Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (230369 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 3:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
au.hanson:

Alright let's compare the 2 first all, i guess you wanted to say E46 330xi?

lets assume its 330xi and not 330i, here it goes:
Engine Displacement 2,979 cc
Cylinders 6
Valves 24V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)

Torque 300 Nm → 221 lb-ft (3,500 rpm)
Power Output 231 bhp (5,900 rpm)
Kilowatts 168 kW
Gearbox 6-speed Manual

Performance and Economy

Top Speed 153 mph (247 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.60 sec.
Average Mileage 29 mpg
Highway Mileage 36 mpg
City Mileage 21 mpg (using uk miles)

For the MB c240:
Engine Displacement 2,597 cc
Cylinders 6
Valves 18V (3 valves per cylinder)
Torque 240 Nm → 177 lb-ft (4,500 rpm)
Power Output 170 bhp (5,500 rpm)
Kilowatts 123 kW
Gearbox 6-speed Manual

Performance and Economy:

Top Speed 146 mph (235 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 9.20 sec.
Average Mileage 25 mpg
Highway Mileage 36 mpg
City Mileage 17 mpg
(using uk miles)

You see, to me it dosent make sense going for the w203 c240 when you have to compare with the E46 330xi. The c230 kompressor of w202 would even do better than the 6 cylinder c240. lets have a look: Also, the maintenance of this c240 is really something to do a rethink. I have been thinking why MB actually sell such an MB

w202 MB c230 kompressor
Engine Displacement 2,295 cc
Cylinders 4
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 280 Nm → 207 lb-ft (2,500 rpm)
Power Output 193 bhp (5,300 rpm)
Kilowatts 140 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual

Performance and Economy

Top Speed 143 mph (230 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 8.40 sec.
Average Mileage 29 mpg
Highway Mileage 38 mpg
City Mileage 20 mpg

You see, the c230 kompressor can achieve accelaration of 0-60 mph in 8.40 seconds as against c240 at 9.20seconds. But the E330ix top it all at 6.60 second even with a considerable good fuel economy as against the c240. Isnt that a super car for economy drive?
I am yet to understand what secret BMW employs here to achieve so much with so little fuel consumption?

For the weight: Kerb Weight 1,435 kg for the w203 c240; Kerb Weight 1,515 kg for the e46 330xi. The e330xi still weighs heavier than the c240, so what's d magic? Perhabs, its the engine dsiplacement? but then the w202 c230 k still has a lower engine displacement than that of the c240 and still performs better than the c240.Perhabs, because of the kompressor supercharger in the w202 c230k

So in this context , what would you chose, needless to ask, the BMW E46 330xi, any contrary opinion?
A.U. Hanson
330ci exists, it's the coupe. I use a 323ci, into which i'm dropping a 330ci engine...
You made a good sumary of the figures mr. Hanson, i don't like the c240...i prefer the c320. The W202 kompressor will match the e46 328i, same HP/Torque numbers, but the 328i may just be slightly faster...
I will see what their power:weight ratios are ...this may be the reason for 's advantage in MPG over the Mercedes
Maintenance is definitely higher than the Toyota sedan of same Generation...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
No one is being practical here.
maybe i need to do my own findings. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Owners, what does it cost to keep any of the two cars??
if the benz is cheaper to keep, trust me, i am dumping the few more torque and responsiveness of the bmw for the benz
And if it's the bmw? Well, God must have buttered my bread. Heads of tail, i win. . . . . . . ok, unless fixes and spares turn out to be expensive and i mean, more expensive than the normal Jap mobile!
wink wink cheesy
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
yungboss:
A.U. Hanson
330ci exists, it's the coupe. I use a 323ci, into which i'm dropping a 330ci engine...
You made a good sumary of the figures mr. Hanson, i personally do not like the c240...i prefer the c320 to it. The W202 kompressor will match the e46 328i, same HP/Torque numbers, but the 328i may just be slightly faster...
I will see what their power:weight ratios are ...this may be the reason for 's advantage in MPG over the Mercedes
Maintenance is definitely higher than the Toyota sedan of same Generation...

