Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,593 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (58576 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Go Down)

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

LOL thank you for high lighting this photo of Brian. Notice the pronounced land bridges and the very bulbus nose.
alright let us assume brad pitt has 10 percent black . wesley snipes has 80 percent white . does it matter? brad pitt is not chasing shadows, he is clearly a white european man . he is not saying that he is ancestors are from falk islands or syria etc. he is clearly european .
meanwhile , wesley snipes who is clearly from togo is chasing 10 percent white and looking for island with people who have blonde hair and light brown skin .

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:56am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

"so called africa" hehn? LOL
maybe you shouldn't have started the argument when I posted that I looked african. you clearly have an issue with me calling myself african looking. I have no issues with whatever you wish to call yourself.

I asked you what the hell was african looking?. And you still can't answer my freaking question! How the f--ck you're going to say you're african looking when your a$$ looks just like a blacks in socalled asia. WTF? figure it out buddy! You and your people who peddle that true negro bullcrap. Okay you be one of the true negros. Designated blacks to 1 landmass instead of saying Hey we blacks inherited the whole world. You see the difference or it hasan't came in your f---king head yet?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

Anger? I'm not angry because I know who I'am. I asked you a simple question if I provide books and excerpts will you read them or will you brush them off?

I also told you that many blacks have oral tradition of being here before and that they didnt come on any ships. I said missionaries because I know many missionaries the world over were going around teaching false history. If left to him blacks never had any culture and were naked savages.

Yes, you are! With the term like 'bullsh*t missionaries taught you' and all the slurs leading to your display of bitterness in your posts. You are trying to hide it by saying you know who you are whereas in reality you are furious about it. That your question is not contextual in any sense and that is the very reason I purposely ignored it in my previous reply because I already know your stand on this argument.

Sorry, you would have to provide proof of many blacks who where in America before the Atlantic slave trade. If you mean Red Indians they weren't black and for those of the West Indices cannot be addressed as Americans. In fact, there is no black that has been able to explore the Americas before the slave trade. You are making that up if you believe there is.

mags5222:
How is this addressing anything that I stated? We have a unique culture. Blacks in the Americas period. Ya'll have your unique culture. Respect it.
All culture are unique to the people in the sense of their beliefs. To others it might mean primitiveness and inability to find a better way to evolve. Using that word, 'unique', doesn't really change a thing about the discussion because all cultures are similar by definition. I know you mean to say African Americans(officially acceptable term for Negros) not 'black Americans' or else you would be including other blacks in America, like the Nigerian American, Kenyan American, South African American, etc. You don't force people to respect culture, it is anybody's prerogative to choose what kind of culture to embrace. In the sense that there are things you might hate about a culture that you don't want to practice. You have to live with that truth. You are trying to force it on people just like the Islamic nations are doing to their people. Everything changes including culture.

mags5222:
There is difference between racism and prejudice. I'm prejudice. I can't effect any white persons economic standing. My prejudice is not without reason. If you have been wronged you should be naturally suspicious point blank.

I quite agree with you there is difference between racism and prejudice but the latter can be a part of the former when it involves blatant hate for skin color. That you have tentatively shown here in your posts. You clearly air disgust for the white man's culture and views on history. Without having to quote your posts you would agree there are elements of racism in those words.

mags5222:
Wrong! And wrong! You're right you will never be black american. So you have no idea neither have you tried to deconstruct the history between blacks and whites. The difference between stormfronters and myself is blacks have never destroyed Europe or killed off a sizable population and oppressed them. However this has happened therefor my dislike of them is justified. I will not hold hands with these people and be politically correct because I know my history. When you know your story, you will keep these people at arms length period.

I wouldn't want to be what I am not and that doesn't mean I have no idea about the African American history. Accept the reality of that statement for the good our argument. The excuse you give is a common sense, Africans did the same to others(Africans) in the past. Using color to define evil as a means to justify the other's crime(Africans) is not fair. For disliking a race for parents past deed doesn't differentiate you from a sadist who clueless about finding solution to his problem than making more of the problem. It is something I am not going to accept from you. You have finally proved you are a racist in the last line of that paragraph.

mags5222:
Okay then your problem is?
I don't have a problem. I only disagree with your understanding of culture in that very comment.

mags5222:
You see the problem with people like you is you think just because people declare a difference this means they are denying a connection. I never denied a connection. However I won't deny my connection with the other groups of people,which is what many black americans have been doing. We can't allow everyone to define us and who we are.

