Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,525 members, 7,958,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:45 PM

Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? (23604 Views)

Are Ladies Truly Impossible To Please? / Are they afraid of my financial status: / Why Do Girls Avoid/Ignore Me? It Is Impossible To Get A Date! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by braveheart2012(m): 2:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
@OP - This is the classic conundrum many successful Nigerian women face. You are not alone.

Because of your unusual status as a very financially capable single woman, you have to resign yourself to the reality that you are not like most other Nigerian single women and the solution to your "situation" is not going to be typical or cookie-cutter. You're going to have to get a bit more creative with meeting your goals. Something is probably going to have to give if you want to find your guy before you hit your mid-30s. My recommendations are as follows:

1) Go out of your comfort zone to meet the type of men you like. VERY few Yoruba single guys attend Catholic church! If you want to meet a man in church, then you'll have to find the biggest RCCG parish in New York and become an active member.

2) Don't carry a Birkin and rent a place in Tribeca: I hate to say this but in the interest of presenting you the unvarnished truth, I must say it. Please, hide your money and tone down your lifestyle. We men have big, giant and fragile egos. The type of man you want (i.e. an ambitious, financially independent man) will shy away from approaching a woman that's more financially capable than he is. That's is just male ego for you. If you want to find such a man, you'll have to tone-down all the flashy artifacts of your financial ability. Of course, any man you ultimately date seriously will eventually know your earning power and will be fine with it but you must first attract him.

You might be thinking that you don't have to tone-down anything but there is a flip-side that makes it even more important for you to tone things down. The type of men that tend to flock to visibly well-to-do single ladies are generally men looking for a meal ticket (or men that are looking for business opportunities but probably aren't interested in romance). Such men are more willing to ignore their male ego and seduce you with sweet words because they see $$$ all over you. Toning things down will keep such men at bay (the smart gold-diggers will figure you out anyway but you will at least avoid the not-so-smart ones).

3) Open your mind: I know you want to marry a Yoruba dude but you can also find love elsewhere. Think very hard about what you like about Yoruba dudes and I am sure you'll meet men from other ethnic groups or countries that share those traits. Lots of Yoruba men are in very unhappy marriages with Yoruba men (ethnic group is not the ultimate marker of a great life partner). You never know where you might meet the man that'll rock your world and make you his Mrs. Good luck!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by TechRev: 2:51pm On Jul 07, 2012
desari: @acidtalk... Great advice.

My post on NL was an avenue for me to vent my frustration. I have not met any men from any online channels and I am very wary of finding someone this way. My frustration got the better me yesterday, i sorta regret puting my business out here like this. On the flip side, i have gotten great advice and learned of places in NY that decent naijas hang out that I didn't know about before.There are many people yarning OMG she is in NY, there are so many naijas there. Do y'all have any idea how big NY is? NY has 5 boroughs with naijas living in the different boroughs. I have lived in NY for quite a few yrs and there are some boroughs I have still not been to.

Anyway, without talking too much, I am already exploring the close family member angle and we are planning a trip to a state that has a high concentration of our people. I will continue to pray and soonest God will lead the right man to me or me to him.

@Bolded and after venting your frustration in NL you were given back a truck full of frustration by NLs. typical you reap what you sow.
I pity OP obviously she didnt read much of NL threads to know the kind of response she would have gotten.
If you had not mentioned about ur financial status or said things that made guys here feel insulted, you would have gotten better suggestions. Most of those that derailed your thread and mocked you could have given you better advice if they had not felt insulted. Bet me thats what you see in real life when you mean Nigerian men, i guess you have not met much of them cause if you have, you would have choosen your words carefully.
BTW career women are not fun, they just have money. Nigerian men want fun fun fun. They can marry a career woman and have a fun concubine. Or are you fun??
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by olaboy1: 2:59pm On Jul 07, 2012
Acidtalk, we know what she wrote and what she didn't write, but a lot of us have chosen to address an overlap of what she didn't write but actually meant, not that we were second guessing her, but rather using hard talk to help her check mate her wants. Whilst she was replying most of the comments, I could perceive her jingoistic arrogance in most of her blinkered and selective views. We have a lot of naija guys marrying sistas without any job or foreseeable income and still cater for her extended family without batting an eye lid. The world's economy is crashing everyday and people are been thrown out of jobs. My wife's company downsized and she lost her job but was placed on unemployment benefit for one year that has since elapsed, fortunately for us i got an extra job "work from home" as a data analyst along side my daily 8 hours, were i work only one hour daily to mine data sent to me electronically.