Ok, i c, 330ci. what a fine machine. It looks so low for our road. Thanks man for the clearance.
i wouldnt still like the c320 , for the fuel economy but would rather prefer the w203 c200 compressor, but then i still prefer the E46 to them all sef for the cost of spare parts. It has great economy and power compared to the Benz
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Ikenna351(m): 9:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
From what i have gathered from au.hanson post, the E46 330i appears to make more sense than the 328i. Before, i thought 330i was turbocharged. I always prefer Naturally Aspirated engine, even if the Turbocharged one has higher hp.

But, note that the E46 330i has Electronic Throttle Body. It's driven by the ECU and not cable via pedal. It will easily go into Limp Home mode if ECU senses a malfunction in the system, depending on the program, like Euro IV emission system.

The 328i has a simple injection system, not as complex as 330i. But 231 hp with 6-speed manual transmission makes it irresistible.

Note that nearly all new cars these days have electrically controlled throttle body butterfly. All it will take and enjoy the ride is to study and understand the injection system. The rest is piece of cake. After all, my SV D9 has Motorised Throttle Body as well (Electric TB). And no one has complained of the MTB failure of the ES9J4S. But a failure of pre-atalytic converter will set the car to limp home mode. Meaning, care is taken where one buys fuel with such car with such injection system.

Ikenna.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 3:24am On Sep 17, 2013
Ikenna351: From what i have gathered from au.hanson post, the E46 330i appears to make more sense than the 328i. Before, i thought 330i was turbocharged. I always prefer Naturally Aspirated engine, even if the Turbocharged one has higher hp.

But, note that the E46 330i has Electronic Throttle Body. It's driven by the ECU and not cable via pedal. It will easily go into Limp Home mode if ECU senses a malfunction in the system, depending on the program, like Euro IV emission system.

The 328i has a simple injection system, not as complex as 330i. But 231 hp with 6-speed manual transmission makes it irresistible.

Note that nearly all new cars these days have electrically controlled throttle body butterfly. All it will take and enjoy the ride is to study and understand the injection system. The rest is piece of cake. After all, my SV D9 has Motorised Throttle Body as well (Electric TB). And no one has complained of the MTB failure of the ES9J4S. But a failure of pre-atalytic converter will set the car to limp home mode. Meaning, care is taken where one buys fuel with such car with such injection system.

Ikenna.

you'r right ikenna...the ETB issue has been my worry with the engine transplant i look forward to, but my mechanic told me it is a possibility. I'm worried about having complications thereafter. The 328i is same generation as the 323i, so it just requires simple engine replacement, and probably ECU replacement too, with the 330i not quicker than the 328i by so much (run to 400m takes 14.8s for the 330i vs 15.3s for the 328i).
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 8:19am On Sep 17, 2013
Am checking out a E46 325i today. For me that will do, the only downside is its not a coupe!!!!!!
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 10:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Gee2728: Am checking out a E46 325i today. For me that will do, the only downside is its not a coupe!!!!!!

