Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,038 members, 7,956,866 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:02 PM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (15517 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 8:05pm On Jul 19, 2012
Freiburger: @ cudlemii did you received my mail?

No, I did not.

Tgirl4real:

I will suggest a separate thread for the debate proper. This is already getting too long. If not, only the judges and debaters will show up. cheesy

Obviously! This thread was just for planning & preparations.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by freecocoa(f): 10:15pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: So enough cinema has been on and here I was thinking e'body is just registering names and taking seats waiting for tomorrow.
[s]Make I no lie, I like wetin una do Tpia. Maybe if we keep ignoring her like this, she would stop being antagonistic[/s]
Choi grin grin,

I been think say na only me see am.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
Good responses guys, it seems option two is popular, one one thing remains to be sorted out. How many topics are we talking about? Would all sets of two debate about the same topic from beginning till the end? so if we have four pairs are you guys saying you would prefer to hear the same argument over and over again 4 times?
Another thing that is paramount is the appetite of readers and judges alike, are the judges willing to do this for as long as it would take?

As a modified option 1 how about tag teams! two people for the motion and two against less people to manage and more fun. Reduces elimination time and process by half.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Sagamite(m): 10:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Bros, which are one u dey do? Are u for or against?

Aunty, I need the 6th rules to be part of the rules before I can join. It is really critical.

Chrisbenogor:

grin grin grin na that broom setup those lagosians as rain begin fall dem nor see umblerra again.

That's the problem with rules, who then decides the argument is killed? For instance I can be arguing with you now even when I know you have killed it, I can continue to quote and waste all the time in the world but it comes down to say bros david to say yo chris shut it! grin grin grin

Anyways lets hold on to that, when the final structure is released and you see the pattern I am sure you will understand why that rule will not be needed.

That is the kind of shyt I want to avoid.

There are 5 judges, one will draw their attention to the funeral of the person I am debating with's argument and they will vote.

There will be a 24 hour quorum, any judge not present to vote or not voting on the funeral within 24 hours will have their vote count discarded.

The majority vote of the judges will be the decider if I should say "ashes to ashes" or whether I am performing a vivisepulture.

AHHH! RONKE! MO TI GBE GRAMMAR DE O! (I don bring the grammars) grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Sagamite(m): 11:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
Chrisbenogor: Dear All,

So we have worked hard and come up with the rules which you have seen (and hopefully liked wink ) and we are almost done with everything. Having learned the lesson of listening for opinions in order to make this better we are coming up with two options and would like debaters and readers alike to choose which they would prefer.

Option 1 Debate as a Team
Debating as a team and meeting to strategise, we allow each team a chance to post something for each round, the choice of who and content of post goes to the team. They can either choose to streamline their posts in each round for potency or they can allow an individual total control over one round, each round would be unique and there would chance for members to pose rebuttals but the main thing is what ever they do represents their team. This ends a round for the judges/audience to judge and score points for the team.

At the end of the rounds the points would be tallied. The rounds would then be tallied along with votes by the audience and a winning team emerges.
This would give one single clean debate on one topic and involve everyone albeit in different capacities.
All posts will be given words limit.

Option 2 Debate as individuals
Rather than working debating as a team and meeting to strategise, we allow each debater post his argument for or against the topic, give room for all to read through , then allow each debater to post a rebuttals to any or as many of the opposing views. After that we then allow each debater to defend the rebuttals against him/his views. This ends a round for the judges/audience to judge and score points.

Those with the highest point will proceed to the next stage during which the judges will throw new questions in line with the topic to all participants and we follow the same process until the final round

The debaters will be given words limit.

As always your ideas are welcome.

On behalf of debate organizers.

Individuals, mate.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:35pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sagamite:

Aunty, I need the 6th rules to be part of the rules before I can join. It is really critical.

That is the kind of shyt I want to avoid.

There are 5 judges, one will draw their attention to the funeral of the person I am debating with's argument and they will vote.

There will be a 24 hour quorum, any judge not present to vote or not voting on the funeral within 24 hours will have their vote count discarded.

The majority vote of the judges will be the decider if I should say "ashes to ashes" or whether I am performing a vivisepulture.

AHHH! RONKE! MO TI GBE GRAMMAR DE O! (I don bring the grammars) grin grin grin grin grin grin
Alright point taken, this would be passed on to the judges. Jarus and panel of judges please comment on this ASAP.

Option 2 wins, anyone with an objection speak now.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by OAM4J: 1:53am On Jul 20, 2012
Thank you all for your patience. Here is the structure for option 2:

Debate Structure:

There will be 3 rounds and the whole process should last 2 hrs and maximum of 3 hrs

We propose that the debate should start by 6pm Nigeria time

Depending on the final number of participants that show up:

First round will include 14 participants
Second Round will include 8 participants
Third/Final Round will include 4 participants

Round 1

Exactly 6pm the debate thread will be opened, we will supply the link on this thread.

