Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,265 members, 7,954,033 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:11 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (15507 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 3:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
RULES

1. All Nairaland Forum rules should be strictly adhered to. Extreme profanity or constant use of mild profanity is strictly prohibited. Debaters MUST NOT incite any form of criminal offence. This includes but is not limited to, threat of violence and incitement to RELIGIOUS and TRIBALISTIC hatred.

2. No personal attacks on other members would be permitted; debaters SHOULD NOT resort to personal abuse or harassment only comments relating to the subject being debated will be tolerated. Do not attack your fellow debaters! Specifically, members SHOULD address the argument and not the poster. Do not let them bait you into a rule breaking reply, if you feel you have been personally attacked call the attention of the Moderator to it so that it can be treated accordingly.

3. Do not assume that opposing teams are personally attacking you. Tone is difficult to interpret online especially in a debate setting.

4. No harsh wording.
a. Words like "idiotic", "moronic", "stupid", “cretin”, “dimwit” etc are not welcome here. You can debate without being inflammatory.
b. *NOTE: The words in quotations are an example only and not to be taken literally.

5. Word limits should be strictly adhered to.

Lastly, this is not another avenue to vent; we intend to rationally discuss topics of interest. If you feel yourself getting upset by a comment...take a step back and let other members of take over. Passion is great but don't let it get out of hand.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by tpia5: 3:26pm On Jul 19, 2012
Lmao.

This seun's site, na wa.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 3:33pm On Jul 19, 2012
OAM4J: Enough of this already.

na wa for you o. Your will be iyawo will need to be drinking a lot of "omi suuru".

I agree but once she understands my persona, there will be no problems. grin

OAM4J:
Anyways, am working with her now on this. She didn't drop your name out of spite. The aim is to have all those who are seriously willing to debate in her initial list, then give room for few more others who are not in her list but willing to participate.

If you are still interested say so, we will have your name back, if not its ok, you are welcome among our powerful audience.

@all

We are putting finishing touches to the structure/modalities and considering all your suggestions here. We will communicate them to you soon.

This debate will succeed!

@bolded, God-willing. There are no hard feelings just re-aligning of crossed line.

@Cuddlemii, I am sorry that I was harsh. grin grin grin

I choose to be a reader/part of the audience.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 3:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
maclatunji:

@Cuddlemii, I am sorry that I was harsh. grin grin grin

I choose to be a reader/part of the audience.

Nonsense! Why did u give in so easily? grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Sagamite(m): 3:40pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:

Nna bros that was my first surprise. But the OP tried to explain he/she wanted to leave the field open to diverse opinions. to be honest though, i see the point... giving it to the political heavyweights only would not present us with anything new... they might as well just copy and paste their former posts.

Well said.

coogar:

they are not known in the politics section because many of them won't be caught dead engaging in a diatribe with the army of the bigoted lunatics in that section of nairaland. 99% of the regular posters in the politics section are flaming tribalists whose senses have been beclouded by the borders created by river niger and river benue!

Well said.

Cuddlemii: RULES

1. All Nairaland Forum rules should be strictly adhered to. Extreme profanity or constant use of mild profanity is strictly prohibited. Debaters MUST NOT incite any form of criminal offence. This includes but is not limited to, threat of violence and incitement to RELIGIOUS and TRIBALISTIC hatred.

2. No personal attacks on other members would be permitted; debaters SHOULD NOT resort to personal abuse or harassment only comments relating to the subject being debated will be tolerated. Do not attack your fellow debaters! Specifically, members SHOULD address the argument and not the poster. Do not let them bait you into a rule breaking reply, if you feel you have been personally attacked call the attention of the Moderator to it so that it can be treated accordingly.

3. Do not assume that opposing teams are personally attacking you. Tone is difficult to interpret online especially in a debate setting.

4. No harsh wording.
a. Words like "idiotic", "moronic", "stupid", “cretin”, “dimwit” etc are not welcome here. You can debate without being inflammatory.
b. *NOTE: The words in quotations are an example only and not to be taken literally.

Lastly, this is not another avenue to vent; we intend to rationally discuss topics of interest. If you feel yourself getting upset by a comment...take a step back and let other members of take over. Passion is great but don't let it get out of hand.

