Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (58575 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Go Down)

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 8:11am On Sep 11, 2014
Hero10001:
Inferior to what? Black or white?!
Oh, i'm neither one of em.

Whatever your demonds are, you show signs of inferiority and low self esteem.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 8:13am On Sep 11, 2014
AKUNWATA1: SHUT YA DIRTY FAT STINKING POOSY IDIOTA angry

Keep talking you fool. cheesy
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:20am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Yes everyone knows there were free blacks, and I know the civil war wasn't about slavery but the enslaved blacks were freed after it ended stop trying to deny this part of history.

Some whites were servants mostly the Irish, who had to work untill they paid off their depts, which could be years, but no way were they slaves in the sense as our ancestors were. They weren't in bondage because of the color of their skin, they weren't born into slavery only to die in it. Two totally different situations.

Why do blacks like you peddle these lies taught you by white media and Alex haley bullshit? Why don't you all try to actually go out and seek the truth. That is total nonsense. Whites were slaves and they were treated just as harsh as the blacks. This part of history is hidden after they decided to make those(Irish) who were once designated as non white, white thus they all become apart of this socalled white race. They also want to push this bullcrap agenda that all slaves were black people. This is total nonsense, not all slaves were black africans smh.

Also the enslaved blacks weren't free because of it, but because of a set of wars that Our black men put into motion to fight against the establishment. smh.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Hero10001: 8:25am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Whatever your demonds are, you show signs of inferiority and low self esteem.
What "signs" and how? Are you for real?!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:26am On Sep 11, 2014
Black men are truly our protectors. cheesy
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Komex(m): 8:50am On Sep 11, 2014
Ptolomeus: Dear friend:
It is a broad topic.
In some countries, the African-American culture...!
Which one is "in some countries"? We are talk about America here.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 9:08am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

Why do blacks like you peddle these lies taught you by white media and Alex haley bullshit? Why don't you all try to actually go out and seek the truth. That is total nonsense. Whites were slaves and they were treated just as harsh as the blacks. This part of history is hidden after they decided to make those(Irish) who were once designated as non white, white thus they all become apart of this socalled white race. They also want to push this bullcrap agenda that all slaves were black people. This is total nonsense, not all slaves were black africans smh.

Also the enslaved blacks weren't free because of it, but because of a set of wars that Our black men put into motion to fight against the establishment. smh.

We all know that black men fought in the civil war, that is not news, and there is no way those whites were subjected to the same agony as my ancestors were. There were no chattel slavery with them. They didn't have chains around their heads and seen as unhuman. Yes we all know blacks weren't the only slaves but they were the majority, some Native Americans were slaves and they also owned black slaves.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Keep talking you fool. cheesy
ARE YOU A B.STARD DONT EVER QUOTE ME AGAIN angry
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 9:17am On Sep 11, 2014
AKUNWATA1: ARE YOU A B.STARD DONT EVER QUOTE ME AGAIN angry

Quoted you. hahahaha
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 10:05am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

We all know that black men fought in the civil war, that is not news, and there is no way those whites were subjected to the same agony as my ancestors were. There were no chattel slavery with them. They didn't have chains around their heads and seen as unhuman. Yes we all know blacks weren't the only slaves but they were the majority, some Native Americans were slaves and they also owned black slaves.

This is a lie. Why is slavery an anguish so entrenched into your mind? Black people aren't the only ones that went through inhumane conditions. Yes whites despite the story went through inhumane conditions. The only difference is the elite united them under the banner of the white race, and gave them freebies to keep us at bay. I'm not talking about black men fighting with whites. i'm talking about black africans who aligned with black aboriginals to end slavery. SMH these are the Gulla wars.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 10:10am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

This is a lie. Why is slavery an anguish so entrenched into your mind? Black people aren't the only ones that went through inhumane conditions. Yes whites despite the story went through inhumane conditions. The only difference is the elite united them under the banner of the white race, and gave them freebies to keep us at bay. I'm not talking about black men fighting with whites. i'm talking about black africans who aligned with black aboriginals to end slavery. SMH these are the Gulla wars.