We expect each participant to have composed his arguments before 6pm, so all the participants are to post their arguments between 6.00pm and 6.10pm

Between 6:10 and 6:25pm, all participants are to pick at least 1 opposing participant and oppose/rebut his arguments.

*The chairman will signal the beginning of each stage
*No member of the audience will be allowed to post between 6pm and 6:25pm
*Any post from the audience will be hid at this time

From 6:25 – 6:40 Audience are now allowed to post and can comment on the arguments of the participants, while the judges scores each participant

Each of the judges will mail his/her scores of all the participants to the chairman who will collate the scores and post the final scores on the thread latest by 6: 45

Only the Top 8 candidates will proceed to the next round

Round 2

Round 2 will start by 6:50

Between 6:50 and 7:10 the top 8 candidates will at this time defend/react to as many rebuttals as possible from the previous round

Again
*No member of the audience will be allowed to post between 6:50 and 7:10pm

From 7:10 – 7:20 Audience are again allowed to post and comment on the arguments of the participants, while the judges scores each participant again and the chairman will again collate all the scores and post the final score on the thread latest by 7: 25

The top four candidates will proceed to the final round

The final 4 contestants will be paired even if they are arguing on the same side

Final Round

Final round starts by 7:30

From 7:30 – 7:40, any of the judges can post questions for any of the participants; also each opposing pair will post questions for his opposing pair

7:40 – 8.00: The final four are to respond to all the questions asked and freely exchange banter with each other and with any other participants in the final four (This is the climax, and we may give more time if need be)

And Again
*No member of the audience will be allowed to post between 7:30 – 8:00pm

From 8:00 Audience are again allowed to post and be part of the polls that will be set up for the final 4 participants, while the judges also send in their final scores for all the participants.

The chairman will collate the final scores from the judges and post, also at the end of the 20min poll, the % for each candidate on the poll will be divided into 2 and added to the judges’ scores to determine the final positions of the top 4 participants

Judging:
There will be 5 judges
Each judge can score a participant maximum of 10points at each round
Each participant can score a maximum of 50points in the 1st and 2nd round and 100points in the final round (maximum of 50 points from the judges and maximum of 50 points from the audience poll)

Words Limit:
Maximum of 1000 words for each participant post at any time.

Good luck to all participants, you can start preparing now. cool
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 2:10am On Jul 20, 2012
ATTENTION

Please all the Judges and Participants should forward their email addresses to nairalandjudges@yahoo.com.
Sometimes the NL pm services messes up, I will need to get your scores on time to post cos we wont have much time in between.
There needs to be a smooth means of communication between me and the Judges/Participants.
No need to fret, this is highly Confidential!
Thanks!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Odunnu: 5:23am On Jul 20, 2012
See how i'm about to miss this show. I'll have to use my phone all the way.
The timing for me is wrong for a weekend.
[s]na almost by this time I dey go set trap for any available maga[/s]
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by dabrake(m): 7:25am On Jul 20, 2012
please, weekend won't be on point for me. modem subscription don exhaust. abeg. make e be monday as I go need post from office.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Jarus(m): 8:05am On Jul 20, 2012
Guidelines digested.
Email sent to Cuddlemii.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 20, 2012
There's light at the end of the tunnel? Whoa
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Afam4eva(m): 9:21am On Jul 20, 2012
Hasn't the debate started already?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 10:22am On Jul 20, 2012
Pataki: Oh wow!

7 pages and still trending, yet no point 'for' or 'against' the topic has been raised.

OK, I will be back.

Hey u! Come back here.lol
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 10:25am On Jul 20, 2012
tpia@:
political topics should be debated in politics or general section if the mods cant patrol the thread.

this thread has nothing to do with literature despite literary being in the title.

but make una carry on- i already know i speak in greek.

I agree undecided

It's good though. Brings in more traffic.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 12:30pm On Jul 20, 2012
dabrake: please, weekend won't be on point for me. modem subscription don exhaust. abeg. make e be monday as I go need post from office.

We can only have it on Saturday! Are you still game?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ayox2003: 3:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
I'm in, I'm in, I'm rah rah!

Frawzey
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ayox2003: 3:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
ayox2003: I'm in, I'm in, I'm in rah rah!

Frawzey
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Freiburger(m): 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2012
cudlemii, is it going to be on Saturday ar on sunday?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
Freiburger: cudlemii, is it going to be on Saturday ar on sunday?

