Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad (16502 Views)

Is There Any Risk Sponsoring The Education Of A Girl You Want To Marry? / If Your Spouse Gains Scholarship To Study Abroad A Month After Wedding..... / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by osifred(m): 4:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
@OP you know its not necessary to start a topic. i mean what is wrong in sending a relative (that is not your child)abroad for education to enhance his/her of getting a job or starting a business of his/her own when the person returns back. i think is it selfish on your part to not want to assist anybody for greener pasture outside Nigeria unless that person is your study. the world will certainly not be a good place with such a mindset. cheers

not only do i plan sending my siblings abraod for higher education but even my nieces and nephews.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by NovusHomo(m): 4:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
I will never do it, I swear to God. Two reasons:
1.These are, for the most part, average and most often below average students. They are so ignorant and do not know anything about their rights. Now, bring them to a place like the USA and soon as they 'open eye' small they start claiming rights they never knew existed: right to shelter, food, education, health care; right to hang with the wrong crowd, sag their pants, stay out all night, etc., etc.... Now do not misunderstand me, but these put excess pressure on the kind sponsor.

2. If 'condition make crayfish bend', the owner should deal with the situation. If they cannot stand up and demand the afore-mentioned rights from Nigeria's rulers, if they are too scared to ask for an account of how public funds are spent, why should anyone else pick up the tab? It might sound brutal but it is the reality on the ground. In the particular (peculiar) context of Nigeria, helping people amounts to reimbursing their money that is stolen by others, not the helper. Unless the helper has access to public funds. In that case, well... By the way, this uncle doesn't give a crap.

ARISE, O COMPATRIOTS!

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Nobody did answer my question though. The Igbo chaps who finance their proteges in business - is that a gift also?

more like paying salary in arrears imho - i doubt if the apprentices get paid while in service
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 4:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
AjanleKoko: Heck, the former Bank PHB at some point was marketing loans for further study. But of course, once that money got to Nigerians, they absconded.

STFU !

stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Bank PHB was not offering the study loans for free. they demanded collateral - in the form of landed properties (the property must have C of O, which is fully verified) or stocks and shares (when the Nigerian stock market was booming)

the scheme ended up being unprofitable for the bank - thanks to the stock market crash.

but to say nigerians absconded after securing the loan from the bank is just you as usual displaying your ignorance
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 4:53pm On Aug 05, 2012
AjanleKoko: It has been a good read.
However, 99% of the Yays and Nays have been from a sentimental viewpoint. The truth is, there is no free lunch. And foreign education is not a necessity, it's a luxury. No employer in Nigeria asks expressly for foreign degrees. If people want to travel they should just say they want to travel. All that 'the educational system in Nigeria has collapsed' is just sentimental crap.

you are just re-echoing what you are well known here for - your disdain for foreign education.

if your post was simply all about people's views on acquiring foreign degree or not, i would have just ignored this thread.

but opening your dirry mouth to say someone from the average Nigerian school with an average degree and without a job like an average jobless nigerian youth cannot make it anywhere else and supporting such individual's desire to seek a foreign degree to broaden his opportunities in the challenging world we are in now is a waste of money shows that you are just a mean, old fool with a black heart who looks down on others and thinks he is all knowing and because you have a manageable career, so one else can do any better
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 05, 2012
http://businessworldng.com/web/articles/1312/1/Bank-PHB-Grants-Education-Loans/Page1.html

BANK PHB Plc is offering loans to Nigerians who wish to take advantage of the education and career development opportunities available in the United Kingdom.
The loan facility which is tagged the “Bank PHB UK Education loan” is aimed at encouraging eligible Nigerians to study in the UK universities through the provision of education finance facility.
The loan facility is a partnership product between Bank PHB and the British Council office in Nigeria, and is available for undergraduate and postgraduate studies in universities recognized by the British Council.
The facility is available to parents and guardians who wish to give their children or wards quality education in UK higher institutions, students who wish to pursue higher education in the UK and working individuals who want to pursue any undergraduate or postgraduate course in any UK university recognized by the British Council.
Parents who wish to assess the loan are required to have regular source of income or acceptable convertible collateral, while a student assessing the loan will be required to have a sponsor with convertible collateral who would assume the responsibilities of the borrower.
To assess the loan, parents or students are required to open a UK Education Account in the bank and build it up to 10 per cent of the school fees as advised by the school in question.
The built up amount, which is treated as refundable security deposit, attracts interest and is domiciled in a non withdrawal UK Education Account, held in the bank till the completion of academic programme.
The UK Education Loan covers 80 per cent of the school fees, accommodation, maintenance and flight tickets.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 05, 2012
Nigerians wake up and work hard. No free lunch.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by symbian03(m): 5:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
yamakuza:

my guy, just dey look ...

dis matter, no be today e start.

lol
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
sisieko2001:

STFU !

stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Bank PHB was not offering the study loans for free. they demanded collateral - in the form of landed properties (the property must have C of O, which is fully verified) or stocks and shares (when the Nigerian stock market was booming)

the scheme ended up being unprofitable for the bank - thanks to the stock market crash.

but to say nigerians absconded after securing the loan from the bank is just you as usual displaying your ignorance

trying very hard not to LOL here.
There must be something more useful you can contribute, beyond rants, abi?

