seees it as a waste of time due to her business which brings a lot of cash
Can you cope ?
Marriage is more than speaking English.When you enter then you will know that silence is also a comment

2 Likes

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Karleb(m): 12:28pm On Aug 27, 2023
pansophist:

The same applies to men. I have this family friend who should have married a very good man about 12 years ago. She rejected him because his accent was too igbotic.

Bro, I have a younger sister in this kind of situation. Can I send you a pm so that you can put me through? I don't want her to regret in the future.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Ladygee12: 12:40pm On Aug 27, 2023
franchasofficia:
My lady, English is not a prerequisite for marriage in Nigeria.

Most Indians speak English with Hindu grin

Most Yorubas speak English with Yoruba. When I did my NYSC, the schools in the Yoruba state I served used Yoruba to teach their Pupils English cheesy

Not everybody is good with learning 2nd or 3rd language, whereas some are experts, that doesn't make the other persons that couldn't learn less of humans.

If you don't gerrit forget about it grin
Guy fogerrrrrrrrrit
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Kobojunkiee: 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
Lifeomann:
â–  At the walls marriage the wife is expected to submit to the husband. Don't you submit to your boss at the office?
I see! So your wide is not a partner in your marriage but your slave to you? At least you admit the glaring truth many Nigerians refuse to cop to regarding their demand for submission from their women in marriage. undecided
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 1:25pm On Aug 27, 2023
pansophist:
If by education, you are using it interchangeably as schooling, then you got it wrong.

I know an 18-year-old girl who is smarter than lots of university degree holders. Being educated is mostly having common sense, using it well, and living in the real world.

A lady who didn't attend university but is a good woman and gives you peace is better than the grammarian with high heels, who works in a law firm, and her so-called education has made her troublesome and unsubmissive.

The same applies to men. I have this family friend who should have married a very good man about 12 years ago. She rejected him because his accent was too igbotic.

And I asked, how should an Igbo man speak English again?

Not trying to mock her, but that man was her real husband. He adored and worshipped her, and will do anything for her. That was the first time I had seen a man cry, begging like a criminal for a woman's love.

But as a girl in her prime, she saw no value in him and was waiting for her prince charming. 12 years later, she is still single, and once confessed that rejecting that guy was her biggest mistake.

Even if she didn't confess, we all know it's her biggest mistake, because the guys that are doing shakara for her now, aint even worthy of cleaning the shoes of the guy she rejected.

I can understand if you rejected someone for valid reasons such as a different belief system, irresponsibility, already married, etc., but because of his accent? come on. He lived in eastern Nigeria, so it's normal to have an igbotic accent.

So please, don't reject people for stupid reasons. I personally reject people for their character. That is something you can change. I consider it an insult to myself to be with someone who wants to buy your market with fake currency.

You bring honesty, giving, care, love, presence, attention, etc. to them, but they bring deceit, manipulations, lies, chameleons, and all kinds of dark tactics. Just because you sheathed your sword, they think you don't have or can't use it.

Whatever.

What of a girl in her 30s who still rejects men for not being handsome, despite being good and wonderful men?She says physical qualities is super important to her

1 Like

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by placeofallure(f): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ladygee12:
As humans we are not 💯 perfect but how do u make a choice of a life partner who is well to do but can't speak good English and is not ready to get an education because he sees it as a waste of time
How about a lady who is a wife material and has all the qualities you want but is not educated and doesn't speak good English but has refused to get educated and seees it as a waste of time due to her business which brings a lot of cash
Can you cope ?

Dem take English swear for me o! It's either English or bye bye o! I remember then, I used to read boys' notes to me, I'd dissect them (the letters) with my siblings and we'd have a hard laugh over the horrible ones. The bad English won't let me even see your other good qualities.

1 Like

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Juliearth(f): 4:33pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ladygee12:
Can you cope ?

As much as western education is key, we must not underplay the fact the informal education is sufficient. If your woman can sustain a business.
, that shows that she is not a dullard. The only problem I see here is communication. I think you should focus on helping her attain fluency in English. That could take a while, but it is totally attainable. Get her a tutor, advise her television engagement to programes aired in English and a change of environment would also help.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by pansophist(m): 6:28pm On Aug 27, 2023
TheEnforcer:
What of a girl in her 30s who still rejects men for not being handsome, despite being good and wonderful men?She says physical qualities is super important to her

You can't force her to see value where she can't, or don't want to see value in. As far she knows the consequences/benefits of her actions, just let her be.

