Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,119 members, 7,828,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband (29118 Views)

No Prophet Married Only One Wife In The Bible - Olatosho Oshoffa / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / "What My Mother's Pastor Said About Dangote That Made Me Walk Out Of Church" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by CJStarz: 10:26am On Oct 22, 2023
Bluezy13:

Even though I do not believe in the Bible, but your point is valid, Bible wise.
My brother,if want to read the Bible,pray to God for understanding. He will open your eyes to the hidden truths therein. Do not rely on the interpretations from these over 'righteous' persons who portray God as being vindictive and a sadist.
He is God, plenteous in Mercy.
Peace ✌️
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by bigiyaro(m): 10:28am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

How did Adam populate your fantasy Isreal story garden of Eden to populate the world

Isreali Jews are very weird people, with their ridiculous tales of lies

They claim to migrate from Egypt to isPalestinian land for 40years , 365 * 40 = 14,600 days to travel 600 killometers, they moved like snail covering 1km per month , 33 meters in one day

They did not migrates o, the went back to thier ancestral land in Israel.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by GreatAchiever1: 10:29am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:

A man isn't a boy, no, it's the combination of male and female.

You know the female is like God, like THE HOLY SPIRIT, she has and is built to display all the attributes of GOD ALMIGHTIEST, the help meet for him, the man is greatly help, the same way Isaac was comforted, when Rebekah arrived, that's what THE CREATOR , GOD ALMIGHTIEST SAID before unveiling the most beautiful of HIS creations, while Adam was deep asleep, yet Adam was aware, through revelation that she was taken from the bones of his bones and flesh of his flesh, he said "she shall be called a woman", because she was taken from a man that THE LORD HAD CREATED AND MADE!

Ladies fly...Proverbs 31:29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

You lie at the bolded
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Padipadi(m): 10:30am On Oct 22, 2023
Bluezy13:

I'm not concerned with which is logical.
My concern is the contradiction in the Bible and why he chose to emphasize on one part disregarding the other
You are the contradiction cos that bible already told you wisdom is profitable to direct. One wife, one trouble. Two wives, two troubles.
How do you maintain 100% loyalty to two or more women?
Will your bank account not suffer when you are providing for 3,4,5,6 women instead of 1?
How often ll you satisfy them with sex?
Use your sense baby atheist, bible twister or whatever you are.
Maybe you need lessons, if them born you or any yeye atheist here well, come and reply me and see if I won't drag sense into ya skull.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Andrea781: 10:33am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

How did Adam populate your fantasy Isreal story garden of Eden to populate the world

They claim to migrate from Egypt to Palestinian land for 40years , 365 * 40 = 14,600 days to travel 600 killometers, they moved like snail covering 1km per month , 33 meters in one day

You can go and ask god or shut up
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Zodiac61(m): 10:34am On Oct 22, 2023
This is called 'cherry picking ', selecting those parts of the bible that support your bias and ignoring the rest.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by ekitimanalways(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2023
Bluezy13:
Last time I checked, your Bible has it that David had more than 1 wife, Elkanah had 2 wives, Solomon had 700 wives.

Is your Bible confused or you are

Polygamy is never sanctioned or approved in the Bible. While it is true that some Old Testament champions of the faith had multiple wives, it is never presented as acceptable in the eyes of God.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by ichuka(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:
The scripture comfirm one male and one female relationship!

Not one male, more females as wives, no, not so from the beginning. How do you know?

Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The man is the specie, the male and female! The spirit being, the creature of ELOHIM, THE CREATOR!

2:24 Therefore shall *(a) not two or more)* man leave his, not their) father and his mother, not their mothers), and shall cleave unto his *(wife) not wives* : and they shall be *one flesh, not many flesh, but one.* Pure spiritual! Follow the truth!

His rib, his wife and they shall be one flesh. Now if you want to relate physically, I am talking about marriage, romantic relationship, living together.

So, stop hurting yourself, be free, pray you meet the man you can meet their needs.

You know the female is like God, like THE HOLY SPIRIT, she has and is built to display all the attributes of GOD ALMIGHTIEST, the help meet for him, the man is greatly help, the same way Isaac was comforted, when Rebekah arrived, that's what THE CREATOR , GOD ALMIGHTIEST SAID before unveiling the most beautiful of HIS creations, while Adam was deep asleep, yet Adam was aware, through revelation that she was taken from the bones of his bones and flesh of his flesh, he said "she shall be called a woman", because she was taken from a man that THE LORD HAD CREATED AND MADE!

Ladies fly...Proverbs 31:29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
Hi
So what happens if a man has 3-4 wife's then he heard the gospel and became born again.
What happens to his extra wife's?

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by onatisi(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2023
don't mind them, there is nowhere in the bible where God said a man must have only one wife, all these white men's culture and thinking is what is still affecting them. the same way they all claimed that tithing was mandatory only for them to later say it is not after so many years of misleading people. you can marry more than one wife but having intercourse with a woman who is not married to you is what God detests. marry as many as you like

Bluezy13:
Last time I checked, your Bible has it that David had more than 1 wife, Elkanah had 2 wives, Solomon had 700 wives.

