Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad (16480 Views)

Is There Any Risk Sponsoring The Education Of A Girl You Want To Marry? / If Your Spouse Gains Scholarship To Study Abroad A Month After Wedding..... / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2012
I have a question, folks. and it's very simple.
Why do people sponsor relatives to study abroad? I mean, it's becoming a fad nowadays. Youth in Nigeria leave school, can't find a job for whatever reason, and they ask their well-off relative to sponsor them abroad for further studies. In fact, the well-off relative is maligned and labelled as wicked and selfish if they don't do it.
Nobody has asked me to do it though, but I have many friends who have done it for siblings, cousins, even distant relatives. Honestly, I don't get it.

I am hard put to understand why I should send anybody who is not my child abroad for further studies, just on the face of it. I mean, it's not like these kids are brilliant, and won some scholarship or something, and needs assistance to fulfil their dreams. Just the average jobless Nigerian youth, with the average degree from the average school, who is trying to escape the country. Why should I do it? Education abroad is very expensive, and should be earned by the person who wants it. I mean, I can do it for my own child if I had the money, but even that requires some thought. Would I buy an SUV for my child, simply because he needs to get around and public transport is not all that in Nigeria?

Would like to hear other views.

4 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by obowunmi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2012
Don't be wicked my brother. LoooL

You know Nigerians have inferiority complex. Even a dummy that schooled in India is seen as better than a Nigerian graduate. Na conditon make crayfish bend. It is indeed a trend, but "abroad" includes Ghana, India, South Africa, Namibia...lol

Anything but a Nigerian university education. Sad reality.

5 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by MrGlobe(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2012
STFU... with your stup!d rant. Did anybody force you.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by obowunmi(m): 4:48pm On Aug 04, 2012
LooooL @ globe
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 4:49pm On Aug 04, 2012
obowunmi: Don't be wicked my brother. LoooL

You know Nigerians have inferiority complex. Even a dummy that schooled in India is seen as better than a Nigerian graduate. Na conditon make crayfish bend. It is indeed a trend, but "abroad" includes Ghana, India, South Africa, Namibia...lol

Anything but a Nigerian university education. Sad reality.

Agreed, na condition.
But isn't it a bit overreaching to expect some relative to sponsor your education abroad? I don't understand why someone who did not do particularly well in Nigeria should expect someone to fork out some millions of naira to send him abroad to school, no questions asked. Simply because the person knows him, and should 'help'. Or maybe I am missing something?

Mr. Globe:

am sorry sah embarassed tongue grin

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nitrogen(m): 5:01pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Agreed, na condition.
But isn't it a bit overreaching to expect some relative to sponsor your education abroad? I don't understand why someone who did not do particularly well in Nigeria should expect someone to fork out some millions of naira to send him abroad to school, no questions asked. Simply because the person knows him, and should 'help'. Or maybe[b] I am missing something[/b]?

Infact, you are......

Seriously, it is a way of helping others that want to get more education but do not have the resources, since you can, just do it cos they want it for the better of their lives. I can call that 'necessary extended family responsibility'

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nitrogen(m): 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2012
Btw, it is optional.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by otokx(m): 5:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
Strange indeed
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 5:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Agreed, na condition.
But isn't it a bit overreaching to expect some relative to sponsor your education abroad? I don't understand why someone who did not do particularly well in Nigeria should expect someone to fork out some millions of naira to send him abroad to school, no questions asked. Simply because the person knows him, and should 'help'. Or maybe I am missing something?

this has to be be one of the dumbest posts i have read here in a long time.

your level of reasoning is amazingly low. yet, you work as a telecomms engineer at mtn
so because someone failed to secure a good job in Nigeria, the person is doomed for failure in another country

i know from your posts here that you have a disdain for foreign education but as they say, ignorance is bliss.

so you know, there are lots of people that weren't lucky to get jobs in Nigeria after nysc and today are working with investment banks, oil companies and top multinational companies abroad (after their masters).

you fail to realise that Nigeria as a country offers limited opportunities for young graduates.

if you are in the position to help this relative, then go ahead or STFU.

how much is the fees that you are ranting over rubbish!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 5:34pm On Aug 04, 2012
Mr. Globe:

seconded !
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nitrogen(m): 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2012
^^^ are you fustrated or wat, why vent that on him? For sanity's sake, it is his view and not yours nor perhaps that of most, so?