Don't worry. Your foreign degree is not money wasted, I swear grin

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by SisiKill1: 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
In my opinion this is not a clear cut case of either RIGHT or WRONG.

If you can afford it and you wanna do it, go ahead.

If you can't afford it and you still wanna do it, more grease to your elbow.

If you can't afford it and you don't wanna do it. . .no one can fault you.

If you can afford it and you don't wanna do it. . .it is your money, do whatever pleases you (Jeez, that sounds like a confusing rhyme)

I think what most people have a problem with is the AIR OF ENTITLEMENT some people have over other people's money. Just because someone is your relative and he just happens to be wealthy does not mean he owes you anything. Would it be nice if he helped, of course but you can not force him to. Stop with the "He/She should have, They ought to have, they have to. . ." as evidenced on this thread, those phrases only end up pissing people off.

Please note that I am not advocating servitude to anyone just because you want them to help. Ask nicely but don't lose your self respect in the process.

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 7:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
sisieko2001:

you are just re-echoing what you are well known here for - your disdain for foreign education.

if your post was simply all about people's views on acquiring foreign degree or not, i would have just ignored this thread.

but opening your dirry mouth to say someone from the average Nigerian school with an average degree and without a job like an average jobless nigerian youth cannot make it anywhere else and supporting such individual's desire to seek a foreign degree to broaden his opportunities in the challenging world we are in now is a waste of money shows that you are just a mean, old fool with a black heart who looks down on others and thinks he is all knowing and because you have a manageable career, so one else can do any better

Ok stop right there kiddo. I've followed Ajanlekoko's posts in other thread, and I seriously doubt he has anything against a foreign degree. What he actually kicks against is a trend were Nigerian graduates run abroad for postgraduate degrees without gaining the necessary experience first. There absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 7:14pm On Aug 05, 2012
sisieko2001:

Ok stop right there kiddo. I've followed Ajanlekoko's posts in other thread, and I seriously doubt he has anything against a foreign degree. What he actually kicks against is a trend were Nigerian graduates run abroad for postgraduate degrees without gaining the necessary experience first. There absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nijanigga: 7:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
NovusHomo: I will never do it, I swear to God. Two reasons:
1.These are, for the most part, average and most often below average students. They are so ignorant and do not to know anything about their rights. Now, bring them to a place like the USA and soon as they 'open eye' small they start claiming rights they never knew existed: right to shelter, food, education, health care; right to hang with the wrong crowd, sag their pants, stay out all night, etc., etc.... Now do not misunderstand me, but these put excess pressure on the kind sponsor.

2. If 'condition make crayfish bend', the owner should deal with the situation. If they cannot stand up and demand the afore-mentioned rights from Nigeria's rulers, if they are too scared to ask for an account of how public funds are spent, why should anyone else pick up the tab? It might sound brutal but it is the reality on the ground. In the particular (peculiar) context of Nigeria, helping people amounts to reimbursing their money that is stolen by others, not the helper. Unless the helper has access to public funds. In that case, well... By the way, this uncle doesn't give a crap.

ARISE, O COMPATRIOTS!
You have said it all.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by jawjaw1: 8:12pm On Aug 05, 2012
@Op I want to make a comment to this topic but first, I need to know why you think a foreign education is a luxury.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ifyalways(f): 8:15pm On Aug 05, 2012
@topic, I see it as a responsibility, one that must be done as long as the money is available and the relative/student is the serious type.
I grew up in a culture, environment where family ties bind tight. Each child is a collective responsibility and every adult contributes to support, be it in academics or any other pursuit.
I had aunts, uncles and even long distant cousins who at various times gave me textbooks, school pocket monies even paid lesson fees etal for me so now I can only but extend same measure to other relatives, no 2 ways about that !
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by freeman11(m): 8:53pm On Aug 05, 2012
oyb:

you are a very good reason for this thread - imagine having to sponsor a lout like you through university - you can't even write coherent english

and you are slow to boot

i posted a link to your post history and quoted one of your posts

since you want to play rough. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/983400/please-need-experienced-career-advice

you are indeed doing very well. i pity the poor kids who will have an incoherent lout like you as a role model

jack of all trades and master of internet BS. money don enter bush finish.

