Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,399 members, 7,954,578 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:23 PM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (239093 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yemosla(m): 11:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
Tanks
cmax1.6:

I checked the vin number against the national insurance crime bureau website, www.nicb.org the vehicle has not been listed in the VINCheck Theft Record or Total loss record.

The NICB VINCheck database is made possible through the cooperation of participating NICB members. check the link bellow for participating members:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/special_thanks

Happy new year!

Cmax1.6 - kindly help wit d history of dis car VIN# WBAET37402NG70757 pls send to my mail ( adeyemiobabajide@yahoo.com) tanks a million.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yosmen: 12:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
can i use black oil in lieu of power steering oil for my beemer?mine is leaking oil,i ve changed d whole system yet still leaking.
i always buy new power steering oil evry week.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
You dont need to use black oil! Check your power steering pump for leakage, also check your steering rack...you have a leakage underneath somewhere, get under the car and check the lines/hoses for leakage...

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yosmen: 8:27pm On Jan 12, 2013
yungboss: You dont need to use black oil! Check your power steering pump for leakage, also check youe steering rack...you have a leakage underneath somewhere, get under the car and check the lines/hoses for leakage...
thanks sir,i have changed the entire system,d holes,pipes also tight d joints.yet its still leaking am nt sure d exact point.bt only see drippings.
whats d disadvantage of using black oil?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by cmax16: 5:08am On Jan 20, 2013
yemosla: Tanks

Cmax1.6 - kindly help wit d history of dis car VIN# WBAET37402NG70757 pls send to my mail ( adeyemiobabajide@yahoo.com) tanks a million.

You'v got mail. sorry for replying abit late. cheers.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:56pm On Feb 05, 2013
Please siena and other experts:
i have a '93 e36 320i, lately i have been having a need for more power to the wheels. The 320 isn't as torquey as the 325 and the 328 and power comes at a premium,when compared to the above mentioned models. I had planned to purchase another e36, irrespective of which ever between the 325 and the 328, this implies letting go of my much loved 320.
Questions: is it possible to replace the M50 engine in the 320 with the 328's M52? Or just dump in an M50 325...an instant gain of approx. 39bhp and 41lb-ft torque. Will i need to replace/extract sensitive components in order to house the M52 powerplant of 190bhp/206lb-ft torque...components like the getrag tranny, ECU, MAF etc.
The 325 looks easier to plug...without myriad complexities.
Or should i just get the desired vehicle and dispose of my beloved 320? Thanks all!
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 06, 2013
yosmen: thanks sir,i have changed the entire system,d holes,pipes also tight d joints.yet its still leaking am nt sure d exact point.bt only see drippings.
whats d disadvantage of using black oil?

If there are drips, then there is a leak, simple. Where abouts is the leak? As in how far under the front of the car are the drips?

You state you've replaced "the entire system", what exactly do you mean by this? All pipes? The rack? The vane pump?

As for "black oil", disadvantages of using that (whatever that means) in your power steering circuit, I'm not even going to respond to that. I'll let you figure that out for yourself.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 06, 2013
yungboss: Please siena and other experts:
i have a '93 e36 320i, lately i have been having a need for more power to the wheels. The 320 isn't as torquey as the 325 and the 328 and power comes at a premium,when compared to the above mentioned models. I had planned to purchase another e36, irrespective of which ever between the 325 and the 328, this implies letting go of my much loved 320.
Questions: is it possible to replace the M50 engine in the 320 with the 328's M52? Or just dump in an M50 325...an instant gain of approx. 39bhp and 41lb-ft torque. Will i need to replace/extract sensitive components in order to house the M52 powerplant of 190bhp/206lb-ft torque...components like the getrag tranny, ECU, MAF etc.
The 325 looks easier to plug...without myriad complexities.
Or should i just get the desired vehicle and dispose of my beloved 320? Thanks all!

Both the M50 / M52 blocks will bolt into your E36 chassis using the stock engine mounts. Both will also bolt up to your transmission. The M52 was coupled to a Getrag box, but you don't need to fit one. The M52 will bolt up to a stock auto or 5-speed manual. The M52 also had an LSD rear differential - again, not absolutely necessary.