Is your Bible confused or you are

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by BetterHeadline: 10:44am On Oct 22, 2023
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Idaytesj29(m): 10:47am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:

Not one male, more females as wives, no, not so from the beginning. How do you know?

Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The man is the specie, the male and female! The spirit being, the creature of ELOHIM, THE CREATOR!

2:24 Therefore shall *(a) not two or more)* man leave his, not their) father and his mother, not their mothers), and shall cleave unto his *(wife) not wives* : and they shall be *one flesh, not many flesh, but one.* Pure spiritual! Follow the truth!

His rib, his wife and they shall be one flesh. Now if you want to relate physically, I am talking about marriage, romantic relationship, living together.

So, stop hurting yourself, be free, pray you meet the man you can meet their needs.

Who wrote these things?
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:01am On Oct 22, 2023
PythonTutorials:
But why did God not condemn David for marrying so many wives 🤔

Even Solomon....besides he never condemn pa Abraham for knacking hagar
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by LeeSantos(m): 11:03am On Oct 22, 2023
Eyinju112:
I don’t argue anything biblical online. Because many just read some parts and judge with it, they don’t read deep and see what had transpired or will transpire before a certain quote was made. If only Christians can believe that we ain’t under the mosaic law. The mosaic law is the Old Testament, when jesus came, there were things he put straight and as Christians we are the followers of Jesus Christ. The New Testament is where jesus footstep is and that is what all Christians should follow. The account of 1 Corinthians chapter 7 states that polygamy is unlawful; and that one man is to have but one wife, and to keep to her; and that one woman is to have but one husband, and to keep to him and the wife only has a power over the husband's body, a right to it, and may claim the use of it and so as the man only has power to his woman’s body.

So why do you still pay tithes and offering from te Old Testament and first seed offering?
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Isokoboy(m): 11:07am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:

This was translated to English thereby some msg were lost... beside ..Prophet David had how many wives...Solomon, Jacob etc.... i believe they read the orignal script... My point is A man is allow to marry many wives as long..as he can care for them equally....
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Oyelakin225(m): 11:09am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

They claim to migrate from Egypt to Palestinian land for 40years , 365 * 40 = 14,600 days to travel 600 killometers, they moved like snail covering 1km per month , 33 meters in one day

They navigated through the wilderness not the open space bro.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 22, 2023
omooba969:

Pragmatically, it's a better choice if they're all resourceful and 'respect order'.
not with this present NIgerian women, been resourceful and respecting order is not a Nigerian woman thing
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by omooba969(m): 11:12am On Oct 22, 2023
Ready007:
not with this present NIgerian women, been resourceful and respecting order is not a Nigerian woman thing

Lol 🤣 Wetin Nigerian women do una? grin

Chai, Naija women don suffer! 😂
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by 9jii(m): 11:20am On Oct 22, 2023
jumper524:
people only tend to agree with the holy book when it favours them.
Both Muslims and Christians are the same on this, thinking we can used God. The root of our suffering.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by EndRape2(f): 11:25am On Oct 22, 2023
They will not like your post, reason their life is always damaged , and they keep damaging more people, they think or feel, more women is the solution to their problem. The solution to their problem is to work on the negative character of them selves.

ote author=Mercisharelove post=126545345]The scripture comfirm one male and one female relationship!

Ladies fly...Proverbs 31:29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Bluezy13(m): 11:28am On Oct 22, 2023
Padipadi:

You are the contradiction cos that bible already told you wisdom is profitable to direct. One wife, one trouble. Two wives, two troubles.
Will your bank account not suffer when you are providing for 3,4,5,6 women instead of 1?
Maybe you need lessons, if them born you or any yeye atheist here well, come and reply me and see if I won't drag sense into ya skull.

cheesy
Wisdom is profitable to direct according to your bible, so it is unwise...no, it is foolishness, in short it is a curse to say that which the Bible did not as it is written that you shall not add nor remove.

So my friend, where in the Bible is it written that "two wives, two troubles"

If the Bible didn't say it, then you are cursed for your foolishness.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Bluezy13(m): 11:29am On Oct 22, 2023
CJStarz:

My brother,if want to read the Bible,pray to God for understanding. He will open your eyes to the hidden truths therein. Do not rely on the interpretations from these over 'righteous' persons who portray God as being vindictive and a sadist.
He is God, plenteous in Mercy.
Peace ✌️

Keep quiet!
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Eyinju112(f): 11:34am On Oct 22, 2023
LeeSantos:

So why do you still pay tithes and offering from te Old Testament and first seed offering?
I am a Jehovah’s Witness and we do not pay tithes in our Kingdom Halls. We do voluntary contributions. Whatever you have even if it’s 10 naira, you can throw it inside the voluntary contribution box. Nobody sits with this box to monitor what you put in it, this is within you and God. God sees your heart and know that 10 naira is what you have just like the widow who threw 2 coins in the donation box in the Bible.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by AfonjaConehead: 11:36am On Oct 22, 2023
Rilwayne001 Alshaabaab,what do you know:

There are two many contradictory positions in the Bible.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Snitch24(m): 11:37am On Oct 22, 2023
PythonTutorials:
Rules and regulations of any given place is only made to subdue the poor
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by AfonjaConehead: 11:37am On Oct 22, 2023
Rayjnr:

Says the Europeans right?, What about homo?

