Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,705 members, 7,813,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal (13102 Views)

Arms Contract Scandal: Senator Saraki Blackmailed CBN Officials To Pay N250M / Obasanjo In Auto-Crash, Escapes Unhurt - Today.ng / Obasanjo In Igbo Attire, Poses With Igbo Leaders (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by jaybee3(m): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2007
@ mamajama,
What happens if you give the cops a fake name in the US? I know you will be locked up in the UK until you prove your true identity.
According to the newspapers she admitted using an assumed name so as to eliminate the question of public office holder using her name to get a contract in the government. So admitting to such act means she is guilty on that front
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Mamajama(m): 4:36pm On Dec 20, 2007
That is a question of ethics and morality. Nigerian law has flaws on ethics just like any other nation.

We do not have penalty for such offence in Nigeria even though it is unacceptable for a public office holder.

My question now is was the contract performed to the full requirements? was the cost of the contract over inflated?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by babasin(m): 4:41pm On Dec 20, 2007
Granted that Senator Iyabo's actions in this transaction is deplorable and she should not have been involved in this type of deal; which she readily acknowledged herself.

She used 'false pretence' to defraud NIGERIA and deny us electricty!

This is not ONLY deplorable but a criminal act as stated in 419 law . Its crystal clear. She is a fraudster

That is a question of ethics and morality.  Nigerian law has flaws on ethics just like any other nation.

you only deceiving yourself.  419 act is very clear. attached again for ALL to read.

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by BigB11(m): 4:57pm On Dec 20, 2007
Guys, do not waste time discussing this issue with MAMAJAMA. I don't care how you select to see this allegation, it is absolutely a bad news for MAMAJAMA and his family.
If Iyabo Obansanjo could be busted and arrested, what hope left for OBJ's regime thieves like EHINDERO?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by PAPABOMBOY: 5:01pm On Dec 20, 2007
Naija!!!! Where una dey go?

This long tory wey una dey call "due process" wey that Ole himself Aondoakaa use to let ex-poli-thie-cians waka, nah una wan use let this chick waka. Again I ask, where una dey go?  Hmmm, nah everybody sabi play sense man o.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Mamajama(m): 5:03pm On Dec 20, 2007
BIGB1 willyou stop turning this thread to ISALE EKO market place.

it amazes me how you want all this people investigated and prosecuted, have you ever stopped and think of the implication of investigating IBB, AbDUSALAM and ABACHA?

Dude, i am done talking to you, you are still a typical Hausa boy that bought his Education with bribe.

WHere did IBB get the money he used in funding OBJ election?  does his parents has oil farm in Saudi or Dubai?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by debosky(m): 5:19pm On Dec 20, 2007
@ babasin - the contract was CANCELLED, so how did she deny you electricity?

The whole deal sounds shady, but if it not illegal to use a pseudonym as a contractual name, then in that sense she may not be guilty. The case is in court, the Prince dude says its because the company has lost the case in court in Nigeria and is in the process of losing in Paris that they are now trying to use blackmail. . .Lets see how the whole issue pans out.

Sounds like a group of thieves (the foreign company included) bickering over a deal gone bad, I doubt if they themselves didn't know about all this before going into the deals, they are all crying out because of the loss of the contract.

Nevertheless, if Iyabo used her position as a commissioner or president's daughter to curry favour for this company in the contract awards, then she and the awarding authority/minister or perm sec need to be prosecuted for abuse of office and corrupt practices.

Lets see what else comes out of this allegation. Oga Prince is out of the country and will tender documents to back up his claim when he returns, lets see how it goes.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by komputang: 5:40pm On Dec 20, 2007
Timi I learnt long time ago not to indulge in senseless online arguments with people who no matter what you say will never change their views. But I will make an exception and contribute here because you made a very valid point about Nigerians using foreign companies. I will tell you a story, some months ago one of the states in the south invited us (Nigerian company in Lagos)  to submit a proposal for a particular project, without collecting any consultation fees or anything, we went there saw what was on ground and produced an extensive proposal which was about 55% of what they had budgeted.

