Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks (26322 Views)

NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / Again, Court Stops Hike In Electricity Tariff / INEC To Reprint Ballot Papers Three Weeks To Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
sulex947: must he stays in darkness when there is light, the main issue here is that there is no where in the world that the government increase their power tariff by 98%, thats way 2 much, and its called extortion.

Abi oo!!! It's almost as if people are suggesting that even though there is electricity, according to some, people should still continue to live in darkness. grin grin grin grin
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
edogram.:
ok, N3000 minus two month N1000 = N2000.
N2000 divided by N12 (per unit) is = to 166.66 unit.
So i guess i am been charge N12 per khw.
But i am not sure of that ur 1hr 100wax bob per unit(1) that is where the issue is now.

Poster clear this up. Do you have constant Electricity now as some are suggesting?
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by unanghope: 4:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
Did u charge any china phone?
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by uncle2010: 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
edogram.:
Benin, They ve change the klw resently now. Its prepaid meter. The power suply is constant. 22hrs per day.
my bro try. Electricity is not cheap. Ask pple in london they will tell u same. Manage light d way u manage call credit. Also go 4 low energy bulbs. Tx.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by DrugDoc: 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2012
I must commend the trio of GEJ, Barth Nnaji, and Sam Amadi for the work going on the power sector. These are the kind of conversions we should be having as Nigerians, not government subsidies. Yes, the charges by PHCN may be too high compared to the earnings of the average Nigerian. When the foreign companies take over PHCN the charges will go up but light will be 24/7 for most of Nigeria. We as a people have disowned ourselves socially, culturally and religiously, so we have lost politically and economically. Let the foreigners/private investors come, invest and run the sector. We will consume the power and pay the bills.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by ayusman16(m): 4:17pm On Aug 14, 2012
e show say u dey get light to use.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2012

2 Likes

Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
edogram.:
how am i going to know that?

KEY INTO THE PREPAID METRE #1# OR #2#. YOUR KWH WOULD DISPLAY
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by BALOUSJAY: 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Am in surulere Lagos under the Eko Electricity Distribution, initialy my monthly bill was less than N2000 per month(Not a prepaid meter) and my meter is function well in a double room and parlour self contain apartments. The cahrges then was N4.80/kwhR2 and supply was not constant. Last week they brought a bill of N6,500 at N12.87/kwhR2 and supply for past six weeks has being 23/half hours to 24hours constantly. If they are to switch off within 5minutes the light will be back to the extent the water inside the fridge is block. How do i manage the high bill with the supply? Is it normal? Because i have written them twice last year just because of abnormal bill amd the moment they acknowleged my letters subsequent bill do come down i.e bill of N1,600 to N3,400. Am thinking of writting them again, should i or not. Kindly advise me on that
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by jude33084(m): 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
edogram.:
N3000 naira electricity tarrif credit exhusted within three weeks, just imagine that? . They give 160unit credit for N3000 after substraction of 40days (two month) mentainace fee. But the previous last credit was 330unit for N3000. Now due to fast exhursting of previous one, I make sure all electronics are off when not in use. Also we no longer on outside light (high voltage light) from 11pm. Despite all this it happen three weeks, where will one run to? This gov't are socking nigerians die.

Ɣ☺Ʊ are not telling τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ truth about ƗƗ♡w Ɣ☺Ʊ use ♈☺uЯ power undecided

Most of Ɣ☺Ʊ use 200watts bulb(about 6 of it) in ♈☺uЯ house ΆŋԂ Ɣ☺Ʊ expect ♈☺uЯ meter Ť☺ read slow? Ɣ☺Ʊ must be joking tongue
I use oxram(8watts) energy bulb in ♍♈ house though its ∂ bite expensive(abt N500 per O̶̲̥̅̊nE̶̲̥̅̊) ΆŋԂ ♍♈ house can't exhaust N2500 tarif in ∂ month

[size=15pt] STOP USING 200 WAtts bulb[/size]
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by thoth: 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2012
ooseven:

Hello Mr thoth, i don't believe we've exchanged views before. You probably mistook me for someone else, hence the harshness.

