Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (58577 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Go Down)

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:12am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

no trait is purely african but the trait can be mostly african.

I for example, for some reason, never get confused for an african american by sight. Most african americans see me and automatically assume (correctly) that I am african or they'll ask where i'm from. same with other africans and even non-blacks.
but I know that this is not always the case. I must have some traits that are African hence why people are able to make that distinction when they see me.

I mean I never said some black americans aren't ignorant, because I would never assume anything unless you are adorning your cultural dress or I heard you speak than I would know that of course you are foreign. People make these distinctions because of conditioning. Say for instance they also have the assumption that all hispanics look like the stereotypical mexican. Which is untrue. Or this belief that there aren't any blacks in Mexico. So you see this is based off these people ignorance instead of truth.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:16am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Ok then , sorry if the last part of my remarks hurt you.
but If you are American black or African black, how exactly would you describe your features?

We come in a different ray of features, we look similar to yoruba igbo bantu fulu at the same time there are some blacks here that look like australians and black asians. but i would describe as brown to black skin with wooly hair and flat nose some have thin noses and wavy hair. this is shared by alot of blacks around the world. i feel that we are own 1 big community of people just with our distinct culture and civilizations.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:17am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

I mean I never said some black americans aren't ignorant, because I would never assume anything unless you are adorning your cultural dress or I heard you speak than I would know that of course you are foreign. People make these distinctions because of conditioning. Say for instance they also have the assumption that all hispanics look like the stereotypical mexican. Which is untrue. Or this belief that there aren't any blacks in Mexico. So you see this is based off these people ignorance instead of truth.

nope. I wear regular american clothes and this is "by sight"

Of course the distinctions are made due to conditioning and experiences. you meet a lot of people with a certain trait and if they tend to be from the same place you associate those traits with the place.

if I saw this lady on the street for example, I would assume she was African although I may not know exactly what part she is from but the chances are very high that I am correct. she has african traits.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:18am On Sep 11, 2014
sexfiend: black americans are so dumb. any black person with light skin is considered mixed . most nigerians are born light skin but get darker as the sun darkens their skin.(ask any nigerian for their baby picture ans see for yourself ) for some reason ,only few people remain light skin . I have never used a sunscreen in my entire life , despite the fact that i use to play football in the hot sun. my skin appears more light than ever ,and yet there are people who step into the sun once and get tanned . it's just like some people who smoke into their 90s and live longer than those who don't smoke .
the stvpid black americans would say she is mixed .

Why are you attacking my people? Some are dumb yes. But for myself I don't believe that some Nigerians are light skin because of they admixture. we need to get out of this 1 look. black folks are diverse. we come in different shapes and colors.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:19am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

Of course the distinctions are made due to conditioning and experiences. you meet a lot of people with a certain trait and if they tend to be from the same place you associate those traits with the place.

if I saw this lady on the street for example, I would assume she was African although I may not know exactly what part she is from but the chances are very high that I am correct. she has african traits.

She has "Ethnic" traits, African traits includes every other black in the diaspora.
I am saying this, because you can guess she is black African, and not black American.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

We come in a different ray of features, we look similar to yoruba igbo bantu fulu at the same time there are some blacks here that look like australians and black asians. but i would describe as brown to black skin with wooly hair and flat nose some have thin noses and wavy hair. this is shared by alot of blacks around the world. i feel that we are own 1 big community of people just with our distinct culture and civilizations.

We are saying the same thing, you just want to remain stubborn to the fact that people can indeed look "African"

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:21am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

lol I'm sorry but I wouldn't. Unless she told me. There isn't an African trait. But there are traits for certain groups like say some dinka people you are right in which i would never assume that they are black American. however alot of melensians, black asians, and peeps from nigeria etc i wouldn't know, because there are literally looks that are similar between groups of people.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:22am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

We are saying the same thing, you just want to remain stubborn to the fact that people can indeed look "African"

lol how so? people can't look like a landmass silly. blacks in the socalled landmass called africa has been migrated in and out so how can we tell what is truly this or that?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:23am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

She has "Ethnic" traits, African traits includes every other black in the diaspora.
I am saying this, because you can guess she is black African, and not black American.

makes sense. and that is the point i'm trying to make. I personally look black african as opposed to black american.
and the crazy dude got mad at me for daring to say that I look african.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:23am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

the same blacks in the diaspora also share traits with black asians and pacific islanders as we would of course.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:24am On Sep 11, 2014
what I notice is that he has a problem with the term "africa" and wants to force us to use terms like "black" instead. he has the idea of "black americans" being at the top of the totem pole of blacks. he called them "dominate" to use his words. very silly dude
just like he hates whites, he also hates africans.

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

the same blacks in the diaspora also share traits with black asians and pacific islanders as we would of course.
BB King is clearly Ijebu .
whoopi goldberg is clearly from senegal or Guinea.
simple common sense should tell you that the fresh prince of bel air actress is from ibadan .
you must be a fool if you can't see clearly that Forest Whitaker is an igbo man .

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:26am On Sep 11, 2014
khiaa:

You took the words right out of my mouth. They don't believe there are all black American suburbs. smh

Yes, this is from media warfare against black americans. They have been nonstop with their attacks on our people. People automatically assume that all blacks are lazy thus they are more willing to ignore us when we cry out about lack of opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 11, 2014
red101: what I notice is that he has a problem with the term "africa" and wants to force us to use terms like "black" instead. he has the idea of "black americans" being at the top of the totem pole of blacks. he called them "dominate" to use his words. very silly dude

bwahahahahahahha shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:29am On Sep 11, 2014
red101: what I notice is that he has a problem with the term "africa" and wants to force us to use terms like "black" instead. he has the idea of "black americans" being at the top of the totem pole of blacks. he called them "dominate" to use his words. very silly dude

One I'm a woman 2 I don't want to be dominate over anyone. I called black american culture dominate culture. I didn't say it was dominate in Africa.

