Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,298 members, 7,829,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Atheists Debate Religionists * - Religion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Debate Religionists * (8357 Views)

Einstein On Freewill; Atheists & Religionists Respond * / Can you prove that your God is the real God? - A challenge to all religionists / You Non-religionists, What reasons have You for Forfeiting Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 1:16pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

You have started your ridiculousness again. Why are you fixated on the word "blog"? What has that to do with anything?? Below is the end of the article and who wrote it!

Because dumbarse you are trying to pass it off as a scientific paper. Vopson has not even been able to carry out that tests he outlined, yet an airhead like you is singing it about as if it is scientific fact.

Meanwhile nothing you have showed indicated that any property of the universe should allow for unlimited speed, only deflections to authority that don't even help your case.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 1:23pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

I don't want to call u a liar but you said it for several pages - that the ONLY reason diabetes survives is because diabetics reproduce!

Read the exchange again dumdum. You were the one stressing that diabetes would hinder reproduction while I countered that it would not and thus the diabetes susceptibility will continue to propagate. At no point did I say that was the ONLY reason.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by HellVictorinho6(m): 2:07pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

Go with whatever you think it means, let's see where you going

But we dont even have to be sure of the nature in order to be sure that something exists

We are sure of the length is just another way of expressing our own existence which is to speak or write about the existence of others as we cant be alone.

The existence of XYZ proves the existence of 123.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 3:07pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

Oh we assumed a lot for the sake of conversation. We not only assumed I exist, we assumed the physical universe exists and we assumed I actually have a hand and that there is a hammer. Lots of HUGE assumptions, just like Descartes who made the huge leap from existence of thinking to he himself existing - "Cogito..."
In reality even your fellow atheist, Sam Harris, says the individual does not exist (see below). Since u r of same religion, do you agree with him?

I don't agree with Sam Harris whom I don't share a religion with, and I definitely don't agree with Descartes who thinks therefore exists.

I exist therefore I think, and my existence is definitely not an illusion considering the amount of effort I need to put in to fuel my continued existence.

And to be honest, I'm done with you who thinks you are an illusion. Let me know when you become aware of your existence.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 3:09pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

Thus is NOT true. Man was a vegetarian for a long time. Why didn't goats follow suit?

LoLz. Incorrect, man has always been an omnivore. A legacy handed to us by our hominid forebears millions of years ago.

Meanwhile show the evidence that man was once a vegetarian. I'm willing to bet you are taking a cue from your favourite book of mythology, the Bible.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 3:11pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

Soo,
Q E D. (as usual!)

(Truly amazing how you always lose EVERY TIME we argue!)

Once more dream on.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 3:21pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

If you were at all capable of critical thinking you'd have realized long ago (like most of our geniuses) that you don’t know anything

At least the "nothing" I know is way more that the shit you claim to know.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 3:22pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

I.just saw this. You people are.RIDICULOUS!!
THE ENTIRE PROCESS IS CALLED NATURAL SELECTION!!!
Who but Reed kept harping on a selector??

C'mon sharap there. You who believes in intelligent design, who are you trying to gaslight.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 3:24pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

My friend you sound so stubbornly obtuse. If when you get to Tokyo you find that water flows uphill, human instinct is to find out WHY, not say you can't tell nature what to do. Theorizing and trying to find out as to why an exception is there is NOT telling nature what to do. Hope you can get that through your (I assume) fairly thick skull!

Dumdum when you encounter a phenomenon that falls outside your current power to describe you don't jump to the conclusion that therefore there is some invisible man or men pulling the strings. That's what dumbarses like you do and why we bitchslap your brains to reset it. LoLz.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 3:25pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

Exactly. And it SHOULDN'T!! Laws shouldn't change simply because you're approaching a given speed!!!

Because you said so dumdum? LoLz.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:40pm On Mar 15
LordReed:

LoLz! Keep dreaming of beating me, it is good to have aspirations.

All those QED's are there for all to see grin
The last one was when you said that you never said "natural selection doesn't select anything". I produced two places where you said exactly that, and you started making dumb eccuses!😆
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 8:54pm On Mar 15
PoliteActivist:

All those QED's are there for all to see grin
The last one was when you said that you never said "natural selection doesn't select anything". I produced two places where you said exactly that, and you started making dumb eccuses!😆

LoLz. Nice try. And you can see everywhere I explained what I was saying I used NATURE.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by JessicaRabbit(f): 12:19am On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

Good to have you back. Your erudite submissions add to the level of the discussion.
Well, without "all things being equal" we can't have a discussion because, as I pointed out, it's like we all live in different realities though we physically occupy the same world. There are people who speak with God everyday and people who see shape-shifting demons everyday. Then there are people who are 100% sure a supernatural doesn't exist. The totally weird thing is that BOTH may be right!

