Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid - Jokes Etc (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid (24849 Views)

14 Photos You Will Definitely Relate To If You Played Football As A Kid / Ladies: When You Have A Kid As A Boyfriend (pix) / A Kid Was Crying Outside His House. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by StateOfMind: 8:55pm On Jun 16, 2012
nikkyshyne: 1. Yes, tot drinking coconut water makes one dull
2. If you cut a gecko's tail, poverty would strike you when you are older. Still believe that.
3. The moon/sun follows me to school and church.
4. When you sing to a certain bird as they fly by, they give you white spots on the finger nails.
5. Removing an eye lash and stepping on it makes your parent forget the bad deed you did in which they were gonna punish you for.
6. When your biscuit falls to the ground, never pick it up to eat cox satan has licked it.
7. God and his Angels lives in the sky.
8. If you eat Garri with cherry Mango, u'l die.

Lol @ no8
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by omoredia: 8:56pm On Jun 16, 2012
I used to think babies were bought not born lol
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by SUXXI(m): 9:02pm On Jun 16, 2012
When i was in primary 2,2 female teachers were discussing.
One was narrating the story,the other was very alarmed.
First teacher:They were surrounded by armed robbers.They robbed all their belongings.
Second Teacher:Robbed!!!Oh my God,why na?(So sad)...
I was thinking...what is wrong if they were robbed? Abi no be rob my mummy dey rob me for house with metholator or rob? It was later in years i realized that rob means to steal.

Then another was when i was watching a movie,The Terminator.
Sara Conner was escaping from the facility and she had to take out some guards.
I was watching the movie with my neighbour far advanced in age than me.
He said that she have murderd the guards.I asked how can she mother the guards? I was really confused.I know that mother is who gives birth to you.So how can she?He told me that when i grow up, i will understand. I know understand that its murder he meant and not mother.

In the night i thought that the shripping sound i hear from the bush is made by the stars in heaven.
Now i know better that its the insects and not stars that make such sound.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Arysexy(m): 9:03pm On Jun 16, 2012
i was told dat if i spit on my poo, i will have goitre. i was made to believe that if i want to see a ghost,go to market at nyt spread my legs apart and luk inbetween the spread legs i will see ghosts walking on their heads.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Dvibs: 9:18pm On Jun 16, 2012
[s][/s]
Piyke: I still remember crying heavily the day i swallowed an orange seed and my mum told me it was going to grow out of my head. Sounds funny now but omo i cried and cried until i was told it wont happen
grin
Piyke: I still remember crying heavily the day i swallowed an orange seed and my mum told me it was going to grow out of my head. Sounds funny now but omo i cried and cried until i was told it wont happen
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 16, 2012
When I was a kid I thought drugs were made from ones poo. Cause whenever I went to the hospital they always asked for my poo. undecided undecided
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by julimax(m): 9:45pm On Jun 16, 2012
I use to think that lightning was God taking pictures of me to judge on the last day. I was told that if you work u will get money, so i try to wash clean and sweep, then i put my hands in my pocket to see if there was money in it. I use to think that rain was people in heaven peeing on us. And that Elderly people dont phat.

3 Likes

Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by shadrach77: 10:06pm On Jun 16, 2012
i remember when i was in secondary school, there was a football match that ended in penanlty shoot-out, one of the penalty takers from my team took a penalty kick with hit the upright bar of the goal-post before going in. I asked him if the kick was deliberate and he said it was and even claimed he had taken several penalty kicks like that (kicks that hit the upright bar before going in). I believed him until many many years later when i realised the 'agbaya' lied to me grin grin grin
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 16, 2012
If you eat mango and follow it with eba or garri, you will die.

In primary school I would have eaten mango from school, and when I got home the available food for lunch will be eba. Omo, come see dilemma o. After hunger don catch me taya, I go draw the bowl of eba and finish it, then rush to football field. I will now be expecting stomach upset.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by vanstanzy(m): 10:08pm On Jun 16, 2012
I for one thought the entire world was my house and my compound and that the outside world doesn't exist. The whiteman was a fake to me, a doll-baby.
I also used to imagine why ones leg doesnt grow much bigger than ones head, since the food we eat goes down and i supposed it was to get down to ones leg.
I used to imagine how people get into the radios and TV all of the time to perform.
Those muslim women that cover their faces were actually masquerades sent after me.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by librangyps(f): 10:37pm On Jun 16, 2012
martyns303: that if you don't get filled after eating, rub oil on ur "throat", open ur mouth and face the building it will fall into ur mouth.
that my Dad is the richest Dad.
that if some one cross ur legs while ur lying down, the person have to "cross it back", i dnt knw what will happen but the person jst have to "cross it back".
when i was a kid am hardly allowed to go out, if u send me an errand it takes forever for me to return, my mom will spit on the floor and say "if u dnt return befor it dries up ur tummy will ache" undecided