I said GOD,not Europeans,not homo whatever
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Theweekend: 11:38am On Oct 22, 2023
Padipadi:

In Jewish old testament, many wives are allowed. In present day it's more logical to v one wife. The bible some mofos said it contradicts itself already told people wisdom is profitable to direct. One wife, one trouble. Two wives, two troubles.
but my father married two wives and we are doing better than what u just said am even planning to do same becos in polygamy it's all about love and communication in the family, so get the point.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by rickleye: 11:45am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

The bible gives reason for that.
1. A generation had to die - those who saw the miracle in Egypt yet still did not believe. Only 2 people Joshua and Celeb were leaders from the original pilgrim.

2. How you walk with cattle and young children is different than now. Plus they did no work on Sabbath ( Friday evening to Sunday morning) . When someone gave birth they all camped or when they had arguments amongst each other . Or when they gathered food ( manna) .

3. Terrain was different now than back then so 600 miles now would feel like double or triple . Plus you know where you are going. Those people were led and had to fight some battles along the way.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by victorazyvictor(m): 11:47am On Oct 22, 2023
PythonTutorials:

Yet considered him (David) as man after His heart grin

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by gudugudumeje: 11:48am On Oct 22, 2023
Self-deceit.

So Jacob, Abraham, David, etc. are not made mentioned in your Bible.....
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by MiddleDimension: 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2023
CJStarz:

The Bible is not confused. They are the ones confusing themselves.
There's no place in the Bible where God or Jesus condemned polygamy.God isn't petty! The only people admonished to marry only one wife in the Bible,and that was by Apostle Paul, were pastors,so they could concentrate on the Work of God.

And here is the bible passage to back up what you have said:

''32 Iwould like you to be free from worry. An unmarried man concerns himself with the Lord's work, because he is trying to please the Lord. 33 But a married man concerns himself with worldly matters, because he wants to please his wife; 34 and so he is pulled in two directions. An unmarried woman or a virgin concerns herself with the Lord's work, because she wants to be dedicated both in body and spirit; but a married woman concerns herself with worldly matters, because she wants to please her husband.'' 1Cor 7 vs 32-34.

So, you were right when you said Paul gave that advice so that they can concentrate on their work in the vineyard. He does not want them to be pulled in two directions, like he said in the bolded. But those, like @Dtruthspeaker and @Vdestro, who want to remain ignorant, will ignore this and instead keep believing the lies he was told by those who know nothing about the authentic christian teachings, or the mind of God concerning the matter.

For Paul, marriage comes with a lot of headache; those who are married today can confirm this as well. That's why he said in vs 28 of the same chapter that he would ''rather spare you the everyday troubles that married people will have''

Anyone who says Paul telling pastors and bishops in 1 Timothy 3:2 that they should marry only one wife means he is condemning polygamy, is a big-fat liar! We have seen from the passage I quoted, which you also alluded to in your post that I am quoting that the reason Paul said that, was because he thinks marriage has alot of challenges which could distract one from the Opeus Dei, the work of god.

Now, we all know from his letters, that Paul is someone who is fanatical about evangelism and working in the lord's vineyard which is why he decided not to get married so that he won't have any excuse or distraction. He said ''of all the apostles, I work the hardest!'' 1Cor 15:10. To underline how much he is willing to put in to save every soul on earth, he said: ''Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.'' 1 Cor 9 vs 19. In vs 22-23 he said: ''I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Now the Paul that said what I quoted above, does anyone think even after telling the bishops in Timothy 3:2 that they should marry only one wife; think that same Paul will see someone who is married to more than one wife doing the work of a family man incredibly well, and also works in the vineyard and does the job even better than the so-called singles or 1 wife-men, do you think that same Paul will object to such a man holding the position of a bishop? You think Paul cares about anything else but the work of god? was he not the one who, when he was told he is not one of the original disciple of Jesus hence cannot be regarded as an apostle, told them that but he works the hardest among all the apostles and by so doing, he became an apostle ny the grace of god? 1 Cor 15:10.

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by MiddleDimension: 12:10pm On Oct 22, 2023
gudugudumeje:
Self-deceit.

So Jacob, Abraham, David, etc. are not made mentioned in your Bible.....

Also in the new testament as well. If Paul told Timothy that a bishop should be husband of one wife, then it is because having more than one wife was not uncommon in the congregation. and he never told anyone to put away any of his wife as a form of 'restitution' like the church and its ignorant leaders want today.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Rayjnr: 12:13pm On Oct 22, 2023
AfonjaConehead:

I said GOD,not Europeans,not homo whatever

Exodus 21: 10 na devil talk am?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Lady Becomes Homeless After Sowing Her House Rent As Seed To Pastor / Mentally Challenged Man Healed By Lords Chosen Church Members In Ebonyi (Photos) / Trinity: Why Is It Easier To Call Jesus God And Not The Holy Spirit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.