Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (230406 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 9:34pm On Apr 02, 2013
shevalync: I have a 2000 E46. its been giving me some problems recently,the stirring rack got damaged, then the control arms of the rare wheels. the engine also started behaving funny and my mech insisted that its due to the fact that I do service the engine at a service center and not with a mechanic. now my questions are (1)how much does it cost to get the strirring rack and the control arms (2)what kind of oil do I use.thanks
where are you presently ? If in lag, I would suggest you got to ladipo to do a thorough research on the parts pricing then compare them with what your mechanic tells you but if around the east, I suggest you go to aba.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 11:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
dollypi: Hello guys.

I'm wondering if I can get the BMW Peake SRS Airbag Scan Reset Tool to purchase from anyone/anywhere in Nigeria, or if there's anyone or an autoshop with the tool and located in Lagos?
I had to replace my worn out steering wheel, and the airbag light has been on since. Car's an e46.

Thanks.
Call 08023018285
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by shevalync: 7:27am On Apr 03, 2013
@youngbos thanx, @talktimi I am in Ilorin av decided to trust my mech on it since its d only car av got.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 2:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
car-doctor:

I have a lot of technical knowledge on these diesel engined models and a many guys here in Naija who own these cars are having nightmares with maintenance issues due to the fact that most independent workshops for BMW's only seem to be concerned about the more common petrol models. The diesel variant are quite powerful with good torque on demand especially when climbing hilly roads. Assisted by a turbo charger and Direct Injection diesel engine, you do really get an exhilarating drive. If you have any technical queries, pls feel free to call or email me.

I can see you are based in Abuja?
I just relocated and planning to buy another car. But i understand there is a dearth of good mechs in Abuja hence scaring me from the german guys. How true and what's your specialty?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Bostin(m): 7:52pm On Apr 23, 2013
This is for siena and other BMW riders in the house,pls I want to know if converting E46 from right hand to left hand is safer and good ,I will also need any converting experts in lagos with cost .
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by kuntash: 6:30pm On May 29, 2013
Bostin: This is for siena and other BMW riders in the house,pls I want to know if converting E46 from right hand to left hand is safer and good ,I will also need any converting experts in lagos with cost .

It would have been nice the conversion is made where it was sourced, as in u have chances of getting the parts fixed properly...

wish u luck
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by kuntash: 6:53pm On May 29, 2013
I Like BMW , I have only tried the 3 series, 01-06 model... , I hope to try out the X3 or the 5-series, say the 530i or 535..

in the last 72hr however, I was shocked by the DSC module failure, and guess what, I was lucky because it was deteriorating hence it didnt fail the brake instantly, the DSC/ABS module was leaking unknown to me, until the hydraulic fluid reservoir was empty...

I have never experienced smthn like this from any car before, hence I felt I should share here... perhaps to help one or two persons..

Its a 325xi model, (i.e its an all wheel drive), and has a special DSC module thats relatively scarce, I was lucky to find one, after searching several stores in Ladipo and environs...

it has a pressure switch, thats one physical difference with others of the regular models.

after installation, bled the whole air out ... brake worked, but light remains, DSC, ABS, HANDBRAKE led lights were all on-

- Lost traction
- car felt like driving with less control etc
- it was no more enjoyable...

got on line and got the jist the module might need to be reprogrammed... even spoke with our consultant Siena about this, was advised unless the model nos are same, it wont work... which was correct.

I eventually had to replace the control unit module my old one and replace with the one I bought (the electronic part) since thats what communicates with the ECU etc... and behold it worked... Lights gone, traction and ABS now working!

Now my question is, " is this a known issue with BMW?" I ask cos I am just over a yr with this BMW technology..... its probably the least thing u would expect could get bad u will agree with me...

see pics below of the swaps....

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by kuntash: 6:57pm On May 29, 2013
AFTER CONTROL MODULE SWAP AND INSTALLATION...

CODES CLEARED!!, cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked shocked shocked

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by jcshols: 11:38am On Jul 17, 2013
hello house,@sienna,@yungboss and whoeva that can help,what do y'all think about an E46 Diesel that has now been converted to petrol? @shevalync,wia is ur mechanic located in Ilorin and hope he was able to fix it well. @yungboss,pls i'll need the manual of E46 2004,kindly email it to jcshollie@yahoo.com.

