Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56219 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GloriousGbola: 3:50pm On Nov 20, 2023
folake4u:

Na the biscuits muzz me pass. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

kip kwaiet angry

we know what we are taking for your bride price

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by torqque7(m): 3:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

Guy you get serious issues o...e be like say you be the type of guy wey dey over calculate everything..I pity your partner honestly.Just bread they gave you and you don reason go mars come back,omoh people dey o

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by folake4u(f): 3:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
GloriousGbola:

kip kwaiet angry

we know what we are taking for your bride price

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by OlujobaSamuel: 3:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
DeBiafran:
Pls jettison the idea of getting married soon. You have a lot of growing up to do. You aren't yet mature for marriage.

No wonder common sense didn't tell u that as an African man, u MUST NOT visit ur inlaws without at least a BOTTLE OF WINE. Even if ur money no reach another thing, wine is compulsory.

Pls how old are you?
Lol, I was even surprised at juice and biscuit, but I no wan talk anything on that before.
I think the ideal thing is fruits and wine.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by UptownVibes(m): 3:58pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.
You for collect am,dispose am afterwards..

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by drimzsmoke(m): 4:00pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ginaz:

biscuit and juice. as per say the parents na primary school children. the guy's gift is 10 times worst than the bread the in- law gave him.

he was fed with good food and still given bread yet he felt the bread was too suspicious or beneath him to accept.

The way he spoke to his wife- to- be about her parents shows he lacks home training. The girl will marry him despite his lack of manners. tufia! embarassed

A lot of you didn't get the OP, OP felt they've done enough already with the meal and felt he shouldn't take the bread not to inconvenience them. I would have done the same sha
You've given me correct meal, still won come add takeaway join and you'd expect me to collect such. When I'm not ole onijekuje!!!
I swear, I'll feel like it's a test to know if I'm a greedy person or something

PuZZyNegro:

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the other way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread. it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread

1. He felt they've done more than enough already
2. He didn't want to get them something common, hence the assorted biscuit(I've never gone home to visit my mum with bread before and NEVER will. When there is smoked catfish, Pringles, chocolate, ice-cream and shortbread
3. Let's say I'm getting married to a girl whose mum sells garri or smoked fish, I would feel more comfortable if she were to give me garri/smoked fish as a take home gift compared to something she's using her money to go buy, I'll feel like I'm being a burden or "inconveniencing" the "poor" woman!!!
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by 79733139(m): 4:00pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

You fûcked up. You should have simply accepted the bread gift and given it to maybe a beggar or even a stray goat. This is Nigeria, avoid unnecessary beefs with people. Her mother could have rejected your biscuits on the grounds that she has type 2 diabetes, but she didn't.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by scoobyblogspot(m): 4:03pm On Nov 20, 2023
Never reject a gift.. its not good

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Jamieb(m): 4:04pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.

Lack of emotional intelligence laced with stupid foolery . Who gives his would be in-laws biscuit and juice on a first visit. If you don't know, that your gift is awkward and they returned same energy.

You can't even judge a situation rightly .

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by nnamdiosu(m): 4:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You're clearly not yet ready for marriage.

You don't know how to handle situations.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by IJEYdiamond(f): 4:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
Guy no need to argue... next time collect their gift... even if u dont like it... or dont eat it but collect it...

West the western.... hmmmmm!!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by okoroemeka(m): 4:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ishilove:

You are contradicting yourself. Gifts are symbolic, so the bread is a symbol of their goodwill towards you. You shouldn't have rejected the gift of your prospective in-laws no matter how strange it appeared.

It is even your own gift that is awkward. Imagine giving my future in-laws diabetes causing biscuits on the first visit
not only is some gifts symbolic in some areas bread is a critical part of the marriage rites,in umunze and parts of orumba in anambra state,the gift of loves of bread is a critical part of the traditional marriage,it is bad diplomacy to reject the gift the people will feel slighted,very bad move,suppose to call the inlaws and apologize

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by perryy(m): 4:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
You are too social and too high for that family, please leave their innocent daughter alone. . U be proud man I swear.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by mechanics(m): 4:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
He should have accepted the bread, maybe they were playing pranks on him.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Countersam(m): 4:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

mechanics:
He should have accepted him, maybe they were playing pranks on him.

Oga you will have ego issues am sure. If you have respect you wouldn't deny that gesture whether you need it or not. You can go out and also give it out if you don't want it, but denying it is a big slap to them

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by aktolly54(m): 4:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

yes you did something wrong by NOT buying bread. Whether they eat it everyday or not, it doesn't concern you. If they like make they dash the bread out, just give people you visit bread bring special joy in your host. Especially Lagos agege bread or any good bread they will always crave for more after eating it. Who biscuits help? Just let it slide and don't allow that cause rift btw you and your fiance

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by fuke(m): 4:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Your biscuit was the worst gift a son-in-law could give.
You young ones are losing cultural values.