You have to add a 6th rule:

6. Accept a defeated point and stop using it.
a. No sticking to a point that you cannot defend and that has been killed.
b. No resorting to "exceptions" when making generic assumptions and grasping at straws with it.

Judges should watch out for this and be the ones to rule on it.

That is critical to a debate and fundamental to my participation. Especially since rule 4 is obviously a PDP attempt to block my flow. grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 3:40pm On Jul 19, 2012

I like that cheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Did you really get taken in by maclatunji's phony use of smileys? grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 3:46pm On Jul 19, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Joker!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by coogar: 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2012

4. No harsh wording.

without swear words and profanity, i tend to struggle to bring my A-game. the panel of judges should please allow some subtle profanity. it spices up the shebang. for fuck's sake, where is the beauty of penmanship without the "f" word?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 3:48pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:

Did you really get taken in by maclatunji's phony use of smileys? grin

Hmmmm . . . I think not. Once bitten (abi na beaten grin). . . . lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 3:48pm On Jul 19, 2012
coogar:

without swear words and profanity, i tend to struggle to bring my A-game.
the panel of judges should please allow some subtle profanity. it spices up
the shebang. for fuck's sake, where is the beauty of
penmanship without the "f" word?

Can u please translate in English grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 3:50pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sagamite:

b. No resorting to "exceptions" when making generic assumptions and grasping at straws with it.

That is critical to a debate and fundamental to my participation. Especially since rule 4 is obviously a PDP attempt to block my flow. grin

hehehehe

They got u where they wanted grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sagamite:

Well said.

Well said.

You have to add a 6th rule:

Falls from night school bench lwkmd grin grin

As for the 6th rule, is that not the whole aim of the debate? Our esteemed judges should be able to catch anyone doing this, at least lets leave that for teams who want to waste their time.
The whole template would be rolled out including how the judges would be ruling.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
ACTIVE DEBATERS

Dabrake---------- Negative
Apocalypse------- Negative
Mrbrownjay------- Negative
Breezy047-------- Negative
Newacca---------- Negative
Sagamite--------- Negative
Orikinla--------- Affirmative
Chucky234-------- Affirmative
Coogar----------- Affirmative
Shymmex---------- Affirmative
Cheddarking------ Affirmative
St.Okolie-------- Undecided
Freiburger------- Undecided
Debosky---------- Undecided
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by freecocoa(f): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Can u please translate in English grin
Let me help,he's simply saying that it will look like he has nothing to offer without some of those swear words,that they make his game thick grin.

I knew that rule was going to be a problem,quite frankly if such words were to be banned on here,then many of us will not appear so tough wink.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2012
coogar:

without swear words and profanity, i tend to struggle to bring my A-game. the panel of judges should please allow some subtle profanity. it spices up the shebang. for fuck's sake, where is the beauty of penmanship without the "f" word?
I don't believe that man I know you can, sure they make it spicy but you know not everyone can take a joke wink wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Sagamite(m): 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2012
Tgirl4real:

hehehehe

They got u where they wanted grin

Chrisbenogor:
Falls from night school bench lwkmd grin grin

As for the 6th rule, is that not the whole aim of the debate? Our esteemed judges should be able to catch anyone doing this, at least lets leave that for teams who want to waste their time.
The whole template would be rolled out including how the judges would be ruling.

I have my broom!

ACN forever! grin grin grin grin

The 6th rule has to be explicitly there. I am not wasting my time on "I no go carry last in public" debaters while I have a rule 4 holding me back.

If your argument is killed, you can't defend it or is shown not to be rock solid, just shut it and move on.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
Gentiejag: Mods levels...@tgirl4real...i see u.

@cuddlemii...pele dearie..sho gbo? Dnt let 'em get to u...d debate must hold dis weekend weda d bad beles of nairaland like it or not!

O ma shele, eni ti o ba faramo, ko jowo ko lo ko si odo.

O se my dear. so wa pa sa?

How did u knw I understood Yoruba?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
there are many ways to circumvent rule 4.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 4:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sagamite:

I have my broom!

The 6th rule has to be explicitly there. I am not wasting my time on "I no go carry last in public" debaters while I have a rule 4 holding me back.