I don't have anything against Desari in general. I have certain issues with individuals or aspects of their thinking formation of course just as I have with any other logical arguments. My point was and is to address the ridiculous nature of hinging one's entire happiness on finding a partner on same financial platform. Desari was trying to work out a financial quota where she can have a partner with equal spending ability not minding the income volume (in the reality of life any such quota would be so subjective as to make it largely nonsensical....A ≠ B, you gat to go through other variables to get to D, a great lesson I have learnt)

I am not dismissing finance as relevant, but the OP's attempt to use it to support her cause as a strong criterion will get her nobody to bring anything to the table.

Live your life naturally without those stringent rules and the right naija broda will walk into your life naturally and in some few years may end up earning higher than you
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by uzoexcel(m): 3:14pm On Jul 07, 2012
Mynd_44: Hi I am mynd_44 and I like studying patterns. This pattern looks very familiar and you know how they say two triangle are similar if that have two sides and one angle equal.
I don't know about y'all but it should not be hard to realise that the OP= fuckherlord. This babe just wants the attention. Perhaps she was not hugged enough as a growing child or she is just messed up
does d 44 on ur profile name show ur age or ur senility level...she s discussin an issue and if u dnt understand it or itz 2 complex 4 u, then shut ur trap & move on.....bomboclakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk embarassed
Mynd_44: Hi I am mynd_44 and I like studying patterns. This pattern looks very familiar and you know how they say two triangle are similar if that have two sides and one angle equal.
I don't know about y'all but it should not be hard to realise that the OP= fuckherlord. This babe just wants the attention. Perhaps she was not hugged enough as a growing child or she is just messed up
does d 44 on ur profile name show ur age or ur senility level...she s discussin an issue and if u dnt understand it or itz 2 complex 4 u, then shut ur trap & move on..try & shw som maturity...bomboclakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by uzoexcel(m): 3:24pm On Jul 07, 2012
cheesy cheesy wink wink
2mch: I think logica wants Desari. He is desperately looking for her attention. H finally got it. Take the stage man. Stop doing primary school tactics. Just leave your email. grin grin grin cheesy
i concur....i used dz tactic in primary sch....so totally recognise it..... wink
2mch: I think logica wants Desari. He is desperately looking for her attention. H finally got it. Take the stage man. Stop doing primary school tactics. Just leave your email. grin grin grin cheesy
i concur....i used dz tactic in primary sch....so totally recognise it.....
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by uzoexcel(m): 3:38pm On Jul 07, 2012
desari: @find out

I know there are many decent akata and oyinbos but it is so much different dating a nigerian man. I can feel free to watch my yoruba movies, without him asking me questions all the time about what they are saying (if there are no subitles) i can feel free to cook my ila asepo with all sorts of assorted meat, stock fish and iru( without the person thinking it is stinky) I can feel free to cook my egusi and efo riro without any weird comments. I can discuss business proposals with a naija man in a way that a oyinbo man or akata man will never understand. we can discuss naija politics e.t.c it is just so much sweeter being with a nigerian in my opinion.

I have had a few oyinbos promising me cars, houses, anything i wanted if i would marry them, but i just can't see myself saying "till death do us part" with a oyinbo/akata man.
i think i understand wat u sayn concernin d 'datn d yoruba guy' levelz....bt i will urge u 2 broaden ur search and ur horizon 2 datn guyz 4rm other naija tribes...it can b fun, u knw..durin ma sec yearsin ibadan,i lived wid d family of a catholic delta man who was married 2 a Benue woman(muslm but converted 2 catholicsm) and i can tell u that i have never seen a happier home compared to dz family..my last gurlfrd (b4 she passed away durin d Jos crisis) was an hausa muslim i met in d north while servin and even though she s no more here, i will still cherish d time i had/spent wid her....d culture clash was pretttty much but we dddnt allow that bother us...i toook interest in her language/food type/culture/native songz and she did d same 4 mine;it was fun while it lasted....concernind finance levelz,u dnt reallly v 2 wait 4 a guy that can match u money-4-money but u can get a guy wid prospects,good focus and knwz what he wantz in life...u may meet som1 who s rich bt what if circumstances change 4 him, will u run away?...goodluck in ur search....bestiez
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by LordReed(m): 3:53pm On Jul 07, 2012
tpia@:
Open mindedness isnt only about dating- dont know why this is commonly the only context in which it's mentioned.