The technical people in this particular dept were quite happy and accepted our proposal, however when it was submitted to the Governor, we were advised to arrange a date to come and do presentation to the Govenor, the person giving the advice who was incidentally the Deputy Gov, he furthered advised that we should bring one or two white people to come and do the presentation. Why I asked? Well you know if he sees an Oyinbo man he will be very convinced said the Dep Gov. Now I have made Technical presentations to very big companies in Europe and consider myself competent on the subject area, so you can imagine my shock at somebody asking me to go look for an oyinbo man to come and present my own solution in my own country simply bc some village idiot passing himself off as Gov prefers an Oyinbo! A lot of Nigerians dont know that  oyinbo people often times offer solutions that dont work in Naija because such were based on wrong assumptions and lack of knowledge of Naija. We also have a client in Naija who has an Oyinbo man based in Lagos as his adviser, when we submitted a proposal the first thing the oyinbo asked was that we marked  up everything by 10% and pay the diffrence into his UK account, meanwhile the company is using him because the MD does not trust Naija people!

It is clear in this story that the foreign company is simply blackmailing his Nigerian partners. Twice they went to court and lost on both ocassions. Some people are underplaying the importance of a Naija man wining in a court in Oyinbo country. That can only mean one thing ie the Naija man has a water tight case. Like somebody said, these foreigners have lost in court and and simply want to damage their former partners and unfortunately some people are not seeing through this.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by nigeriaone: 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2007
ThisDay newspaper is either running a scam or trying very hard to put Iyabo Obasanjo into trouble,  I run the story thru many search engine, No sure story , where this day got it, I wonder,

IS the press that bad, Ok the president press secretary use to work for them, I can see ??/ I get what is going on, They are trying to bring her down, Nigeria politics na wa,  
But why will the presidency want to destroy Obasanjo child?? I do not get you nigerian??
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by babasin(m): 5:52pm On Dec 20, 2007
@ babasin - the contract was CANCELLED, so how did she deny you electricity?

Because, the contract would have gone to competent contractors and job would have been finished and people enjoying light now.

But since Iyabo, the thief cornered the contract which later got cancelled;

time wasted,
it becomes more expensive,
more people make money from generator bought during this period
more kids died of malaria since no electricity during that period
more industries that could have survive collapsed during that period

It goes on and on. We need to see the WHOLE picture.

This is not only 419 act, it is also economic sabotage.

This further explains why NEPA never worked under OBJ and it could explain why IGE was killed.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by debosky(m): 6:02pm On Dec 20, 2007
the projects were transmission projects, so with the epileptic state of generation in general, you cannot make any claims to this having denied you any electricity when there was no electricity to transmit in the first instance wink

Building NEPA poles without power to pass through it doesn't mean a thing. Don't somehow try to show you have some mind reading powers to link this project cancellation to anything else. . .all that exists in your mind, till you provide some proof that is wink

This issue emanated from late 2005 into 2006, or didn't you read the article? How on earth can this now be linked to Ige??

You are grasping at straws my man, you have no shred of evidence to attach this to anything else. There is no 'economic sabotage' involved - a deal can go bad at any point and there are no guarantees in business.

It may be an act of 419 or corruption due to use of influence, but that is all it can be based on the available evidence. and until that is proven, you cannot say any more.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by kokorunna(m): 6:07pm On Dec 20, 2007
Noting surprises me in naija, the whole OBJ Family are CROOKS.

Like father like daughter wink
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by nigeriaone: 6:20pm On Dec 20, 2007
Before you judge Iyabo Obasanjo please do a google search and find out if the thisday is not make up the story. I did, I cant find story anywhere, I know Segun Adeniyi use to work for thisday and close to Nduka, So what is going on, Thisday is about to have credibilty problem, And so will EFCC, Do a check the whole story does not exist in Europe, so where did THISDAY get thier story, From ASO ROCK why, power play,