Can we see pictures?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:51am On Sep 17, 2013
Gee2728: Am checking out a E46 325i today. For me that will do, the only downside is its not a coupe!!!!!!
i'm sure the coupes will be hard to find...that's why i wont trade mine...i rather upgrade it to my taste...i have seen two so far in Port Harcourt though
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:28am On Sep 17, 2013
yungboss:
i'm sure the coupes will be hard to find...that's why i wont trade mine...i rather upgrade it to my taste...i have seen two so far in Port Harcourt though
as soon as i get somspace from work i'll be heading to the dealership....then will post sompics.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 2:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gee2728: as soon as i get somspace from work i'll be heading to the dealership....then will post sompics.
Good one...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 7:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
Emperoh: No one is being practical here.
maybe i need to do my own findings. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Owners, what does it cost to keep any of the two cars??
if the benz is cheaper to keep, trust me, i am dumping the few more torque and responsiveness of the bmw for the benz
And if it's the bmw? Well, God must have buttered my bread. Heads of tail, i win. . . . . . . ok, unless fixes and spares turn out to be expensive and i mean, more expensive than the normal Jap mobile!
wink wink cheesy
@emperor
To be more realistic and tell u d truth. D c class is a cheaper to maintain than d E46.
U don't need any1 2 choose for u.just take a look around u and see d conditions of d 2 cars in question. The benz give more peace of mind.
Technical know how is another thing to consider. How many competent bmw technicians do u have arround u?
Also availabily of parts and affordability. D benz is better.
Also check dis out, u will find more people with cclass using their ac than the E46, Y?
Another example, when my E46 had transmission issue. I was told d price for replacement was about 160k cos it was 20 pin.
A friend had transmission issue on his c class and got areplacent for 70k. Check out d diff.
I have had 6 of those bmws and I will still have more by Gods grace. So this is not book review and fantasies. I have also had 2 c class benz. So I can tell d diff.
Bmw is my childhood fantasy so I can let go but am taking a break for a while for benz.
My advise
Go to parts market and find out things for ur self.
Then make ur decision from what u get and find out from people who have those 2 cars and not people who people who read reviews.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 10:33pm On Sep 17, 2013
xerotop:
@emperor
To be more realistic and tell u d truth. D c class is a cheaper to maintain than d E46.
U don't need any1 2 choose for u.just take a look around u and see d conditions of d 2 cars in question. The benz give more peace of mind.
Technical know how is another thing to consider. How many competent bmw technicians do u have arround u?
Also availabily of parts and affordability. D benz is better.
Also check dis out, u will find more people with cclass using their ac than the E46, Y?
Another example, when my E46 had transmission issue. I was told d price for replacement was about 160k cos it was 20 pin.
A friend had transmission issue on his c class and got areplacent for 70k. Check out d diff.
I have had 6 of those bmws and I will still have more by Gods grace. So this is not book review and fantasies. I have also had 2 c class benz. So I can tell d diff.
Bmw is my childhood fantasy so I can let go but am taking a break for a while for benz.
My advise
Go to parts market and find out things for ur self.
Then make ur decision from what u get and find out from people who have those 2 cars and not people who people who read reviews.

Xerotop,

You have given the closest to practicality! Because in the end, it will be an everyday car and i am not sure how many times i will get into the racing mode. . . . . . sincerely, i am carried away by the elegance of the Benz. But the online reviews are have given it to the BMW even on fuel consumption.

But my main concern lies in being able to keep the car without having to burn a hole in my pocket.
Asking this question here is part of the research. I will still take a trip to the parts market when i am set to pull the trigger.
But in all, i look to drive either of the two cars.

I will still make other with more experiences using the E46. . . . . grin grin
Thank you for the information
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by jcshols: 7:22am On Sep 18, 2013
Ofcos d Bimmer is a beta ride compared to d Merc(mind u,aint talkin abt d money involved o). Chk ds out. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/mercedes-benz-c240-page-3
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by 234CustomCars: 9:53am On Sep 18, 2013
New to the chat. This is my 330ci. H&R Sport Suspension Spring kit (2" drop), 19" wheels (225/40 fronts and 255/35 rears). Dynavin clone to be installed this weekend. @GEe2728, there's a nice silver 328ci for sale. Never been used in Nigeria. i'll put up a pic.

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 1:02pm On Sep 18, 2013
234CustomCars: New to the chat. This is my 330ci. H&R Sport Suspension Spring kit (2" drop), 19" wheels (225/40 fronts and 255/35 rears). Dynavin clone to be installed this weekend. @GEe2728, there's a nice silver 328ci for sale. Never been used in Nigeria. i'll put up a pic.

Wow!

Love them wheels!
Great specimen you've got there. Auto or manual?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2013
234CustomCars: New to the chat. This is my 330ci. H&R Sport Suspension Spring kit (2" drop), 19" wheels (225/40 fronts and 255/35 rears). Dynavin clone to be installed this weekend. @GEe2728, there's a nice silver 328ci for sale. Never been used in Nigeria. i'll put up a pic.
Welcome aboard, have been a passenger on a friends 330ci b4 for every time he puts his foot down you could almost fill 'Gods hand' pushing u faster than u can imagine. Nice wheels u got there. Waiting for pics. Of the 328ci
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 6:14pm On Sep 18, 2013

Killing me softly..killing me softly!!! whata machine!! Black is beauty..looks like my MB c180 in black beauty. This car330ci goes for how much?

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by ziccoit: 7:36pm On Sep 18, 2013
au.hanson:

Killing me softly..killing me softly!!! whata machine!! Black is beauty..looks like my MB c180 in black beauty. This car330ci goes for how much?

