Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56271 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by AliEzeOlu: 7:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

@Op, what you've done is like indirectly telling them, "I don't really mean to Marry your daughter, I'm just a player".

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Clinghton: 7:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
Did you reject a full bread from your in -law, that's not cool.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Nzeodogwu(m): 7:33pm On Nov 20, 2023
They gifted you bread to indirectly tell you that you were supposed to buy bread for them when coming from a long journey. Since you didn't they had to give you some to teach you some wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Jagaban2012: 7:42pm On Nov 20, 2023
The Op is not just a simpleton..he is also prideful...
I don't need a soothsayer to know that this guy is from the Nnnmyamiri tribe...they are full of themselves and have no substance....you rejected your in-law's food... This is a red flag....if I were the lady...I wouldn't even call you..and if I were the parent the marriage would not hold....you are a disaster waiting to happen in your in-laws...house.
Good riddance to bad rubbish...

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2023
BeigJawnson:

No need of any broader opinion... Needing a broader opinion still shows that you are still trying to justify yourself that what you did is right..
The idiot that said he came here for broader opinion in that his comment has later said that those criticizing him are foaming in the mouth.
Poor man with zero sense, wey still get big pride to cap it all. Yeye dey smell. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 7:47pm On Nov 20, 2023
koning:

You gave them "Shortcake and juice". You did not see where they sell Hollandis or lace in Lagos. You gave your future mother-in-law Biscuits. You're an Ijiot. You must be a Yorooba guy.

You should have accepted the bread anyway.
So according to your tribalistic demented mind, Yoruba people don't value their in-laws and elderly ones, the same set of people that prostate for elderly ones as a sign of respect is who you're trying to ridicule because of your lack of sense. Dey play.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by reddingtonblack: 7:47pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Indomie generation, for the culture how can you buy your inlaws shortcake biscuits, undecided why not kuku add ecclaire sweet or lolli pop grin

Your mother inlaw played reversed psychology on you cheesy you make a wrong move and your inlaws countered with wrong move, two wrongs no right

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ekugbeh:
Rejecting the gift was your choice and there's nothing anyone can do about. They can go and complain. You bought them gifts and they gave you food which you ate.
When you're in Rome, you behave like Romans. It's wrong in the African settings where he's residing and wants to get married.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Incrediblekutty(m): 7:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ginaz:

which broader opinion do you need again? you're looking for someone to support the nonsense you did? you are wrong period! go and apologise immediately. imagine if somone treated your parents like that would you be happy?

I really don't like what you did. you're annoyingly stupid.

Which one be your own Biko!! Haba grin
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by writeprof(m): 7:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.

It was a message to you that since you refused to come with bread, let us give you instead. grin

No matter how you want to see or interpret it, BREAD has become a major substitute for KOLANUT which must be carried when visiting a home for the very first time, especially if there are children there and you want them to look at you with favourable disposition.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by shineeye1: 7:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Apparently you lack proper upbringing. Worse still you are annoyingly conceited and over legalistic. We have to pity whoever is unfortunate enough to be your wife and inlaw. You are offered a gift, regardless of it's specifications , by a prospective inlaw and all you can do is to turn it down ! Who does that?!

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Incrediblekutty(m): 7:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.

You are a proud fool!! The people that gave you the "broader opinion" you seek are foaming in the mouth? That girl never see husband

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by NwaliE01: 8:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
OP, you were very wrong. You missed it from your definition of gift. A gift from inlaw/prospect inlaw in your case doesn't presupposed what you expected. It's what they have to offer you. You might not know what that meant to them. Just as someone said early, since they didn't reject your gift, you shouldn't have rejected theirs.
My parents doesn't eat biscuits nor drink artificial juice anymore. Your gift to my family could be a wrong choice but that doesn't mean they wouldn't accept it from you.
Please, let's lower our expectations from one another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Berankis: 8:14pm On Nov 20, 2023
Most people have spoken and spoken well. He has also learnt his lessons. He should work on the way forward. Possibly call them to apologise and look for other opportunities to make up. First impression is key and lasting, but the world would not end because of that.
I feel he is just a young man still in the process of settling down maturely. We all learn...
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 8:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
Zan41:
I understand what transpired here. From his point of view he didn’t want to look like the only one receiving. It was not out of disrespect. I can tell it happened so fast. And to think of it, giving loaves of bread to a grown man as take away present is really weird
But giving biscuit to an old woman is not weird right?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by malvisguy212: 8:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

you are wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by hardon1(m): 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You don't have sense, I pity the girl that wants to marry an immature and egoistic man like you