Respectfully, you're trying to play a fast one. I am the one who has always said that life is totally subjective - that what exists for one person may not exist for another.
As for what aspects of religion are beneficial, they are rather obvious. Just believing God is on your side and you can't fail is better than going it "alone". But the real point is that you can at same time have ALL there is in atheism without the stigma and "lonliness" and isolation from the social mainstream (speaking of the "human connection" you talked about).
You're right, mutual understanding is far more productive. Though "logical whack-a-mole" can be a lot of fun too. I'll admit I enjoy beating up LordReed grin. I'm truly amazed I've won EVERY SINGLE discussion I've had with him. They always end with me saying "QED"! cheesy

We don't exist in a thought experiment. We live in a world brimming with social constructs, cultural influences, and yes, even a dash of good old-fashioned confirmation bias. To suggest a level playing field for belief formation is simply ahistorical. Remember the Crusades? The Inquisition? Religious persecution? These weren't exactly hotbeds of "free choice" when it came to faith. In reality, people's experiences shape their beliefs, just like countless historical events shaped the rise of various religions.

The idea that believing in a deity provides an advantage over non-belief is a comforting notion for some, I agree. But you keep confusing comfort with truth. The placebo effect is well-documented in medicine, and perhaps there's a parallel in belief systems. The mind is powerful, and belief can indeed have profound effects on one's perception of life's challenges and successes. Throughout history, countless wars have been waged under the banner of one god versus another. So much for your "God is on your side" myth and divine assurance of victory. Furthermore, human connection doesn't require a shared belief in the supernatural. It requires empathy, understanding, and the recognition of our shared humanity. Atheists find community in many places: family, friends, interest-based groups, and yes, even in the broader societal mainstream. The "stigma" you speak of is lessening as the world becomes more secular and diverse in thought.

FYI, declaring "QED" after every debate doesn't magically make your position valid. That just betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of how constructive discourse works.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by JessicaRabbit(f): 12:22am On Mar 16
Geovanni412:

What do you mean by finding meaning through personal growth and human connection?

It is a very vague term which both evil and good people use interchangeably

Kindly clarify

It's always interesting to watch people create this false dichotomy of "evil and good people". I mean, there's a whole spectrum of human behavior, not just heroes and villains. Sure, some bad apples may use self-improvement rhetoric for nefarious purposes. But I hope you know history is littered with tyrants who clung dearly to religious dogma. My point? good and bad can exist within both religious and secular frameworks. Personal growth is all about becoming the best version of yourself. Learning new things, challenging your assumptions, pushing your boundaries - you know, the opposite of stagnating in a set of pre-determined beliefs. As for human connection, that's the glue that holds society together. Sharing experiences, offering support, and learning from others - these are all inherently meaningful aspects of being human. Religion can foster connection, sure, but it's hardly the only game in town. Friendships, family bonds, even that camaraderie you feel with your local book club - all contribute to a fulfilling life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Geovanni412(m): 8:57am On Mar 16
JessicaRabbit:

It's always interesting to watch people create this false dichotomy of "evil and good people". I mean, there's a whole spectrum of human behavior, not just heroes and villains. Sure, some bad apples may use self-improvement rhetoric for nefarious purposes. But I hope you know history is littered with tyrants who clung dearly to religious dogma. My point? good and bad can exist within both religious and secular frameworks. Personal growth is all about becoming the best version of yourself. Learning new things, challenging your assumptions, pushing your boundaries - you know, the opposite of stagnating in a set of pre-determined beliefs. As for human connection, that's the glue that holds society together. Sharing experiences, offering support, and learning from others - these are all inherently meaningful aspects of being human. Religion can foster connection, sure, but it's hardly the only game in town. Friendships, family bonds, even that camaraderie you feel with your local book club - all contribute to a fulfilling life.

Do you believe that Adolf Hitler and pol pot were striving to become the best version of themselves?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by HellVictorinho6(m): 3:33pm On Mar 16
Geovanni412:

Do you believe that Adolf Hitler and pol pot were striving to become the best version of themselves?

that one is a talkative too

i mean using 2 many words often to repeat same shit

so bad at summarizing

atheism gives no advantage

ask me why

simple

nigeria is the worst place that has ever been and the worst that will ever be

atheists cant do shit abt that

angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 4:26pm On Mar 16
budaatum:
I don't agree with Sam Harris whom I don't share a religion with, and I definitely don't agree with Descartes who thinks therefore exists.

LordReed:
At least the "nothing" I know is way more that the shit you claim to know.