Thanx guyz.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2013
jcshols: hello house,@sienna,@yungboss and whoeva that can help,what do y'all think about an E46 Diesel that has now been converted to petrol? @shevalync,wia is ur mechanic located in Ilorin and hope he was able to fix it well. @yungboss,pls i'll need the manual of E46 2004,kindly email it to jcshollie@yahoo.com.

Thanx guyz.
ok, i'll do that tonight.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by ZUBY77(m): 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2013
jcshols: hello house,@sienna,@yungboss and whoeva that can help,what do y'all think about an E46 Diesel that has now been converted to petrol? @shevalync,wia is ur mechanic located in Ilorin and hope he was able to fix it well. @yungboss,pls i'll need the manual of E46 2004,kindly email it to jcshollie@yahoo.com.

Thanx guyz.

BMW Is a stubborn beast unlike the korea or Japan toys.

It can take anything you throw at it.

Sometimes, i even add engine oil in my steering oil cup.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:01pm On Jul 19, 2013
Those E36 coupe are the best of the 3-series and the only ones close 2 the M3. Was looking for a good condition 325i of 328i coupe but cld not find one so I ended up with a 2000 model W202 C230kompressor. But I still got that shark machine (E36 coupe) on my reda.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:36am On Jul 20, 2013
Gee2728: Those E36 coupe are the best of the 3-series and the only ones close 2 the M3. Was looking for a good condition 325i of 328i coupe but cld not find one so I ended up with a 2000 model W202 C230kompressor. But I still got that shark machine (E36 coupe) on my reda.
your right bro...the e36 is one of my best 3 series...the 328i is special...by Gods grace, next year is going to be the of the e36 M3
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by ZUBY77(m): 7:52am On Jul 20, 2013
Gee2728: Those E36 coupe are the best of the 3-series and the only ones close 2 the M3. Was looking for a good condition 325i of 328i coupe but cld not find one so I ended up with a 2000 model W202 C230kompressor. But I still got that shark machine (E36 coupe) on my reda.

My E36 325i is the only one i use when on a long journey.
Although it is getting old but it handles the road like a beast over every other toys i have tried.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:16am On Jul 20, 2013
ZUBY77:

My E36 325i is the only one i use when on a long journey.
Although it is getting old but it handles the road like a beast over every other toys i have tried.
i had to trade off my Mercedes c220 for the e36...i test-drove the 328 and quickly fell in love. Though it is getting old, but it is true old broom sweeps better than a new broom...

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 1:46pm On Jul 20, 2013
yungboss:
your right bro...the e36 is one of my best 3 series...the 328i is special...by Gods grace, next year is going to be the of the e36 M3
rly need that E36 coupe in my life.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 10:21am On Jul 21, 2013
Does anyone own the E39 5 series? I rather like that one but no one seems to be talking about it on these forums.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 1:24pm On Jul 21, 2013
lungwun: Does anyone own the E39 5 series? I rather like that one but no one seems to be talking about it on these forums.

Any help would be appreciated.
it depends on what you wanna know about it
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 9:51am On Jul 22, 2013
yungboss:
it depends on what you wanna know about it

Availability of parts in Abuja and well learned mechanics. Plus what engine to go for 528 or go for the v8.

Just simple questions really. My Honda accord gives me no joy whatsoever and most of my driving is urban (approximately $00 miles a month) so im guessing due to my little use of my cars, i could as well step up to something that gives me driving pleasure.

Thanks
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 12:58pm On Jul 22, 2013
lungwun:

Availability of parts in Abuja and well learned mechanics. Plus what engine to go for 528 or go for the v8.

Just simple questions really. My Honda accord gives me no joy whatsoever and most of my driving is urban (approximately $00 miles a month) so im guessing due to my little use of my cars, i could as well step up to something that gives me driving pleasure.

Thanks
if it's driving pleasure you want, the E39 will give you loads of it, i have only driven the 528i, powerful and fast but the 540i i heard is alot quicker, for it's size, the speed is astonishing!low 14s through 400m. But be sure they'll cost a fortune to own, talking about maintenance. I have no personal experience with the car...not yet, with the 540i.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yungboss,

Can you give me an overview of what it costs you in week/month to keep the E46? Cost of spares also needed! Money don dey complete wink grin grin before Hyundai go thief me go (i don dey eye the 07 Santa Fe lately)
Again, a close paddy who owns a 98 E36 wants to sell. wink
But that't not the issue. He advised me against the E46 AWD that's 325IX citing the auto gear mated with the AWD system is given to issues and quite an expensive fix or replacement when it goes kaput.