You should accept that freedom of choice also means freedom to make bad choice. She will be the one to live with him, not you. It's her life. Leave her alone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by pansophist(m): 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2023
Karleb:

Bro, I have a younger sister in this kind of situation. Can I send you a pm so that you can put me through? I don't want her to regret in the future.

Abeg, don't pm about your sister. Leave her alone.

As far she is an adult and chooses such path, let her be.

3 Likes

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2023
pansophist:

You can't force her to see value where she can't, or don't want to see value in. As far she knows the consequences/benefits of her actions, just let her be.

You should accept that freedom of choice also means freedom to make bad choice. She will be the one to live with him, not you. It's her life. Leave her alone.

No one is disturbing her of course. But when someone over looks a good man simply because he is not very handsome,then good luck to her
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by pansophist(m): 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2023
TheEnforcer:
No one is disturbing her of course. But when someone over looks a good man simply because he is not very handsome,then good luck to her

Yes, good luck to her.

Don't force people to do what they don't want
This life, na suffering full am. And some of those suffering is self-imposed.

Accept the above.

Then you won't bother yourself when people suffer. Kpata kpata, hundred years from now, we will all die and the suffering or enjoyment would be meaningless.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Kobojunkiee: 6:40pm On Aug 27, 2023
Juliearth:
â–  As much as western education is key, we must not underplay the fact the informal education is sufficient. If your woman can sustain a business.
, that shows that she is not a dullard. The only problem I see here is communication. I think you should focus on helping her attain fluency in English. That could take a while, but it is totally attainable. Get her a tutor, advise her television engagement to programes aired in English and a change of environment would also help.
Would you yourself be willing to date a man who can't speak English? undecided
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by 1Sharon(f): 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2023
TheEnforcer:

Women are also visual. Learn that.

If she had rejected him for not being rich enough, you'd still have something to say.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 6:49pm On Aug 27, 2023
1Sharon:

Women are also visual. Learn that.

If she had rejected him for not being rich enough, you'd still have something to say.
To be honest I have no qualms with that.A guy should get his finances in order before proposing. I mean you don't have to be a millionaire but you should be doing well So I can't fault a girl for rejecting such a person who isn't doing well
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by 1Sharon(f): 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
TheEnforcer:
To be honest I have no qualms with that.A guy should get his finances in order before proposing. I mean you don't have to be a millionaire but you should be doing well So I can't fault a girl for rejecting such a person who isn't doing well

So why is it that when women say this exact same statement, men get defensive?

It seems to me because the woman is over 30, you think she should just accept any alternative.

Men approach women solely based on looks.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by descarado: 7:12pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Why not.

Good English a criteria?

Guy, that's inferiority complex.

I have happened to meet colleagues that are so bad in English and yet they are employed in an English soil and heading departments.
Some have such thick traditional accents, you then realise Nigerians are actually English people. And guess ŵhat,the English don't care. What they care about is what's inside and what you can give.

Psquare as far as I know score zero in English language. Some women will proudly leave their first class husband in English language to follow them.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 7:13pm On Aug 27, 2023
1Sharon:

So why is it that when women say this exact same statement, men get defensive?

It seems to me because the woman is over 30, you think she should just accept any alternative.

Men approach women solely based on looks.

I am the one Saying it myself so I don't know those who get defensive. It's common sense.aand also I didn't say she should accept any alternative because she's 30.The guy is not any alternative, he is doing well finances, talented and has many other good qualities which the girl also attested to.Her only problem is him not being very handsome and that is it.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Kobojunkiee: 7:16pm On Aug 27, 2023
descarado:
â–  Why not. Good English a criteria? Guy, that's inferiority complex.
I have happened to meet colleagues that are so bad in English and yet they are employed in an English soil and heading departments.
Some have such thick traditional accents, you then realise Nigerians are actually English people. And guess ŵhat,the English don't care. What they care about is what's inside and what you can give.
Psquare as far as I know score zero in English language. Some women will proudly leave their first class husband in English language to follow them.
All this na tory. Yes, it is a valid criteria for some and there is absolutely nothing inferior about it. As commonsense is communication is key to the health of a relationship and oral communication plays a big role in that for many of us.

