Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,299 members, 7,829,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti (10866 Views)

Physically Challenged Persons Fight Over N15m NDDC Largesse / Ahmed Musa Ibeto, Niger Deputy Governor Ejected Out Of Government House / Nigeria’s Ex-leader, Buhari Ejected Over Unpaid N20m Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by icez: 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Aigbofa: So their own state and family has rejected them.

Yet Ekiti must take care of them?

Why? Why does Ekiti owe them anything beyond what their family and state owes them

This generosity is perhaps admirable for a person to do in their personal affairs, but a state government cannot do the same. Cannot be "generous" to people it is is not responsible for.

Unless these people have been documented as living in Ekiti State for a substantial period of time (doubtful, I'm guessing), then someone else needs to take care of them.

Why are u saying things like this? embarassed
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Aigbofa: So their own state and family has rejected them.

Yet Ekiti must take care of them?

Why? Why does Ekiti owe them anything beyond what their family and state owes them  

This generosity is perhaps admirable for a person to do in their personal affairs, but a state government cannot do the same. Cannot be "generous" to people it is is not responsible for.

Unless these people have been documented as living in Ekiti State for a substantial period of time (doubtful, I'm guessing), then someone else needs to take care of them.

Even if their State and family has rejected them, that is still not a justification for denying them an education which may benefit not only Ekiti or Nigeria, but entire humanity. You never know.

ekt_bear:

If the above is the case, then that is even more worrisome and the Ekiti state government should be condemned. We must be careful not to result to primordial instincts when dealing with things like this.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 3:48pm On Oct 26, 2011
ndoo_cuck: Truth be told, it depends on how much these disabled folks are costing per person per year. Anyway this misses the point.

Every state in Nigeria should try to provide adequate healthcare facilities and support for the disabled. I don't want a situation in which we spend money intending to build things for Ekiti indigenes, and due to poor decisions by other governors/states, we have to let everyone use what was meant only for indigenes.

That defeats the whole point of federalism  undecided

Imagine deciding too that you want to build amazing schools, but then have to let everyone use them, despite not being indigenes or having any real connection to the state.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by nduchucks: 3:50pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

ndoo_cuck: Truth be told
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 3:51pm On Oct 26, 2011
Aigbofa:

Even if their State and family has rejected them, that is still not a justification for denying them an education which may benefit not only Ekiti or Nigeria, but entire humanity. You never know.

If the above is the case, then that is even more worrisome and the Ekiti state government should be condemned. We must be careful not to result to primodial instincts when dealing with things like this.

Man a state government's job isn't to concern itself with "all of humanity", "all of Africa", or even "all of Nigeria." State government has a much narrower role. California is not taking care of Colorado, Texas isn't taking care of Alaska, etc. Everyone should take care of themselves as they see best and then you meet at the center.

Anyway going by what you say, then Ekiti should spend it's entire budget on free amala for everyone in Nigeria and Africa. Is that really it's mandate? The best use of funds? The best way to sow a seed for the future? No, it is not.

Private charities/individuals can step up to the plate and handle this stuff. But government, if it wants to be effective must be tight-fisted and stingy.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 3:53pm On Oct 26, 2011
icez:

Why are u saying things like this?   embarassed

This path is not sustainable. Clear separation of responsibilities is necessary in federalism. It isn't state X's job to take care of State Y peeps. If that is the case, then you don't have federalism at all.

Maybe I should be asking State X to be building roads for me in State Y too
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by icez: 3:53pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

ndoo_cuck: Truth be told, it depends on how much these disabled folks are costing per person per year. Anyway this misses the point.

Every state in Nigeria should try to provide adequate healthcare facilities and support for the disabled. I don't want a situation in which we spend money intending to build things for Ekiti indigenes, and due to poor decisions by other governors/states, we have to let everyone use what was meant only for indigenes.

That defeats the whole point of federalism  undecided

Imagine deciding too that you want to build amazing schools, but then have to let everyone use them, despite not being indigenes or having any real connection to the state.
you normally do not speak like this, what happened that you have suddenly turned into a tribalist.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Man a state government's job isn't to concern itself with "all of humanity", "all of Africa", or even "all of Nigeria." State government has a much narrower role. California is not taking care of Colorado, Texas isn't taking care of Alaska, etc. Everyone should take care of themselves as they see best and then you meet at the center.

Anyway going by what you say, then Ekiti should spend it's entire budget on free amala for everyone in Nigeria and Africa. Is that really it's mandate? The best use of funds? The best way to sow a seed for the future? No, it is not.

Private charities/individuals can step up to the plate and handle this stuff. But government, if it wants to be effective must be tight-fisted and stingy.