I once said on Nairaland when Obasanjo was in power, that they would try to take the senate sit of Iyabo if Obasanjo leaves office, I would look for the link on Naira and point to it for you. Even Obasanjo should be careful, same hiden people would be after him, If care is not taken it may lead to the remove of Yar Adua by the house. They are trying to weak the support based of Yar Adua, by the end of the day, he would have noone supporting him. All the ex governor are already against him , too many arrest of ex governor. and dont forget most of this senator and house member are friends to this ex governor, thier Godfather, Look yar Adua may go down by the end of the day, Who know who is behind this confusion. this look like a civilian coup in play. This may not be good for Nigeria.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by debosky(m): 6:27pm On Dec 20, 2007
stop fearing a conspiracy theory nigeriaone, the story is factual, Prince Awofisanya or whatever he's called confirmed it, so did Iyabo in her interview, so it is not a made up story. The report also says the EFCC looked into it around the middle of last year. The outcome of that investigation was not made public as far as I know.

Why would the story exist in Europe? it is a simple contractual disagreement between business partners taken to a court of arbitration. . .there are more important issues to make the news in Europe.

This is not a case of anyone being 'after' Obj, if she has a case to answer, let her defend herself in court as she is doing, the public has a right to know about these happenings and make a judgment themselves.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by voghor12: 6:48pm On Dec 20, 2007
EVERYBODY SHOULD BE CAREFULL. THERE IS NO LONGER AN UNTOUCHABLE IN NIGERIA.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Akolawole(m): 7:24pm On Dec 20, 2007
Even though the name is somehow.

Iyabo's Mum used to be Miss Akinlawon.

I believe  OBJ and his Children would be so careful about things like this.

Of course they are not saints but they are not nonentities in the "happenings" in Nigeria Politics.

@Debosky

Good contribution Debo.

The eyes that sees well
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by tonte(m): 8:03pm On Dec 20, 2007
ugly theives but almost all naija politicians are crooks so pls no crucifixion 4 now we just hope all crooks end in jail but y another OBASANJO!!!!!!! dats scary
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by blueband(m): 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2007
I am sure Obasanjo will be doubting Iyabo's paternity as no owu person is a thief!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by babasin(m): 8:49pm On Dec 20, 2007
Iyabo's Mum used to be Miss Akinlawon.

I believe OBJ and his Children would be so careful about things like this.

well they have been exposed. if this had not gone wrong, nobody would have known about.

she even went to Austria to sign-the-contract. this is premeditate fraud. not one-chance-fraud

This issue emanated from late 2005 into 2006, or didn't you read the article? How on earth can this now be linked to Ige??

contract are usually delayed in Nigeria between inital annoucement and actual award and commencement of work.

This would have been in the pipeline since 2001

we should now ask for REVIEW of all contracts awarded during OBJ.

each board-of-directors of such companies must show-up physically to be identify

I am sure Obasanjo will be doubting Iyabo's paternity as no owu person is a thief!
grin cheesy grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by eazyman(m): 8:53pm On Dec 20, 2007
if EFCC doesnt act appropriately now, then it should be scraped, no sacred cows please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Mamajama and Debosky: I bet you are enjoying from the ill-governed ways in Nigeria. If not keep mum!!!!!!!!!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Chiori(m): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2007
Do not run ahead of your shadows. You all have the constitutional right to compel any court of law to try the alleged fraudster, Iyabo Obasanjo. So why not just do that and quit the rhetorics and invectives.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by debosky(m): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2007
babasin now I know you're not to be taken seriously at all. . .now YOU know that it has been in the pipeline since 2001?

what is this 'premeditate fraud' you are babbling about? She in no way defrauded the company, there was a contractual dispute and the whole issue ended messily with the parties being angry at each other.

Your English seems to be failing you too 'to be identify' grin grin Dude take it easy with the Obj-phobia, nothing has yet been proven wrong.

M Schneider Energy Nigeria (MSEN) that was the contractual Special Purpose Vehicle was not owned by Iyabo, her firm simply owned 10% of it. . .it is virtually impossible to begin tracing the origin and source of each and every company and the companies behind those companies when trying to execute every single project. The most important issue is competency, which this set up met up with as long as M. Schneider of Austria was a technical partner wink

The only potential 'fraud' here is whether she used her position as commissioner or the president's daughter to influence the contract. Nothing more.

the EFCC is said to have investigated the issue in 2006. . .lets see if any pronouncement will be made as to the results of their investigation. Prince Awofisanya says the company lost the case in court while in Nigeria - there might well turn out to be no evidence of wrongdoing by Iyabo Obj.

