Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) (39196 Views)

Push APC Into Atlantic Ocean, Agbaje Tells Igbo / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge / Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by adeboolusegun(m): 7:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
RIP to dos who are affected....so painful
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by orskky21: 7:37pm On Aug 19, 2012
if sorry for dem dat is y beach is dangerous to go sometime may god lead us through nd their soul rest in peace god give their family rest of mind amen
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 7:40pm On Aug 19, 2012
19naia: My first thought was the same as yours but also sometimes it can come from distant bad winds in the ocean...I Searched on a web site "Latest earthquakes in the world-past 7 days." Just type that into google or so and there is a USGS (united states geological survey) list of all the significant quakes in the world..I checkit every day........The list shows an earthquake in the mid atlantic fault right on same latitude as nigerian coast..It was 5.2 quake aug 17 and is big enough to make small surge to reach lagos and even delta coastal regions.The 1st report was august 18, so maybe it was from august 17 event which took many hours to reach lagos..It is possible that offshore underwater ridges near lagos could have swelled the surge into lagos area....This is not an official report,only my own independant considerations....Be safe you ocean dwelling people and maybe Naija government has been right to remove all the waterfront settlers in lagos..I hope the government will offer alternative resettlement and not just evict them to wander lost....
right!! This is most plausible explanation,no wind can be dat strong,and i hrd sometin about the end of d lunar cycle,geographers in d house?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 7:45pm On Aug 19, 2012
odizzy: my dear dnt b suprice if Tsunami occurs 1 day in nigeria, since our so called president gudluck jonathn hv bin in dat seat, nigeria hv lost millions of souls, dat man is a bloody ogboni man, a blood sucker, a lion in a goat skin, since his regime boko haram hv claimed thousands of lifes, we hv had air crash, flood killin thousands of ppl, wen hv dat happnd in nigeria b4, now is atlantic ocean surge who knws wot nxt. He is jus a negative of his name. Now his illiterate wife hv com out 2 say all d wifes of govt officials frm councelors 2 president shud b paid alawi 4 wot, jus 4 being d wife of a politician. I cause all of dem frm president 2 senators, house rep, ministers i cause dia generation, pls God remember dem Amem.
did you go 2 skul at all? I guess not. . .av u hrd of anything called science?? I also guess not,and since when did jonathan receive power over those named forces and occurence?

Like all dose things are happening 4 d 1st time in history right?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2012
Sun of god:

The 'Poles' are shifting and the 'tilt' of the earth on its axis is changing.

This is well known - some say we can expect the poles of the earth to 'flip' anytime now.

There are many underwater cities that once thrived but are now buried under the sea - its inevitable the same fate awaits lagos (and many other coastal regions).
the flipping of the poles are long overdue by some thousand years,i read sometin about it on google,if it happens(tho not in my time) it will cause such great unbalance dat a greater part,if not all of d earth will be put 2 ruin
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by kunletade(m): 7:51pm On Aug 19, 2012
RICHIE BOI:

Pls do!
I bet u are part of those who travel to lagos to get a better life and when u died they would bury u in lagos
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 7:55pm On Aug 19, 2012
$tunna:
Nigerians especially Lagosians have allowed their towns and villages to be used are a dumping ground for cars that have been deemed unsafe and unfit to ply the streets of Europe, right...well, yes because having two of those broken down cars in each compound appears to be a sign of riches in naija!

Well, there is something y'all need to know... those cars where taken off the roads in Europe because they could not pass standard emissions tests - tests designed to remove highly polluting cars from the road.

Suc pollutions warms up our atmosphere and that in turn melts the ice in the Arctic and Antarctica and that in turn this raises the Sea and Ocean levels and that in turn will eventually submerge coastal cities like Lagos!

get it??