I'm not saying Ekiti should provide "free amala" for everybody. But, ejecting 30 disabled students from their studies because they are from a different state is irresponsible and inhumane in my opinion.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 3:57pm On Oct 26, 2011
Man, if you think this is "tribalism", you have entirely missed the point. Lol.

This is about federalism and separation of responsibilities, to me.

Like I said, folks who have lived there long enough, you probably have to treat the same was as indigenes. But as the article itself states, these guys are not people who have lived there for very long. They are migrating out because their own state (Delta) doesn't have the facilities.

Delta should be building facilities for physically challenged of its own, not kicking the burden to others. That is irresponsible behavior
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:00pm On Oct 26, 2011
Aigbofa:

I'm not saying Ekiti should provide "free amala" for everybody. But, ejecting 30 disabled students from their studies because they are from a different state is irresponsible and inhumane in my opinion.

Heh.

You live in the US right now, yes? Register a kid secretly to attend school outside of his school district. Once they find out the child doesn't live in your school district, see if it won't take them 2 days to kick the child out of the school  grin

And this might be two school districts separated by less than 3 miles! grin

Again, this has nothing to do with "inhumane" or whatever. It is about separation of responsibilities.

State A pushing its burdens/obligations onto State B is wrong.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Man, if you think this is "tribalism", you have entirely missed the point. Lol.

This is about federalism and separation of responsibilities, to me.

[b]Like I said, folks who have lived there long enough, you probably have to treat the same was as indigenes. But as the article itself states, these guys are not people who have lived there for very long. They are migrating out because their own state (Delta) doesn't have the facilities.[/b]Delta should be building facilities for physically challenged of its own, not kicking the burden to others. That is irresponsible behavior

If this is the case, rather than ejecting them, why can't Ekiti provide the care that these people needs and send the bill to the delta state government?
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:02pm On Oct 26, 2011
Aigbofa:

If this is the case, rather than ejecting them, why can't Ekiti provide the care that these people needs and send the bill to the delta state government?

And will Emmanuel Uduaghan pay?

Or will the family members of these people pay?

You know how Nigerians are.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Okijajuju1(m): 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2011
Chai!!

Ekiti State!!

So na 30 handicap wan finish una state treasury?!

I wonder why the state is still existing if it cant afford to pay prolly 1 million Naira tops a month on 30 people,

Ofe' mmanu states and their mmanu reasoning.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Heh.

You live in the US right now, yes? Register a kid secretly to attend school outside of his school district. Once they find out the child doesn't live in your school district, see if it won't take them 2 days to kick the child out of the school  grin

And this might be two school districts separated by less than 3 miles! grin

Again, this has nothing to do with "inhumane" or whatever. It is about separation of responsibilities.

State A pushing its burdens/obligations onto State B is wrong.

Nigeria does not have the type of structure the U.S has. If you are disabled in the U.S you don't need to travel out of state to get the care you need. Even if you do, I doubt they will kick you out for lack of funds.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 26, 2011
Okija_juju:

Chai!!

Ekiti State!!

So na 30 handicap wan finish una state treasury?!

I wonder why the state is still existing if it cant afford to pay prolly 1 million Naira tops a month on 30 people,

Ofe' mmanu states and their mmanu reasoning.

Are you sure you are not one of the handicapped students?
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:14pm On Oct 26, 2011
Whether Nigeria has the same structure or not, you are going to find it very hard to convince people to foot the bill of non-residents and non-indigenes.

It is what it is, man.

If you even do that, then disabled people from all over the country (like this mentally disabled Okija_juju) will flock to your state for treatment. All at your own expense, of course.

And will the governors of their states write you a check? Or work to improve their own facilities? No and no.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by OlaBamitu: 4:17pm On Oct 26, 2011
Ekiti State?

I thought Ekiti is where they have Rocks, thick red sand and big stones, tach houses and women showing breast without bra.

what could those local people have make others migrate there.

No wonder ONLY 30 "HANDICAPS" wan finish their budget.

i dont know why FG keeps giving our money to these backward people
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by OlaBamitu: 4:20pm On Oct 26, 2011
Whether Nigeria has the same structure or not, you are going to find it very hard to convince people to foot the bill of non-residents and non-indigenes.

It is what it is, man.

If you even do that, then disabled people from all over the country (like this mentally disabled Okija_juju) will flock to your state for treatment. All at your own expense, of course.

And will the governors of their states write you a check? Or work to improve their own facilities? No and no.