your uncle first wasted money sending you to do microbilogy, which you found out you 'were not cut out for ' after 3 years

then IT project mgt

you then jumped to NIM

then to project management

then to lag biz school

now you are running around asking what should i do

all that money was clearly wasted.

your uncle should have found some one who didn't have his head in his arse - and the person would have sorted himself/herself out after one degree. the way you're going, i can see more courses in your future - perpetual student - thats what happens when you have no responsibility for fundin your education

small wonder aj dey vex on career board.

sorry o , this lumideezle to the weezle has faulted your assertion big time

kai... oyb, u don finish the skuldent
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 9:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
ifyalways: @topic, I see it as a responsibility, one that must be done as long as the money is available and the relative/student is the serious type.
I grew up in a culture, environment where family ties bind tight. Each child is a collective responsibility and every adult contributes to support, be it in academics or any other pursuit.
I had aunts, uncles and even long distant cousins who at various times gave me textbooks, school pocket monies even paid lesson fees etal for me so now I can only but extend same measure to other relatives, no 2 ways about that !

Wrong. It is NOT the responsibility of a well-to-do relative to pay the fees of a relative. And it is definitely NOT the right for the later to make such demands. A rich relative may decide to sponsor someone if he/she IS WILLING to. The others have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to make any demands.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ifyalways(f): 10:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
In your hood, its not any relatives responsibility, in mine, it is.
Let's agree to disagree, sir!
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by stevencurrency: 11:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
You are like one of my uncle that I set Ablaze..!
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by birdman(m): 11:48pm On Aug 05, 2012
ifyalways: @topic, I see it as a responsibility, one that must be done as long as the money is available and the relative/student is the serious type.

Textbook and pocket money is not the same as sponsoring someone abroad. Its like taking your cousins to Mr Biggs once in a while versus buying them an SUV every now and then - one is reasonable, the other is excessive, and no relative should expect you to do it.

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by kuntama: 12:38am On Aug 06, 2012

Idiot. The word has moved on! Do textbooks equate the cost of a foreign university? Does pocket money equate a £15000 annual fee?
Prat. Nigerians need to stop asking for handouts and stand up strong and proud. WHERE IS OUR NATIONAL WEALTH?
Why cant we see the bigger picture? Any relative who can afford to sponser a foreign education and is working in Nigeria is ONE BIG THIEF.
There is no honest paid employment that allows that level of surplus.
Honestly, we are born stupid.
Is this really what the next generation are bitching about?

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Truckpusher(m): 2:58am On Aug 06, 2012
Dumb post with dumb pple responding...including me!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 4:34am On Aug 06, 2012
Nigerians and their self-righteousness, and the same OP will be thumping bible/quran tomorrow - to show how holy he/she is smh..

If you're in a position to help - do it because you've got a good heart.

There's nothing bad in helping a relative, or even a stranger if you can... undecided undecided
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by otondo55: 8:40am On Aug 06, 2012
If you were born when community send people abroad, alot will still be grounded by now.

Dont have the relative as parasite for life, help him/her to catch fish not giving him/her fish.

If you dont have the money, say you dont have not looking at your friends or ranting.

Some relatives are even better than our own children when the ship is down, mind you.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 8:40am On Aug 06, 2012
ocelot2006:

Again I ask: IS IT YOUR MONEY? Did you give me/your relative a damn kobo? If you still feel butt hurt about that, do me a favour-go and give a live NEPA transformer a lapdance. Nonsense.

this is the idiocy you guys wear like a badge of honour....it's not about being my money or whatever you wanna call it. it's about being charitable and responsible if you are capable!
what you troglodytes don't know is the phenomenon is mostly cyclic. people don't just ask for these favours without feeling a remote sense of entitlement!

for instance, chief okoro sponsored emeka's postgraduate studies abroad 20 yrs ago, emeka later became successful in his profession while chief okoro's now retired with kids still struggling to forge ahead in their career. is it irrational for chief okoro's son to seek help from emeka?

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 8:56am On Aug 06, 2012
coogar:

this is the idiocy you guys wear like a badge of honour....it's not about being my money or whatever you wanna call it. it's about being charitable and responsible if you are capable!
what you troglodytes don't know is the phenomenon is mostly cyclic. people don't just ask for these favours without feeling a remote sense of entitlement!

for instance, chief okoro sponsored emeka's postgraduate studies abroad 20 yrs ago, emeka later became successful in his profession while chief okoro's now retired with kids still struggling to forge ahead in their career. is it irrational for chief okoro's son to seek help from emeka?

Sharon,
I honestly think you'd fare better on a topic related to Manchester United's poor preseason grin

But seriously now. Charity is very different from what we are discussing here. Sending people to college abroad from Naija can't be classified as charity. Sending kids to primary school in Naija can be classified as charity.