Both the 325/328 will run on your 320 harness and ECU, though power will not be optimised. The 328 also ran dual VANOS, while I believe your 320 runs a single. The injectors in the 325/328 flow more than the stock 320's, the intake manifold is better too.

You may well run into immobiliser issues, if you decide to run the ECU's from your choice of engines. They can be coded to match your key, I'm not sure how that will work in Nigeria though - check before pulling the trigger on any purchase.

Personally? Seeing as the E36 came with these engines stock, I wouldn't bother with this swap, unless you're handy with spanners, and do your own wrenching. Paying a decent garage to do this will be expensive. If I were going to do a swap, I'd fit a bigger motor - a 4,4 V8 32V from an E39 540i.

Or you can work on your existing engine. Concentrate on removing restrictions, getting it to breathe better, by fitting a 325i intake. Head work can release up to 13 hp, again in Nigeria, that's a non-starter. Unless you decide to import a ported and polished head, I would leave it alone.

Selling your car, and buying a 1999 E36 325i/328i is an option, there are good bargains out there.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:58am On Feb 07, 2013
Siena:

Both the M50 / M52 blocks will bolt into your E36 chassis using the stock engine mounts. Both will also bolt up to your transmission. The M52 was coupled to a Getrag box, but you don't need to fit one. The M52 will bolt up to a stock auto or 5-speed manual. The M52 also had an LSD rear differential - again, not absolutely necessary.

Both the 325/328 will run on your 320 harness and ECU, though power will not be optimised. The 328 also ran dual VANOS, while I believe your 320 runs a single. The injectors in the 325/328 flow more than the stock 320's, the intake manifold is better too.

You may well run into immobiliser issues, if you decide to run the ECU's from your choice of engines. They can be coded to match your key, I'm not sure how that will work in Nigeria though - check before pulling the trigger on any purchase.

Personally? Seeing as the E36 came with these engines stock, I wouldn't bother with this swap, unless you're handy with spanners, and do your own wrenching. Paying a decent garage to do this will be expensive. If I were going to do a swap, I'd fit a bigger motor - a 4,4 V8 32V from an E39 540i.

Or you can work on your existing engine. Concentrate on removing restrictions, getting it to breathe better, by fitting a 325i intake. Head work can release up to 13 hp, again in Nigeria, that's a non-starter. Unless you decide to import a ported and polished head, I would leave it alone.

Selling your car, and buying a 1999 E36 325i/328i is an option, there are good bargains out there.
i'm so much grateful for your invaluable addition on this, i was really captured by your suggestion of fitting an e39 block in it, wow, that would be a fabulous car to operate if only it would be carried out with the perfect 'doctrineering' but here in Nigeria like you have said, this i doubt.
I'll weigh all the options before me, taking into consideration the ability to carry out 'the perfect swap', looking also at the cost benefits, and act in line with the most rewarding...thanks boss for your time.
But in fitting the V8 from the 540i, i guess i'll be needing matching brakes, will i also need a different cooling system and and a befitting exhaust to compliment the engine's output?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:58am On Feb 07, 2013
besides, its good to know the M62 in the e39 will sit properly in the e36
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 11:31pm On Feb 08, 2013
Billyonaire: Well, I do have a RRS but I didnt know X5 is better clone, I dont just like the look of X5. Its my personal opinion anyway.

