Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem (77718 Views)

Troops Recovers Large Cache Of Arms And Ammunitions At Gursum (photos) / Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / Every State Get Dem Own Flag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by naptu2: 10:56am On Aug 08, 2012
johnie: I don't see anything wrong with this if we are truly a federation.

I remember clearly that each state had its own distinct coat of arms when we had twelve states.

Lagos still maintains its coat of arms and flag.

The colours of the Lagos flag can be found on the LBIR logo. One of these pictures shows the flag of Lagos State beside that of the country.

Meanwhile, let's see the Bayelsa flag and coat of arms.

cheesy That's the flag my dad gave me when I was a kid. Also had the Lagos State track suit (grey, with the Lagos colours down the side ala adidas). The crazy thing is, I just drove past the flag (hanging from a flagpole). Will go and take a pic when I'm free.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by naptu2: 11:13am On Aug 08, 2012
I've found it!!! I've found it!!!

The Ogun State anthem. It was so beautiful, I used to wake up early each morning to listen to it.

Ise ya a
Ise ya a a
Ise ya a a
Omo Ogun ise ya a
Olodumare ise ma ya o e e
Ise ya

Enyin omo Ogun e se giri
Ise po fun wa lati se e e
Omo rere ki isa se e
Omo Ogun ki i s’o le e
Ebere gb’eru o o
Olorun mbe fun wa
E tera mose o o
Ise ya

Omo Ogun ise ya a

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Camilia247: 11:35am On Aug 08, 2012
Every state now is trying to become a brand, like cross river state, rivers state, a good one at least to boost the image of the state and attract investors, I hope d educate pple abt it b4 the start thinking that de want to form Anoda country...Don Duke branded CRS, Destination Cross River , with state anthem and flag, now CRS is tourism haven.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by ministergh: 11:47am On Aug 08, 2012
Bad or good will depend on thee mindset of the bayelsa people. In Ghana, the Ashanti people which is a kingdom has its own calender, flag(yellow,black and green)...and even has more respect forr the ashanti king than the president. When the king ask for a land to be vacated, they will but will not if th president says so. Inspite of that they know they are still ghanaians. They say... Am an ashanti nd a ghanaian.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by johnie: 12:15pm On Aug 08, 2012
The laws of the federation recognises that states could have their own flags:

Flags And Coat Of Arms Act, Chapter 148, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990

Section 4

(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, if in any public place in Nigeria the National Flag is to be exhibited or flown for any purpose, it shall not be exhibited with or be flown on the same staff or cross bar with the flag of any State, or the flag of any Commonwealth or foreign country; and the National Flag or any other flag when exhibited or flown shall not appear in a defaced or tattered condition; but the National Flag shall not be deemed to be defaced by reason only of the fact that it is embodied in or forms part of a State flag.

(2) Where the flag of any State is flown in the State to which it relates or elsewhere than in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, it shall not be necessary for the National Flag to be flown at the same time; but if the flag of a State and the National Flag are to be flown at the same time in a public place in that State or elsewhere in Nigeria, the National Flag of at least the same size as the State flag shall fly above that of any State flag.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by johnie: 12:21pm On Aug 08, 2012
naptu2:

cheesy That's the flag my dad gave me when I was a kid. Also had the Lagos State track suit (grey, with the Lagos colours down the side ala adidas). The crazy thing is, I just drove past the flag (hanging from a flagpole). Will go and take a pic when I'm free.

Naptu2, you are the man! Where did you did those old flags from.

I used to be fascinated by those state crests in those days. I remember there was a particular one that had a crocodile on it.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 08, 2012
naptu2: I've found it!!! I've found it!!!

The Ogun State anthem. It was so beautiful, I used to wake up early each morning to listen to it.

Ise ya a
Ise ya a a
Ise ya a a
Omo Ogun ise ya a
Olodumare ise ma ya o e e
Ise ya

Enyin omo Ogun e se giri
Ise po fun wa lati se e e
Omo rere ki isa se e
Omo Ogun ki i s’o le e
Ebere gb’eru o o
Olorun mbe fun wa
E tera mose o o
Ise ya

Omo Ogun ise ya a

God bless you naptu2.....missed that on radio on OGBC early morning shows back then in Egba.

I think people should leave this backward mentality that associates state flags..anthems as sign of separation tendency.

To me I will situate as state-branding.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by johnie: 12:34pm On Aug 08, 2012
If you look behind the governor and his guests, you would see two flags - the flag of the federation (on the left) and that of the state on the right.

