Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,253 members, 7,815,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (230402 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 8:13am On Sep 10, 2013
why has this thread gone silent guys ?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 8:27am On Sep 10, 2013
So what do you guys think of the new 4 series coupe? too long? to big ? to wide ? dont like the number ?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 8:38am On Sep 10, 2013
Dsannin: So what do you guys think of the new 4 series coupe? too long? to big ? to wide ? dont like the number ?
. Nice point. Am not too sure abt the design of that car, honestly my heart is finding it hard to warming up to the new 4series. I jst hope it will make my favorite 3 series cheaper.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 9:22am On Sep 10, 2013
Just hearing about it here. . . .i will google to look at it
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 10:01am On Sep 10, 2013
Gee2728: . Nice point. Am not too sure abt the design of that car, honestly my heart is finding it hard to warming up to the new 4series. I jst hope it will make my favorite 3 series cheaper.
AMEN AMEN AMEN #infelavoice grin
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 1:38pm On Sep 10, 2013
talktimi: AMEN AMEN AMEN #infelavoice grin
the 4 series would be coupes i guess, i do not think i like its styling...but i like the 1 series...especially the 135i it is compact, very fast and sporty.
I still prefer to own the e36s, e46s, e38s, e39s and a little bit of the e90; e90 because of the 330i and 335i...
So there's a whole lot of uncertainty for me as to which BMW to buy next.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
Sadly, lately every thing is automatic. Have been in the market for a E36 328i manual gear or a E39 530i manual shifter but it so hard 2 find one. Am not even sure costom will clear such a old car coming into this country. It so sad how the good times are fading away, its bye bye to the hard shifting by urself.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2013
Gee2728: Sadly, lately every thing is automatic. Have been in the market for a E36 328i manual gear or a E39 530i manual shifter but it so hard 2 find one. Am not even sure costom will clear such a old car coming into this country. It so sad how the good times are fading away, its bye bye to the hard shifting by urself.
'96 328i...i'm sure customs will do...they clear the '97 camrys and honda cars...even the w202 c class as i know someone who just purchased one...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:59am On Sep 11, 2013
yungboss:
'96 328i...i'm sure customs will do...they clear the '97 camrys and honda cars...even the w202 c class as i know someone who just purchased one...
I guess I'll keep my hope alive of geting a manual shift b4 the year runs out.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by talktimi(m): 1:55pm On Sep 11, 2013
Gee2728: I guess I'll keep my hope alive of geting a manual shift b4 the year runs out.
i still dont understand why i should buy the automatic version of any german sedan or coupe. There are times one just wants to DRIVE
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 2:09pm On Sep 11, 2013
talktimi: i still dont understand why i should buy the automatic version of any german sedan or coupe. There are times one just wants to DRIVE
it's my aim to get a '97 M3 through Siena's assistance, '97 manual, already enquired, but my madam wouldn't want a BMW..."old car" in her words (women and their ways, lol). I'm still trying to work on her mind...i told her "manual Shift" and she was like "You dont want me to drive..."
but i'm only worried about the M3's maintenance in Nigeria.
Does it share parts with the ''96/97 328i
Does it use Brembo Brakes?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 7:45pm On Sep 11, 2013
yungboss:
it's my aim to get a '97 M3 through Siena's assistance, '97 manual, already enquired, but my madam wouldn't want a BMW..."old car" in her words (women and their ways, lol). I'm still trying to work on her mind...i told her "manual Shift" and she was like "You dont want me to drive..."
but i'm only worried about the M3's maintenance in Nigeria.
Does it share parts with the ''96/97 328i
Does it use Brembo Brakes?
. Parts sharing, of course it does afterall its a pumped up 3 series. But there are certain parts that are exclusively for the M3. For brembo brakes, those are after market parts which can be fitted on almost any brand.

About that whole manual shifter me too am doing my research quietly cos my wify too no want hear that one at all.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 8:33pm On Sep 12, 2013
This thing people have for manual gears still baffles me oh. I drive a 99/2000 bmw 318ci and its automatic with the steptronic and i know how fast it goes. manual would just add so much calculations to a speedy exit or getaway. i only use the steptronics to downshift but hey we are in nigeria afterall this only happens on ozumba at close to midnight. On another note i loooooove the 1 series and yes the 135i, its a smaller car with a bigger engine thats what i am looking for now mehn, i wonder how much it goes for?