Concerning school of economics, i just expressed my opinions (which could be wrong), the best way i could. All i meant was there has been massive investment in this sector, hence the need to recoup as fast as possible. For example, do you remember how much a Nokia 3310 cost back then or the cost of an MTN SIM? That was at the initial stage when massive investments were made, but later on as people understood how per minute billing worked and managed their airtime more, and more companies came into play, we have a fairly ok Telecomms industry now.

My point was no matter how high it is now, it is still marginally better than when there was no power and everybody had their generators on 24/7.

Mind you i am not a professor or claim to know all, just another Nigerian hoping for a better life. Lets talk not fight.

Mtn was chased away from many countries because of their exploitative mode of business, go read that up on the net, even zimbabwe told them they should play fair or get out. Only western puppet nations like nigerians with greedy criminal leaders and unenlightened citizens would see that as fair. What is the aim of investment if this is what is all about ? Why don't they go to china or vietnam and invest cus i know those country know what they are doing. You people should abandon your Voodoo economics.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Clemzy16(m): 4:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
Na so we see am for Benin here o! We dey use one thousand Naira recharge card for less than a week.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Elueme: 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Cross check your facts before misleading this forum.. Are you sure the maintenance fee wasn't inclusive In that said amount?
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Frenchkiss(m): 4:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
That is the way it is everywhere and even worse in some other areas and we all are to blame. Need I remind you that This is barely a manufacturing/industrialized state that consumes way more than it produces? Need I remind you that as a result of her huge exportation of technology compared to Nigeria and other African states, the currency of South Africa for instance with whom Nigeria is compared to with regards to power generation is about 70 times that of Nigeria. Need I also remind you that This country barely produce but rather consumes about 70% of technology from USA, China and Japan put together? Untill the problems of this country is tackled from the root and not the stems and leaves, she will keep moving one step forward, ten steps backward. Lets see how long this "9000+ Mega Watts power generation" charade will last, how the govt will sustain it when people start using under ground method to access it. I rest my case.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Wallie(m): 5:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
thoth:
now listen to this fool, you should have first compared naira to dollars, then compare the minimum wage of US to nigeria and also compare the ratio of the average americans earning and how much he is supposed to pay for electricity every month. What sort of liar are you in that you pay more than $600 on electricity a month ? I think only stupid nigerians would allow themselves to be shafted again and again with this stupid line.

GboyegaD:
And does the average man earn $7.25/hour which is your minimum wage? there is no basis for comparison here.

Nigerians and sentiment!

What does minimum wage have to do with how much it costs to generate and transmit electricity? Is your electricity subsidized? Shouldn’t the cost to generate and transmit electricity be passed on to consumers?

If that’s the case, then the incurred cost to generate 1 kW should be about the same barring inefficiencies and the cost to power the power stations. Like the US, Nigeria has an abundance of gas to power the power stations; however, unlike the US, Nigeria is still lacking the infrastructure to get the gas from the gas fields to the power stations where it is needed, which means that it will cost more to generate power in Nigeria.

Now with your thinking cap on, exactly why should electricity be cheaper in Nigeria?

To the guy lacking common sense calling someone a fool, see the attached picture. Ode!

Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by AjanleKoko: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
edogram.:
N3000 naira electricity tarrif credit exhusted within three weeks, just imagine that? . They give 160unit credit for N3000 after substraction of 40days (two month) mentainace fee. But the previous last credit was 330unit for N3000. Now due to fast exhursting of previous one, I make sure all electronics are off when not in use. Also we no longer on outside light (high voltage light) from 11pm. Despite all this it happen three weeks, where will one run to? This gov't are socking nigerians die.

Finally the day has come when Nigerians have to pay for what they use. Exactly what they use grin
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by maasoap(m): 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wallie: Now that you’re being charged for exactly what you use, it is up to you to adjust your usage. The problem is that most Nigerians have never been in a position to learn how to conserve electricity due to lack of availability and the erratic way PHCN used to bill people.

Things to consider:
1. Do you need a 60 inches flat screen TV? All things being equal, a bigger TV will always consume more electricity.
2. How about your computer? How much electricity does it consume? All computers are not created equal.
3. Is your fridge and freezer energy efficient? Can you tell me how much energy they consume exactly? The manufacturers usually provide the number.
4. Do you really need a 100 or 80 watt light bulb?
5. How about other kitchen appliances like toasters, microwave ovens etc? How often do you use that your 1300 watts microwave oven?
6. Is your AC energy efficient? Do you run your AC on “Hi” 18 hours a day even though your windows are partially open?