5 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 5:40pm On Aug 04, 2012
nitrogen: ^^^ are you fustrated or wat, why vent that on him? For sanity's sake, it is his view and not yours nor perhaps that of most, so?

just telling him the blunt truth.

he reeks of arrogance and he thinks he is all knowing.

just read the rubbish he is spewing about his own relative.

so because the guy has failed to secure a decent job in Nigeria, the dude cant make it anywhere else.

if its that simple, he should get a job for the relative at MTN then. not call center operative o.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 04, 2012
Da hell!

This, Coming from a supposed 'intellect'??
Whatever happened to the option . . .NO!

Ummm Oh yeah, we get it, you are rich. . . Arrogant sod!

3 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2012
OMO IBO: Da hell!

This, Coming from a supposed 'intellect'??
Whatever happened to the option . . .NO!

Ummm Oh yeah, we get it, you are rich.

intellect my a.s.s !

wats the biggie in helping a relative in need of help - going abroad to seek greener pastures/study

or did the poster help him get a 300k per month job at mtn and he refused accepting it
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nitrogen(m): 5:52pm On Aug 04, 2012
^^^ una don take this thing personal o.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 04, 2012
sisieko2001:

intellect my a.s.s !

wats the biggie in helping a relative in need of help - going abroad to seek greener pastures/study

or did the poster help him get a 300k per month job at mtn and he refused accepting it

Ma'am, that was my (lame) attempt at being sarcastic.

But yeah I agree with you. It shouldn't be that much of a big deal if he can afford it. Afterall he is rich
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko: I have a question, folks. and it's very simple.
Why do people sponsor relatives to study abroad? I mean, it's becoming a fad nowadays. Youth in Nigeria leave school, can't find a job for whatever reason, and they ask their well-off relative to sponsor them abroad for further studies. In fact, the well-off relative is maligned and labelled as wicked and selfish if they don't do it.
Nobody has asked me to do it though, but I have many friends who have done it for siblings, cousins, even distant relatives. Honestly, I don't get it.

I am hard put to understand why I should send anybody who is not my child abroad for further studies, just on the face of it. I mean, it's not like these kids are brilliant, and won some scholarship or something, and needs assistance to fulfil their dreams. Just the average jobless Nigerian youth, with the average degree from the average school, who is trying to escape the country. Why should I do it? Education abroad is very expensive, and should be earned by the person who wants it. I mean, I can do it for my own child if I had the money, but even that requires some thought. Would I buy an SUV for my child, simply because he needs to get around and public transport is not all that in Nigeria?

Would like to hear other views.

ajanlekoko - what a plonker!
i have seen more intelligent horses at the london olympics
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2012
OMO IBO:
Ma'am, that was my (lame) attempt at being sarcastic.

But yeah I agree with you. It shouldn't be that much of a big deal if he can afford it. Afterall he is rich

yeah, i understood your sarcasm wink
i only emphasized it
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by pictures: 7:35pm On Aug 04, 2012
Most of them don't want to work anymore , even to
start business , they will say the environment is bad for
business. If you even help one, the rest will not be happy
and still want to travel. If you have the money ,do whatever you can to
help your relatives. After all no one will carry wealth to the other world
after death.

3 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by yamakuza: 8:46pm On Aug 04, 2012
nitrogen: ^^^ una don take this thing personal o.

my guy, just dey look ...

dis matter, no be today e start.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2012
coogar:

ajanlekoko - what a plonker!
i have seen more intelligent horses at the london olympics

Hush, child tongue

sisieko2001:

just telling him the blunt truth.

he reeks of arrogance and he thinks he is all knowing.

just read the rubbish he is spewing about his own relative.

so because the guy has failed to secure a decent job in Nigeria, the dude cant make it anywhere else.

if its that simple, he should get a job for the relative at MTN then. not call center operative o.

I don't work at MTN. I can't help anyone get a job there. Sorry.

nitrogen:
Infact, you are......