♒ђåª•ђåª•ђåª cheesy leg crossing thingy, I used to thing if d person refuses to re-cross ur legs, ur children will b like him... I loved crossing legs a lot then... Especially preg relatives, cheesy
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by librangyps(f): 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2012
martyns303: that if you don't get filled after eating, rub oil on ur "throat", open ur mouth and face the building it will fall into ur mouth.
that my Dad is the richest Dad.
that if some one cross ur legs while ur lying down, the person have to "cross it back", i dnt knw what will happen but the person jst have to "cross it back".
when i was a kid am hardly allowed to go out, if u send me an errand it takes forever for me to return, my mom will spit on the floor and say "if u dnt return befor it dries up ur tummy will ache" undecided

♒ђåª•ђåª•ђåª cheesy leg crossing thingy, I used to think if d person refuses to re-cross ur legs, ur children will b like him... I loved crossing legs a lot then... Especially preg relatives, cheesy
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by blumail: 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2012
DelePhd: I once believed some of the things said here but surprised nobody has mentioned this, when you stand while eating the food will go to your legs.lol
Yea, my mum used to say dt. She also said all kissing & stuff in films are phototrick.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Philipsdael(m): 10:46pm On Jun 16, 2012
We use to believed that if u kill walldekor n didnt dig a hole to bury it....that it will come to u in nyt with its dead family members.....
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Cindydyke(f): 10:49pm On Jun 16, 2012
Wen i was a kid my mum told me dat if i look at d mirror esp. at night dat i wil see a ghost ad even till 2day i have not tried dat.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by nefertitiram: 10:51pm On Jun 16, 2012
fubbyy: I used to think wrestling was real, although some adults still think it is

It isn't real :☺
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 16, 2012
I love the populated threads, shows how deceptive parents are....just to control the kids, in advance psychology, these are called control statements, just to dissuade you from negative acts. Believe me, there are certain things right now that are control statements too. One of which is having 70 virgins after jihad and going to hell if you commit "sin".
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by 2scorehigh(m): 11:03pm On Jun 16, 2012
When I was a kid, there were so many things I was made to believe were true...take a look.

1. I was made to believe that Bruce Lee died of "muscle pull" which led to his body enlarging and bursting into pieces! Poor Bruce...

2. I was told that the reason why India do not participate is soccer was because they use a lot of juju which turned the ball into some terrible dangerous things like lions and monsters which always scarred the terrified opponents away all the time thus allowing the Indian teams to beat their opponents with as much as 50 goals to nothing time which made FIFA to ban them!

3. Now as a kid, I used to think that every black man is an Igbo man! So you can imagine how surprising it was for me to learn that Bob Marley, who we've been hearing about since childhood, could not even utter any Igbo word simply because he was not even an Igbo man!

4. I was told that the reason Michael Jackson refused to do any concert or show in Africa (or was it Nigeria?) was because the whole electricity generated in Africa (or was it Nigeria?) could not power his speakers and I kept on wondering if his speakers were made by angels!

5. I was told that it was not a good thing for me to watch people who are kissing on the telly and anytime I see such scenes, as a good boy who does not want to do anything that will incur the wrath of God, I should look away and I foolishly believed and obeyed all those adults who fed my that BS although I must admit that my precocious mind kept on wondering why those adults never looked away! Maybe, God so much hates them already grin grin grin

6. I was told never to eat food or accept anything from strangers and even some of my neighbors because those people wants to poison or kill me and I kept on wondering why I will always have to reject the food from my neighbor who knows how to cook wonderful meals with nice aroma simply because they want to kill me. What have I done that that they want me dead? To tell you the truth, I secretly hated both my neighbor and my parents for conspiring against my stomach and taste buds! cry

7. I was made to believe that I should never pick any lost money so that I would not turn into a chicken or goat or something like that because such monies belong to ritual men who want to use me for their blood money ritual. I thank God all that has changed now because if you ever mistakenly lose your one thousand Naira note and I see it, chances are, you are going to start seeing some chicken parts in my soup! tongue

8. When I was a kid during catechism classes, I was told that Jesus died to save us from our sins and he rose up from the dead on the third day. I kept on wondering why Jesus must die for us to be saved and how possible it is for someone to rise from the dead! To make matters worse, to this day, no one has ever satisfactorily explained all that Jewish rigmarole to me!
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by uglyBetty1(f): 11:16pm On Jun 16, 2012
When I was a kid,I used to think that if u sit down and eat food,that the whole food goes to somebody's buttocks so that is why the buttocks is normally big.

I used to think that if you open a the TV or the radio,you will see the people talking inside,so one day,I carried my dad's radio and was trying to open it,luckily for him,he saw on time and asked what I was doing,I told him I wanted to see the people inside,he told me that they travelled,and I will not see anybody,and I beleived him

My mum told me that if you hit your leg on the wall during afternoon time,then in the night,the wall will fall on you.Lol

I was told that if you look at the mirrow in the night,you will see a ghost.

If you swallow an orange seed or Udala seed,that the seed will grow from ur stomach through your head.I remebered one particular day I swallowed an udala seed, I cried and cried,my mum reasured me that maybe that one will grow,the following morning,I woke up from sleep and ran to her and told her to check my head that it is as if the seed had grown. She said that it will take the seed like 5 days to come out,I started crying again. For some time,I refused to eat anything that has seed in it.