I don't hate the people on the landmass called africa I have nothing but love for the yoruba,igbo ewe, fulu etc. You haven't a clue. You are free to select your designation of whatever you want to be. I just don't want people to stereotype blacks. Claiming a distinction is not saying we hate you. stop being so mean to me. sheesh.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 6:30am On Sep 11, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Never heard of that.

It's true.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:31am On Sep 11, 2014
^^ In other words, you are Okay with looking "black", but not looking "African"

If Africa is just a landmass, black is just a colour undecided
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:31am On Sep 11, 2014
sexfiend: BB King is clearly Ijebu .
whoopi goldberg is clearly from senegal or Guinea

LOL its funny because I seen their twins in Melanesia..
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:32am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo: ^^ In other words, you are Okay with looking "black", but not looking "African"

I don't think that there is a such thing. Am I ok with being brown skinned and wooly haired? Yep I'am.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:33am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo: ^^ In other words, you are Okay with looking "black", but not looking "African"

If Africa is just a landmass, black is just a colour undecided

LOL true. But I think the people of black skin with different variations are connected and have shaped the history of the world.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

I don't think that there is a such thing. Am I ok with being brown skinned and wooly haired? Yep I'am.

Oh,..... finally you have come out ouf the closet...
Now I understand what is happening..

well, i think i can start viewing you and your comments from a different perspective now...

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by khiaa(f): 6:34am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

Question who taught you other wise? If I posted up this information including books excerpts will you be able to accept this fact, or will you go on to blabbing mainstream white mans bullshit?

The reality is you're African, meaning I'm more willing to put in the work of convincing my own than you. You're free to do what you want. I'm here to clarify that blacks are unique they have their own culture which is the American culture period.

She's not African, she's a white troll.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:38am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

makes sense. and that is the point i'm trying to make. I personally look black african as opposed to black american.
and the crazy dude got mad at me for daring to say that I look african.

LOL ok. I have no words. If you're going to buy into the stereotypical sub saharan look thats fine with me.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:40am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:
One I'm a woman 2 I don't want to be dominate over anyone. I called black american culture dominate culture. I didn't say it was dominate in Africa.
I don't hate the people on the landmass called africa I have nothing but love for the yoruba,igbo ewe, fulu etc. You haven't a clue. You are free to select your designation of whatever you want to be. I just don't want people to stereotype blacks. Claiming a distinction is not saying we hate you. stop being so mean to me. sheesh.

right. Europe is a land mass, Asia is a land mass, Africa is a land mass. America (north and south) is a land mass.
You didn't see any problem with the term "black asians" yet you have problem with the term "black african"
keep contradicting yourself. You are simply just a hater.

mags5222:
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 11, 2014
this is an igbo girl .
Brian Mcknight is from equatorial guinea or Gabon.

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:41am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

well, i think i can start viewing you and your comments from a different perspective now...

LOL ok... I don't think I was ever hiding. I came on the thread and let it be known.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:44am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

right. Europe is a land mass, Asia is a land mass, Africa is a land mass. America (north and south) is a land mass.
You didn't see any problem with the term "black asians" yet you have problem with the term "black african"
keep contradicting yourself. You are simply just a hater.

I mean I could use Negritos or Jomon people or Aniu would you know who these people are? I made it easier so people can understand, whereas I named the groups in socalled africa yoruba or igbo ewe fulu etc. You're trying to find an issue where there isn't. because you have an inferiority complex, which means the onus is on you and not me. Call yourself whatever you want. However I will not apply this to myself our my own.

And I even questioned the stereotypical european look. You're just being an overall jackass in this discourse.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:47am On Sep 11, 2014
sexfiend: this is an igbo girl .
Brian Mcknight is from equatorial guinea or Gabon.

LOL thank you for high lighting this photo of Brian. Notice the pronounced land bridges and the very bulbus nose.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:49am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

i caught on that she was crazy as soon as she said she hates whites.
then I started noticing that she didn't like the idea of the term "african" either.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by red101(f): 6:52am On Sep 11, 2014
mags5222:

I mean I could use Negritos or Jomon people or Aniu would you know who these people are? I made it easier so people can understand, whereas I named the groups in socalled africa yoruba or igbo ewe fulu etc. ... Call yourself whatever you want. However I will not apply this to myself our my own.

"so called africa" hehn? LOL
maybe you shouldn't have started the argument when I posted that I looked african. you clearly have an issue with me calling myself african looking. I have no issues with whatever you wish to call yourself.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 6:53am On Sep 11, 2014
red101:

i caught on that she was crazy as soon as she said she hates whites.
then I started noticing that she didn't like the idea of the term "african" either.

If this is what the guy assumed than both of you are idiots. I'm going to ask again did colonialism ever happen? Because you people have no concept of history whatsoever.

It was stated that whites committed many atrocities over there and yet you guys always linking up with them and peddling that bullshit about we are all one human race blah blah blah.

Many of you claim that blacks descend from your people and yet you treat white people better than your socalled own people. I have no need to convince you. As I know WHO I'am.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19)

Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.