I don't have a trouble with being different but with the fact of not seeing the relevance of the small region of origin is the bone of contention. You like to use conjecture to play down of the nitty-gritty of this heated debate. Trying to separate yourself from the other keep you close to that small region you never want referenced to culture in your previous comment. Indeed, that more or less a denying it.

Nobody defines who you are, you choose to be who you want to be from what you think you are. Don't forget the society all rather the environment has a lot to play in shaping you up. It is something you cannot avoid.

mags5222:
LOL because I'm challenging all your beliefs? Yawns* haha I can careless. The only bogus statements is out of mainstream scientist their media and the puppets that go along for the ride.

I don't see where you challenge my beliefs. The only thing you do is to make up an idea, put it to me and defend it along that line. You said I hate African American which is not true. That is not my belief but yours. In the whole of this argument I don't see where you have been about to express the reason why I have to accept your wrong views on this matter.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:57am On Sep 11, 2014
sexfiend: alright let us assume brad pitt has 10 percent black . wesley snipes has 80 percent white . does it matter? brad pitt is not chasing shadows, he is clearly a white european man . he is not saying that he is ancestors are from syria or iran etc. he is clearly european .
meanwhile , wesley snipes who is clearly from togo is chasing 10 percent white and looking for island with people who have blonde hair and light brown skin .

This would be a lie because wesley has nothing to do with white folks besides the white hooches that he forked. he is an american.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:58am On Sep 11, 2014
sexfiend: alright let us assume brad pitt has 10 percent black . wesley snipes has 80 percent white . does it matter? brad pitt is not chasing shadows, he is clearly a white european man . he is not saying that he is ancestors are from syria or iran etc. he is clearly european .

#DEAD grin
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 7:01am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

A complete fact based off your bullshit! American culture is based off of blacks with a touch of European influence not the other way around! These people are your masters but they're not mine. It isn't a subset and never was.
Sometimes I think you lack comprehension. I would like you to reread my post.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

This would be a lie because wesley has nothing to do with white folks besides the white hooches that he forked. he is an american.
He is an American but African American. That is the complete fact.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:03am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

go ahead with your melanasian self. you rock wink you aren't african american. you are melanasian oh sorry i mean indigenous american

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 7:03am On Sep 11, 2014
Ok ladies please don't fight in this thread. Be happy!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2014
all4naija:

Yes, you are! With the term like 'bullsh*t missionaries taught you' and all the slurs leading to your display of bitterness in your posts. You are trying to hide it by saying you know who you are whereas in reality you are furious about it. That you question is not contextual in any sense and that is the very reason I purposely ignored it in my previous reply because I already know your stand on this argument.

Furious? No determined yes. My people need to be educated about their story so they won't be a pack of morons believing that whites have good intentions.
all4naija:
Sorry, you would have to provide proof of many blacks who where in America before the Atlantic slave trade. If you mean Red Indians they weren't black and for those of the West Indices cannot be addressed as Americans. In fact, there is no black that has been able to explore the Americas before the slave trade. You are making that up if you believe there is.

I'm going to ask you this one more time. If I gave you information on books like the rocks cried out or excerpts on who these people seen when they first landed will you believe it? You see you can believe what you want. There is no such thing as a red indian. Only blacks and browns and even whites,. There is no proof at all that the bulk of the blacks here in the new world are descendent from slaves or even foreigners.

