Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid - Jokes Etc (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid (24845 Views)

14 Photos You Will Definitely Relate To If You Played Football As A Kid / Ladies: When You Have A Kid As A Boyfriend (pix) / A Kid Was Crying Outside His House. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by ayobase(m): 6:56am On Jun 17, 2012
shadrach77: i heard and believed that Pele while playing in a match he came for in Nigeria, took a shot which hit the bar post and he asked the stadium authorities to measure the goalpost, saying it wasn't the normal size and when they measured it, they realised it wasn't the normal size

There was another fable about Thunder Balogun - that he had a bet with Gordon Banks to score five goals with him (Banks) between the goal post. Gordon Banks caught four of Thunder's penalty kicks and just as Thunder Balogun was running to take the last kick, his wife suddenly shouted "Thunder don't forget your left!" and he changed and used his left leg to take the kick instead of his right (The left leg according to the fable had been "bought" so he was not allowed to use it)and just as Gordon Banks caught the ball, the ball went through him and came out on the other side and broke the net shocked shocked shocked shocked

There was another fable about Pele - Pele wanted to take a penalty kick with Gordon Banks in goal, and because banks was so good, he bent down and untied the lace of one of his boots, and then pretended as if he wanted to take a kick. His left book flew off and the goalkeeper went after the boot thinking the ball had been played. He then used his other leg to kick the ball which sailed into the net - the goalkeeper bought the dummy he sold!

whoever created this fabulous tales deserve to be caned grin grin grin grin

Oh boy.... U sef bought those those....I couldnt believe I bought those craps....still sounds true somehow, but....
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by freecocoa(f): 7:36am On Jun 17, 2012
I believed that if someone crosses you and don't cross back,your kid would resemble the person,one day this very ugly man that came to our house crossed me,i waited for him to cross back but he didn't,i had to tell him to please cross me back as i don't want my child looking like him,he refused o saying my kid must look like him. Omo come see cry that day,i kept following him holding his shirt while crying and begging him,it took the intervention of my mum to get him to cross me back.cheesy

*That whatever falls the ground especially food has been touched by the devil so one shouldn't take it again,

*That any song we sing in our church belonged to our church alone,i used cry, fight or quarrel with anyone i heard singing our church song.grin

*Most times when my mum would be chewing something,if i ask her what she was chewing,she used to close one of her eyes and tell me"I'm eating my eye" later i see the eye and ask her thought you've eaten this eye,she'd say"it has grown back" that only grown ups had the ability to eat their eyes and it grows back.shocked

*i used to believe that if you bend down in a market place and look through your legs backwards,you'd see all the spirits in the market. Still don't know if its a lie.

*There was also this belief that indians were banned from football because whenever they played the ball,the goal keeper sees lions or elephants running towards him instead of a ball,so the keeper would just leave the post and allow the lion(ball) run into the net,that they(indians)scored hundreds of goals in matches,that's why they were no longer allowed to play.

*I also believed that if you cut a duck's head and legs,wrap them together and put under a motor,it will turn to snake in the morning.

*If you eat mango and drink coke before its an hour interval,you'll die. Funny enough i have never tried doing otherwise till tomorrow cheesy.

Chei i swallowed all these hook, line and sinker.grin
And so many more,crazy beliefs i tell ya smiley.

3 Likes

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 17, 2012
I believed "sesame street" puppets were real (big bird and co)
I also thought my mum had at least one invisible eye at the back of her head that even sees through walls...lol
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Domaro: 8:14am On Jun 17, 2012
Well for us that was breed in igbo cultured village, there many norms and believe we had, some times though they seems to be true, i believe that
1. If u go to our primary school at night u see ghost doing their own school
2. If you go to cherry tree(ukwu udara) at mid day, u see ghost
3. If u look through ur legs in the mkt place u will see the living dead that walks without their legs touchin ground.
4. That masqurade comes from ant hole
and so many other tings
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by chidibrown(m): 8:53am On Jun 17, 2012
i used 2fink Tom nd Jerry wia abroad....Nd 1nz yhu wave yhur hands on crickets yhu'll qet a wyt finger...
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by royaltheo(m): 10:01am On Jun 17, 2012
My parents told me if I ate outside d house, I would die, my dad also said I will be a bad representative of d family if I don't always come first in class (dt made me study hard sha). I thot land line (nitel) fones used electricity, I also thot our presidents where selected from d royal families,grand ma said wen ever I see a fallin star, a big man has died...d brighter d star, d richer d man, mum said if I didn't say my prayers @ nyt...Karashika will torment me!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 17, 2012
olasesi: ..........when i was a child, i had some pretty funny ideas that i really cant stop smiling at when i remember them..........