There is no one in America, past or present who went through the agony of my ancestors (fact) so you can stop your bullshyt right here and now troll. Go back to stormfront and tell them you've been busted.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by GuyFawkes: 10:57am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

It's true.
Educate me please.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

I cosign you, but for your information we AAs on the west coast do celebrate our family reunions, as a matter of fact my family just recently celebrated ours, I talked about it in my posts.

Thanks.

Yeah I stand corrected. I never been to the west honestly. The reason I thought that was because AA's in the west are so far away.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 12:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
KidStranglehold:

Thanks.

Yeah I stand corrected. I never been to the west honestly. The reason I thought that was because AA's in the west are so far away.

The reunion can be held in any state it doesn't have to be in the south. Airplanes fly all across the US. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
And also I would ignore that mags5222 character. He/she seems to be unstable.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

The reunion can be held in any state it doesn't have to be in the south. Airplanes fly all across the US. cheesy

I always looked at family reunions as a southern thing.

Also I heard you discussing the Civil War and how it really wasnt about slavery. And it was and it wasn't but imo it didn't have the biggest impact on the freeing of the slaves. Most AA's don't know that prior to slavery they were resisting slavery. Check out this thread where I connect the dots.
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-seminole-wars-no-the-gullah-wars-a-war-oblivious-to-african-americans.210547/

Most of the sources I use are peer reviewed. smiley

You seem like you have a big interest in AA history and so I wanted to show you this.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

On what fact? This man is native. What tribe does he hail from? If blacks decided to migrate to west africa how many of you will let them in?
You have said the obvious. I cannot engage that very question for the fact that you cannot see Wesley Snipe is African American even when his biography says so. You just like to argue for argument sake!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

There is no one in America, past or present who went through the agony of my ancestors (fact) so you can stop your bullshyt right here and now troll. Go back to stormfront and tell them you've been busted.
How does going through pain of slavery shape this argument? The cultural value of that is nothing more than the past which we have to let it be so that we can move forward. I don't admire people who continuously dwell on the things of the past.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 12:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
KidStranglehold:

I always looked at family reunions as a southern thing.

Also I heard you discussing the Civil War and how it really wasnt about slavery. And it was and it wasn't but imo it didn't have the biggest impact on the freeing of the slaves. Most AA's don't know that prior to slavery they were resisting slavery. Check out this thread where I connect the dots.
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-seminole-wars-no-the-gullah-wars-a-war-oblivious-to-african-americans.210547/

Most of the sources I use are peer reviewed. smiley

You seem like you have a big interest in AA history and so I wanted to show you this.

Most black American knows about the gullah and the Seminoles war, I was taught that in high school in my black history class. The civil war was fought to preserve the union, Lincoln said he had no intentions in freeing the slaves nor changing the laws that would prevent slave owners from retrieving their runnaway slaves from free states. Lincoln was not the hero everyone thinks he is.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

Most black American knows about the gullah and the Seminoles war, I was taught that in high school in my black history class. The civil war was fought to preserve the union, Lincoln said he had no intentions in freeing the slaves nor changing the laws that would prevent slave owners from retrieving their runnaway slaves from free states. Lincoln was not the hero everyone thinks he is.

Most AA's I talked to(even from Georgia) appeared to be clueless on this subject. But yeah the Civil War was not really about "freeing the slaves". I like the topic of the "Gullah wars" because it proves that AA's were not just sticking ducks and did resist just like other blacks of the diaspora. We always kept fighting, even up to the civil rights moment.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 11, 2014
all4naija:
How does going through pain of slavery shaped this argument? The cultural value of that is nothing more than the past which we have to let it be so that we can move forward. I don't admire people who continuously dwell on the things of the past.

Don't really care about this debate, but its important to learn about the past. Its the reason why history is not only important but taught in our schools. Learning from the past actually makes us less ignorant and makes us learn from our mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 1:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
KidStranglehold:

Most AA's I talked to(even from Georgia) appeared to be clueless on this subject. But yeah the Civil War was not really about "freeing the slaves". I like the topic of the "Gullah wars" because it proves that AA's were not just sticking ducks and did resist just like other blacks of the diaspora. We always kept fighting, even up to the civil rights moment.
There was always resistance.
We are a strong people from good, strong stock. cheesy
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture.