Saturday, 6pm Naija time.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Freiburger(m): 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2012
oops! i'm not sure i will be albe to make it at that time because of other commitments, but i'll get u informed b4 noon tomorrow if i ' will be withdrawing.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Roland17(m): 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
The quality of Handles debating tells me, we be would reading intelligent and hopefully mature comments devoid of hate and insults 2moro..
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Roland17(m): 7:09pm On Jul 20, 2012
Having carefully read through the guidelines and procedure for the debate, i must say am very impressed with cuddlemii and everyone involved in the planning of this debate, but i need some clarifications with regards to Round 1 of the debates..

(1) Would there be a sequence for submiting papers? or would participating debaters submit their arguments all at once, if the latter is the case, am worried there would be too much information on display at once for judges..

(2) Lastly, if participating debaters are allowed to pick opponents for rebuttals it might end up lobsided as some debaters might pick interest in a particular opposing argument, i would suggest the plannning crew pitch contestants against each other based on the side of coin they support, thus they are aware of their opponents and do not have to scramble for one opposing argument.

Good Job guys..

Looking forward to 2moro.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by OAM4J: 8:28pm On Jul 20, 2012
Roland17: Having carefully read through the guidelines and procedure for the debate, i must say am very impressed with cuddlemii and everyone involved in the planning of this debate, but i need some clarifications with regards to Round 1 of the debates..

(1) Would there be a sequence for submiting papers? or would participating debaters submit their arguments all at once, if the latter is the case, am worried there would be too much information on display at once for judges..

(2) Lastly, if participating debaters are allowed to pick opponents for rebuttals it might end up lobsided as some debaters might pick interest in a particular opposing argument, i would suggest the plannning crew pitch contestants against each other based on the side of coin they support, thus they are aware of their opponents and do not have to scramble for one opposing argument.

Good Job guys..

Looking forward to 2moro.

1. They will all submit at the same time withing a frame of time. The Judges will be given enough time to read through.

2. We thought same, so we resolved that we will do the pairing when the time comes.

Thanks.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by violent(m): 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
I would encourage OP to lift the restriction on the use of words such as "idiotic", "moronic", "silly", “cretin”, “dimwit” etc. In my opinion, there are are often times when these words are not intended as an insult but a genuine reflection of the opinion presented.

It also appears that females are largely underrepresented on the list of the debaters. I wouldn't imagine that this is an intentional omission, except of course in the bizarre case where OP strongly believes that there isn't a single female on this forum that is capable of making a strong reasonable articulate argument.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 10:40pm On Jul 20, 2012
^ Your argument for inclusion of women is almost flawless. However, let's roll with this tomorrow and see what lessons we can learn from the process.

The Chief Organiser is a woman and one of the judges is a woman, let us just say the women involved in this process are powerful including those that are in the reading panel or is it audience.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by chucky234(m): 10:07am On Jul 21, 2012
Here we are,the D-day for the political showdown we all have been waiting for.
Audience keep the time and make sure you take you sit inside the main auditorium at the scheduled time,thank you all as you join us to make this day a fun filled day for Nlanders around the world.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by cheddarking(m): 10:21am On Jul 21, 2012
Really looking forward to reading sagamite's 'inteligent' comments...
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Abbey2sam(m): 10:31am On Jul 21, 2012
i fink i'm liking this already,can i be one of the judges ?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by MissyB3(f): 10:37am On Jul 21, 2012
violent:
I would encourage OP to lift the restriction on the use of words such as "idiotic", "moronic", "silly", “cretin”, “dimwit” etc. In my opinion, there are are often times when these words are not intended as an insult but a genuine reflection of the opinion presented.

It also appears that females are largely underrepresented on the list of the debaters. I wouldn't imagine that this is an intentional omission, except of course in the bizarre case where OP strongly believes that there isn't a single female on this forum that is capable of making a strong reasonable articulate argument.

It was earlier stated that it's a deliberate omission.

4. No harsh wording.
a. Words like "idiotic", "moronic", "silly", “cretin”, “dimwit” etc are not welcome here. You can debate without being inflammatory.
b. *NOTE: The words in quotations are an example only and not to be taken literally.
You put Sagamite on the list of debaters and prohibit the use of the abovementioned words? This is going to be more interesting than I thought. cheesy Sagamite darling, yes, you can! grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 21, 2012
Where the hell is my thinking cap.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Sagamite(m): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2012
cheddarking: Really looking forward to reading sagamite's 'inteligent' comments...

Please put your name forward for the list of debaters and let me select you as the person I want to debate with.

Come on! Do it!

I drop the gauntlet!

Don't wait to read my intelligence, experience it.

Come on, put your name forward! Don't be a coward!

I dare you.

I dare your father, your mother and the whole line of your ancestors.

Volunteer and put your name forward, don't disgrace them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

How To Pass A Failed Test- A Short Comedy Story / The Inheritance(a Thrilling Romance Story)by Rose Akpabio / Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.