But I'm done with you! When you claim there were no blacks that explored the americas before the slave trade, this let me know you're full of it.
all4naija:

All culture are unique to the people in the sense of their beliefs. To others it might mean primitiveness and inability to find a better way to evolve. Using that word, 'unique', doesn't really change a thing about the discussion because all cultures are similar by definition. I know you mean to say African Americans(officially acceptable term for Negros) not 'black Americans' or else you would be including other blacks in America, like the Nigerian American, Kenyan American, South African American, etc. You don't force people to respect culture, it is anybody's prerogative to choose what kind of culture to embrace. In the sense that there are things you might hate about a culture that you don't want to practice. You have to live with that truth. You are trying to force it on people just like the Islamic nations are doing to their people. Everything changes including culture.
i'M SORRY but not everyone can socalled adopt my culture without giving its due respect. That is called cultural appropriation which many whites have did towards my people. So I don't accept your lame ideology because many of you aren't willing to think outside the box. I mean no one is surprised that the bulk of the afrocentric scholars are outside of africa, and many of you people ridicule them when they are trying to restore the glory lost.

all4naija:
I quite agree with you there is difference between racism and prejudice but the latter can be a part of the former when it involves blatant hate for skin color. That you have tentatively shown here in your posts. You clearly air disgust for the white man's culture and views on history. Without having to quote your posts you would agree there are elements of racism in those words.

wrong! you're a fool to believe that its because of their skin color and not their history or how they act. i suggest you visit white forums to see what they say about people of our heritage. you are blant ignorant to which i have to ask again, did colonialism happen, because you people have forgot.

And yes their culture is barbaric and their history is a pack of lies. Do you think i would ever accept that blacks around the world were naked savages and that whites had to teach these people?

all4naija:
I wouldn't want to be what I am not and that doesn't mean I have no idea about the African American history. Accept the reality of that statement for the good our argument. The excuse you give is a common sense, Africans did the same to others(Africans) in the past. Using color to define evil as a means to justify the other's crime(Africans) is not fair. For disliking a race for parents past deed doesn't differentiate you from a sadist who clueless about finding solution to his problem than making more of the problem. It is something I am not going to accept from you. You have finally proved you are a racist in the last line of that paragraph.
Wrong! you don't know anything of black american history how many of you know about tulsa and rosewood? don't peddle your crap to me! an intelligent person never forgets the past those who forget are endanger of repeating the past. these people didn't change their tactics! they are the same as their forefathers. but why should i convince you of this? we don't have the same story obviously.

all4naija:
I don't have a problem. I only disagree with your understanding of culture in that very comment.
I don't have a trouble with being different but with the fact of not seeing the relevance of the small region of origin is the bone of contention. You like to use conjecture to play down of the nitty-gritty of this heated debate. Trying to separate yourself from the other keep you close to that small region you never want referenced to culture in your previous comment. Indeed, that more or less a denying it.
Nobody defines who you are, you choose to be who you want to be from what you think you are. Don't forget the society all rather the environment has a lot to play in shaping you up. It is something you cannot avoid.

What are you talking about? My point has always been that blacks are aboriginal and that our culture is american PERIOD.

all4naija:

I don't see where you challenge my beliefs. The only thing you do is to make up an idea, put it to me and defend it along that line. You said I hate African American which is not true. That is not my belief but yours. In the whole of this argument I don't see where you have been about to express the reason why I have to accept your wrong views on this matter.

I challenge your beliefs regarding history as we seem to have two different stories that don't coincide with mines. many blacks across the ocean hate black americans calling us lazy and saying we are doing this and that when you have no clue! and alot of you when you come here kiss white butt. this makes me believe even more that we have difference experiences with white people.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

go ahead with your melanasian self. you rock wink you aren't african american. you are melanasian oh sorry i mean indigenous american

yes indigenous. not Melanesian but indigenous to this landmass.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:16am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:
I challenge your beliefs regarding history as we seem to have two different stories that don't coincide with mines. many blacks across the ocean hate black americans calling us lazy and saying we are doing this and that when you have no clue! and alot of you when you come here kiss white butt. this makes me believe even more that we have difference experiences with white people.

what do you mean by "black across the ocean"? melanasians? or africans?
just because we are all blacks doesn't mean that we share the same culture. even within africa, we fight and don't share the same cultures.
it's called cultural differences. you are an american afterall.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:17am On Sep 11, 2014
all4naija:
He is an American but African American. That is the complete fact.