Seriously, it is a way of helping others that want to get more education but do not have the resources, since you can, just do it cos they want it for the better of their lives. I can call that 'necessary extended family responsibility'

cheesy cheesy
Thanks for being 'gentle' with me grin. This is a controversial topic, so I can understand the outrage from the complaining kids wink

But I need to understand a bit more why or how that is a necessary responsibility.
By the way, I most definitely cannot afford to pay anyone's school fees abroad. Nigeria, most definitely, abroad, not a chance.

My point is, people I know who do that can't necessarily afford it - they just do it to get people off their backs.
Imagine if you had 2, 3, or 5 relatives, all of whom are hoping to travel abroad. Maybe you are the only person that's reasonably comfortable in Naija. Are you expected to pay school fees for all of them? Considering that you probably paid school fees for the one they went to in Nigeria.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by armyofone(m): 10:03pm On Aug 04, 2012
if you have enough to do it, then go ahead. i would prefer the relative won some scholarship though.
It is expensive going to school outside naija. Even ITT and other mushroom colleges are costly.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 10:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
armyofone: if you have enough to do it, then go ahead. i would prefer the relative won some scholarship though.
It is expensive going to school outside naija. Even ITT and other mushroom colleges are costly.

I'm still challenged. Is that a good enough reason to do anything? I mean, my son wants an SUV, and i can afford it, so i just buy it?
I think there must be a reason why some of the developed countries offer loans to students who want to further their education. If I offered a relative a loan, would they pay it back, or would they expect it to be a no-strings dash?
After all, Igbo traders give loans to their proteges to start up. Or do they dash them the money?
If I offered you a loan to study abroad, would you agree to take it? Would you feel bound by honour to pay it back, or just say 'That's my share of his wealth', like Nigerians are wont to do?

Just asking.

4 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 10:24pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I'm still challenged. Is that a good enough reason to do anything? I mean, my son wants an SUV, and i can afford it, so i just buy it?
I think there must be a reason why some of the developed countries offer loans to students who want to further their education. If I offered a relative a loan, would they pay it back, or would they expect it to be a no-strings dash?
After all, Igbo traders give loans to their proteges to start up. Or do they dash them the money?
If I offered you a loan to study abroad, would you agree to take it? Would you feel bound by honour to pay it back, or just say 'That's my share of his wealth', like Nigerians are wont to do?

Just asking.

ooh shut up with your woes already....."poor me - my relatives are milking me dry"!
if you cannot afford to send someone abroad, tell the people holding you to and stop wasting bandwidth with your thoughtless comments and lethargic line of reasoning!

far majority of the students who get expelled in naija unis go abroad and cop first class degrees for fun so your point is watery. people send relatives abroad to better their lives. I would willingly do it than have a relative establish a parasitic relationship with me for the rest of my life .....

yes, there's a reason loans are offered in developed countries and that's because schooling abroad is expensive! that said, there's a gulf in the cultural difference. the students who get loans from the government are not bound to give handouts to their parents when they start doing well - unlike his naija counterpart who was sponsored by his parents/relatives so spot the difference!!!

4 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 04, 2012
Shut your orifice you conceited twunt.
If your wad isn't swole enough to send your relatives abroad simply tell them NO!

Quit looking for a pat on the back for your inadequacy. If you can't do it you simply cannot do it.

May I also suggest you stop looking at what your friends and colleagues are doing.

Utter nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 10:54pm On Aug 04, 2012
coogar:

ooh shut up with your woes already....."poor me - my relatives are milking me dry"!
if you cannot afford to send someone abroad, tell the people holding you to and stop wasting bandwidth with your thoughtless comments and lethargic line of reasoning!

far majority of the students who get expelled in naija unis go abroad and cop first class degrees for fun so your point is watery. people send relatives abroad to better their lives. I would willingly do it than have a relative establish a parasitic relationship with me for the rest of my life .....

yes, there's a reason loans are offered in developed countries and that's because schooling abroad is expensive! that said, there's a gulf in the cultural difference. the students who get loans from the government are not bound to give handouts to their parents when they start doing well - unlike his naija counterpart who was sponsored by his parents/relatives so spot the difference!!!

gbammmmmmm !!!! grin grin grin

OMO IBO: Shut your orifice you conceited twunt.
If your wad isn't swole enough to send your relatives abroad simply tell them NO!