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:56am On Sep 13, 2013
Dsannin: This thing people have for manual gears still baffles me oh. I drive a 99/2000 bmw 318ci and its automatic with the steptronic and i know how fast it goes. manual would just add so much calculations to a speedy exit or getaway. i only use the steptronics to downshift but hey we are in nigeria afterall this only happens on ozumba at close to midnight. On another note i loooooove the 1 series and yes the 135i, its a smaller car with a bigger engine thats what i am looking for now mehn, i wonder how much it goes for?
true talk, those steptronics are quite good. But hope say u no 4get say that ur 318ci is the slowest of the ci, I bliv if its matted with a 5speed manual u'll get more out of it than the auto shift. Most bmw are high reving engine so how do u do dat on an auto shift.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 3:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
Gee2728: true talk, those steptronics are quite good. But hope say u no 4get say that ur 318ci is the slowest of the ci, I bliv if its matted with a 5speed manual u'll get more out of it than the auto shift. Most bmw are high reving engine so how do u do dat on an auto shift.

ok i see
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 3:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
On another note guys, say i was to have about 1.8mil to 2.0mil, would i be able to get a good x5 within that range. Then, how reliable is the x5 off the tarmac i know its classified as an SAV but i mean its all or four wheel drive whats the point of that if it will get stuck in mud or sand. Finally would you guys suggest an x3 even though i think the ground clearance is sub par to other vehicle of its class?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 4:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dsannin: On another note guys, say i was to have about 1.8mil to 2.0mil, would i be able to get a good x5 within that range. Then, how reliable is the x5 off the tarmac i know its classified as an SAV but i mean its all or four wheel drive whats the point of that if it will get stuck in mud or sand. Finally would you guys suggest an x3 even though i think the ground clearance is sub par to other vehicle of its class?
bro pls I beg u leave a 2.0mil X5 alone. It maybe a high mileage or something is up with it. They are mostly easy to run as brand new. And I hope u dnt need it as an everyday car cos the fuel consumption is not too good. This big german cars are heavily over-engineered so there's bound to be issue here and there. Remember to whom much is given much will be expected. Pls let's buy our cars wisely.

Most of the politicians and gov officials I work for have this big SUV( range, X5, LX e.t.c) but they dnt use them as daily drives with all the money they have. There's always a PAN 406 somewhere in the compound. That's jst my own advice.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yosmen: 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
My e36 handling is shacking when driving,my mechanic checked the bow joint and its ok but my front shock are deflated,could this be the reason cos ?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 5:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
Gee2728: bro pls I beg u leave a 2.0mil X5 alone. It maybe a high mileage or something is up with it. They are mostly easy to run as brand new. And I hope u dnt need it as an everyday car cos the fuel consumption is not too good. This big german cars are heavily over-engineered so there's bound to be issue here and there. Remember to whom much is given much will be expected. Pls let's buy our cars wisely.

Most of the politicians and gov officials I work for have this big SUV( range, X5, LX e.t.c) but they dnt use them as daily drives with all the money they have. There's always a PAN 406 somewhere in the compound. That's jst my own advice.

You know, this your advice is ringing like a bell in my ear now as i try to decide what to get for personal use and an eventual everyday run around.
My first choice will be a 325i or a C240 4Matic. But hey, cost of maintenance? I really need to consider this.
Getting the car one off isn't where all the problem lies. But, what will it cost to keep? What will labor for a normal maintenance trip cost me? Normal parts like, shocks, CV joints, plugs, sensors and what have you, what will it cost me?

I am tempted of making a detour to the Japanese that can sustain some sort of abuse, but how can i sacrifice my craving for a German machine?

Can we have a debate on what it costs on the average to keep a compact German car? Specifically, the E46 325 or 328i?
Awaiting your responses!
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Dsannin: 8:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
thanks Gee2728 i hear you
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
Emperoh:

You know, this your advice is ringing like a bell in my ear now as i try to decide what to get for personal use and an eventual everyday run around.
My first choice will be a 325i or a C240 4Matic. But hey, cost of maintenance? I really need to consider this.
Getting the car one off isn't where all the problem lies. But, what will it cost to keep? What will labor for a normal maintenance trip cost me? Normal parts like, shocks, CV joints, plugs, sensors and what have you, what will it cost me?

I am tempted of making a detour to the Japanese that can sustain some sort of abuse, but how can i sacrifice my craving for a German machine?

Can we have a debate on what it costs on the average to keep a compact German car? Specifically, the E46 325 or 328i?
Awaiting your responses!
well, if you live in an area where the terrain is poor...you are going to be having issues with your suspension, these cars easily give in to bad roads...e.g, my e36. It's very low and the terrain in my estate isn't the best. Though roadwork is ongoing...
The e46 has aluminium ball joints and all that, you can afford them. They aren't quite alot contrary to what non-bmw users think. As for the w203 Merc, i have no idea. I Only used a w202 in the past.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 10:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
Yungboss,

I will speak with you on phone when am set to shoot.
Cos a couple of things still look somewhat vague to me.