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 9:05am On Aug 06, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Sharon,
I honestly think you'd fare better on a topic related to Manchester United's poor preseason grin

that's because you are a pillock with poop for brains.....a team that's yet to lose a single game is having a poor preseason? yet you wonder there are more intelligent horses than you @ the olympics....you started a dumb topic - you are being called out and faced with tough questions, you have resorted to ebonics known to kids suffering from trisomy 21.

far majority of the people who pursue relatives aggressively for this kind of aid do so because they feel entitled to it. probably because they know this relative of theirs was also helped at one point in their lives. how many total strangers have knocked on your father's door begging £40,000 to school @ imperial college!

i have always known you to be an airhead - you are a witless apprentice. i have never seen you make an intelligent comment anywhere apart from the same archaic and vacuous reasoning. if you feel challenged, stop hiding behind the curtain and show me how clued up you are in critical reasoning...... i have thrown down the gauntlet!

AjanleKoko:
But seriously now. Charity is very different from what we are discussing here. Sending people to college abroad from Naija can't be classified as charity. Sending kids to primary school in Naija can be classified as charity.

you are a consummate retard!
charity: the voluntary giving of help, typically money, to those in need.
where did it say it has to be N50,000 or 5 gazillion?

if you can help, do so - if you cannot, then say so and stop dragging your needy relatives in the mud on a public forum!
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 9:16am On Aug 06, 2012
coogar:

that's because you are a pillock with poop for brains.....a team that's yet to lose a single game is having a poor preseason? yet you wonder there are more intelligent horses than you @ the olympics....you started a dumb topic - you are being called out and faced with tough questions, you have resorted to ebonics known to kids suffering from trisomy 21.

far majority of the people who pursue relatives aggressively for this kind of aid do so because they feel entitled to it. probably because they know this relative of theirs was also helped at one point in their lives. how many total strangers have knocked on your father's door begging £40,000 to school @ imperial college!

i have always known you to be an airhead - you are a witless apprentice. i have never seen you make an intelligent comment anywhere apart from the same archaic and vacuous reasoning. if you feel challenged, stop hiding behind the curtain and show me how clued up you are in critical reasoning...... i have thrown down the gauntlet!

This thing dey pain you ga-an sha!
I bet your hoping your benefactor isn't reading this, and having a serious rethink about your stipend grin

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 9:25am On Aug 06, 2012
AjanleKoko:

This thing dey pain you ga-an sha!
I bet your hoping your benefactor isn't reading this, and having a serious rethink about your stipend grin

yet more baloney! it must be noted nigerians know nothing about charity.
if you keep wondering why the country is backwards with the 50 churches per street you guys have down there then look no further than charity!

even with the fact that you have kept your money away from your relatives and you go to church everyday of the week, your life is still miserable grin it has to be miserable because you missed out on the fundamental law - "love thy neighbour as thyself"

the people in developed countries don't go to church like una. they hardly even believe there's a God up there but when it comes to charity - they don't joke with it. it has been embedded in their psyche to always give and that explains why they live a better life! ajanlekoko, continue to hoard your money - around the corner awaits armed bandits that would take it from you in exchange with slaps, kicks and probably sodomy! tongue
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ade101(m): 9:28am On Aug 06, 2012
Thanks to everyone for giving this dude a fair slap in the face.At first, he expected comments that will support his pathetic point view.The many non-supportive comments seen so far goes to show how wrong you are.I would be glad if you and others like you can learn from those comments. Thanks.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 9:35am On Aug 06, 2012
ade101: Thanks to everyone for giving this dude a fair slap in the face.At first, he expected comments that will support his pathetic point view.The many non-supportive comments seen so far goes to show how wrong you are.I would be glad if you and others like you can learn from those comments. Thanks.

LOL.
Learn what exactly? How to make money online? grin
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Duxe(f): 10:00am On Aug 06, 2012
@poster..
An uncle of mine is offering 2 take me out 4 'beta opportunities' d moment am done wt youth service..n mind u,i did not graduate wt a 1st-class n av done nothing 4 him 2 merit his concern.
So watcha saying is...since am nt a 1st class n av done nothing 4 him,i dnt deserve his kindness? Or he's being stupid or wat(esp as it was entirely his idea n i didnt ask 4 his help)? Or am not goino mk it der n he's wasting resources?

I av NEVA entertained d thot of staying outside naija..but d fact dat he(out of love) offered 2 support our family(wanting nothing in return) has taught me a lot of things.

I believe helping or supporting a relative is by choice..n not a rt/responsibilty. If u av wat it takes n u dnt wana help,u av a choice 2 luk d oda way. Its not/has neva been by force.

So stop ranting over nothing!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Dont Know How To Be Men!! / Husband Paid His Wife House Rent For Good 10 Years: Unknownly / The Nigerian Man Who Has 86 Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.