you are very wrong,ask me why
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 8:02pm On Aug 19, 2012
orskky21: if sorry for dem dat is y beach is dangerous to go sometime may god lead us through nd their soul rest in peace god give their family rest of mind amen
dont make d mistake of thinking the beach is a dangerous place 2 be,infact its one of d nIcest places 2 be if ur looking 2 relax

why? Things like this rarely happen,what do i mean,if this was caused by a fault line,it shouldnt av affected just d beach,it shud have swept half of lagos(well dat is just depending on d magnitude of it) what i'm saying is,d ppl living in inner lagos and other coastal areas,like rivers for instance,are no safer. . .if a strong cyclone/hurricane or earthquake(tsunami) hits. . .no one would be talking of beach at all. . .we would be talking of a much larger dangerous disasteer

lets all pray that doesnt happen,it cant,nOt in NIgeria,d fault lines are 2 far off
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by cashcpt(m): 8:05pm On Aug 19, 2012
odizzy: my dear dnt b suprice if Tsunami occurs 1 day in nigeria, since our so called president gudluck jonathn hv bin in dat seat, nigeria hv lost millions of souls, dat man is a bloody ogboni man, a blood sucker, a lion in a goat skin, since his regime boko haram hv claimed thousands of lifes, we hv had air crash, flood killin thousands of ppl, wen hv dat happnd in nigeria b4, now is atlantic ocean surge who knws wot nxt. He is jus a negative of his name. Now his illiterate wife hv com out 2 say all d wifes of govt officials frm councelors 2 president shud b paid alawi 4 wot, jus 4 being d wife of a politician. I cause all of dem frm president 2 senators, house rep, ministers i cause dia generation, pls God remember dem Amem.

U are the biggest m0r0n on Nairaland
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Sunofgod(m): 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2012
Shaw007: the flipping of the poles are long overdue by some thousand years,i read sometin about it on google,if it happens(tho not in my time) it will cause such great unbalance dat a greater part,if not all of d earth will be put 2 ruin

It seems to be happening now - part of the reason for the crazy weather and shift of the jet stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HZ_Dvkxi-8
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by bittyend(m): 8:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
Rocktation:

So science made us know. But what can this confirmation help us do again? Use a rod as leverage to wedge the moon in order to r[i]e[/i]tard its gravitation?

Loooooooooooooooooooool

Best comment so far!! These people make me sick with that science bs and global warming..
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by bittyend(m): 8:14pm On Aug 19, 2012
Ocean surge isn't something that just started happening in Lagos, this has been happening for e-ons.

I don't know why people are surprised, however, I believe there's something wrong with the average Nigerian, and their doomsday prophecies.

Maybe, those building shanty homes around the beach would learn a bitter way to stay away from there - and go back to their villages, or go find a better place to live around Lagos..

Yeah ocean surge, but get the fvck off the sea coast with your dirty shanty houses, crazy people!!

I don't feel sorry for them.. undecided
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 8:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
Sun of god:

It seems to be happening now - part of the reason for the crazy weather and shift of the jet stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HZ_Dvkxi-8
dec.2012!!? Seriously??

God help
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by bittyend(m): 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
If the ocean surge is going to help reduce the population of Lagos by 50% - so be it!!!

The damn place is overcrowded, with fvckers building houses everywhere...

Shyte, they need to start giving visas to those going to Lagos in the next couple of years..

I just don't understand why everyone in a fvcking country wants to live in the smallest state!!

Hit the freeway, and go back to your hometowns!!! undecided
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by chievo: 8:19pm On Aug 19, 2012
$tunna:
Nigerians especially Lagosians have allowed their towns and villages to be used are a dumping ground for cars that have been deemed unsafe and unfit to ply the streets of Europe, right...well, yes because having two of those broken down cars in each compound appears to be a sign of riches in naija!

Well, there is something y'all need to know... those cars where taken off the roads in Europe because they could not pass standard emissions tests - tests designed to remove highly polluting cars from the road.

Suc pollutions warms up our atmosphere and that in turn melts the ice in the Arctic and Antarctica and that in turn this raises the Sea and Ocean levels and that in turn will eventually submerge coastal cities like Lagos!

get it?? .....hmnnn ..Nwayo kwa

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Sunofgod(m): 8:22pm On Aug 19, 2012
Shaw007: dec.2012!!? Seriously??

God help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lojH9ulp954&feature=related
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by redsun(m): 8:23pm On Aug 19, 2012
Coastal nigerians are very vulnerable to wraths of nature.TheR raging athlantic can easily wipe off a porously defended city like lagos in a matter minutes.