What's your take? haven't found a good review of the IXs online.
You can recommend though.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 8:40am On Jul 26, 2013
Emperoh: Yungboss,

Can you give me an overview of what it costs you in week/month to keep the E46? Cost of spares also needed! Money don dey complete wink grin grin before Hyundai go thief me go (i don dey eye the 07 Santa Fe lately)
Again, a close paddy who owns a 98 E36 wants to sell. wink
But that't not the issue. He advised me against the E46 AWD that's 325IX citing the auto gear mated with the AWD system is given to issues and quite an expensive fix or replacement when it goes kaput.

What's your take? haven't found a good review of the IXs online.
You can recommend though.
have you tried www.edmunds.com ? You should go through the user reviews there also, i usually ure that site when i want to review any car im interested in although honestly speaking, you will have to seek out bm users/mechanics familiar with that ride in Nigeria also to give you a home based perspective.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 10:45am On Jul 26, 2013
talktimi: have you tried www.edmunds.com ? You should go through the user reviews there also, i usually ure that site when i want to review any car im interested in although honestly speaking, you will have to seek out bm users/mechanics familiar with that ride in Nigeria also to give you a home based perspective.

I have been on edmunds severally.
But a reviewer gives you information based on what a manufacturer presents him not as a user.
There is always a divide. . . . .the best ways is to always seek user's experience. Makes for a more informed buy.

That;s why people like yungboss are after my heart grin grin shocked shocked
Tells you what the likely local issues are, what to look out for and what to avoid.
Thanks for your insight wink
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by alabijohn: 1:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
pls anyone in the house, how much can i get a grade A toks engine (BMW 3 series)? I live in Ibadan.
It's very urgent and probably a good mechanic to handle this.
Thanks.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 19, 2013
kuntash: I Like BMW , I have only tried the 3 series, 01-06 model... , I hope to try out the X3 or the 5-series, say the 530i or 535..

in the last 72hr however, I was shocked by the DSC module failure, and guess what, I was lucky because it was deteriorating hence it didnt fail the brake instantly, the DSC/ABS module was leaking unknown to me, until the hydraulic fluid reservoir was empty...

I have never experienced smthn like this from any car before, hence I felt I should share here... perhaps to help one or two persons..

Its a 325xi model, (i.e its an all wheel drive), and has a special DSC module thats relatively scarce, I was lucky to find one, after searching several stores in Ladipo and environs...

Hello Sir,

Please how much did you get the DCS/ABS Module for? Mine is the 325i though, but those lights you mentioned are currently on in my car.

And from your description,it sounds like you did the installation yourself. Was it an easy job?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 11:53pm On Aug 24, 2013
This might be interesting to some here

Cheers

https://www.nairaland.com/1410627/bmw-325ci-e46-rescue-project

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by samuelk(m): 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2013
Shagati: This might be interesting to some here

Cheers

https://www.nairaland.com/1410627/bmw-325ci-e46-rescue-project
I think i saw this car or something similar around Ipaja roundabout around friday or saturday..
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 6:37pm On Aug 25, 2013
You people shouldn't kill me with envy o, even my mechanic told me to avoid bmw's but how can i forget that driving experience ?

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 8:06pm On Aug 25, 2013
samuelk:
I think i saw this car or something similar around Ipaja roundabout around friday or saturday..

Not the same car. Also saw another one similar in Alausa today. May be the same one you saw? grin
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:11am On Aug 26, 2013
i love the coupes...i'm looking at 4 cars now for next year: '05 infiniti G35, '03 e39 540i, '97 e36 M3 or 01/02 e38 740il...
Shagati, your coupe is beautiful, i love the lines...mine has a few dents here and there...and seems an older model, 2000 m52...the 330i and 325i came out same time. I just need to be whether the 330i M54 would fit into the 323M52...i may have to do a couple of replacements like the Harness wires and the brainbox...

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by samuelk(m): 1:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
Shagati:

Not the same car. Also saw another one similar in Alausa today. May be the same one you saw? grin

lol, maybe. I've developed the habit of tailing fellow bimmers i meet on the road wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.