........i used to think eggs GROW on trees...(DAMN)......
........at some time according to me,when one of your teeth gets off, you DIE....(HO BOY)....
........it bothered me that a measuring ruler starts from "0" (why not 1?).........hmmmmmmmm quite reasonable
........i ones asked my mum "how did u become bigger than me?"

.......plz share yours with us.......

@mr moderator it will do good if this makes it to the front page.........
Correction:"I used to think eggs grew on trees"
"When ur tooth falls off"
"I once asked"

1 Like

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 17, 2012
freecocoa: I believed that if someone crosses you and don't cross back,your kid would resemble the person,one day this very ugly man that came to our house crossed me,i waited for him to cross back but he didn't,i had to tell him to please cross me back as i don't want my child looking like him,he refused o saying my kid must look like him. Omo come see cry that day,i kept following him holding his shirt while crying and begging him,it took the intervention of my mum to get him to cross me back.cheesy

*That whatever falls the ground especially food has been touched by the devil so one shouldn't take it again,

*That any song we sing in our church belonged to our church alone,i used cry, fight or quarrel with anyone i heard singing our church song.grin

*Most times when my mum would be chewing something,if i ask her what she was chewing,she used to close one of her eyes and tell me"I'm eating my eye" later i see the eye and ask her thought you've eaten this eye,she'd say"it has grown back" that only grown ups had the ability to eat their eyes and it grows back.shocked

*i used to believe that if you bend down in a market place and look through your legs backwards,you'd see all the spirits in the market. Still don't know if its a lie.

*There was also this belief that indians were banned from football because whenever they played the ball,the goal keeper sees lions or elephants running towards him instead of a ball,so the keeper would just leave the post and allow the lion(ball) run into the net,that they(indians)scored hundreds of goals in matches,that's why they were no longer allowed to play.

*I also believed that if you cut a duck's head and legs,wrap them together and put under a motor,it will turn to snake in the morning.

*If you eat mango and drink coke before its an hour interval,you'll die. Funny enough i have never tried doing otherwise till tomorrow cheesy.

Chei i swallowed all these hook, line and sinker.grin
And so many more,crazy beliefs i tell ya smiley.
What?So why were Indians really banned from playing football?I tot it was true? embarassed
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by sirwyte(m): 10:50am On Jun 17, 2012
Wn i ws a kid, i used 2 thnk dt any man dt is nt rich ws nvr a hrdwrkin man bt wn i gt oldr, lolz""".
I used 2 thnk dt med docs dnt fall sick.
I used 2 thnk then dt d flat we whr livin in ws owned by my dad.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Virgo83(m): 11:25am On Jun 17, 2012
I remembered vividly the day when I had running stomach and I was purging, my brother then told me to go eat banana and drink ribenna with it so as to stop the purging. Thanks to a neighbor of ours, who stopped me cause I was about to used it.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by freecocoa(f): 11:38am On Jun 17, 2012
meenagiggs:
What?So why were Indians really banned from playing football?I tot it was true? embarassed
Bros me i don't know o but c'mon that thing we believed as kids can't be true cheesy.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by OCHULORC(m): 1:53pm On Jun 17, 2012
Wen I was a kid I used to cry wen I c a police man wt his uniform thinking they are looking for me and want to kill me. I still have a lil of dat fear till date.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Azubreezy(m): 2:07pm On Jun 17, 2012
wen I was a kid, I used to think dat my dad has an answer to all d questions in d world. i also tot any one who buys bwho buys u biscuit is aunty or uncle.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Emmyk(m): 5:01pm On Jun 17, 2012
When I was I kid, I used to think AirPlanes land up there in the sky meaning anyone travelling by plane will land on so many thousands of feet above our ground!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by muffins99(f): 7:54pm On Jun 17, 2012
No yab me o, please.

-When I was 7, I stayed at a relative's place for the summer holiday. They used to rent 'blue films' and I thought blue film meant the screen was blue instead of black and white. I was always sent to the room but would open the door and peek with one eye...and then thought my relatives knew that I was peeking and decided to change the screen to B&W just to spite me!!!

-My mum had loads of recipie books (cakes, continental, oriental, etc). My sisters and I thought that if our mum was happy with us at that time and if we licked the food we wanted to eat, we would taste it...I never admitted to my sisters that i couldn't taste anything!

-I used to think that whenever birds flew past and I sang a particular song, my nails will turn white...they never did and I always got so vexed.