Africa is no longer exempted from the ravages of raging nature.And we are in no way prepared.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by aries26(m): 8:30pm On Aug 19, 2012
idowuswap: Igbo wey just come lagos make den beware cus then no know anything
A very daft comment.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by NAJALYN: 8:31pm On Aug 19, 2012
Very sad. May the soul of the departed rest in peace.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by chuzyemx: 8:33pm On Aug 19, 2012
. Do u knw wot ure jst a goddamn idowu gay,I doubt if u came out 4rm ur mama punny
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Tolaaaaannni(f): 8:39pm On Aug 19, 2012
RIP. What a tragedy.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by cheddarking(m): 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2012
bittyend: If the ocean surge is going to help reduce the population of Lagos by 50% - so be it!!!

The damn place is overcrowded, with fvckers building houses everywhere...

Really?

16 families are in mourning today because of this ocean surge, and you come here to type this Sh1t...

A 6 year old girl
died today because of this ocean surge, and you are typing this Sh1t...

You're lucky this site keeps you anonymous...
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Reference(m): 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2012
Ejiné: With things like this happening, I kinda worry about the safety of Eko Atlantic City when finished.

Has no long term future. The predictions over the next forty years at current oceans rise rates due to global warming are for a three metre rise. Even half of that will eat at least half a kilometre inland. Guess another few billions for another sea wall. Its a losing battle.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by chuzyemx: 8:45pm On Aug 19, 2012
. Do u knw wot? ure jst a goddamn idowu gay,I doubt if u came out 4rm ur mama punny
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Foxyhoxy(f): 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
embarassed
u fool, is it dat u re daft or smtin. Dnt u get d post?? Wot does it ve 2 do wt ibos?? M sori 4 u cos u ve gat a long way 2 go. Tribalistic moroon
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by cupid4ig(m): 8:54pm On Aug 19, 2012
I just wonder who gave u the phone or laptop that u are using to type this rubbish. Idiota
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by miredia(m): 8:57pm On Aug 19, 2012
Taking a sneak-peek into Mr. idowuswap's Post history has afforded him the luxury of lending credence to his logic. The trend is ridiculously sequential

1 Like

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 9:00pm On Aug 19, 2012
@ sun of God,

I don't think we are witnessing the Milankovitch cycles yet(Eccentricity and Obliquity of the earth) which takes c.a 100ka and 41ka respectively. this is ofcourse based on Paleomagnetics study and varves dating in some of the world's Quaternary Lacustrine sediments
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by miredia(m): 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2012
Taking a sneak-peek into Mr. idowuswap's post hostory has afforded him the luxury of lending credence to his logic. It is ridiculously sequential

1 Like

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by bittyend(m): 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
cheddarking:
Really?

16 families are in mourning today because of this ocean surge, and you come here to type this Sh1t...

A 6 year old girl
died today because of this ocean surge, and you are typing this Sh1t...

You're lucky this site keeps you anonymous...

Why did they build their homes near the notorious coast of an ocean which has been surging for e-ons? Those people were suicidal in the first place, and you can't blame me for keeping it real..

And to the bolded part, I'm not lucky, bruv; and I doubt you can chat shyte to my face. I'll knock you the fvck out and wake up later to hit your yard for a nap. I'm not an e-thug, but I get busy on those gully roads, bruddah.. Fall back, son!!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by iyke2k4(m): 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
May their souls rest in peace.

But if its happened in JOS, Some of you will start talking as if Jos is the only place that witness flood.Some of you even stay in worse places than Jos and you always talk bad about the city.Some of u that stay in Lagos,Abj and PH even stay in slums there and cant even feed three times a day.Check out Jos brought up in these cities and u will see alot of difference.Jos boys and girls always make news wherever the go.There swag is one of a kind.I am Jostified and I hv have tenants in Lagos and ABj.

The Nigeria Media and people love Jos so much.That's why we see lots of bad news about the beautiful city on headlines for those newspapers to continue to be in business.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by greatgod2012(f): 9:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
rest in peace to d affected

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Departed Abuja For London (Photos) / Dolapo And Yemi Osinbajo's White Wedding In 1990 (Throwback Photo) / Picture Of Young Sanusi, His Grand-dad , Bello And A British Diplomat

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.