Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,958 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56378 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by caesymore(m): 10:25am On Nov 21, 2023
Ginaz:
Guy you are wrong, you should have collected the gift. I can't imagine the embarrassment of your in law when you rejected the bread, they must had felt inferior in themselves thinking you rejected their gift due to their condition.

you are wrong period! ha! you had the guts to tell your gf that her parents gift is the wrongest gift to give you.

damn! no respect at all.

Omo see fire be calming down, the harm is already done why harm the guys self-esteem too, baba done accept en fuckup
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by ViceGovernor: 10:47am On Nov 21, 2023
Op got trust issues πŸ˜… it is very key to have it it's the only way to live long in this dangerous world.

I am amazed you don't have complete trust in your instincts.
Our mind does not deceive us most times but people do all the time.

And guess what even the Bible says a man's enemies are those of his own household.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Aarenasbaba(m): 10:47am On Nov 21, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.
Alaye, collect bread and give it to the next beggar you see….. call ur girlfriend or mother in law, thank her that the bread was really sweet , compare to the one you normally eat in Lagos…. Haven’t heard of ariremako
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by achimendy(m): 11:12am On Nov 21, 2023
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Did you notice how he gave them biscuits as gift? Who gives biscuits to his inlaws. Ok of they did not reject it, what makes him think he has the right to under rate the bread they gave him as a gift?

Ohhh I didn't even remember that biscuit part.

That nigga is just controversial.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by rotwailler(m): 11:33am On Nov 21, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

He be like say u want make I scatter ur molar cavity with uppercut.

Ok what does biscuits and juice symbolise?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by frenchman2: 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
yoniehuin:

Na man you be

You know your worth and i like your courage

Giving a visitor 2 slice of bread is an insult and not a good thing

please where in his write-up did you see 2 slice of bread

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by rotwailler(m): 12:53pm On Nov 21, 2023
yoniehuin:

Na man you be

You know your worth and i like your courage

Giving a visitor 2 slice of bread is an insult and not a good thing

Na Hawaii I dey use? Loaves not slice

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Juliearth(f): 1:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
olibeans:

He's not ready for marriage. Still a kid mentally to think for his in-laws. Better start fasting and prayer πŸ™ not to lose that girl cos you committed a very grave offense not collecting that bread.

Even if you're not going to eat it, you would've given it out on the road without offending their honour.

Exactly my point. Collect the gift and distribute to those who need it. During my aunt's visit to her in-law's, she was offered chickens as parting gift. She accepted the live chickens and dashed them out because she couldn't travel down to her base with them.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Juliearth(f): 1:51pm On Nov 21, 2023
Itiskdg121:
It's surprising to realise this after many years.
We learn everyday though

Absolutely! Knowledge is inexhaustible, hence why it is a life-long venture.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 7:24pm On Nov 21, 2023
Dybala11:

When you're in Rome, you behave like Romans. It's wrong in the African settings where he's residing and wants to get married.
and here isn't Rome either
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2023
Ekugbeh:
and here isn't Rome either
And you believe that the adage above refers to Rome in the literal sense, you obviously don't understand that statement hence your reply.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 7:35pm On Nov 21, 2023
Dybala11:

And you believe that the adage above refers to Rome in the literal sense, you obviously don't understand that statement hence your reply.
I understand it very clearly but like I said, here isn't Rome. Besides, he went and left your supposed imaginary Rome
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 7:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
Ekugbeh:
I understand it very clearly but like I said, here isn't Rome. Besides, he went and left your supposed imaginary Rome
You definitely don't understand the comment you quoted, education can never be a scam. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Klass99(f): 10:14pm On Nov 21, 2023
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Princewell2012(m): 10:46pm On Nov 21, 2023
marcmao:
The fact that you refused to BUY THEM BREAD, is the reason they offered you bread while you were leaving.
you should at least seek advises from Elderly and experienced men whenever matters of marital affairs comes up.
You don't assume or use your city knowledge in doing things alone.
Most of our city life styles is archaic to these village dwellers.
Many village dwellers love bread, especially when the bread is sliced or coming from inter state.
Till date, whenever am visiting my in-laws, i still buy them bread and they appreciate it so much.

you need to grow up and be matured.
to me, you never ripe for marriage o.
you need to learn a lot of traditions.
This is deep. Whenever I travel to the village and I did not give my neighbors bread, they usually gets angry with me. They love bread from Lagos so much and I don't know why grin not to talk of going to my in-law how. Haba.
Even here in Lagos when an following anybody to see their in-laws we always ask questions to know what we must bring along.
We did that to my colleague who is a pastor, when it involves marriage you must ask question before going they don't want to know you are a pastor as far as traditions demands.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by FalseProphet1(m): 11:00pm On Nov 21, 2023
Klass99:

Because of bread?
Lol 🀣. You are something else, thanks for cracking me up this night.
Yes o because of bread..

Bread is life.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by LadyG05: 5:49am On Nov 22, 2023
Your gifts to them was very wrong.

On your first visit, you ought to buy wine , can malt and maybe a quality wrapper for the mother.

You need to apologise to them showing that you didn't look down on their gifts rather felt that the meal was more than enough.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 7:38am On Nov 22, 2023
Dybala11:

You definitely don't understand the comment you quoted, education can never be a scam. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I know a lunatic wen he speaks but anyways your parents must be proud
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Klass99(f): 9:10am On Nov 22, 2023

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Trojan8(m): 9:55am On Nov 22, 2023
Klass99:

Seven blessings! Like you I share the same sentiments, I read the original post and wondered why this should be an issue for his girl and her people. In my opinion the OP did nothing wrong by declining the gift of store-bought bread. If it was a gift of home baked bread, home baked cake or home-made yoghurt, kunu, palmwine, or fresh farm produce (yams, fruits etc) e for make sense die NOT store bought bread for goodness' sake.