Same with me here, i love BMW engine, i marvel at them, but i do not love their ride most especially their suv's , i prefer the range rover sport to the x5. In my own opinion, the x6 is a very cool ride but do not have the personality of the Range Rover sport, its just a cross over like honda cross tour, but better off in built , handling, and power
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yosmen: 9:33am On Feb 09, 2013
what features makes range sport better than,x6?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xcolanto(m): 1:09pm On Feb 11, 2013
yosmen: what features makes range sport better than,x6?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 1:23am On Feb 20, 2013
I've read a lot of user reviews on edmunds.com about maintenance wahala of bmw's but after driving my friends' coja some time back, I'm sold on getting a beema. I've whittled my options down to three choices, 1997, 2001 and 2004. All 3 series.
Please is there any advice I can be given on which of the models is more reliable and tokunbo prices ? Thank you
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2013
two generations across those years. One is more refined than the other
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
talktimi: I've read a lot of user reviews on edmunds.com about maintenance wahala of bmw's but after driving my friends' coja some time back, I'm sold on getting a beema. I've whittled my options down to three choices, 1997, 2001 and 2004. All 3 series.
Please is there any advice I can be given on which of the models is more reliable and tokunbo prices ? Thank you
are you looking at a 6 cyl bmw or a 4 cyl? There are many engines to choose from-
316i, 318i,320i,323i,325i,328i,330i...then you have the M3s of both generations. With the exclusion of the 16i and 18i, the others are 6-cylinder engines, I-6. The years you indicated cut across 2 generations: '97 to 98: have the e36 chassis and 1999 to 2005: have the e46 chassis. They were differently built. Personally i prefer the e36 to the e46 on account of the M50 engine, the iron block. Both engines are short stroke. The e46 has the revised M52 block. But the '96-98 328i and 323i had the M52 block and had a problem with the type of fuel used in certain parts of the world. They reacted to fuel with high sulpur content used in the US because of the material used for the cylinder bores/lining. Here in Nigeria,our petrol has about 4% of sulphur which is fairly low and useable by these cars. This issue with the earlier m52 engine was corrected in the later generation m52 of the bmw, the e46. This new engine was fitted with double vanos, had a better low end torque than its predecessor, the single-vanos M52 (vanos was used to improve the low end torque in these engines for better performance).
Watch out for radiator issues with these cars. I haven't had to fix overheating issues since i got both cars, they have been serving me well since purchased. The issue i had with my evap canister is not worth considering a big trouble to me.Radiator is plastic,research informs me that it will go out some day, but for now i have been lucky with it, considering its age- 1993.
My e36 320i vs my e46 323ci:
the e46 is weightier than the e36.
the e46 is more advanced in the interior than the e36, i prefer the location and display of the OBC in the e36...
the e46 is sportier (mine comes with the sports suspension)...i haven't had major issues with both so far...apart from an evap issue that was neither mechanical nor electrical (obtruction of a vacuum line)
The e46 is more beautiful, the e36 has a timeless beauty. The e36 is more sluggish on the low end (a much smaller 6cyl engine though).
The e46 is more rigid: less body roll around corners, very 'tail happy' too. The e36 'hugs' its driver (i'm 1.78m tall),someone as tall as ikenna wouldn't enjoy the sitting comfort of the e36...he would prefer the e46.
I think you should go for the e46, it will cost you more but you will enjoy it better as the engines were revised for better performance, but as for me the e36 (328i/25i and the M3) wins my heart. I love its rawness and less refinement, especially its exhaust note and the sound of its straight six engine. Its steering is not as light as the e46. You may also be working more on your ball joints and tie-rods, and steering pump. These aren't major concerns at all. Just replace with new and original parts and the car is good again. Other owners can also share their experience.

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 6:50pm On Feb 20, 2013
kindly note that i only mentioned about the m50 and m52 engines, the m43, n42 and n46 engines are also good. These engines are found in the 4cylinders. Cheap to run...low maintenance cost, but i'm not so familiar with them.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 7:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
^^^ Thanx boss, I'll make more research on your write up and the available vehicles in them, I'm more interested in ruggedity for now than aesthetics but I really appreciate your help.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 6:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
I've made up my mind on the 2001 M 3 coupe, does anyone know if it there's an auto tranny option ? And what's the estimated price in Nigeria/Cotonou ?