So do you all think African Americans have a culture or not?

Of course they do. Their culture permeates global music today, and is in the mulch-billions in terms of value. Who says they don't? These are the people behind Hip-hop, Rock n' Roll, Reggae, Soul, etc. If that isn't culture, I wonder what is.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
KidStranglehold:

Don't really care about this debate, but its important to learn about the past. Its the reason why history is not only important but taught in our schools. Learning from the past actually makes us less ignorant and makes us learn from our mistakes.
To acquire knowledge is a learning curve and it is different from dwelling in the past. Such obsession leads to hate and damages as you have expressed in your posts here.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 5:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
all4naija: You have said the obvious. I cannot engage that very question for the fact that you cannot see Wesley Snipe is African American even when his biography says so. You just like to argue for argument sake!

You're an idiot African- American is a political designation coined by stupid Jesse Jackson! Anyone from Africa can come here and be African- American therefor its a stupid term to use seeing as wesley isn't from Africa but is from the Americas.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 5:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
KidStranglehold: And also I would ignore that mags5222 character. He/she seems to be unstable.

LOL what because I'm not saying im African-American? Why do your people claim my people and than turn around and talk shit about my people? Are you going to allow blacks to migrate to your countries?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 5:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

B--tch stop trying to make blacks all seem like they were f--king slaves! I hate clowns like you because you peddle this bullshit! Not all blacks were slaves so stop assigning a f---king slave designation to them. The issue happened during Jim crow, not fucking slavery. Everyone was a f---king slave.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
all4naija:
How does going through pain of slavery shape this argument? The cultural value of that is nothing more than the past which we have to let it be so that we can move forward. I don't admire people who continuously dwell on the things of the past.

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the past. Remembering allows people to navigate the future and take precaution. However this slave bullcrap is pure propaganda that they teach. When it is a fact that black people were never the only slaves. Which is a fact. This victim role that many id*ts have assume about blacks during slavery is crazy. Stop trying to make blacks seem like they were weak victims. They weren't.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

Furious? No determined yes. My people need to be educated about their story so they won't be a pack of morons believing that whites have good intentions.

Yes, you are! I have reminded you of that in my previous post prior to this reply. The education your people need the most is to get civilized and live organized life not gangster-ism displays in almost all things which involved them in the community. I don't see why white not having good intention for black people is the problem but the problem it the inability of the black people to make a change. You are only preaching against your beliefs. I don't think white is the major problem of the black people as you are making it to look.

mags5222:
I'm going to ask you this one more time. If I gave you information on books like the rocks cried out or excerpts on who these people seen when they first landed will you believe it? You see you can believe what you want. There is no such thing as a red indian. Only blacks and browns and even whites,. There is no proof at all that the bulk of the blacks here in the new world are descendent from slaves or even foreigners.

The people who the first Spanish ships expedition commanded by Christopher Columbus meet are Tainos(the native) who are much like the Red Indians. Meaning there is such thing as Red Indians. They are the native to the Americas. There is no evidence of white in the Americas before it's discovered. So you only have the Red Indians or the Tainos to be precise. It is clear almost all blacks in the Americas comes from Africa and negroid are found in part of Africa and Asia before the discovery. Those who are in the Americas are Mongoloid.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Meyers_b11_s0476a.jpg

mags5222:
But I'm done with you! When you claim there were no blacks that explored the americas before the slave trade, this let me know you're full of it.

That is a fact! There is no black who explores the Americas before Christopher Columbus. The people who have been there were the Tainos and they aren't black.

mags5222:
i'M SORRY but not everyone can socalled adopt my culture without giving its due respect. That is called cultural appropriation which many whites have did towards my people. So I don't accept your lame ideology because many of you aren't willing to think outside the box. I mean no one is surprised that the bulk of the afrocentric scholars are outside of africa, and many of you people ridicule them when they are trying to restore the glory lost.