Your car is well maintained. Is that the recent pics?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by 234CustomCars: 9:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
yeah. I took those pics 2days ago. Once my in-dash dvd/bluetooth receiver comes in on Friday i'll put up pics. Found this insane upholstery guy in Oregun. Turned my seats into the way they looked when they left the factory. Charged me only 19k too.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 1:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
Does anyone know a good guy for paint job, i wanna change my paint from silver to matte olive green, does anyone know and can u guys suggest an estimate. I drive 318ci
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by jcshols: 11:41am On Sep 20, 2013
@234Customcars,cld u leme hav d contact details of d Oregus guy pls? Plus what's d details on d 328ci? Mileage, cost, VIN, color, Rim size smiley, etc.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 1:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yosmen: 6:23pm On Sep 27, 2013
for a manual e36,what are the signs to know if you need to change your gear oil and what is the best gear oil for bmw
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:28am On Sep 28, 2013
Currently working towards owning this M3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SluM4XBJFU
nothing convinces me like this, happy weekend
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 7:59am On Sep 28, 2013
yungboss: Currently working towards owning this M3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SluM4XBJFU
nothing convinces me like this, happy weekend
WOW this is beauty and the beast at the same time.. Wish i can have this prettY soon
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by april4mee(m): 9:10pm On Sep 28, 2013
Anybody familiar with the 320i 2001 model? I need advices on possible pros and cons. Tanx
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gloryroad: 9:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
Pls what major issues does 2005 BMW 545I Have, which 5 series is most advisable
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 11:13pm On Sep 28, 2013
april4mee: Anybody familiar with the 320i 2001 model? I need advices on possible pros and cons. Tanx

A 2.0L engine I6 E46. Only diff with d others is d engine size and most of them does not carry more than 1cd loader. Mostly fabrics seats. Slower than the 323 and the 325 but more fuel efficient than them. U dont even need the speed cost there r no good road network to test d strenght
For maintenance, expect same as the 323 and 325. Only when you need a replacement engine, its cheaper then the 2.5.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 11:25pm On Sep 28, 2013
Gloryroad: Pls what major issues does 2005 BMW 545I Have, which 5 series is most advisable

A 4.4L engine V8 E60 beast. No major issues except fuel efficiency and expensive parts. The engine costs a arm and leg when u need replacement. If u can av a v8 engine ride, then fuel shld not be ur issue. Very fast and can be mistakenly taken for the M5 on d road except for quad exhaust of d M5.
Almost same maintenance as d regular E60s.
And i can tell u dat d E60s r more reliable than the E46.
The E39s are d most reliable 5 series. Parts are so much cheaper than E46. They dont give issues and are very quiet. Very fuel efficient also. U can actually drive an E39 for months without having to do anything on it. And when u need to. U spend less.

But always remember; careless people dont drive BMW.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 11:37pm On Sep 28, 2013
Gloryroad: Pls what major issues does 2005 BMW 545I Have, which 5 series is most advisable
Mr xerotop has used lots of BMWs,he'll know better. But it certainly is a V8 engine, some have SMG,6spd manual gearbox and steptronic auto gearbox available too.
there's the iDrive, a multi-function knob,which may be difficult to operate. I have a distant friend who owns one...it's a very fast car,guzzles petrol though. But it is worth driving it...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 11:41pm On Sep 28, 2013
Thanks Xerotop,
I learnt a few things from you.
what would you pick between a '97 m3 & an e39 540i?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 5:00am On Sep 29, 2013
yungboss: Thanks Xerotop,
I learnt a few things from you.
what would you pick between a '97 m3 & an e39 540i?

Mr youngboss,
Seriously i neva had any of d Ms. But was opportuned to test drive d E46 m3 with smg transmission in canada.
The E36 m3,i shld think has a natutally aspirated engine which looks like the m50 engine(am not sure). But a 3.2L I6
Imagine such a large and powerful engine in a small E36
The E39 540i will be my desired choice based on d ffg reasons
Technical know how here in naija
Availability of parts
Bad road network cos the m3 is low
Cost of replacements when broken
E 39 still looks more modern than the E36(ppl might still give u a lil more respect cos of size)
And when used for long distances, u will be shocked at d mpg. But not as d smaller engines.

And when it comes to performance, the E39 will not disappoint.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.