Just tell me this baby aint fine

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:09pm On Feb 21, 2013
talktimi: I've made up my mind on the 2001 M 3 coupe, does anyone know if it there's an auto tranny option ? And what's the estimated price in Nigeria/Cotonou ?

that may be a tall order for you bro...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:47pm On Feb 21, 2013
you may not easily find one for sale in nigeria, i doubt you will find one either in cotonou...the M3 is a very powerful car, with a blistering acceleration.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by doyin1985(m): 8:26pm On Feb 22, 2013
Good day house,pls.I drive an automatic 3series '01 model..I notice anytym I suddenly step on my car breaks,a lite shows on d dash board..and immediately, my car wud start dragging i.e d car wud not move smoothly..what can be the cause? Mechanics keep givin me diff. Reasons...1 actually Said. Its d Gear oil...anoda said its d. Break Pads..pls does anybody xperience same issue also?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 11:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
yungboss: you may not easily find one for sale in nigeria, i doubt you will find one either in cotonou...the M3 is a very powerful car, with a blistering acceleration.
in other words its best to avoid this car as I don't want anything mechanics will use to learn work. I currently use a 2005 pilot but driving it everyday feels like a tedious chore that's why I'm after performance now. I'll look out for the 2001 3 series I6 coupe then, driving my friend's coja got me so hooked like I'm on drugs and I love it.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 10:52pm On Feb 25, 2013
talktimi: I've made up my mind on the 2001 M 3 coupe, does anyone know if it there's an auto tranny option ? And what's the estimated price in Nigeria/Cotonou ?

BMW is a marvelled sport machine to behold, i entered a friend's 318 yesterday and suddenly fell in love with its sportier nature after cruising around town with him in my sport benz c180, my only fear is the rate at which this machine is parked for ages to decay in several compounds in the south south, these scares me often as if its a machine that may be too difficult to maintain.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 9:44am On Feb 26, 2013
au.hanson:

BMW is a marvelled sport machine to behold, i entered a friend's 318 yesterday and suddenly fell in love with its sportier nature after cruising around town with him in my sport benz c180, my only fear is the rate at which this machine is parked for ages to decay in several compounds in the south south, these scares me often as if its a machine that may be too difficult to maintain.
grin then we share the same fear, I'm in ph and I'll never allow 'ikoku" boys near my ride again after they nearly tumbled my honda under 5 minutes. I've made up my mind on a beema just need a good mech for major issues since I can handle regular maintenance myself and I follow vehicle manuals properly
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by DanaeTang: 8:43am On Feb 27, 2013
sexylogan: Hello, fellow Nairalanders.
I created this thread so that BMW owners, enthusiasts, etc. could have a thread to chat and discuss
anything about the Ultimate Driving Machine. Feel free to ask questions abt any model and those with
technical or owner-based knowlege can contribute. I looked for a BMW thread in this section but i didnt
find any. Also feel free to chip in tips on where owners can get reliable service, parts and general
mainenance of BMWs where u live. Thanx.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 5:32pm On Feb 28, 2013
talktimi: grin then we share the same fear, I'm in ph and I'll never allow 'ikoku" boys near my ride again after they nearly tumbled my honda under 5 minutes. I've made up my mind on a beema just need a good mech for major issues since I can handle regular maintenance myself and I follow vehicle manuals properly

I understand benz very well and follow up any issue with any mechanic,and i spend less in benz maintenance contrary to people opinion, those i come across(One well respected man swore never to buy benz but any other car, and i was just wondering at his speech, i mean it amazes wht he is missing out with all his money). I would love to own the BMW(precisely 3series) alongside with Benz if only i can afford to understand it maintenance, and clear the err about it difficulty in maintenance and spending.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 11:40pm On Feb 28, 2013

When you heard that people feared the speed of BM, its the M3 they were talking about, its could be likened to AMG in benz, and they are fuel guzzler too as they are performers. Any car enthusiast must have heard about the incredible performance of an M3 at one time in his life
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 12:42am On Mar 01, 2013
kingoflag:

Buy a 2001 BMW in Nigeria and you and the mechanic will become best of friends.

Use that money to buy a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. You'll enjoy it and have more rest of mind.
I presently own a 2005 honda pilot, not as if I go to the mechanics regularly but I'm just tired of the ride. Let's just say its boring to me now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.