It is "CHEQUE" you acting like you have hydrocephalus
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:23pm On Oct 26, 2011
In British English, yes, cheque. In at least one other dialect of English, check.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 26, 2011
Ola Bamitu:

It is "CHEQUE" you acting like you have hydrocephalus

I have a huge problem with dum.b azz like you. Who told you you can't write "check"
You think you know so much when you are in fact stup.id.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:27pm On Oct 26, 2011
Just not exposed enough. Don't mind the fellow too much.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Okijajuju1(m): 4:28pm On Oct 26, 2011
Ola Bamitu:

Ekiti State?

I thought Ekiti is where they have Rocks, thick red sand and big stones, tach houses and women showing bosom without bra.

what could those local people have make others migrate there.

No wonder ONLY 30 "HANDICAPS" wan finish their budget.

i dont know why FG keeps giving our money to these backward people

Abeg help me put mouth for the matter o!!

Who is their governor sef?! Shame no catch them to talk am. How much money can 30 people eat biko?! School fees and all!

The State is amongst those suck-away states that are draining our resources in this country. Instead of removing fuel subsidy, dis band Ekiti state and sell the land to any neighbouring state that would be interested in buying it. The state prolly is so under developed that any state that buys it would prolly turn it into a forest/games reserve, or just plant cassava on the land.

#30 Handicapped people and them dey shout, na ehn be say 100 able bodied people go make them declare bankruptcy,

Tufiakwa!!

ekt_bear:

Do you know how many Ekiti urchins that other states have got to cater for?!

Ekiti state provides about 60% of all the taxi drivers in the Niger Delta. And they kill people everyday by the thousands in those their ricketty death traps they call taxis, you would think that they would have gone into extinction but NO!! They also reproduce like rats so for every 1 ekitian that dies, like 5 more come up,

If I were president, I will trade Ekiti to the Cameroonians in exchange for Bakassi. That state has no added benefit to Nigeria. I thought that by now they would have gone the route of Gongola & Bendel state,
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:31pm On Oct 26, 2011
@Okija_juju: Are public sector funds being used on these taxi drivers? If not, then of what relevance is your point to this topic?
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Francis5: 4:36pm On Oct 26, 2011
@ekt_bear,

You are a disappointment. For you, all that matters is Ekiti.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Demdem(m): 4:37pm On Oct 26, 2011
Unfortunately, more to come. If a Governor can eject all non-abians from the state civil service and nothin happened, i wonder what we expect will happen with this.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 4:41pm On Oct 26, 2011
Francis-1:

@ekt_bear,

You are a disappointment. For you, all that matters is Ekiti.

You, like many others on this thread (including the mentally handicapped victim of this exercise, @Okija_juju), have unfortunately missed the point.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 26, 2011
Okija_juju:

Abeg help me put mouth for the matter o!!

Who is their governor sef?! Shame no catch them to talk am. How much money can 30 people eat biko?! School fees and all!

The State is amongst those suck-away states that are draining our resources in this country. Instead of removing fuel subsidy, dis band Ekiti state and sell the land to any neighbouring state that would be interested in buying it. The state prolly is so under developed that any state that buys it would prolly turn it into a forest/games reserve, or just plant cassava on the land.

#30 Handicapped people and them dey shout, na ehn be say 100 able bodied people go make them declare bankruptcy,

Tufiakwa!!

Do you know how many Ekiti urchins that other states have got to cater for?!

Ekiti state provides about 60% of all the taxi drivers in the Niger Delta. And they kill people everyday by the thousands in those their ricketty death traps they call taxis, you would think that they would have gone into extinction but NO!! They also reproduce like rats so for every 1 ekitian that dies, like 5 more come up,

If I were president, I will trade Ekiti to the Cameroonians in exchange for Bakassi. That state has no added benefit to Nigeria. I thought that by now they would have gone the route of Gongola & Bendel state,

You are definitely one of the handicapped fellows. Ekiti 'urchins' in Delta are working and paying for their own needs, while Delta is sending us their invalids. As unfair as it may sound, I still believe Ekiti should show more compassion.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by dayokanu(m): 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2011
So Delta State is now exporting Almajiris all over the country?

Uduaghan should be hung on a stake and fed to hawks.

I support this move. Send to Ekiti Professionals from Delta and they would gladly accept dont send us your liabilities
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by icez: 4:51pm On Oct 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

This path is not sustainable. Clear separation of responsibilities is necessary in federalism. It isn't state X's job to take care of State Y peeps. If that is the case, then you don't have federalism at all.