Please who gives store bought bread as a parting gift to a visitor who came visiting for a few hours? Is it not the person visiting a household that buys bread for that household? In place of bread the OP got something else which is very commendable. @ PuzzyNegro this your username sha......I would have declined the bread too because it is an awkward gift and I am not a pretentious woman. If your girl continues to misyarn or misbehave about this, just use silence and distance to recalibrate her brain. Na she and her people go find you come.

You did nothing wrong don't let your friend and others make you feel otherwise. Your in-laws should have been more thoughtful about the sort of gift they wanted to give, this gesture felt like they wanted to impress when there was no need to. The meal they served you, a warm and receptive attitude ought to have made a good impression.

You kept hammering on the fact that the bread is not home made but somehow your brain still couldn't process the fact that the "biscuits and juice" he gave them was not homebased. The way some of you reason should be studied. Instead of you calling out the OP for what he is, you are trying to justify his stupidity with a one-sided analysis.

I am not surprised though, you have always thrived on controversy.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by spayor(m): 10:22am On Nov 22, 2023
Imagine someone brought biscuit and 5alive to your parents 😏😏
Yeye Dey worry you

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2023
Ekugbeh:
I know a lunatic wen he speaks but anyways your parents must be proud
Na your generations be lunatic, bastard son of a thousand fathers.
Till date, you're yet to write a coherent reply to the comment you quoted, while you've done nothing but condemn your generations both alive and unborn to a life of insanity and wretchedness. We have many mad people like you roaming the society, I just pray you don't die in this condition.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 6:58pm On Nov 22, 2023
Dybala11:

Na your generations be lunatic, bastard son of a thousand fathers.
Till date, you're yet to write a coherent reply to the comment you quoted, while you've done nothing but condemn your generations both alive and unborn to a life of insanity and wretchedness. We have many mad people like you roaming the society, I just pray you don't die in this condition.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ why you de cry nau.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Trojan8(m): 12:01am On Nov 23, 2023
Ekugbeh:

I also cried when I noticed that at 40, you can't comprehend a simple adage like "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I expect something incoherent from you where you would be insulting your parents and what-not. I definitely won't reply to such childish banters.

Just because I am feeling generous, I would explain what the adage means. Basically means when you are somewhere, you should behave the way the people there do. In relation to OP's case, as a Nigerian he should know rejecting gifts especially from a potential inlaw is counter productive. If you look at his basis of rejecting, makes it all the more senseless.

You don't need to thank me for the lecture.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Origin(f): 11:06am On Nov 23, 2023
Kajaard:
You did not apply emotional intelligence at all.

Yes, you should have collected the bread.

Most African parents/ In laws et al might think you are disrespectful by rejecting their gift.

This is not the western world. You should have collected the bread no matter how local or little it looks. Cheers.

C'est fini.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by fyzaila: 11:12am On Nov 23, 2023
Klass99:

Seven blessings! Like you I share the same sentiments, I read the original post and wondered why this should be an issue for his girl and her people. In my opinion the OP did nothing wrong by declining the gift of store-bought bread. If it was a gift of home baked bread, home baked cake or home-made yoghurt, kunu, palmwine, or fresh farm produce (yams, fruits etc) e for make sense die NOT store bought bread for goodness' sake.

Please who gives store bought bread as a parting gift to a visitor who came visiting for a few hours? Is it not the person visiting a household that buys bread for that household? In place of bread the OP got something else which is very commendable. @ PuzzyNegro this your username sha......I would have declined the bread too because it is an awkward gift and I am not a pretentious woman. If your girl continues to misyarn or misbehave about this, just use silence and distance to recalibrate her brain. Na she and her people go find you come.

You did nothing wrong don't let your friend and others make you feel otherwise. Your in-laws should have been more thoughtful about the sort of gift they wanted to give, this gesture felt like they wanted to impress when there was no need to. The meal they served you, a warm and receptive attitude ought to have made a good impression.

Thank you! 😊

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 5:49pm On Nov 23, 2023
Trojan8:

I also cried when I noticed that at 40, you can't comprehend a simple adage like "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I expect something incoherent from you where you would be insulting your parents and what-not. I definitely won't reply to such childish banters.

Just because I am feeling generous, I would explain what the adage means. Basically means when you are somewhere, you should behave the way the people there do. In relation to OP's case, as a Nigerian he should know rejecting gifts especially from a potential inlaw is counter productive. If you look at his basis of rejecting, makes it all the more senseless.

You don't need to thank me for the lecture.
cry 😭 more your tears is delicious
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 7:22pm On Nov 24, 2023
Ekugbeh:
The mad man has spoken again. Mad man no dey get shame say him dey naked, na him family dey shame on his behalf. I pray that your soul find rest, you truly need it.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 9:13pm On Nov 24, 2023
Dybala11:

The mad man has spoken again. Mad man no dey get shame say him dey naked, na him family dey shame on his behalf. I pray that your soul find rest, you truly need it.
and may your soul not find rest 😎
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 9:16pm On Nov 24, 2023
Ekugbeh:
and may your soul not find rest 😎
My soul is enjoying unlimited rest already, something that a restless soul like yours can't relate with. 😌
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by kobarney(m): 6:52am On Nov 25, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

You’re such a fool. πŸ˜”
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by kobarney(m): 6:53am On Nov 25, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You still here forming smart and all learned? Lol.

So much foolishness.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

My Husband Inspects My Private Part Anytime I Return From Work / Man Surprises Wife With A N15million GLA250 For Passing Her Driving Lesson / We Quarrel Because Of Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.