Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35515 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ElSudani: 6:31pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Egusi soup is never yoruba

What then is the meaning of "egunsi"? Egusi as far as we know is a Yoruba word with a meaning.

I am beginning to think that the Yoruba foods you guys enjoy are probably those you try to dissociate with Yoruba. Egusi, Akara, Moimoi etc.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Exceed15: 6:32pm On Jan 04
I still prefer South East/ south south foods. They are the best.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by udomonday: 6:33pm On Jan 04
They look good but taste somehow.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by SpatialKing(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04
All looks like sacrifice
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:33pm On Jan 04
ariesbull:
Akara
Moi Moi aren't Yoruba foods
Same Akara that's called a Yoruba food in Brazil.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:33pm On Jan 04
SpatialKing:
All looks like sacrifice
Because there is not human fl×sh in it bah.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shakathezulu1: 6:34pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
KO ni da fu e.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Paramount01(m): 6:35pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

Why?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Paramount01(m): 6:35pm On Jan 04
Exceed15:
I still prefer South East/ south south foods. They are the best.

Because you are from there

8 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by GUNITGuy: 6:35pm On Jan 04
Ila alasepo

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Soknown: 6:35pm On Jan 04
brainhgeek:

Sapala is not cooked dried maize and coconut. That is owowo.
Sapala is a type of vegetable soup from the flowers or a shrub
I think, what you are referring to is called Isapa which is totally different from Sapala.
There is another 🌽 meal, made from dehusked and broken corns, cooked and eaten like rice.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by silibaba: 6:36pm On Jan 04
Dilijingsly:
Keep trying to upload the images
please add graphic next time to such pics
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:37pm On Jan 04
ElSudani:

What then is the meaning of "egunsi"? Egusi as far as we know is a Yoruba word with a meaning.
You dey mind those people. They are about to start their cultural misappropriation.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:37pm On Jan 04
Paramount01:

Why?
You dey ask tribalist why 😂

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ElSudani: 6:38pm On Jan 04
Raskimonojendor:

You dey mind those people. They are about to start their cultural misappropriation.

So brazen and so ridiculous.

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Exceed15: 6:38pm On Jan 04
Paramount01:

Because you are from there
Not surprisingly not even close to it. I was born and bred in Lagos.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:39pm On Jan 04
Sheggy13:

Learn to be respectful to people. If you don't have anything good to say, it's more dignifying to stay away from the thread.
They are tribalists from the east of the Niger.

7 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Soknown: 6:39pm On Jan 04
ariesbull:
Akara
Moi Moi aren't Yoruba foods
It is called Akaraje, in Bahia. Guess where they got it from.

9 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Odidigboigbo(m): 6:40pm On Jan 04
koning:
I did not see that "Green Algae" Hydraulic soup in the pictures.

Outside Moi Moi and Akara which i don't consider typical Yoruba foods, i have NOT eaten any Yoruba cuisine.
Yoruba don't have food except Amala.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by guru90: 6:40pm On Jan 04
wow oooh Oil soup....
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by tunwumi: 6:42pm On Jan 04
Op, do you know Olu soup(mushroom)

alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
2 Iyan Gbere (Pounded African Bread Fruit)
3 Iyan Koko (Pounded Cocoyam)
4 Ebiripo (Grated Cocoyam)
5 Ifokore/Ikokore (Grated Water yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
9 Amala dudu (processed yam flour)
10 Amala funfun (processed Cassava)
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)
12 Sapala (Cooked Dried Maze eaten with coconut)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Picture 3 (Amala Isu AKA "Amala dudu" meaning black Amala.
Picture 4 (Amala Lafun, AKA "Amala fufun" meaning white Amala

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 6:43pm On Jan 04
ElSudani:

Moimoi and akara are not typical Yoruba foods? Really?
Brazen lies and misrepresentations.

Many of them got their parents lying to them out of hate. I read some comments and smile. Don't mind them.
Many Yoruba foods were adopted by their ancestors and they failed to tell the kids the truth.

8 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 6:46pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Egusi soup is never yoruba

So you think the word Egusi is Igbo or Hausa.

grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Deeprooted: 6:46pm On Jan 04
This reminds me of my first trip to the south west during NYSC.

My PPA came to pick me up from the secretariat straight for lunch.

Innocent an inexperienced me ordered Rice, which was served with a strange looking stew.

Long story short, I couldn't resume work for 2 straight weeks. I got dehydrated from frequent stooling and had to undergo treatment because I lost so much weight.

True Life Story.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by brainhgeek(m): 6:49pm On Jan 04
Soknown:

I think, what you are referring to is called Isapa which is totally different from Sapala.
There is another 🌽 meal, made from dehusked and broken corns, cooked and eaten like rice.
Yes! Isapa is the vegetable soup made from the flower of the shrub.
Shapala is the pudding made from dried, powdered corn cooked with condiments.
Thanks!

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 6:50pm On Jan 04
Yes, those are Yoruba food but who 'invented' what is what may be open to debate.
Those food types are common among Yoruba descendants in Brazil (Salvador) and the ones along West African coastline.

viodemus:
Nothing wey we no go hear.

moi moi, akara, yoruba food? Igbos, they even claim corn and coconut.

out of that whole food, amala is the only yoruba food. Then soup with stew is a mostly yoruba thing.

No wonder many of them believe Tinubu invented and patented Lagos.

soon, before we know it, they might say they invented the air we breathe. Na wa o.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by soccerlite: 6:50pm On Jan 04
Those vegetables are also found and eaten elsewhere

And have their local names too
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 6:51pm On Jan 04
Exactly, some of those foods are present anywhere you see Yorubas, even those enslaved centuries ago.

AuthorMan:

Many of them got their parents lying to them out of hate. I read some comments and smile. Don't mind them.
Many Yoruba foods were adapted by their ancestors and they failed to tell the kids the truth.

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Odidigboigbo(m): 6:52pm On Jan 04
ufotunang:
Their food and soup no pass stew...peppered stew ,🙄
That their pepper, hmm; they always stool because of pepper. Imagine someone that want to cook stew, she will buy tomatoes #200 and Cherry pepper and Ataorodo #800.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by MetaFiles230709: 6:53pm On Jan 04
7upnigeria:

That's why they're hated everywhere. See the way people were happy as their shops were demolished in computer village. Everywhere they go, they will invite HATRED on themselves and they cant stay in their potopoto republic. Go to Ghana, South Africa even Pakistan and see the way they hate them. The issue I have is that some countries are MIXING THEM UP with other parts of Nigeria.

Na just envy and jealousy, no be Yoruba again?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 6:53pm On Jan 04
Totally agree!

Many don't understand how cultures mixed over the ages. Yorubas have been trading and intermarrying from time immemorial. It happened in Ile-Ife with Moremi, and it happened with Oranmiyan in Oyo, who had a Nupe wife and his son also married a Nupe woman. With that comes expansion of knowledge in many basic things including food choices.

Different ethnic groups will come with their own variation and give it a local name. We should appreciate the diversity not make it an issue.

soccerlite:

Those vegetables are also found and eaten elsewhere

And have their local names too

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Beremx(f): 6:56pm On Jan 04
luminouz:

You don marry?
yes na. 17yrs of marriage and counting

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Cheap Egusi Soup I Prepared / Lady Warns People To Be Careful Of The Kind Of "Kponmo" They Buy (pic/video) / How Is Your Weekend Going? Mine In Pictures With Egusi And Bitterleaf Soups

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.