In that part of Nigeria, a bottle of whisky and juice will do.
If they don't drink Wisky, other family members will.

Rejecting their gift of bread was a big insult.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Aghans(m): 4:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

My brother, your mother-in-law to be is passing a message to you in which you failed to understand. You was telling you that you were suppose to buy bread when coming to visit people. That's why she is giving you bread. Hope you got the message

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by damosade(m): 4:32pm On Nov 20, 2023
This guy is still a kid.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Peaceagain: 4:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
I think pride has taken over you. In my perspective, i think you see them as beneath you and that is why you refused their gift. Even if it was N10 that was given to you, you are meant to receive it with the same thanks that a gift of N100,000 demands. Apologise to your girl and assure her it won't happen again. You might have lost her already, i hope you haven't though. What you did was childish.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by themanderon: 4:35pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You did very wrong and you gave off a wrong first impression. You should have accepted the bread even if you won't eat it. Some people feel offended when you reject their gifts.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by mechanics(m): 4:35pm On Nov 20, 2023
Countersam:

Oga you will have ego issues am sure. If you have respect you wouldn't deny that gesture whether you need it or not. You can go out and also give it out if you don't want it, but denying it is a big slap to them
exactly.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ayodeoba: 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2023
Itiskdg121:
That's a big mistake, Sir.
I experienced the same with my father inlaw (my mother inlaw is late), while my wife was in school. The old man cooked for me, to make it worse, he forgot to add salt, but I ate the food like that. Normally I don't eat outside you know. It's called respect.

Please, find a way to apologise to your inlaw. We can't run away from the truth.
not adding salt might be a test of fate to see if you will end the love for their child when beauty drops
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by RealEzee(m): 4:51pm On Nov 20, 2023
Did dey say u must chop d bread in front of dem ?
Okay y u no send one smallie der make e buy peanut butter from d supermarket make all of una follow chop d bread together as family

To just blow da ur left eye dey hungry me

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by olabode100: 4:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
You have said it well ....
thesicilian:
Find a way to remedy the situation. In some cultures you rejecting a gift is almost as bad as rejecting the gift giver. And then you made it worse by telling the daughter that it was the wrongest gift they could give you. Who does that? Do you think your biscuits and juice they accepted wholeheartedly from you they couldn't afford to get them on their own if they wanted to?

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by diggindeep: 4:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
Give us this day, our daily bread.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Emperordynasty: 4:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

Your Pride is disgusting

Can your mothet inlaw read minds to know what you think

How can you reject her goodwill and still be arguing

If you are wise you would physically travel back to Port harcout to apologize to her
Explaining that you didnt mean to hurt her

But alas you are already toooo Proud and im sure you wont

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by AleAirHub(m): 4:59pm On Nov 20, 2023
Op, messed up big time. Better call your intending in-law and apologize.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by atobs4real(m): 5:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
thesicilian:
Find a way to remedy the situation. In some cultures you rejecting a gift is almost as bad as rejecting the gift giver. And then you made it worse by telling the daughter that it was the wrongest gift they could give you. Who does that? Do you think your biscuits and juice they accepted wholeheartedly from you they couldn't afford to get them on their own if they wanted to?
Th guys might be one of those pompous niggar

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Kinzo0917(m): 5:09pm On Nov 20, 2023
You brought your story here for advice.
People are now advicing you,
and here you are insulting them.
Which is `they are foaming in their mouth'?
Is it because they never took side with you in your wrong doing

... Nawa ooo.
PuZZyNegro:

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by cutesharon(f): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
Have you sat to think that maybe they couldn't afford more but didn't want you to leave empty handed after you gave them gifts. You for just collect and give someone on the way. I believe it was rude to reject sha. Paints a bad picture that this potential son in law will always look down on them. Anyways, one suitor cancelled. No complain when dem reject marriage request oo. My grandma would always give gifts even if na sweet so guests dont leave emptyhanded.
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by onedayatime(m): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
tuzle:
the person I quoted said even if u don't like it
he should still have accepted it. Take it back with him to Lagos. I assure you his GF will still be the one to eat it

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply)

Man Abandons His Young Wife And Kids, Moves In With Another Lady. Photos / "My Husband Employed Imam To Have Sex With Me For 3 Days" – Wife / Shalom Shoremi: Lesbian Disowned By Family On Newspaper For Same Sex Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.