But my main concern is still the cost of keep the car and what likely issues one needs to look out for.
E46 is where i am stuck if BMW.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 10:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
Emperoh: Yungboss,

I will speak with you on phone when am set to shoot.
Cos a couple of things still look somewhat vague to me.

But my main concern is still the cost of keep the car and what likely issues one needs to look out for.
E46 is where i am stuck if BMW.
I drive a W202 C230kompressor, but honestly any given sunday I'll pick that E46 banger over that wacky W203 C240. Pls dnt be fooled that C240 slow infact all day long it wld never run away from my kompressor. The interior maybe well finished but for me that's all abt it.

Was once in a friends E46 330ci, mennn for every time he put his foot on the gas I felt as if my neck was going 2 break. Those E46 are devilishly fast. The maintenance are usually the normal routine, trust me u'll so enjoy this car u'll want to service it even when its not due. But pls shine ur eyes and choose wisely when u buy so that u'll not get a beat down one. Best at it.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 11:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
Gee2728: I drive a W202 C230kompressor, but honestly any given sunday I'll pick that E46 banger over that wacky W203 C240. Pls dnt be fooled that C240 slow infact all day long it wld never run away from my kompressor. The interior maybe well finished but for me that's all abt it.

Was once in a friends E46 330ci, mennn for every time he put his foot on the gas I felt as if my neck was going 2 break. Those E46 are devilishly fast. The maintenance are usually the normal routine, trust me u'll so enjoy this car u'll want to service it even when its not due. But pls shine ur eyes and choose wisely when u buy so that u'll not get a beat down one. Best at it.

Thank you Gee.
I guess i am being carried away by the looks really.
Quite elegant and classy. . . . .the BMW doesn't have that refinement unless the 5 series of the same year range.

Per the bolded, anything i should look out for? Or any particular limits to be conscious of?
I am a dealer and i can boast to knowing almost all the tricks and all. But nothing is better than ideas from a consumer. wink grin
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 10:25am On Sep 16, 2013
Gee2728: I guess I'll keep my hope alive of geting a manual shift b4 the year runs out.

Pls let me know when you do, i am also looking forward to getting one too. I shouldn't be anymore afraid of this BM maintenance thing, if i have companion
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 12:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
The e46 is a wonderful ride,so enjoyable and a beast on the road.very comfortable, very swift, very compact, sleek,smooth, balanced, and very expensive to maintain. Parts are available but expensive. Far more expensive than the benz of all classes.
But, if its goin to be ur daily ride, be prepared to give what belongs to caesar to him.
Like my mechanic always say " e46 always smile @ u while eating ur money"
I had wonderful experience with them while i had them. But i have finally ported to merc. I was tempted to go 4 bmw 335i, but i had to consider my mechanic now turned cotonou dealer not messing me up and also spending my weekend with my family and not mechanic workshop.
Expecting my delivery of 2009 c350 sports by Gods grace.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Ikenna351(m): 12:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
@ Emperoh & au.hanson,

I wonder why you guys are so scared of BM, especially the E46.

I took a special interest in E46 328 sometime last year. From my finding, after physically examining or studying one, it's a complete DIY car. Every injection component is well layed out on the engine, and easily reached. A very simple injection system, to my understanding.

My point is, if iam to add another RWD to my collection, E46 328 it will be, for now.

So, guys, have no fear.

Ikenna
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 1:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Gee2728: I drive a W202 C230kompressor, but honestly any given sunday I'll pick that E46 banger over that wacky W203 C240. Pls dnt be fooled that C240 slow infact all day long it wld never run away from my kompressor. The interior maybe well finished but for me that's all abt it.