On what fact? This man is native. What tribe does he hail from? If blacks decided to migrate to west africa how many of you will let them in?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:18am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

what do you mean by "black across the ocean"? melanasians? or africans?
just because we are all blacks doesn't mean that we share the same culture. even within africa, we fight and don't share the same cultures.
it's called cultural differences. you are an american afterall.

Again did you all not go through colonialism? Again we obviously have different experiences which points to the fact that they(Whites) treat you differently compared to native black americans.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:20am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

Again did you all not go through colonialism? Again we obviously have different experiences which points to the fact that they(Whites) treat you differently compared to native black americans.

now you are off on a totally different tangent. you sound bitter and resentful. whatever it is, drink some good tea and go to bed. you will feel better tomorrow. goodnight.

remember that hatred won't do your soul any good. let go of all the racial hatred. that's a good place to start.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 7:21am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

i caught on that she was crazy as soon as she said she hates whites.
then I started noticing that she didn't like the idea of the term "african" either.

So if a person hates whites it means they are crazy? Hmmmm! I wonder does that same logic apply to the Nigerians that hate African Americans?

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:21am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

#DEAD grin

Its funny how you are cosigning this idiot when there can be blacks in africa that look similar to those brown skin blondish brown hair Melanesians. so what? its not about chasing anything. but stupid people like you who have an inferiority complex believe this.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:22am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

So if a person hates whites it means they are crazy? Hmmmm! I wonder does that same logic apply to the Nigerians that hate African Americans?

those nigerians are also crazy if they say they hate african americans.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Okeikpu(m): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

She's African American.
Ahaa! Araputagom onwem.... grin
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:24am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Who knows! These people prove exactly what I stated. We ain't the same. People who have close contact with whites, never forget how these people operate thus we obviously don't have the same experiences. These same fools that are preaching about not hating whites hate black americans on the flip side. they don't use this same ideology when it comes to US. Only other people.

And we haven't did zilch to these people! they come in believing we are all lazy and stupid and ghetto 15 baby daddies etc. smh.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Words out of the mouth of a fool.
SHUT YA DIRTY FAT STINKING POOSY IDIOTA angry
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:27am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

now you are off on a totally different tangent. you sound bitter and resentful. whatever it is, drink some good tea and go to bed. you will feel better tomorrow. goodnight.

remember that hatred won't do your soul any good. let go of all the racial hatred. that's a good place to start.

Preach this to your own who come here with stupid preconceived notions. Atleast my ideology is based off history, Which clowns like you ignore. I mean should i f--cking ignore that these people used to kill my black men for just looking at a white woman? the shit happen just 30 years ago. but fools like you will want to join hands with such people and say forget. newsflash! they still operate the same they are still doing the same thing today. smh you I align with them i won't.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:27am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

Its funny how you are cosigning this idiot when there can be blacks in africa that look similar to those brown skin blondish brown hair Melanesians. so what? its not about chasing anything. but stupid people like you who have an inferiority complex believe this.

you are obsessed with the egyptians, north africans aka nubians and blonde melanasians for a reason. am i correct?
can you tell me what the meaning of "african booty scratcher" is? i've always wondered. seems like you were one of those AAs who liked to torment and bully african immigrants at school. and then when they graduate, and do well, you still complain.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:35am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:
Preach this to your own who come here with stupid preconceived notions. Atleast my ideology is based off history, Which clowns like you ignore. I mean should i f--cking ignore that these people used to kill my black men for just looking at a white woman? the shit happen just 30 years ago. but fools like you will want to join hands with such people and say forget. newsflash! they still operate the same they are still doing the same thing today. smh you I align with them i won't.

Ok then do what suits you.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:37am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

you are obsessed with the egyptians, north africans aka nubians and blonde melanasians for a reason. am i correct?
can you tell me what the meaning of "african booty scratcher" is? i've always wondered. seems like you were one of those AAs who liked to torment and bully african immigrants at school. and then when they graduate, and do well, you still complain.