If your argument is killed, you can't defend it or is shown not to be rock solid, just shut it and move on.

Bros, which are one u dey do? Are u for or against?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sagamite:

I have my broom!

grin grin grin na that broom setup those lagosians as rain begin fall dem nor see umblerra again.

That's the problem with rules, who then decides the argument is killed? For instance I can be arguing with you now even when I know you have killed it, I can continue to quote and waste all the time in the world but it comes down to say bros david to say yo chris shut it! grin grin grin

Anyways lets hold on to that, when the final structure is released and you see the pattern I am sure you will understand why that rule will not be needed.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by OAM4J: 4:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cuddlemii: ACTIVE DEBATERS

Dabrake---------- Negative
Apocalypse------- Negative
Mrbrownjay------- Negative
Breezy047-------- Negative
Newacca---------- Negative
Orikinla--------- Affirmative
Chucky234-------- Affirmative
Coogar----------- Affirmative
Shymmex---------- Affirmative
St.Okolie-------- Undecided
High Chief------- Undecided
Freiburger------- Undecided
Sagamite--------- Undecided
Debosky---------- Undecided

We have these 14 people who have clearly shown interest to be part of the debate.

We are willing to accept more participants. Please if you wish to participate let us know on time.

We can only take maximum of 7 more.

Now we hope no one will accuse us of being godfathers again grin

The structure of the debate will be published soon

Thanks
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
OAM4J:

We have these 14 people who have clearly shown interest to be part of the debate.

We are willing to accept more participants. Please if you wish to participate let us know on time.

We can only take maximum of 7 more.

Now we hope no one will accuse us of being godfathers again grin

The structure of the debate will be published soon

Thanks

The list is too long already... 7 more people? How many arguments are we going to read before we get tired? grin

As long as you are adding more people... pls add Jarus. Another politically savvy dude.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:

The list is too long already... 7 more people? How many arguments are we going to read before we get tired? grin

As long as you are adding more people... pls add Jarus. Another politically savvy dude.

Ha ha! You are so good with recommendations. Won't you refer yourself for a change?
Don't you have the capability to handle a debate?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Jarus(m): 4:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
Tgirl4real: Na wa o. What is it with all the hidden posts everywhere angry
It's good you're not seeing them pls. I just viewed everything with my mod lens and chei, if they were not hidden, this debate podium may be hotter than House of Assembly ground on a money-sharing day.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by coogar: 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan: there are many ways to circumvent rule 4.

so many ways to circumvent that....but i guess it won't be needed anyways.
the debaters are attacking the issues not the person! i can work with that but
i still don't grasp what we are actually debating.

@ cuddlez,

how many words are we working with? 10,000 or 20,000? is this going to be a team thingy or one versus one ish. you need to be clear and concise about the rules, biko.
is there a prize at stake? money? a nice chic? return ticket to seychelles?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by freecocoa(f): 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
OAM4Cocoa,Abeg that 7 don do na.

you don't want people to get bored easily now do you?cheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by ronkebp(f): 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
@ Moderators, with the list of people you have there and the 7 more, you are looking to add, how are you going to eliminate guys that do not have strong points from both sides?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Ha ha! You are so good with recommendations. Won't you refer yourself for a change?
Don't you have the capacity to handle a debate?

I respectfully wish to remain a floor member as the topic is not one that really interests me.

But at least i can suggest those who i believe are knowledgeable enough to do justice to the topic at hand and Jarus is a very competent fellow.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
Jarus:
It's good you're not seeing them pls. I just viewed everything with my mod lens and chei, if they were not hidden, this debate podium may be hotter than House of Assembly ground on a money-sharing day.

She is a mod and can see them too. grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by coogar: 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
ronkebp: @ Moderators, with the list of people you have there and the 7 more, you are looking to add, how are you going to eliminate guys that do not have strong points from both sides?

public vote ---big brother africa style! grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
ronkebp: @ Moderators, with the list of people you have there and the 7 more, you are looking to add, how are you going to eliminate guys that do not have strong points from both sides?

maybe the mods shld just hide their posts. easy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How To Pass A Failed Test- A Short Comedy Story / The Inheritance(a Thrilling Romance Story)by Rose Akpabio / Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.