So the question is simple. Would you consider dating someone who does not speak fluent English? undecided
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by 1Sharon(f): 7:25pm On Aug 27, 2023
TheEnforcer:
I am the one Saying it myself so I don't know those who get defensive. It's common sense.aand also I didn't say she should accept any alternative because she's 30.The guy is not any alternative, he is doing well finances, talented and has many other good qualities which the girl also attested to.Her only problem is him not being very handsome and that is it.

Like I said before women are visual too.

Men approach women solely based on looks. No man pictures his dream woman to be an ugly woman

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by descarado: 12:00am On Aug 28, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
All this na tory. Yes, it is a valid criteria for some and there is absolutely nothing inferior about it. As commonsense is communication is key to the health of a relationship and oral communication plays a big role in that for many of us.

So the question is simple. Would you consider dating someone who does not speak fluent English? undecided
I will date and marry such.
Yep. No big deal.

Na English I go chop or cuddle in the night.

1 Like

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Juliearth(f): 4:50am On Aug 28, 2023
Kobojunkiee:

No!
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by aquame: 9:51am On Aug 28, 2023
It is even better if you are higher than you woman, woman don't go for someone on their level. They will rather go for someone higher than them. A woman bigger than you won't list and respect you. Forget what the world will say that she is not educated. If you can take care of you family as a man and protect her. That is all that matters. A good wife and a good mother is all that matters not education. Even some of our uneducated mother are trying and doing well.
Ladygee12:
Can you cope ?

1 Like

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:07am On Aug 29, 2023
TheEnforcer:
No one is disturbing her of course. But when someone over looks a good man simply because he is not very handsome, then good luck to her

What's your definition of a "good man"? And what's wrong with wanting a handsome man? Do you not know that, just like men, women are as well very visual? Are you trying to underestimate the importance of sexual attraction? I mean, you can be a good person in layman's terms but if I don't find you attractive, then of what use is your goodness to me?

1 Like

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 12:33am On Aug 29, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

What's your definition of a "good man"? And what's wrong with wanting a handsome man? Do you not know that, just like men, women are as well very visual? Are you trying to underestimate the importance of sexual attraction? I mean, you can be a good person in layman's terms but if I don't find you attractive, then of what use is your goodness to me?
Right ,it all depends on what one wants in a partner,whether it's the deep things,or superficial things .Nothing wrong in wanting a handsome man or a beautiful girl of course. To each his or her own .
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Kobojunkiee: 1:18am On Aug 29, 2023
Juliearth:
No!
So what was all that epistle for? undecided

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by Kobojunkiee: 1:22am On Aug 29, 2023
descarado:
I will date and marry such. Yep. No big deal.
Na English I go chop or cuddle in the night.
Well, unlike you, I can't because good communication ranks high for me in a relationship and English might as well be my first language so no fooling myself abeg. undecided
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by descarado: 8:24am On Aug 29, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Well, unlike you, I can't because good communication ranks high for me in a relationship and English might as well be my first language so no fooling myself abeg. undecided
So as you can't, leave those who will.
It's that simple.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by johnsammy200(m): 12:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
How about a partner that cannot give you advice when you need it the most, she doesn't know how to give advice.
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2023
TheEnforcer:
Right ,it all depends on what one wants in a partner,whether it's the deep things,or superficial things .Nothing wrong in wanting a handsome man or a beautiful girl of course. To each his or her own .

Correct.

That I want deep things doesn't mean he must not be fine. It's essential.

1 Like

Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 1:47pm On Aug 29, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

Correct.

Lolz,for that,then I'll dash an ugly man hahaha
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2023
TheEnforcer:
Lolz,for that,then I'll dash an ugly man hahaha

grin
Re: Issues With Choosing A Life Partner by TheEnforcer: 2:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

Correct.

OH 728 likes on your pp means there will be no shortage of fine men asking you out so you are well covered

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Some Women "run" Away From Nice Guys / If A Guy Doesn't Propose After 2 Years Of Dating, Propose To Him / What Constitutes A Round Of Sex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.