The bottom line is that you need to start checking the energy consumption of any electrical appliance that you buy.

For comparison sake, I pay $0.0986 / kWh which is about NGN15.60 and my monthly bill ranges from $400 per month to as high as an occasional $600 per month. Your rates are not high at all. As a matter of fact, I see no reason why your rates should be lower than what I pay in the US because our transmission and distribution lines are more efficient than yours.

I can almost guarantee that your rates are going to be raised in a couple of years because of the heavy investments that is needed in your power sector.
How are you being charged for what you're using when you're paying 500naira monthly whether you have power supply or not. Why not tie the whole charge to per unit charge? In that case, the electricity companies will also be motivated to improve power generation. but in a situation where they are sure to rake in 500 naira per meter per month whether they provide light or not, is not a good idea.

1 Like

Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
thoth:
now listen to this fool, you should have first compared naira to dollars, then compare the minimum wage of US to nigeria and also compare the ratio of the average americans earning and how much he is supposed to pay for electricity every month. What sort of liar are you in that you pay more than $600 on electricity a month ? I think only stupid nigerians would allow themselves to be shafted again and again with this stupid line.

I live in America too and I have NEVER EVER PAID MORE THAN $60 BUCKS a month in electricity bill. I run 4 Machines all day and my current monthly bill, in a 4 bedroom apartment, is about $45 a month.

I don't live in darkness either!lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by maasoap(m): 5:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wallie: Now that you’re being charged for exactly what you use, it is up to you to adjust your usage. The problem is that most Nigerians have never been in a position to learn how to conserve electricity due to lack of availability and the erratic way PHCN used to bill people.

Things to consider:
1. Do you need a 60 inches flat screen TV? All things being equal, a bigger TV will always consume more electricity.
2. How about your computer? How much electricity does it consume? All computers are not created equal.
3. Is your fridge and freezer energy efficient? Can you tell me how much energy they consume exactly? The manufacturers usually provide the number.
4. Do you really need a 100 or 80 watt light bulb?
5. How about other kitchen appliances like toasters, microwave ovens etc? How often do you use that your 1300 watts microwave oven?
6. Is your AC energy efficient? Do you run your AC on “Hi” 18 hours a day even though your windows are partially open?

The bottom line is that you need to start checking the energy consumption of any electrical appliance that you buy.

For comparison sake, I pay $0.0986 / kWh which is about NGN15.60 and my monthly bill ranges from $400 per month to as high as an occasional $600 per month. Your rates are not high at all. As a matter of fact, I see no reason why your rates should be lower than what I pay in the US because our transmission and distribution lines are more efficient than yours.

I can almost guarantee that your rates are going to be raised in a couple of years because of the heavy investments that is needed in your power sector.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by maasoap(m): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
BALOUSJAY: Am in surulere Lagos under the Eko Electricity Distribution, initialy my monthly bill was less than N2000 per month(Not a prepaid meter) and my meter is function well in a double room and parlour self contain apartments. The cahrges then was N4.80/kwhR2 and supply was not constant. Last week they brought a bill of N6,500 at N12.87/kwhR2 and supply for past six weeks has being 23/half hours to 24hours constantly. If they are to switch off within 5minutes the light will be back to the extent the water inside the fridge is block. How do i manage the high bill with the supply? Is it normal? Because i have written them twice last year just because of abnormal bill amd the moment they acknowleged my letters subsequent bill do come down i.e bill of N1,600 to N3,400. Am thinking of writting them again, should i or not. Kindly advise me on that
Since you have analog meter and it's functioning well, you'll see the the telephone number of the marketer that brings you bill every month on your bill. Check the reading on your meter and text it together with the name, address, meter number and account number on your bill as well as the name of the month in form of sms and send it to his number between 10th and 20th of every month. But if you can take it to their office yourself, you can locate your area's marketer there.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by thoth: 5:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I live in America too and I have NEVER EVER PAID MORE THAN $60 BUCKS a month in electricity bill. I run 4 Machines all day and my current monthly bill, in a 4 bedroom apartment, is about $45 a month.