HellVictorinho6:
But we dont even have to be sure of the nature in order to be sure that something exists

JessicaRabbit:
We don't exist in a thought experiment. We live in a world brimming with social constructs, cultural influences, and yes, even a dash of good old-fashioned confirmation bias. To suggest a level playing field for belief formation is simply ahistorical. Remember the Crusades? The Inquisition? Religious persecution?

Pardon my tagging everybody but these are crucial points to get accross because most people think they are jokes (I'll later reply other mentions BTW):
1) Why atheism that says God does not exist is a religion (and a stupid one at that IMHO), and 2) Why our greatest thinkers are right when they say we don't know anything.

Here's the TRUTH:
You find yourself in this reality. You don't AT ALL know what it is. You don't know if it's an illusion (like Einstein thinks), a matrix, a simulation, a hallucination, a dream, a heaven, a hell, if you have free will in it or you just have illusion of free will, if the reality is being manipulated, if you're being manipulated, where your thoughts come from, whether you are the one actually thinking them, what thinking actually is, where your dreams come from, whether there is a "you" at all (atheist Sam Harris says there is not), wether things are predetermined (as Einstein thought), etc., etc.. All you know is that there seem to be things going on and you seem to be in them {or they seem to be in you - to the extent there is a "you"}
Bottom line: YOU DON'T HAVE THE FOGGIEST IDEA WHAT THIS IS or what is truly going on!
You see water, air, etc. You don't know what they are or why they're in those particular forms.
To compound all that, you find out you are practically blind (you see 0.003% of light), that you don't know what 95% of stuff around you is, that you only perceive 4 dimensions out of hundreds, and that on a cosmic scale (if the universe were shrunk to size of earth) your earth won't be visible even with the strongest microscope!

Please answer truthfully, is someone with these attributes qualified to have an opinion as to whether God exists??!!

Being an atheist is like being sure of the answer to the question: X+5=?, without knowing AT ALL what X is, wether X is even a number at all or a goat! It is also why our greatest thinkers are right when they say we don't know anything - if you don't know what X is, you don't know anything!

**BTW Sam Harris was right but there is no great insight about what he said. It is simple common sense:
If you don't believe there is a supernatural (as you said you don't budaatum) then you must agree that the "self", the individual person, doesn’t exist - it is an illusion of accumulated memory. If your memory is wiped, "you" seizes to exit TOTALLY. If another person's memory is put in that body, that person becomes "you". Same applies to a dog or anything else. You are your accumulated memory, NOTHING ELSE! Without memory the individual, the "self", does not exist!

FxMasterz, maynman, Dtruthspeaker, Image123, DrJones109, Jesusjnr2022, LordReed, Jaephoenix, JessicaRabbit, Knownunknown, DeepSight, BBIA HellVictorinho6, SIXFEETUNDER, OkpaNsukkaisBae, Bacteriologist, FRANCISTOWN, SIRTee15, Aemmyjah, TheSourcerer,
Busybrain2233, 1Sharon, TakeNigeriaBack,
Botragelad, isan, MaxInDHouse, Fourthpredator,
seun, hopefullandlord, bobestman, Lorrayne, HardMirror, Hahn, SlawG, albreezy4eva, Muslim, Dominique, Mrbroke, EnemyofGod2,  kkins25, Wilgrea7, A001, Maynthemayn

1 Share

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Geovanni412(m): 4:51pm On Mar 16
HellVictorinho6:

that one is a talkative too

i mean using 2 many words often to repeat same shit

so bad at summarizing

atheism gives no advantage

ask me why

simple

nigeria is the worst place that has ever been and the worst that will ever be

atheists cant do shit abt that

angry

Toh

That's why I gave her two examples of people with very good intentions for their people

As for Nigeria, give her to an atheist and the situation will be 10x worse.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Geovanni412(m): 4:55pm On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

Pardon my tagging everybody but these are crucial points to get accross because most people think they are jokes (I'll later reply other mentions BTW):
1) Why atheism that says God does not exist is a religion (and a stupid one at that IMHO), and 2) Why our greatest thinkers are right when they say we don't know anything.

Here's the TRUTH:
You find yourself in this reality. You don't AT ALL know what it is. You don't know if it's an illusion (like Einstein thinks), a matrix, a simulation, a hallucination, a dream, a heaven, a hell, if you have free will in it or you just have illusion of free will, if the reality is being manipulated, if you're being manipulated, where your thoughts come from, whether you are the one actually thinking them, what thinking actually is, where your dreams come from, whether there is a "you" at all (atheist Sam Harris says there is not), wether things are predetermined (as Einstein thought), etc., etc.. All you know is that there seem to be things going on and you seem to be in them {or they seem to be in you - to the extent there is a "you"}
Bottom line: YOU DON'T HAVE THE FOGGIEST IDEA WHAT THIS IS or what is truly going on!
You see water, air, etc. You don't know what they are or why they're in those particular forms.
To compound all that, you find out you are practically blind (you see 0.003% of light), that you don't know what 95% of stuff around you is, that you only perceive 4 dimensions out of hundreds, and that on a cosmic scale (if the universe were shrunk to size of earth) your earth won't be visible even with the strongest microscope!