Mr. Ferdiii no one is enjoying anything, but if you are to achieve any true change, you need to be able to look at issues dispassionately and separate personal grouses/opinions from facts and truth.

If it is indeed proven that she is guilty, by all means throw the book at her. The evidence as of now is on shaky ground, we await EFCC's report and the verdict of the court. Note the case is being heard in Europe under 'breach of contract' not as a corruption offence.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by babasin(m): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2007
This is what Iyabo said:
Iyabo said she was not directly involved in the business. “I know Prince Awofisayo. Sometime ago, he invited me to be part of a business he wanted to do. Some of these proposals work, other times they don’t. Prince said I should not worry, that he would fund the entire project. I told him since I was a commissioner, it could raise issues of conflict of interest. We agreed to go into the business all the same. Prince formed a company and did all the ground work. We agreed that I should use a different name, yes, because in law there is nothing wrong with that. Even the arbitration panel in Paris, on which a judge of the high court of England sat, agreed that legally, there was nothing wrong in that.

Simple Analysis:
I know Prince Awofisayo. Sometime ago, he invited me to be part of a business he wanted to do. Some of these proposals work, other times they don’t.

This shows she has been dealing with this guy for long. And many of their projects worked: so she has enriched herself and used her influence as president daughter. can she be honest and tell us those that worked? Oil lifting?, Arik air?

atleast we know one of  those that failed, which has now exposed her. thanks God. is EFCC still hiding more of such?

Prince said I should not worry, that he would fund the entire project. I told him since I was a commissioner, it could raise issues of conflict of interest.
This shows she fully trusted him with her life/intergrity or she trusted OBJ to defend her. if this guy is not your Papa. There must be very GOOD-BOND for her to trust him more so, she is public figure.

We agreed to go into the business all the same. Prince formed a company and did all the ground work. We agreed that I should use a different name, yes, because in law there is nothing wrong with that

if She is not bringing anything to the project, why should Prince called her and get her to fly Vienna and sign contract? why would they both agreed to use 'false' name for Iyabo?

This is slam-dunk-case. She stands no chance in a serious law court.

Again, this is NIGERIA. let nobody cry that Babasin did not speak-up!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 20, 2007
Debosky

Your English seems to be failing you too 'to be identify' Grin Grin Dude take it easy with the Obj-phobia, nothing has yet been proven wrong

LOL, na today you sabi babasin? I don beg the guy make e follow me dey knack broken e no gree

@Babasin

Again, this is NIGERIA. let nobody cries [/b]that Babasin did not speak-up

Yes you u [b]spoken
and am witness it. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by desgiezd(m): 10:22pm On Dec 20, 2007
This is just the beginning, I firmly believe that a whole lot of revelations are on the way. At the end of the day, we would know that OBJ and his people are the exact opposite of what they want us to believe!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by davidif: 11:26pm On Dec 20, 2007
"Like father like daughter" grin grin grin

@seun
you this seun, you and this your "where is the source" didn't you see the source (link) that he posted. Abi do you not know what a source is? A source is simply where you get your information from. End of story, aba.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by EmekaNaija(m): 11:36pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Seun

Using a 'FAKE name' to register a company is criminal.
Can you quite the relevant section of the constitution to back up that claim?

I am shocked to see this statement made by you.

You might do yourself loads of good by knowing the meaning of fraud and forgery. That would help you realize the seriousness of this matter if taken to a jury that knows its onions. If for anything, she attempted to deceive the state by giving off a different identity so she is not seen as the commissioner. That is a crime against the state. In fact, this constitutes both a criminal case and a civil case. She could be liable to her partners and yet still go to jail for the crime against the state.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by ludwig: 12:54am On Dec 21, 2007
What we are seeing in the country verify the notion that corruption and fraud are the pet children of our rulers and their siblings. God will surely judge them.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by Pain(m): 2:11am On Dec 21, 2007
This Is Just The Beginning of the Drama. The Past King Will Surely Dance Nude in The Market Square. I Heard "Operation Market Square" is in the Making. Dont tell anyone I told You. lipsrsealed
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by lawyer(m): 3:43am On Dec 21, 2007
Just for the record, am posting relevant sections of the companies and allied matters ( CAMA) act to nullify iyabo's claims