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by nathpope(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Oversabi is what is worrying u my broda.
U saw "bread". Your inlaw saw "gift".

U shld av collected d "gift".

They might think the reason for your refusal was because you feel the gift was too small and not befitting for you to accept from them.

Do you think they would want to gift you another thing in the future?
With the fear of you rejecting it because it is not up to standard?

Anyhow, what is done is done.
There is sti time to correct the impression. But no matta how u clean a slate, d mark go stl dey..

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Brush1: 8:43pm On Nov 20, 2023
I have identified your problem, and is pride. You are too full of your self and probably think you are better of. Proud thing. You had better fix what you have broken, proud thing.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Munzy14(m): 8:45pm On Nov 20, 2023
FalseProphet1:
That marriage will not hold.

This I have seen.
Weyrey grin grin
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by DarkJeddi(m): 9:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

Stop being a d1ck head and accept the fact that you goofed,big time..

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Newmans: 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2023
Its never compulsry to accept gift
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Highplains: 9:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
Young man!you're speaking in the rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by LONEWOLFJOHN: 9:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

you should be disbanded and barn from having anything to do with that family because with this your pride? The marriage sef no go last,
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dididrumz(m): 9:29pm On Nov 20, 2023
henrimoto:
..True, he should have collected the bread, even if he doesn't like the bread.

If they had rejected his own gifts (the biscuits as being common) how wound he feel ?

They would see him as someone with high Pride.

They wouldn't just see OP as someone with high pride, dude actually has a destructive level of pride.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BeigJawnson(m): 9:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
Dybala11:

The idiot that said he came here for broader opinion in that his comment has later said that those criticizing him are foaming in the mouth.
Poor man with zero sense, wey still get big pride to cap it all. Yeye dey smell. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

No mind am ... Yeye dey smell true true

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dididrumz(m): 9:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Omor, your level of pride is demonic.
It's best you leave that girl alone and work on your self before talking about marriage.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by chris51(f): 9:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Did the biscuits you gave make sense?

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dididrumz(m): 9:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Guy, you be fool.

Your matter just dey annoy me this night like this.

I pray that marriage doesn't work, if it does, you'll end up suffering that girl.

You will never appreciate anything that girl does does for You.

Your pride will be your doom.

Fool 😑😑😑😑
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by MrDoGood(m): 10:37pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Your girl should explain to her family that you didn't know it's their culture.

Culture varies and it might be their culture for the mother to give you bread.

But you did wrong for rejecting it.

call mama make she no vex. tell her you will collect it next time. period
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by idomytin(m): 10:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
Look at this one. Even your biscuits et al. Are rubbish and way too common yet they accepted your cheap gifts. You are here trying to be polish to say "gift are symbolic" symbolic my foot. I'm pained right now I can't speak with you on phone or see you physically, your friend would have be the middle man to tell you the story next. Nonsense broke and proud Genz fagot! don't go and smooth things ASAP.
PuZZyNegro:

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by jaszplus12(m): 10:58pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

When I was going for my wife, I was prepared to say "yes it's true" if they had said the sky is usually green color....
Doesn't mean I don't know the reality.
One occasion I was meeting her grandmother for the first time I was offered water to drink, even though I had just drank a river from the hotel, I had to find space to drink hers!
You should have collected even if it were a slice!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Photo Of Newborn Baby Covered In Naira Notes / My Wife Misbehaves Because I Cheated On Her. / Man Dumps His Wife In Nigeria & Travels To The US. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.