Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,712 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) (39194 Views)

Push APC Into Atlantic Ocean, Agbaje Tells Igbo / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge / Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Abbey2sam(m): 7:54am On Aug 20, 2012
[quote author=Finland]...And Lagos is spending Billions to build Atlantic city? Hmmm I bet you write your will after buying a property at the said city. grin[/quote
and who told you there will not be security measures put in place before selling the said properties
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Abbey2sam(m): 8:03am On Aug 20, 2012
Some people still live because it's illegal to kill them....people like "idowuswap", watever dat means....RIP to d victims
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by franchizy(m): 8:27am On Aug 20, 2012
U peoples r spoken and wroting rubish hear, we has to only pray 4 dere soles to rest in Prefect peace.
Why all d rguments hear and dere
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by nosagold(m): 8:28am On Aug 20, 2012
chucky234: Na wen you go get sense for this life wey you come,ocean surge na end time again. Wetin you come call those earthquakes,hurricane and tsunami wey don dey happen before your mama born you,na begin time abi.
Your mumu go last,olodo rabata.

Since you don tell am wetin I wan tell am, make I free am nw, I nor juz knw wen dz kain people go knw wetin be reality, any small thin you go hear "end time" what has end time got to do wif dz? Mtcheeeeeeew!......I don't even think dat dz world will ever come to an end as I'm seeing it, na since I dey 5yrs I don dey hear dz tin nd its begining to annoy me wenever I hear such.......well, may their souls rest in peace to doz dat lost their lives
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by biggzman: 8:43am On Aug 20, 2012
Incase of tsunami,the whole of lagos will be submerge or wipe off. But the only solution is for lagos state govt to build dyk around to protect d shoreline frm coastal erosion.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by ODB2: 8:58am On Aug 20, 2012
FLUSH THAT DAMN LAGOS!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 20, 2012
biggzman:
Incase of tsunami,the whole of lagos will be submerge or wipe off. But the only solution is for lagos state govt to build dyk around to protect d shoreline frm coastal erosion.

Why make a statement why you do not understand the science behind Tsunami, is there any tectonic plate in any part of Africa close to Nigeria even 1000 nautical miles to Lagos ?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by luluosas(m): 9:28am On Aug 20, 2012
So sad! May their soul rest in peace.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by wine4dguy: 9:29am On Aug 20, 2012
19naia: My first thought was the same as yours but also sometimes it can come from distant bad winds in the ocean...I Searched on a web site "Latest earthquakes in the world-past 7 days." Just type that into google or so and there is a USGS (united states geological survey) list of all the significant quakes in the world..I checkit every day........The list shows an earthquake in the mid atlantic fault right on same latitude as nigerian coast..It was 5.2 quake aug 17 and is big enough to make small surge to reach lagos and even delta coastal regions.The 1st report was august 18, so maybe it was from august 17 event which took many hours to reach lagos..It is possible that offshore underwater ridges near lagos could have swelled the surge into lagos area....This is not an official report,only my own independant considerations....Be safe you ocean dwelling people and maybe Naija government has been right to remove all the waterfront settlers in lagos..I hope the government will offer alternative resettlement and not just evict them to wander lost....
bros are u in 9ja?... Cos i know we have brains in this country kudos for your research dat to me explains what just occured...

1 Like

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by odizzy: 10:36am On Aug 20, 2012
franchizy: U peoples r spoken and wroting rubish hear, we has to only pray 4 dere soles to rest in Prefect peace.
Why all d rguments hear and dere
my guy ur english is on point. Lolz, u rock
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Lilyfeb: 10:46am On Aug 20, 2012
May there gentle soul rest in peace
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by GAR3TH(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2012
Double post
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by GAR3TH(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2012
Excuzeme:
Your post is NOT entirely accurate.
You intentionally or "without being aware", forgot to add that "dredging sand from the ocean" (for the purpose of sand-filling) has to occur at a certain MINIMUM DISTANCE FROM THE SHORE-LINE, if the effect of such dredging is not to have a NEGATIVE IMPACT on the shoreline?
I dont want to go into details here (but let me add that the minimum distance is 15 Nautical miles from the shoreline otherwise, the ocean will simply "SUCK" the shore's sand outwards, to replace the "vacuum/void" created by the initial dredging and the beach line could be 'history'!)as l no wan enter "Lagos rofo-rofo fight". wink wink

15 Nautical Miles is way to loose of an estimate, 2 miles offshore from the project site is what I consider the minimum. Also, Dredging will not cause any "vacuum" or even one powerful enough to "suck" the sand from the shoreline. So to say dredging is a cause or that it has a negative impact on the shoreline is wrong. The simple fact of the matter why sand is removed from beaches is due to erosion. The Mass of the ocean coupled with its velocity creates enough momentum to eat away at any exposed shoreline. when completed Eko atlantic project will not only protects Victoria island from erosion but sand fills the shoreline back to its original length during the days of colonialism. That shore line has always been shrinking due to the erosion, so to say dredging is causing it is misleading.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by 2rutalk1: 1:31pm On Aug 20, 2012
Santino1: @ sun of God,