Alright let's compare the 2 first all, i guess you wanted to say E46 330xi?

lets assume its 330xi and not 330i, here it goes:
Engine Displacement 2,979 cc
Cylinders 6
Valves 24V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)

Torque 300 Nm → 221 lb-ft (3,500 rpm)
Power Output 231 bhp (5,900 rpm)
Kilowatts 168 kW
Gearbox 6-speed Manual

Performance and Economy

Top Speed 153 mph (247 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.60 sec.
Average Mileage 29 mpg
Highway Mileage 36 mpg
City Mileage 21 mpg (using uk miles)

For the MB c240:
Engine Displacement 2,597 cc
Cylinders 6
Valves 18V (3 valves per cylinder)
Torque 240 Nm → 177 lb-ft (4,500 rpm)
Power Output 170 bhp (5,500 rpm)
Kilowatts 123 kW
Gearbox 6-speed Manual

Performance and Economy:

Top Speed 146 mph (235 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 9.20 sec.
Average Mileage 25 mpg
Highway Mileage 36 mpg
City Mileage 17 mpg
(using uk miles)

You see, to me it dosent make sense going for the w203 c240 when you have to compare with the E46 330xi. The c230 kompressor of w202 would even do better than the 6 cylinder c240. lets have a look: Also, the maintenance of this c240 is really something to do a rethink. I have been thinking why MB actually sell such an MB

w202 MB c230 kompressor
Engine Displacement 2,295 cc
Cylinders 4
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 280 Nm → 207 lb-ft (2,500 rpm)
Power Output 193 bhp (5,300 rpm)
Kilowatts 140 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual

Performance and Economy

Top Speed 143 mph (230 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 8.40 sec.
Average Mileage 29 mpg
Highway Mileage 38 mpg
City Mileage 20 mpg

You see, the c230 kompressor can achieve accelaration of 0-60 mph in 8.40 seconds as against c240 at 9.20seconds. But the E330ix top it all at 6.60 second even with a considerable good fuel economy as against the c240. Isnt that a super car for economy drive?
I am yet to understand what secret BMW employs here to achieve so much with so little fuel consumption?

For the weight: Kerb Weight 1,435 kg for the w203 c240; Kerb Weight 1,515 kg for the e46 330xi. The e330xi still weighs heavier than the c240, so what's d magic? Perhabs, its the engine dsiplacement? but then the w202 c230 k still has a lower engine displacement than that of the c240 and still performs better than the c240.Perhabs, because of the kompressor supercharger in the w202 c230k

So in this context , what would you chose, needless to ask, the BMW E46 330xi, any contrary opinion?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 1:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
Ikenna351: @ Emperoh & au.hanson,

I took a special interest in E46 328 sometime last year. From my finding, after physically examining or studying one, it's a complete DIY car. Every injection component is well layed out on the engine, and easily reached. A very simple injection system, to my understanding.

My point is, if iam to add another RWD to my collection, E46 328 it will be, for now.

So, guys, have no fear.

Ikenna

And cost of replacement parts?

U know, am looking at it to be sure it's something that won't bore a hole in one's pocket.
I can also see that there are divergent views on which is a better car.

Some give it to BMW while a good number disagrees. One thing going for the Mercedes is the design and finishing.
They are top notch and eye catching! But practicability is another thing really.

Which costs reasonably cheaper/easier to keep?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 2:08pm On Sep 16, 2013

So, guys, have no fear.

Ikenna

Ikenna, thanks for the clearance. Maybe the popular old phobia? BM? dont go near it!! don't even touch it!! you dont want to achieve anything on earth!!. To crown it all , the way it is parked and abandon at every yard in the east(although these are the 7 series and 5 series) send danger signals up my spine
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 2:09pm On Sep 16, 2013

So, guys, have no fear.

Ikenna

Ikenna, thanks for the clearance. Maybe the popular old phobia? BM? dont go near it!! don't even touch it!! you dont want to achieve anything on earth!!. To crown it all , the way it is parked and abandon at every yard in the east(although these are the 7 series and 5 series) send danger signals up my spine
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by auhanson(m): 2:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
Emperoh:

And cost of replacement parts?

U know, am looking at it to be sure it's something that won't bore a hole in one's pocket.
I can also see that there are divergent views on which is a better car.

Some give it to BMW while a good number disagrees. One thing going for the Mercedes is the design and finishing.
They are top notch and eye catching! But practicability is another thing really.

Which costs reasonably cheaper/easier to keep?

My brother i share the same skin with you, burning ones pocket. I know these two guys have stiff neck competition going, just like you said MB has the design and finishing but BM has the practicability, she is more or less a sport car, that's why she cant afford all that leisure so that she wouldnt shift ground . while Benz is a leisure thing, i would trade that leisure in the w203 c240 for the sport E46 BM, considering performance and fuel economy.

Look at it this way again, 3 series BM has a turning circle of 10.5m while benz still kept on varying theirs to the worse; benz 190 has 10.6m, fair enough at least of all the MB, w202 has 10.7m still ok, but w203, has it 10.8m going towards the jap that has it at 11.0m and above, so which way? she kept on compromising her sport thing for the luxury. its ok for some quatres

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.