If my eyes are not deceiving me, you would see that the state flag is fixed slightly lower than that of the federation, i believe in accordance with the law:

2) Where the flag of any State is flown in the State to which it relates or elsewhere than in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, it shall not be necessary for the National Flag to be flown at the same time; but if the flag of a State and the National Flag are to be flown at the same time in a public place in that State or elsewhere in Nigeria, the National Flag of at least the same size as the State flag shall fly above that of any State flag.

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by mikkymi1(m): 1:15pm On Aug 08, 2012
SlyIg: Long Live d Federal Republic of Bayelsa!!!
Long Live d Federal Republic of Ogoni!!!
Long Live d Federal Republic of Biafra!!!
YES S S O O O O O....
na so
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by drnoel: 1:16pm On Aug 08, 2012
smile4kenn: Is this sign that Nigeria is about to Divide?

Its too late to divide people!

Let us join hands together and uphold this great country people

http://www.carsdey.com/

not true. Travel outside and u will see that most states in their different countries also have their coat of arms flag and athem.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Pataki: 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2012
Bayelsa has been nothing but a heap of disgrace to the nation Nigeria.

So who cares? undecided
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by lorddannie: 1:44pm On Aug 08, 2012
smile4kenn: Is this sign that Nigeria is about to Divide?

Its too late to divide people!

Let us join hands together and uphold this great country people

http://www.carsdey.com/
why?
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by lorddannie: 1:51pm On Aug 08, 2012
foyeks2001: If this is true...then we are getting there
Oodua Republic-mainly Lagos,Ogun,Oyo,Osun,Ekiti and Ondo States...No Kwara nor Kogi, even Edo...
Federal Capital Territory wld b in Osun...
Then be ready to face tawun
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by sansid(m): 1:51pm On Aug 08, 2012
In a federal system of govt,states r allowed to ve their own flags and national anthems.America is a good example and it is a sign of coming of age in our practice of federalism.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by banki(m): 2:10pm On Aug 08, 2012
good Move by the bayelsa state government you see some time ago a certain Rauf Aregbesola did the same thing in osun SOME PEOPLE HERE criticised him SOME PEOPLE THERE EVEN QUESTIONED HIM.... i guess on this forum and in this country logic is always turned on its head
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by flexdee(m): 2:27pm On Aug 08, 2012
dayokanu: https://www.nairaland.com/914217/fg-puts-aregbesola-under-security

Can we also say Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa is also mad?

No mind that beaf jare, he's a confused fellow.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by MusicCafe: 2:28pm On Aug 08, 2012
On this forum...logic is dead!
banki: good Move by the bayelsa state government you see some time ago a certain Rauf Aregbesola did the same thing in osun SOME PEOPLE HERE criticised him SOME PEOPLE THERE EVEN QUESTIONED HIM.... i guess on this forum and in this country logic is always turned on its head
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by ekpebasseyjam: 4:05pm On Aug 08, 2012
HAVE THEY BECOME AN AUTONOMOUS?OR GAIN INDEPENDENT AND WHEN WAS THAT SUPPOSE TO BE tongue[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by naptu2: 6:25pm On Aug 08, 2012
johnie:

Naptu2, you are the man! Where did you did those old flags from.

I used to be fascinated by those state crests in those days. I remember there was a particular one that had a crocodile on it.

Thank you. I think the flag with the crocodile is the Rivers State flag (it's on page 3).

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 08, 2012
kobikwelu: I find nothing wrong with this..as far as the flag is flown below the Nigerian flag, it is absolutely ok
seriously? Signs and symbols are very significant in human existence
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by obongtunji: 10:24am On Aug 09, 2012
Cross River State have state anthem and state flag, I love it......lop
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by ODB2: 10:26am On Aug 09, 2012
Pataki: Bayelsa has been nothing but a heap of disgrace to the nation Nigeria.

So who cares? undecided

and has supplied over 500billon dollars of oil money since independence.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Truckpusher(m): 5:44pm On Aug 10, 2012
Yesooo !!! forward we march to true federalism and all the lazy ass states,people and region that depends on federal Government handouts that comes from the niger delta only to turn around and call them fools would be exposed and some states will look like congo in the 80s....OH YE NIGERIANS EVERY MAN TO THINE OWN TENTH.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Truckpusher(m): 5:51pm On Aug 10, 2012
O_D_B:

and has supplied over 500billon dollars of oil money since independence.
because your three major tribes that are criminally minded keeps playing politics and intimidating them ,not until they took up arms and died in their hundreds.
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by Truckpusher(m): 5:59pm On Aug 10, 2012
Pataki: Bayelsa has been nothing but a heap of disgrace to the nation Nigeria.