Quit looking for a pat on the back for your inadequacy. If you can't do it you simply cannot do it.

May I also suggest you stop looking at what your friends and colleagues are doing.

Utter nonsense!

CO-SIGNED @ BOLDED

DOUBLE GBAMMMMM @ THE REST OF YOUR COMMENT

@OP
Your yeye dey smell. no be small.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 11:00pm On Aug 04, 2012
coogar:

Calm yourself, child. Save your histronics for your Man United thread.

Nonetheless, i'll take you up on your last paragraph. If I sponsored you abroad, why would I need a handout from you? Sounds illogical.

sisieko2001:

gbammmmmmm !!!! grin grin grin

CO-SIGNED @ BOLDED

DOUBLE GBAMMMMM @ THE REST OF YOUR COMMENT

@OP
Your yeye dey smell. no be small.

Looks like somebody didn't sponsor somebody abroad grin
Hope you still managed to get there sha tongue

3 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 11:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Looks like somebody didn't sponsor somebody abroad grin
Hope you still managed to get there sha tongue

you really should stop reasoning through your anus. seriously undecided

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 11:11pm On Aug 04, 2012
sisieko2001:

you really should stop reasoning through your anus. seriously undecided

You didn't answer my question wink

But seriously now. This thing no be fight. Why not tell me what your opinion is. Frankly you can abuse me all you want, it makes no difference. I'd really like to know. If I offered someone a loan, rather than an outright gift, is anything wrong with that?

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by sisieko2001: 11:23pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You didn't answer my question wink

But seriously now. This thing no be fight. Why not tell me what your opinion is. Frankly you can abuse me all you want, it makes no difference. I'd really like to know. If I offered someone a loan, rather than an outright gift, is anything wrong with that?

you've made your views known already in your earlier posts. don't waste your time trying to 'tone' things down.

why are you changing gear and referring to it as a loan?

AjanleKoko: Just the average jobless Nigerian youth, with the average degree from the average school, who is trying to escape the country. .

just hear yourself. What an arrogant Arrow you are.

its common knowledge on nairaland that you are always against foreign degrees. maybe its because you could not afford it back in the days or you could not get someone to sponsor you. or maybe you just envy those that had the opportunity hence the reason why you cant be bothered to help any of your relative now that you have the means.

you better change the way you think and reason. God is watching you in 3D
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by somebody(f): 11:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
If you can afford it comfortably, why not? If it will be a stretch on your finances, then it should be a NO to the relatives.

You can't even tell ones ability by their grades in Nigerian universities so you have no way of knowing if the relative will excel while studying 'abroad'.

Personally, I will give a relative the opportunity to study abroad if they are dedicated and I can afford it.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 12:37am On Aug 05, 2012
somebody: If you can afford it comfortably, why not? If it will be a stretch on your finances, then it should be a NO to the relatives.

You can't even tell ones ability by their grades in Nigerian universities so you have no way of knowing if the relative will excel while studying 'abroad'.

Personally, I will give a relative the opportunity to study abroad if they are dedicated and I can afford it.

You know, I haven't been able to figure outwhat the underlying sentiment is here, from most people.
The reason why i say this is . . . well, companies award scholarships to people who graduate with certain grades. So does the government, to some extent anyway.
For those companies, many of them require some form of after-school service, a bond of sorts. You are usually expected to work with them after graduation.
Even universities abroad that offer scholarships to Nigerians also require something, maybe some teaching or research ability.

So in this situation, you are 'awarding scholarship' to that relative of yours, without any pre-qualification (since you say that grades should not be held against anyone), no requirement to pay back (since you say it is freely given), and no bond of any kind (the beneficiary is free to go).
Judging from other posts, everyone else seems to feel the same way. I have to conclude, in that case, that maybe everybody is looking at it from a beneficiary standpoint.

Let's put ourselves in the shoes of the donor for a minute. is that scenario you painted truly feasible? If you were benevolent to one relative, at what point would you draw the line? 2? 3?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do Pregnant Women Fart So Much? My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts... / Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? / My Fetish Husband Deceived Me, Married Me With Charm – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.