Please answer truthfully, is someone with these attributes qualified to have an opinion as to whether God exists??!!

Being an atheist is like being sure of the answer to the question: X+5=?, without knowing AT ALL what X is, wether X is even a number at all or a goat! It is also why our greatest thinkers are right when they say we don't know anything - if you don't know what X is, you don't know anything!

**BTW Sam Harris was right but there is no great insight about what he said. It is simple common sense:
If you don't believe there is a supernatural (as you said you don't budaatum) then you must agree that the "self", the individual person, doesn’t exist - it is an illusion of accumulated memory. If your memory is wiped, "you" seizes to exit TOTALLY. If another person's memory is put in that body, that person becomes "you". Same applies to a dog or anything else. You are your accumulated memory, NOTHING ELSE! Without memory the individual, the "self", does not exist!

My issue is with the bolded as regards memory

What can we say about boxers, like Prichard Colon that suffer brain damage and can't remember a thing?

Are they no longer in existence even though they are alive?

Kindly clarify
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 5:05pm On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

Here's the TRUTH:

But some how declaring you know there is an intelligent designer somewhere is better. LoLz. SMH.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:33pm On Mar 16
LordReed:

But some how declaring you know there is an intelligent designer somewhere is better. LoLz. SMH.

I never said tha and I'd never say that. I only said that certain things (like nature's correlation with math and theoretical Physics) are pointers to there being some sort of design to the universe
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:44pm On Mar 16
Geovanni412:

My issue is with the bolded as regards memory

What can we say about boxers, like Prichard Colon that suffer brain damage and can't remember a thing?

Are they no longer in existence even though they are alive?

Kindly clarify

Thanks 4 your response.
He no longer exists as an individual. There is no longer a "self". He is simply part of the mass consciousness. That's why people like Sam Harris say that individuality is an illusion of memory - in reality there's only one mass consciousness.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 5:45pm On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

Pardon my tagging everybody .......

Explain to me whom you, who claims he doesn't actually exist, tags, when you believe those you tag don't actually exist.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by HellVictorinho6(m): 5:55pm On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

Here's the TRUTH:

same people u refer to as greatest but knowing nothing claimed to know many more things than u think

anyways, not knowing what x means doesnt mean not knowing itz part of an equation and that means we use it to represent a number.

the memory cant exist if u never existed.

the memory cant be separated from u.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:07pm On Mar 16
HellVictorinho6:

same people u refer to as greatest but knowing nothing claimed to know many more things than u think

anyways, not knowing what x means doesnt mean not knowing itz part of an equation and that means we use it to represent a number.

Sooo, define "u"
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:12pm On Mar 16
budaatum:

Explain to me whom you, who claims he doesn't actually exist, tags, when you believe those you tag don't actually exist.

Please cite the right wording: I have no way of BEING SURE if and what they really are. The matrix and dreams are also full of people discussing with you - yet none of them exist!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:16pm On Mar 16
HellVictorinho6:

Ok, what if this is a long-running computer game of a far advanced alien civilization, and they each have their chips (people) that they play with and the game has set rules, etc.
See? That's just one of a trillion things it could be!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 6:17pm On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

Please cite the right wording: I have no way of BEING SURE if and what they really are. The matrix and dreams are also full of people discussing with you - yet none of them exist!

Do not include me in your mass mentions please since you are not sure you exist.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 6:20pm On Mar 16
PoliteActivist:

I never said tha and I'd never say that. I only said that certain things (like nature's correlation with math and theoretical Physics) are pointers to there being some sort of design to the universe

Oh please. Stop trying so hard to gaslight yourself. It is so obvious what you believe.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:21pm On Mar 16
budaatum:

Do not include me in your mass mentions please since you are not sure you exist.

You don't understand. There is high probability I actually exist (at least at some level), just no CERTITUDE!!!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:22pm On Mar 16
LordReed:

Oh please. Stop trying so hard to gaslight yourself. It is so obvious what you believe.

What do you understand this word you like using actually mean: gaslight?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by LordReed(m): 6:24pm On Mar 16
budaatum:

LoLz. That is another of their favourite dodges, using hard solipsism to either shut down inquiry or to avoid uncomfortable details.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (36) (Reply)

Music: Oba Aseda ~ Tope Alabi / PHOTO: ‘jesus’ Appears In Ghana / Pastor Creflo Dollars Changes Mindset On Tithes !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.