I used to think that aeroplane can't land on people's houses,until June 3,2012,I know better.

Infact,a lot of things to write. If I remember again,I will write.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by uglyBetty1(f): 11:19pm On Jun 16, 2012
I meant to write that she reasured me that the one I swallowed will not grow.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Philipsdael(m): 11:20pm On Jun 16, 2012
Cindy dyke: Wen i was a kid my mum told me dat if i look at d mirror esp. at night dat i wil see a ghost ad even till 2day i have not tried dat.
its real oh.....at nyt, if u look @ the mirrow in places like bush or forest its higly dangerouse.....
Mirrow means alot in the spiritual realm....
A guy once looked at the mirrow in the mid nyt and later starts seeing dots of powder forming a face on the mirrow....real story mirrow means a lot in the spirit realm.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Siloko26(m): 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2012
unite4real: 1. when we saw Egrets flying, we would start singing " LEKE LEKE GIVE ME WHITE FINGER" Surprisingly, we noticed white patch on our nails.

2. whenever an elder sent me on errand, they wud spit on the floor and said if it got dry before i came back, my navel wud get rotten. Omo come see speed.
true talk...its suprising we saw white patch on our nails
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by jerrywool: 11:29pm On Jun 16, 2012
[size=38pt]BUSH BABIES EXISTED![/size] cry
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Philipsdael(m): 11:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
jerrywool: [size=38pt]BUSH BABIES EXISTED![/size] cry
There are bush-babies but not like u think (actually they are not like human babies)....it was 3months ago that my curiousity forced me to actualy googled it and i read it on WIKIPEDIA that its a nick-name for a particular species of the monkey family that has a cry like a human baby...
Before then i use to think that they are real human (evil)babies not knowing that they are simply a rare and vicious kind of monkeys........lolz
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Philipsdael(m): 11:57pm On Jun 16, 2012
When i was in maybe primary 3....
I was suprise when my elder bro told me that "small-pikin" clothes are also bought...cos i use to think somebody will always supply free clothes for all small-pikin....lolz
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by shadrach77: 12:10am On Jun 17, 2012
i heard and believed that Pele while playing in a match he came for in Nigeria, took a shot which hit the bar post and he asked the stadium authorities to measure the goalpost, saying it wasn't the normal size and when they measured it, they realised it wasn't the normal size

There was another fable about Thunder Balogun - that he had a bet with Gordon Banks to score five goals with him (Banks) between the goal post. Gordon Banks caught four of Thunder's penalty kicks and just as Thunder Balogun was running to take the last kick, his wife suddenly shouted "Thunder don't forget your left!" and he changed and used his left leg to take the kick instead of his right (The left leg according to the fable had been "bought" so he was not allowed to use it)and just as Gordon Banks caught the ball, the ball went through him and came out on the other side and broke the net shocked shocked shocked shocked

There was another fable about Pele - Pele wanted to take a penalty kick with Gordon Banks in goal, and because banks was so good, he bent down and untied the lace of one of his boots, and then pretended as if he wanted to take a kick. His left book flew off and the goalkeeper went after the boot thinking the ball had been played. He then used his other leg to kick the ball which sailed into the net - the goalkeeper bought the dummy he sold!

whoever created this fabulous tales deserve to be caned grin grin grin grin
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by segebobo: 12:13am On Jun 17, 2012
We used to believe when we're given N1 coin as offering in those days & you bury it in the ground, the devil will take it & you'll not find it again
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Burrito(f): 1:10am On Jun 17, 2012
This is a lovely thread. I used to believe that the sun singled me out to follow me everywhere. My mum told me that my grandma once presented the Queen of England with a bouquet of flowers, omo, see bragging when i got to school. I thought the president of any country was named Babangida. I thought sleeping with a bible under my pillow was sure protection against witches and co. I thought swallowing chewing gum would seal all my intestines together.
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Rayz94(f): 1:28am On Jun 17, 2012
lol..this so funny...when i was younger i used to give alphabets gender i.e male or female cheesy
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Dermie: 3:51am On Jun 17, 2012
sinie: Oh and my mum used to tell us if we fell sick she ll sell us and use the money to buy another baby, so whenever we were sick we ll pretend to be fine till we are almost dying! Lol
your mum no try o grin
sinie: Oh and my mum used to tell us if we fell sick she ll sell us and use the money to buy another baby, so whenever we were sick we ll pretend to be fine till we are almost dying! Lol
your mum no try o
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by lynkyinka(m): 5:33am On Jun 17, 2012
When I was much younger I used to beleive if you ate a FISH's eye, you'ld become a dullard for life
also dat any broom you place standing would follow you wherever you go hence you would be hearing unseen footsteps
Re: Funny Beliefs We Had When We Were A Kid by Biola4u(m): 6:52am On Jun 17, 2012
I still can remember plantin garri and perboiled rice alongside beans in our garden and wonderin why only the beans grow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Should Mummy Eat Junior Instead Of Garri? / Romade! Na Wetin U Put Der Wey U De Find / A Picture Of DOG Serving NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.