-I used to think that if you stuck out your hand into the rain, your hand will shrivel up and fall off!! Of course now I know its for health reasons i.e. so that I don't catch a chill/cold.

-I used to think that anyone who sat on top of mortar will grow a big belly...Obviously this was just for hygiene or health reasons.

-I thought if you swallowed chewing gum your stomach will stick together and you will die from agonising pains and hunger

-I used to think ekana Gowon (Gowon's nails) was actually really his nails and I wondered (1) why they were so dark, big and conical in shape (2) why his nails were so sweet, and (3) why there was so much of it and it was always on available to buy

Most of the 'myths' we knew as kids were to instill ethics, and for health and safety reasons (don't catch cold, get pregnant, etc). Obviously, the older generation thought the best way to get kids to obey is to frighten them. However, some of them were just plain silly and were usually the result of childish conjecture by the younger ones.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by mrkels(m): 10:14pm On Jun 17, 2012
India won nigeria 100:0 and killed the only person that scored okparagi grin
coke and mango would kill you,till date i still do not know if this is true or not grin
The world would end in 2000. Thats the year i got baptized grin
That cartoon network then were real life cartons and they had a world of their own in america grin
It was possible to live on earth forever grin
People lived in the moon and are watching us every night, just like we watch them when there is no light at home and the heat drove us outside to. grin
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by shadrach77: 10:20pm On Jun 17, 2012
muffins99: No yab me o, please.

-When I was 7, I stayed at a relative's place for the summer holiday. They used to rent 'blue films' and I thought blue film meant the screen was blue instead of black and white. I was always sent to the room but would open the door and peek with one eye...and then thought my relatives knew that I was peeking and decided to change the screen to B&W just to spite me!!!

-My mum had loads of recipie books (cakes, continental, oriental, etc). My sisters and I thought that if our mum was happy with us at that time and if we licked the food we wanted to eat, we would taste it...I never admitted to my sisters that i couldn't taste anything!

-I used to think that whenever birds flew past and I sang a particular song, my nails will turn white...they never did and I always got so vexed.

-I used to think that if you stuck out your hand into the rain, your hand will shrivel up and fall off!! Of course now I know its for health reasons i.e. so that I don't catch a chill/cold.

-I used to think that anyone who sat on top of mortar will grow a big belly...Obviously this was just for hygiene or health reasons.

-I thought if you swallowed chewing gum your stomach will stick together and you will die from agonising pains and hunger

-I used to think ekana Gowon (Gowon's nails) was actually really his nails and I wondered (1) why they were so dark, big and conical in shape (2) why his nails were so sweet, and (3) why there was so much of it and it was always on available to buy

Most of the 'myths' we knew as kids were to instill ethics, and for health and safety reasons (don't catch cold, get pregnant, etc). Obviously, the older generation thought the best way to get kids to obey is to frighten them. However, some of them were just plain silly and were usually the result of childish conjecture by the younger ones.

now, you are the definition of funny! grin grin grin
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by sucezTP(f): 10:52pm On Jun 17, 2012
My mum alwayz warn me nt 2 sit @ d entrance while eatin dat i wld n't b satisfied...i still blieve dat til date!

Weneva i'm eatin somtin n it falls off, my aunty wil tel me nt 2 pick it dat satan has eaten it

I was told dat lizard was d cause of epilepsy so weneva i c a lizard passin 2ru any path i wil change my directn immediately..

I was also told dat tortoise gav lizard hot water 2 drnk @ d king's palace 2 stop it frm marryin d king's daughter, dat was y it cldn't talk n always nods its head.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by muffins99(f): 11:16pm On Jun 17, 2012
shadrach77:
now, you are the definition of funny! grin grin grin

I've told only half of the story....when school resumed, we had to write an essay which was 'a letter to your penpal' telling him/her what you did during the holidays...yeah, you're right! I wrote that I'd watched blue movie!!!! and all hell broke loose. See me see trouble o. My teacher (understandably) made such a big deal out of it but at that time I didn't understand why. My mum would have heard of it if not for my sister who told a lie to cover up for me o...till today, I'm very careful what I brag about!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by shadrach77: 11:25pm On Jun 17, 2012
muffins99:

I've told only half of the story....when school resumed, we had to write an essay which was 'a letter to your penpal' telling him/her what you did during the holidays...yeah, you're right! I wrote that I'd watched blue movie!!!! and all hell broke loose. See me see trouble o. My teacher (understandably) made such a big deal out of it but at that time I didn't understand why. My mum would have heard of it if not for my sister who told a lie to cover up for me o...till today, I'm very careful what I brag about!
muffins99:

lol! your school must obviously be a very good school 'cause most of these 'jakande' public schools wouldn't have made so much fuss out of it. grin grin grin
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by muffins99(f): 11:38pm On Jun 17, 2012
shadrach77:
lol! your school must obviously be a very good school 'cause most of these 'jakande' public schools wouldn't have made so much fuss out of it. grin grin grin