I don't live in darkness either!lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Don't mind the buffon that is fooling his fathers. I found that once some idiot mentiones america or Uk then he must be right in the eyes of Nigerians. I have never seen a nation filled with such a massive number of ignorant people.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Wallie(m): 6:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
maasoap: How are you being charged for what you're using when you're paying 500naira monthly whether you have power supply or not. Why not tie the whole charge to per unit charge? In that case, the electricity companies will also be motivated to improve power generation. but in a situation where they are sure to rake in 500 naira per meter per month whether they provide light or not, is not a good idea.

I understand your feelings especially since the service is erratic but keep in mind that the rate is just a needed precursor to get investors motivated to come into the power sector. An investor can now say with confidence that it will take X number of years to recoup their investments based on the current rate. The 500 naira is probably a service charge for providing power to your house.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Wallie(m): 6:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I live in America too and I have NEVER EVER PAID MORE THAN $60 BUCKS a month in electricity bill. I run 4 Machines all day and my current monthly bill, in a[b] 4 bedroom apartment[/b], is about $45 a month.

There's no reason to doubt how much you pay but like you said, you live in a 4 bedroom apartment and run 4 machines a day. No where in my post did I give any indication as to the size of my house or apartment and what’s contained in it.

Also, in my post, I said “as high as an occasional $600 per month.” I would have thought adding the qualifier “occasional” before 600 means that it only gets that high sometimes but I guess not…
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Iolo(m): 6:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
edogram.:
No street light o. And every body for the area nor dey on outside or compound light again o.

Oga, remove those 200watt bulbs and have them replaced with White (flourescent) bulbs then come and testify.

All bulbs in ur home shouldn't exceed 100 watts for d outsyd and 60watts for d inside. If you decide using white bulbs de re usually around 20-40watts or so which means more savings fr u.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by thoth: 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wallie:

I understand your feelings especially since the service is erratic but keep in mind that the rate is just a needed precursor to get investors motivated to come into the power sector. An investor can now say with confidence that it will take X number of years to recoup their investments based on the current rate. The 500 naira is probably a service charge for providing power to your house.
it will take only 3 months by that rate to get back the amount they paid for the company. Now how is that an investment ? What do we gain from such witchcraft investment ? What incentive makes the investor to actually improve the services if he can just sit back and make gains without doing anything ? If china was having that kind of investment i wonder where they would be by now.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by thoth: 7:09pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wallie:

There's no reason to doubt how much you pay but like you said, you live in a 4 bedroom apartment and run 4 machines a day. No where in my post did I give any indication as to the size of my house or apartment and what’s contained in it.

Also, in my post, I said “as high as an occasional $600 per month.” I would have thought adding the qualifier “occasional” before 600 means that it only gets that high sometimes but I guess not…
Ofcourse you occasionally live in a 200 room mansion or maybe you grow weed in your basement with radio bulbs. Maybe it is better you indicate the size of you mansion for us.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 14, 2012
So this dude pays N3k (less than $20) for 3 weeks of near constant electricity and is complaining. WTF?
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by thoth: 7:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
TroGunn: So this dude pays N3k (less than $20) for 3 weeks of near constant electricity and is complaining. WTF?
COMPARED to what you pay huh ? Cus you that owns the company he works on pays him in dollars.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wallie:

@Wallie,

a) This post is discussing the cost of electricity for a home(place of residence), and you decided to bring in a number in an attempt to suggest that what you pay there close to average cost of electricity incurred per household in anywhere USA.

b)I felt it was my place to ensure that people not be misled into thinking what you posted was anything near average for an american home, or even small businesses.

c) Saying as high as is still being dishonest, because again, the average electricity bill in homes across America never come close to that amount, for any month. Not even during the winter years.
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by maximum007(m): 7:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
The price you are charged depends on the kind of appliances you use in your home. If you have like 2 ACs that you use regularly, then be ready to pay heavily!
Re: N3000 Electricity Tariff Credit Exhausted In Three Weeks by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
thoth:
Ofcourse you occasionally live in a 200 room mansion or maybe you grow weed in your basement with radio bulbs. Maybe it is better you indicate the size of you mansion for us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

First & Second Batches Of Released Chibok Girls Reunite In Abuja / James Ibori Used As Example At An Anti-bribery Course Overseas / Senator Nelson Effiong Defects From PDP To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.