Maybe I should be asking State X to be building roads for me in State Y too
Bros, this is not about federalism. These are people who are in school, just like any child in any public school in nigeria.
  When i was in ph, primary to secondary education was free for all children(it is still free from what i hear). And i know that there are many yoruba children in ph( especially from ekiti state). Both of my neighbours were from ado-ekiti. There was even a time that the governor of ekiti ayo fayoshe visited peter odili and a street was named after ekiti state in ph. I know that rivers state assist everybody in that state(hausa and yoruba)
Also, rivers state sponsored a lot of yorubas(both muslim and christians) to go for pilgrimage from rivers state. All this was done, without considering their states of origin. Yoruba children enjoy free primary and secondary education in; edo, delta, rivers, bayelsa, akwa-ibom and cross-river state public schools. There is no discrimination.
 Now how will you feel if gov. amaechi were to wake up one day and say only rivers children are not to pay school fees or all this other stuff. Here in the uk whether you are  from bedfordshire, staffordshire or warwickshire does not matter. The county or borough you come from does not matter.
What is wrong is wrong. Removing disabled students from public schools is[b] wrong[/b].
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by ektbear: 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2011
@icez:

If you've lived in Ekiti for 50 years or whatever, then probably you should be treated by the state government in the same exact way as indigenes.

But if it is only when you turn 15 that your parents find out that the facilities in Delta aren't suitable, and that you must be sent elsewhere? Then hard questions must be asked.

I'm not trying to be mean or be an azzhole, but that is just the way it is.

(Obviously there is a big gray area [Or would you prefer [size=18pt]grey area[/size], Ola Bamitu, professor of the British English language? grin] between 50 years and 0 years. And I've not said where the line should be drawn.)

Now, from reading the following description:

Delta State chairman of NASET, Dr. (Mrs.) Catherine Onwubolu, attributed the migration of physically challenged Deltans to other states for education due to the dilapidated nature of infrastructures at special education institutions across the state and called on the government to pay adequate attention to the sector.

She emphasized that the environments of such institutions were not friendly to those who expected to make use of the decrepit infrastructures, adding that the state only recently implemented the payment of 15% special allowance for the secondary school special teachers only.

“I wept for Delta State when I moved round all the schools for the physically challenged. Like in the state capital, Asaba, Agbor, Ughelli and other areas, the state could not boast of good infrastructures for the learning of these children what a shame,” she lamented.

is it not clear to you which side of the boundary these students likely fall?
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Beaf: 5:10pm On Oct 26, 2011
icez:

Bros, this is not about federalism. These are people who are in school, just like any child in any public school in nigeria.
When i was in ph, primary to secondary education was free for all children(it is still free from what i hear). And i know that there are many yoruba children in ph( especially from ekiti state). Both of my neighbours were from ado-ekiti. There was even a time that the governor of ekiti ayo fayoshe visited peter odili and a street was named after ekiti state in ph. I know that rivers state assist everybody in that state(hausa and yoruba)
Also, rivers state sponsored a lot of yorubas(both muslim and christians) to go for pilgrimage from rivers state. All this was done, without considering their states of origin. Yoruba children enjoy free primary and secondary education in; edo, delta, rivers, bayelsa, akwa-ibom and cross-river state public schools. There is no discrimination.
Now how will you feel if gov. amaechi were to wake up one day and say only rivers children are not to pay school fees or all this other stuff. Here in the uk whether you are from bedfordshire, staffordshire or warwickshire does not matter. The county or borough you come from does not matter.
What is wrong is wrong. Removing disabled students from public schools is[b] wrong[/b].

Please tell them, bruv.
There are a lot of sickening things going on in Nigeria today. What makes matters worse is that Ekiti state depends 100% on the FG for its survival, yet the governor deems it fit to expell disabled Nigerians from school, because they are "foreigners."

Where does the money spent in Ekiti state come from? With the rate at which ethnic bigotry and fascism are taking hold in Nigeria, we will soon have public firing squads, hangings and lynchings of non-indegenes in Nigeria.

Rather than continue with such crap, unviable states like Ekiti should be closed down, instead the pack of bushmen in the NASS want to create yet more waste drains for scarce FG money; they call them states. States indeed.
Re: 30 Physically Challenged Deltans Ejected In Ekiti by Demdem(m): 5:15pm On Oct 26, 2011
^^^^^

What happened when able-bodied non indigenes of Abia state working in the civil service were evicted because they werent indigenes?
i am not in support of both cases and its really boils down to the fundamentals that makes us all one nation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Chime Swears In New Dep Gov In Enugu,says We Have Just Replaced A Bad Spark Plug / Nellie Mayshak, DG Of Pensions, Suspended For Alleged “billions Of Naira” Fraud / EFCC Re-Arraigns Embattled Justice Ajumogobia, Withdraws Name Of Godwin Obla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.