It was the 80s when education was still ok, though it was a unversity staff school and the teacher was born again too!!
I was really naughty though cos a few days later, my classmates caught me kissing the teacher's son under her desk. lol ...gosh, i shouldn't be saying this on NL! I'm logging off now!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by jboi25: 8:33am On Jun 18, 2012
when i was a kid, then i wud tell my mum to buy me a big toy car and she wud return from without d toy telling me dat all d sellers are dead dat she wud buy it d next day when de wake up.
lol
i also remember when i wud ask my elder bro y was our neighbours house not painted he wud tell me dat it was formerly painted but it was thief that stole d paint from thier house.
funny enough and i beleived and used to pray dat thief shud not steal our house paint

1 Like

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by ayobase(m): 9:55am On Jun 18, 2012
meenagiggs:

I am still looking for someone to counter me on that also!
Let me go google it!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by ayobase(m): 9:55am On Jun 18, 2012
meenagiggs:

I am still looking for someone to counter me on that also!
Meanwhile, let me go google it!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by ril19(m): 10:03am On Jun 18, 2012
sometimes when music is played on a radio station, i wondered how it is that people took their music instruments to play (live) in the radio station.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by ayobase(m): 10:06am On Jun 18, 2012
Plus that fact that one shouldnt draw line with stick on the ground....the longer the line, the longer one's mummy's br.eas.t!
hmmmm!
That tortoise's ugly shell was due to fall from the sky due to selfishness....hmmmm!

1 Like

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 18, 2012
Omo ona no go kill me oo. i don laf tire.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by manmacho: 12:47pm On Jun 18, 2012
i use to beleive that if you die on sunday you will go to heaven

i use to beliv that, with your finger in a lock style, you will bring down an hawk

if you wave your hands toward lekeleke you will have a aptch on white in your finger

bloack spot in your body is ami orun

big rain cloud is the end of the owrl, so i quickly ask for forgiveness
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by musulumi(m): 12:48pm On Jun 18, 2012
When i was young, believed my car will always come even if i dont work- at least every body is having one!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by bizgirl(f): 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
i used to believe that man will only sleep with his wife just once and there babies will be coming at anytime they wish to have them. no need to meet again for the 2nd,3rd,4th etc baby.

i also used to believe that a woman shd marry 2 husbands at the same time(just the way man keeps 2 wives at home) so that the responsibilities of the children will be shared in-between the 2 of them.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Xionez(m): 3:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
muffins99:

It was the 80s when education was still ok, though it was a unversity staff school and the teacher was born again too!!
I was really naughty though cos a few days later, my classmates caught me kissing the teacher's son under her desk. lol ...gosh, i shouldn't be saying this on NL! I'm logging off now!

Guess your mum never told you the most common and biggest lie of all times.
"A mere touch from a guy and you will get pregnant".

Lucky You!. I had to grow a pair, a BIG one at that, before I could test this theory. Had sleepness nights for 9 months before I met her again. She was pissed I wasn't talking to her again. She stopped midway and put 2 and 2 together. Suddenly she burst out laughing and ran to tell her friends who also burst out laughing and pointing.
That was the day to tasted real humiliation. Worse than the day I flooded my bedsheet.
I was 12 by the way. A perfect monk.

P.S. Since you guyz are lol-ing, I guess I should tell my reason for touching her. She slapped me for making fun of her and due to this "belief" I couldn't retaliate sharpally. This kept me quiet for sometime analyzing the outcome of the actions I might take. All actions led to physical contact but in anger I was like "to hell with it".
I met her later on and told her my mind and demanded an apology. It didn't go down well and as you might guess, there was a LOT of physical contact as I tried to get her to say sorry. She finally did but my mind wasn't there again. My anger had cleared. Fear set in as I tried to count how many times I touched her. When it got past 5. I fled. The aftermath is what you had just read.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Biggiestep(m): 4:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
I tot d day my dad bought benz was d day i first saw benz.
Drinkin cofee makes 1 head bigger.
As a kid i tot talkin to a girl automaticalli means am married to her.
I use to think as a kid dat only bad guys smokes n drinks until i tasted it.
I once tot dat i can really fly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Should Mummy Eat Junior Instead Of Garri? / Romade! Na Wetin U Put Der Wey U De Find / A Picture Of DOG Serving NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.