And you are the best example of open mindedness huh?
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by 2mch(m): 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2012
Lord_Reed:

And you are the best example of open mindedness huh?

grin grin grin

Have you asked tpiah to give you a try and she refused?
Leave tpiah o, I like her quick wit, trolling ability, and assertiveness. smiley.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by LordReed(m): 4:09pm On Jul 07, 2012
2mch:

grin grin grin

Have you asked tpiah to give you a try and she refused?
Leave tpiah o, I like her quick wit, trolling ability, and assertiveness. smiley.

tpia doesn't need a man, she happy the way she is au naturiel lol
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by desari: 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2012
@ekt bear, thanks for your advice. I am more than reasonably good looking, i am just not fortunate to be around nigerians in my line of work. As you have noted, my catholic church has very few black people; everytime i attend mass, the black people in church number between 3 and 5...never more than that. I think attending a few RCCG services are in order tongue

@Braveheart: Great advice as well. I don't live a flashy lifestyle at all for the reasons you mentioned and its just not part of my personality to put myself out there like that. I also know that living a flashy lifestyle will only attract the wrong people. At this point, i have even become evasive about telling people what i do.
Instead of being a spend thrift, I invest my money, shop for the things i need, enjoy fine dining in NYC, take my mom on vacations a few times a year and save towards retirement.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 07, 2012
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by eprynce(m): 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2012
@poster

everything about your mannerism oozes the exact opposite of the 'good' qualities you claim to possess. shocked
See, no reasonable naija guy will take you seriously...abi, guys, no be so?
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by t2luv: 6:25pm On Jul 07, 2012
desari: @hotshot_peter

Nah, definitely not a gold digger...just want someone who can bring as much to the table as i do. Of couse it is not all about money, but there is no way i am taking care of a grown a.s.s man.

Thanks for your civility, i wish you good luck as well in all your future endeavours.

Hi. How are you doing. What state are you in if you don't mind me asking. What income earning range you have in mind.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by billyG(m): 6:42pm On Jul 07, 2012
you are d problem why you cannot find a man to marry,you are d one desperately wanting a husband,you are the someone giving all sort of conditions,he must be financially buoyant independent b/c yu don't want 2 share your money with a man,he must be of certain age,from certain tribe,he must be catholic ,my friend you are still not ready 4 married keep on searching. grin
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by Bontee: 8:24pm On Jul 07, 2012
Marriage should never be about financial level but means of livelihood that can give the family a comfortable lifestyle. Goodluck finding a man at your financial level and surely take the advice given to you here seriously.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by AzaMontana(f): 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2012
hey poster.hun i dnt think u shud cum to nairaland for me.yo action has got desparation written all over it n u mentioning finance is bad bcoz u wil only attract bad boys.hav patience n knw dat da right man wil come to u wereva u r.u dnt need to advertise yoself for men to find u baby n plz dnt eva mention finance again anywer u go
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by FindOut(m): 10:10pm On Jul 07, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Yes...there are. wink

Lol. Or did Mrs. Chima meet Mr. Chima i d US?lol
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by francis247(m): 5:14am On Jul 08, 2012
amosy007:
well said. Not every guy gives a capital "F" abt money.. Even most naija guys prefer to be d man in a marriage
as if that's not how it ought to be in the first place.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by aktunde(m): 7:47am On Jul 08, 2012
@poster

I know there are many decent akata and oyinbos but it is so much different dating a nigerian man. I can feel free to watch my yoruba movies, without him asking me questions all the time about what they are saying (if there are no subitles) i can feel free to cook my ila asepo with all sorts of assorted meat, stock fish and iru( without the person thinking it is stinky) I can feel free to cook my egusi and efo riro without any weird comments. I can discuss business proposals with a naija man in a way that a oyinbo man or akata man will never understand. we can discuss naija politics e.t.c it is just so much sweeter being with a nigerian in my opinion.

I have had a few oyinbos promising me cars, houses, anything i wanted if i would marry them, but i just can't see myself saying "till death do us part" with a oyinbo/akata man.

I'm sorry to say, the only sense I make from page 1 to 7 of your thread are those food you mentioned there. I am missing those food seriously. Others are blah-blah blah to me...sorry to say. I am a Yoruba boy right here with you in the US. 4 hours away from you. Please when next are you preparing those food? Abeg invite me next time. I would not mind driving that distance. Abeg I no dey earn 6 figure ooo.... So, let me know if you cannot invite me because of my income. But if you don't mind, just email me. Na that food matter to me pass...the rest na story or mere fantasy. When reality dawn on you, you go know how far. just add @yahoo.com to my user name on nairaland. That would give you my full email address.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by normaljenny(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2012
My sister if u can't find a man then I guess u will have to go for deliverance. Maybe try SCOAN (t.b. Synagogue) that I believe will be a gateway to ur breakthrough

desari: Nairalanders,

I am a career woman in my late 20's living in the U.S. It has been almost impossible for me to meet good Nigerian men much less Nigerian men at my financial level. As you all know the U.S is very big; i generally don't hang out with Nigerians..not that i don't want to, i just don't know where and how to go about meeting up with my people. When i do go out to naija lounges or clubs in my area, all i find are little kids playing around or 419ers( which i would rather remain single than have anything to do with them). I have tried the church avenue, but i am catholic, and catholic churches in the U.S are much different from naija catholic churches. I live in NYC, so anyone that can give me pointers on where to meet eligible professional Naija men would be great.