So who cares? undecided
how?What do you expect when you have your three major tribe holding the Niger Delta under gun point while each of them rape her one after the order and only to turn around and call her a fool,now them dun wise up...
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by naptu2: 7:19pm On Aug 10, 2012
[size=14pt]State-owned Flag, Coat of Arms and Anthem Law[/size]

In line with the vision of the founding fathers of our dearly beloved state and given this administration’s stand on Ijaw mobilization, Ijaw integration and the need to promote Ijaw fundamental interest, which clearly is not subordinate to any other interests, the government of Bayelsa State has given its approval to have a state-owned emblem to mark and strengthen our sense of identity as a state.

The decision was taken at the end of the 7th meeting of the State Executive Council held on Monday 6th, August 2012. Accordingly, the State Executive Council has approved a flag, state anthem and Coat of Arms for Bayelsa State which will reflect the colours and symbols of the Ijaw nation and it will be put to use as soon as His Excellency, the Governor of Bayelsa State, Hon. Henry Seriake Dickson, gives his accent to the law which has just been passed by the State House of Assembly.

This decision also underscores government’s belief that this state, like any other state, is where the Ijaws, the fourth largest ethnic nationality, has as its home. Bayelsa is home to all Ijaws both at home and abroad. The emblem therefore will help serve as a unifying force and rallying point for all our people. It says a lot about the preservation of our culture, our essential values as a people and as a race. These are the qualities that distinguished us and makes us who we are – proud, great people of the Ijaw Nation; irrepressible in spirit, a people that are second to none in this country. There is therefore need to project our culture and uniqueness as a people. There is the need to preserve our proud values and pass them on as part of our heritage.

Hence, once the law is accented to, the emblems will be officially unveiled to the public. The point must however be made clear that the step taken by our government to announce the proposed launch of a state owned flag, anthem and coat of arm is not in any way different from what other states in the federation have done. It is common knowledge that virtually all the states in the southwestern region such as Lagos, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ogun and Ekiti State - have since launched theirs. The most recent was the North Central state of Kwara.

In the South-South, Cross River and Rivers State are the only two states in the region that has embraced this noble concept. In the case of Rivers, it was done since the 1970s.
We believe that Bayelsa State, being the only state that can be considered as the home state of the Ijaw race, deserves even much more to blaze this trail than any other state in the federation, given its uniqueness. This much is true because of the emphasis we place on the propagation of the Ijaw ideals and what we stand for as a people, the Ijaw ideology.

More importantly, as a government, we view the decision to launch the state-own emblem, as critical to our development and it matches our drive to project Bayelsa State as a world-class tourist destination, the new frontier for eco-tourism and an investment haven.

The emblem that is soon to be launched represents a unique form of branding for our dear state and we believe it holds the key to our collective abilities as Bayelsans and Izons to stand for what we believe in, if we must make tangible progress going forward.

http://www.bayelsa.gov.ng/home/news/latest-news/536-state-owned-flag-coat-of-arms-and-anthem-law
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by ITbomb(m): 6:56am On Aug 11, 2012
johnie: The laws of the federation recognises that states could have their own flags:

Flags And Coat Of Arms Act, Chapter 148, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990

Section 4

(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, if in any public place in Nigeria the National Flag is to be exhibited or flown for any purpose, it shall not be exhibited with or be flown on the same staff or cross bar with the flag of any State, or the flag of any Commonwealth or foreign country; and the National Flag or any other flag when exhibited or flown shall not appear in a defaced or tattered condition; but the National Flag shall not be deemed to be defaced by reason only of the fact that it is embodied in or forms part of a State flag.

(2) Where the flag of any State is flown in the State to which it relates or elsewhere than in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, it shall not be necessary for the National Flag to be flown at the same time; but if the flag of a State and the National Flag are to be flown at the same time in a public place in that State or elsewhere in Nigeria, the National Flag of at least the same size as the State flag shall fly above that of any State flag.
Which other law is there in that book
Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by naptu2: 1:17am On Aug 13, 2012

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by naptu2: 8:06am On Aug 13, 2012
Benin Republic flag (during the Mid-West invasion of 1967).

Re: Bayelsa Adopts Own Flag, Coat Of Arms And Anthem by jidejide2(m): 8:59am On Mar 17, 2016
You are mad u this person

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Attempt To Declare Saraki Acting President Fails At Senate / Dot In A Circle: Enyinnaya Abaribe Wearing 'The Dot Nation' T-Shirt (Photos) / Man Sacked For Supporting President Buhari (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.