Adopting a culture is not about respect is about admiring to emulate the community ways of doing things by acceding to their standard. Respect is not necessarily a prerequisite as you adopt it you have to do is follow it. That is not respect. That is the reason why modern culture is vastly made up of many different cultures. You are just asking for primitive idea to have sense of belonging which nobody is trying take away from you. But you are limiting yourself by doing that in the 21st century. Afrocentrism is a racist ideology. It has move the black people forward but limit them to a small region taking away many opportunities.

mags5222:
wrong! you're a fool to believe that its because of their skin color and not their history or how they act. i suggest you visit white forums to see what they say about people of our heritage. you are blant ignorant to which i have to ask again, did colonialism happen, because you people have forgot.

You have said it before you hate white. It is pronounced in your posts. White indeed is not actually about color in this modern time it is about culture. As such you systematically fail to see how that resonate around the world within the educated community. You don't expect all white people to be the same. Those who hate blacks and other skin colors are doing so out of blatant hate and ignorance. The same can be said of black people and others. By referring me to white forums doesn't make any difference and pointing to colonial is not relevant to the argument either. That is as bad as the different African tribes conquering another in the past and take command of their communities. The relevant thing is to provide how African American culture is unique from the originator back in Africa and get organized.

mags5222:
And yes their culture is barbaric and their history is a pack of lies. Do you think i would ever accept that blacks around the world were naked savages and that whites had to teach these people?

Your anger won't let you see the truth of this matter. Not all white people see the primitive culture as bad anyway but some educated Africans do. The idea to start dwelling in barbaric culture that hasn't helped to move Africa forward in this 21st century is waste of time and preposterous to say the least. If you want to remain in your primitive forefather ways without making changes be my guest and move back to the forest village and practice it there.

mags5222:
Wrong! you don't know anything of black american history how many of you know about tulsa and rosewood? don't peddle your crap to me! an intelligent person never forgets the past those who forget are endanger of repeating the past. these people didn't change their tactics! they are the same as their forefathers. but why should i convince you of this? we don't have the same story obviously.

You don't expect me to know everything and I can prove you too don't know everything about African America history. I am not peddling any false information and I don't say things beyond what I understand here. There is no argument intelligent doesn't dwell in the past either. Most of the things in the past are usually forgotten due to lack of evidences, documentations and time will come the past you are crying over would be forgotten. Forgetting about the past becomes a mind thing as time passes by. That is one of the reasons we have museum to exhibit these past activities.

mags5222:
What are you talking about? My point has always been that blacks are aboriginal and that our culture is american PERIOD.

Blacks aren't Aborigines. Blacks are negroid which is made up of all dark skin people mainly defined by phenotype more than genotype.

mags5222:
I challenge your beliefs regarding history as we seem to have two different stories that don't coincide with mines. many blacks across the ocean hate black americans calling us lazy and saying we are doing this and that when you have no clue! and alot of you when you come here kiss white butt. this makes me believe even more that we have difference experiences with white people.

You only accuse me of something I have no idea of , input it into me and claim that I hate African Americans as others across the ocean, which is far from being the truth. I don't call that a challenge but false accusation due to you fear and hate for others who disagree with your views. If embracing modern culture is kissing white bottom so be it. I cannot stand the idea of primitive people who continually refuse to make a change and get organized. Nevertheless, different people of different background usually have different experiences. I don't really understand what you mean by that last line of your post.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
KidStranglehold:

smh you're talking about two different wars...
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the past. Remembering allows people to navigate the future and take precaution. However this slave bullcrap is pure propaganda that they teach. When it is a fact that black people were never the only slaves. Which is a fact. This victim role that many id*ts have assume about blacks during slavery is crazy. Stop trying to make blacks seem like they were weak victims. They weren't.

Actually, you are now expressing my view making use of it as though it is yours. There is no much propaganda about African slavery. There are well documented records pointing to those facts. If you agree they weren't weak victims you are denying the truth of history. That weakness is the basic reason they could fend off the slave traders and progress beyond arts.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

You're an idiot African- American is a political designation coined by stupid Jesse Jackson! Anyone from Africa can come here and be African- American therefor its a stupid term to use seeing as wesley isn't from Africa but is from the Americas.
You are begging the question. The African in it stands for their origin. Africa is made up of many ethnic groups and nations. As such any African who comes to America can not be addressed as African American but by the nationality of origin as an antecedent to American. For example, Nigerian American, South African America, etc.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19)

Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.