I have been very blessed and fortunate in my chosen career, and i would want a partner that can pull his own weight financially in a relationship. Though i have accepted that i would most likely do much better than a potential partner, i can never respect a man that would find it hard to give me money to cook food in the house and take care of some bills, instead of assuming i will take care of it since i make much more. Akatas and white men chase me all day, but i would rather settle down with a Nigerian man(preferably yoruba) i am half yoruba and half something elsesmiley I grew up in naija, so i speak yoruba and can cook naija food well well.

Let me add that i am well mannered and come from a great family. Guys and girls, if you have single brothers who are financially stable, between 29 and 35 years old looking to settle down, please IM me. Thanks!
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by queensmith: 11:34am On Jul 08, 2012
erm why are u looking for a nigerian man?
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by mamalola19: 1:26pm On Jul 08, 2012
queensmith: erm why are u looking for a nigerian man?

can you marry a white man yourself?
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by D10000: 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2012
Hi,I actually feel you on the topic. Basically I'm also looking for a woman who I can feel the buzz for and just concentrate on her. If you dont't mind hook me up.davidchike2@yahoo.com. Intellect is what I'm after.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 08, 2012
D10000: Hi,I actually feel you on the topic. Basically I'm also looking for a woman who I can feel the buzz for and just concentrate on her. If you dont't mind hook me up.davidchike2@yahoo.com. Intellect is what I'm after.
Lol. We believe you.
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by ye2nday(f): 8:45pm On Jul 08, 2012
i love your comment and i will like to know you better,wud like to know your problems so that in order to find solution to them i know that people wut understand why i'm writing this but to candit wit you we need to relate ok. this my ID on FB ookunfeyijimi@yahoo.com
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 10, 2012
desari: @ekt bear, thanks for your advice. I am more than reasonably good looking, i am just not fortunate to be around nigerians in my line of work. As you have noted, my catholic church has very few black people; everytime i attend mass, the black people in church number between 3 and 5...never more than that. I think attending a few RCCG services are in order tongue

@Braveheart: Great advice as well. I don't live a flashy lifestyle at all for the reasons you mentioned and its just not part of my personality to put myself out there like that. I also know that living a flashy lifestyle will only attract the wrong people. At this point, i have even become evasive about telling people what i do.
Instead of being a spend thrift, I invest my money, shop for the things i need, enjoy fine dining in NYC, take my mom on vacations a few times a year and save towards retirement.

why dont we communicate privately ,, i m single guy here in Nigeria ,, you can add me on my Facebook anytime.or u can send me an email if you have Skype it would be fine also send me an email ruemu77@gmail.com let set d ball rolling by getting acquainted
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by denzel2009: 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
ye2nday: i love your comment and i will like to know you better,wud like to know your problems so that in order to find solution to them i know that people wut understand why i'm writing this but to candit wit you we need to relate ok. this my ID on FB ookunfeyijimi@yahoo.com

Is Desari a carpet muncher?
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by queensmith: 9:15pm On Jul 16, 2012
mamalola19: that is a question? What's wrong with white men? Kmt
That
can you marry a white man yourself?
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 16, 2012
^^^she's back !!
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by SAFO(m): 11:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
Good ol' nairaland. I see things haven't changed much. grin
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by queensmith: 5:59am On Jul 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^she's back !!
lol- its the rubbish nigerian internet! Seriously how do people survive in this country! Lol
Re: Why Is It Almost Impossible To Meet Nigerian Men At My Financial Level? by kandiikane(m): 9:01am On Jul 17, 2012
I like the op, sha. A woman who knows what she wants but I will tell you to broaden your horizen a bit. Time waits for no man, Ýóu can't wait for a nigerian or yoruba man forever.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Valid Reasons Why Nigerian Men Date Fat Women / Another Nigerian Girl Shares After Sex Photo With Boyfriend, Says "I Love Him" / Meet IGBO Girl With Thick Thighs Causing Commotion With Her Massive Hips And Bum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.