Section 292 (1) cama: " Every company shall keep at it's registered office, register of its directors and secretaries

Section 292 (2) cama : " The register shall contain the following particulars with respect to each director, that is to say HIS PRESENT FORENAME AND SURNAME, ANY FORMER FORENAME AND SURNAME, his usual residential address, his nationality, his business occupation, if any, particulars of any other directorship held by him and the DATE OF BIRTH

Now if iyabo used an alias name to register the company and act as a director of the company, is it not in violation of section 292 (2) cama? Because obvious the name is fake, address is fake and date of birth is fake. So therefore, she is not a director of that company because she has contravened this section.

Section 82 cama : If anyperson falsely and decietfully impersonates any member of the company and thereby obtains or endeavours to obtain any benefit due to such member, he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not more than 7 years or a fine.

If iyabo has registered the company under another name which is fake and not existing and she is actually obtaining or endeavouring to obtain a benefit from the company which she isnt a member, isnt she in violation of section 82?

Bottom line, she is not a director of the company and if she is not, it remains only 1 person since she said the company was formed by only 2 of them and a company can only be formed by a minimum of 2 directors. So therefore, the company doesnt even exist under the law
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo In Contract Scandal by nigeriaone: 8:11am On Dec 21, 2007
http://NigeriaONE.com

" conspiracy"  you call it

I have been watching Thisday newspaper,  I verify all their news,  Some of there news are not true,  So you better been careful who you believe. The word of God says the heart of man is wicked, 

Now what I am saying is where did thisday get the story,  from "Aso rock" through Yar Adua press secretary Segun Adeniyi may be, 

Look Yar Adua would be remove by the power that be,  he is in everyone wrong book at moment,  Remember how they won the election. Remember what role ex governors play to put him there.  Most of them now hate their decision,  How many of them as he lock up,  Look most of the senate and house are product of the ex governor. The same people who supported Yar Adua have a profile of contract excuted by Yar Adua govt while in Katsina state,   So you think they would not use it again Yar Adua and have him remove,  Ex governor plus Obasanjo,  versus Yar Adua with no political base,  With IBB, Atiku and Kingibe still dreaming they should be president,    Dont forget the ex governor favour this others 3 over Yar Adua but it was this same baba iyabo, that manipulated the PDP to make sure he get there.   And most of them consider him an ungrateful person. Rememer the role Ibori play at the PDP convection, where is Ibori now,  Mr Fix it for Yar Adua,  Remember Fayose was the head of the governor that did is Fix president,  where are they now ,  Prison ,  I forgot Merry Christmas Ibori and Fayose in jail.  Do you know any EX governor   that want to touch YAr Adua, they would end up in jail. Nuru is no more in control of EFCC,  shadow leader now,  It should tell you YAr Adua is on is way out,  First reading of the house. they would give him a boot. when they kick him out, even EFCC would  go with it.

He made a mistake by listening to wrong advice,  You see the word of God says a house divide again itself would not stand,  The house that brought him to power, he as destroy,  Now he has no foundation to lay on,  My people no man destroy its foundation and stand solid.

This look like Hollywood movies to me,  It is like the Italy mafia, the capo child,  Na wahala you dey look for,  that same capo that help you to power,   What Yar Adua enermy have done to him is help him detroy all is would be friend. So that by the end of the day ,  all Yar Adu would have is enermy,  My brother you want to have many friend and possible , too much enermy is not good,  Yar Adua is in trouble,  they have made all is would have been friends his enermy,  A tree can not make a forest.  Those who  live in glass house do not throw stones. Any man who destroy the foundation of his house would sleep out side.

http://NigeriaONE.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Not Willing To Arrest Criminal Herdsmen In Ondo – Governor Akeredolu / Clearing Agents Ground Port Operations, Begin Indefinite Strike / Senator Utazi Declines Senate Return, Supports Ugwuanyi's Senatorial Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.