I don't think we are witnessing the Milankovitch cycles yet(Eccentricity and Obliquity of the earth) which takes c.a 26ka and 41ka respectively. this is ofcourse based on Paleomagnetics study and varves dating in some of the world's Quaternary Lacustrine sediments
[quote][/quote]

Na waoh! who opened gate for u nah? Somebody like you should be in the Manger.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by adef1(m): 1:31pm On Aug 20, 2012
19naia: My first thought was the same as yours but also sometimes it can come from distant bad winds in the ocean...I Searched on a web site "Latest earthquakes in the world-past 7 days." Just type that into google or so and there is a USGS (united states geological survey) list of all the significant quakes in the world..I checkit every day........The list shows an earthquake in the mid atlantic fault right on same latitude as nigerian coast..It was 5.2 quake aug 17 and is big enough to make small surge to reach lagos and even delta coastal regions.The 1st report was august 18, so maybe it was from august 17 event which took many hours to reach lagos..It is possible that offshore underwater ridges near lagos could have swelled the surge into lagos area....This is not an official report,only my own independant considerations....Be safe you ocean dwelling people and maybe Naija government has been right to remove all the waterfront settlers in lagos..I hope the government will offer alternative resettlement and not just evict them to wander lost....

Plausible as your comments may seem, I would've expected other West African countries to record/report ocean surges on a scale worse than Lagos, as some are much closer to ground zero suggested above than we are. Port Novo should have felt the impact just as much as Lagos. So far, Kuramo, Lekki, Elegushi areas have been commented on as being impacted. Methinks something more local occurred. We can't criticize Eko Atlantic at this point as I suspect an issue such as this would have been reported several times during the land reclamation. Cheers.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2012
ade.f:

Plausible as your comments may seem, I would've expected other West African countries to record/report ocean surges on a scale worse than Lagos, as some are much closer to ground zero suggested above than we are. Port Novo should have felt the impact just as much as Lagos. So far, Kuramo, Lekki, Elegushi areas have been commented on as being impacted. Methinks something more local occurred. We can't criticize Eko Atlantic at this point as I suspect an issue such as this would have been reported several times during the land reclamation. Cheers.

you do have a point
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by monosetale: 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2012
iyke2k4: May their souls rest in peace.

But if its happened in JOS, Some of you will start talking as if Jos is the only place that witness flood.Some of you even stay in worse places than Jos and you always talk bad about the city.Some of u that stay in Lagos,Abj and PH even stay in slums there and cant even feed three times a day.Check out Jos brought up in these cities and u will see alot of difference.Jos boys and girls always make news wherever the go.There swag is one of a kind.I am Jostified and I hv have tenants in Lagos and ABj.

The Nigeria Media and people love Jos so much.That's why we see lots of bad news about the beautiful city on headlines for those newspapers to continue to be in business.
. A Simple R.I.P would do. Jos this jos that, just open a jostified thread for jos now..story
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Abbeycity0(m): 8:24pm On Aug 21, 2012
mhsanni: Inna li Lah wa ina Ilayhi rajiun. May Allah save us from all these calamities.
AMEN ooooo!!!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by psalmizt(m): 11:24pm On Aug 21, 2012

I also checked up the info on usgs.gov as well. I must confess these few lines of yours offer more information than all the journalists we have in this obodo Nigeria put together... Can you imagine people attributing the surge to Eko Atlantic project [SaharaReporters: [url]http://saharareporters.com/gallery/photonews-lagos-state-proceeds-%E2%80%9Ceko-atlantic%E2%80%9D-project-caused-deadly-ocean-surge[/url]]... Useless primary school journalism...
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc000c1np.php#details
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by psalmizt(m): 11:27pm On Aug 21, 2012
ade.f:

Please go and look at the trajectory of the quake itself instead http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc000c1np.php#details
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by chopper(m): 8:50am On Aug 22, 2012
Changed My mind on relocating to the Island. My mainland i still dey your side abeg!!!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Shaw007(m): 4:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
odizzy: u re simply a NL goat, i dnt hv tym 4 u cos u re jus a riff raff, i hv aired my opinoin n daz final i dnt ask 4 lecture frm illiterates lyk u, f00l
who's d goat nOw. . Its backward ppl like you dat blame any family misfortune u have on jonathan. . .ode oshi!!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 12, 2017
Sunofgod:

The 'Poles' are shifting and the 'tilt' of the earth on its axis is changing.

This is well known - some say we can expect the poles of the earth to 'flip' anytime now.

There are many underwater cities that once thrived but are now buried under the sea - its inevitable the same fate awaits lagos (and many other coastal regions).
explain the bolded pls. I don't think tis possible

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fire At Abuja INEC Office / Church Wedding Of Deola Smart And Malivelihood (photos, Video) / President Muhammadu Buhari Departed Abuja For London (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.