I'm sorry were egyptians and north africans different from yoruba or igbo? or is this your flipping silly belief off your stupidity? even your own west african scholar made the connection between yoruba igbo etc and egyptians smfh. sit your arse down.

you are placing claims that i'm obsessed with these people and yet many people in socalled west africa look like some of these people. are you fu--ing stupid or what? those people are blacks they ain't no different from yoruba or igbo. ya'll are brothers. NA is the place that is being attacked what don't you get? If whites tried to claim any west african civilization black americans would be debating them on that.

i do not know what african booty scratcher is ask an ignorant black american that use that remark.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 7:39am On Sep 11, 2014
goodnight.
Let it go. like the frozen movie soundtrack says

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 7:43am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

And who the hell told you this? There are many blacks that still practice Vodun including my own family members. Sure the language was lost as we adopted some white culture but the idea that we lost everything is bullcrap. Not everything that happen here in the Americas was about blacks being beat or killed or any of that crap. Did you know that the civil war isn't what officially ended slavery? Did you know that the emancipation proclamation is bullcrap? Come on we need to rethink and relearn all that we were told, blacks were just being beat and waiting on the white man to free us from slavery. Neither were all of us slaves. And another hidden Gem alot of whites were slaves.

Did you know that natives were preferable as slaves than black in so called africa? I know exactly what i'm talking about and it isn't based of mainstream white bullcrap.

Take note I said Mainstream.

I never said they took all of our culture away(even though they tried) but they put our ancestors through hell, I'm not talking about slavery, but chattel slavery. We are a strong people to survive this and prosper in this country.

The Civil War was not declared to stop slavery, I call the end of slavery through the war a byproduct. lol
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:46am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

I never said they took all of our culture away(even though they tried) but they put our ancestors through hell, I'm not talking about slavery, but chattel slavery. We are a strong people to survive this and prosper in this country.

The Civil War was not declared to stop slavery, I call the end of slavery through the war a byproduct. lol

I suggest you research the gulla wars. Black folks freed other black folks from slavery. The civil war had nothing to do with us. I'm very proud of my people. Not all were slaves you know. So we have a very interesting history. The US knows that not all of us were slaves thus they won't give us any reparations because of this fact.

Also alot of whites were slaves, this is hidden history that many people don't discuss and when white folks do discuss they use it as a tool against black folks and claiming we should stop crying about slavery. it isn't that black folks are crying about slavery. they are really mad over jim crow and black code laws.

also white people through their movies keep on rehashing this slavery thing. why do you think this is? they always trying portray blacks as some weak people.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2014
jeffizy:
I'm willing to learn khiaa.
But I still maintain my 'ignorant' stand. grin

The fact that you are willing to learn is progress.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Okeikpu(m): 7:57am On Sep 11, 2014
It's time you modaphuckers pack ur stuffs n get your black-a$$ back to Africa to help build the land.... I'm tired of hearing ds African American shitt of thing... There r billions of opportunity waiting for you modaphuckers in Africa,especially in Niggeria.... How long will u guys keep singing n playing basketball for those skunks u called whites Besides I heard blacks in America r afraid of travelling.....?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Hero10001: 8:00am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Feeling inferior are you?
Inferior to what? Black or white?!
Oh, i'm neither one of em.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 8:03am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

I suggest you research the gulla wars. Black folks freed other black folks from slavery. The civil war had nothing to do with us. I'm very proud of my people. Not all were slaves you know. So we have a very interesting history. The US knows that not all of us were slaves thus they won't give us any reparations because of this fact.

Also alot of whites were slaves, this is hidden history that many people don't discuss and when white folks do discuss they use it as a tool against black folks and claiming we should stop crying about slavery. it isn't that black folks are crying about slavery. they are really mad over jim crow and black code laws.

also white people through their movies keep on rehashing this slavery thing. why do you think this is? they always trying portray blacks as some weak people.

Yes everyone knows there were free blacks, and I know the civil war wasn't about slavery but the enslaved blacks were freed after it ended stop trying to deny this part of history.

Some whites were servants mostly the Irish, who had to work untill they paid off their debts, which could be years, but no way were they slaves in the sense as our ancestors were. They weren't in bondage because of the color of their skin, they weren't born into slavery only to die in it. Two totally different situations.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18)

Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.