Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) (39197 Views)

Push APC Into Atlantic Ocean, Agbaje Tells Igbo / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge / Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Foxyhoxy(f): 9:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
Santino1: @ sun of God,

I don't think we are witnessing the Milankovitch cycles yet(Eccentricity and Obliquity of the earth) which takes c.a 26ka and 41ka respectively. this is ofcourse based on Paleomagnetics study and varves dating in some of the world's Quaternary Lacustrine sediments
rubbish n señseless. Na by force 2 comment 4 nairaland ni?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
Water no get enemy. . .abeg make una free the beach. RIP to the gone !
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by sluch333: 9:17pm On Aug 19, 2012
RIP to the victims
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Mobatine(f): 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
whao what a tragedy may their soul rest in peace
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by KayDee4: 9:19pm On Aug 19, 2012
Foxyhoxy: rubbish n señseless. Na by force 2 comment 4 nairaland ni?
If you don't get what he's saying, kindly ask him to break it down for you instead of calling his comment 'rubbish'. @ least I understand what he's trying to say.

3 Likes

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by KayDee4: 9:21pm On Aug 19, 2012
19naia: My first thought was the same as yours but also sometimes it can come from distant bad winds in the ocean...I Searched on a web site "Latest earthquakes in the world-past 7 days." Just type that into google or so and there is a USGS (united states geological survey) list of all the significant quakes in the world..I checkit every day........The list shows an earthquake in the mid atlantic fault right on same latitude as nigerian coast..It was 5.2 quake aug 17 and is big enough to make small surge to reach lagos and even delta coastal regions.The 1st report was august 18, so maybe it was from august 17 event which took many hours to reach lagos..It is possible that offshore underwater ridges near lagos could have swelled the surge into lagos area....This is not an official report,only my own independant considerations....Be safe you ocean dwelling people and maybe Naija government has been right to remove all the waterfront settlers in lagos..I hope the government will offer alternative resettlement and not just evict them to wander lost....
. . the most plausible explanation.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2012
Foxyhoxy: rubbish n señseless. Na by force 2 comment 4 nairaland ni?
grin grin grin Haba, Its not suppose to cause fight now? just ask the fellow to dumb it down a little for you.

2 Likes

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by cheddarking(m): 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2012
bittyend:

Why did they build their homes near the notorious coast of an ocean which has been surging for e-ons? Those people were suicidal in the first place, and you can't blame me for keeping it real..

And to the bolded part, I'm not lucky, bruv; and I doubt you can chat shyte to my face. I'll knock you the fvck out and wake up later to hit your yard for a nap. I'm not an e-thug, but I get busy on those gully roads, bruddah.. Fall back, son!!

Haha...Everyone is a Roadman on Nairaland these days...
And I wasn't threatening you...I was just stating fact.

You.Are.Lucky.This.Site.Keeps.You.Anonymous.
You are a Nairaland don.
Expose yourself and you might get deaded in a week.(not by me though wink)

Nuff said
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2012
Kay-Dee:

. . the most plausible explanation.

Apparently.....

P.S: I didn't see the comment before putting forward those theories...Apologies
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by bittyend(m): 9:37pm On Aug 19, 2012
cheddarking:
Haha...Everyone is a Roadman on Nairaland these days...
And I wasn't threatening you...I was just stating fact.

You.Are.Lucky.This.Site.Keeps.You.Anonymous.
You are a Nairaland don.
Expose yourself and you might get deaded in a week.(not by me though wink)
Nuff said

I never claimed to be a road on NL, separate the topman behind the handle from the handle. You spewed garbage, and I put you in check - and if you want to find who G behind the handle is, we can go there, blud.

I'm not the type to say things and not back it up, doozy. I get busy, say nomore.

FACT still remains; THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE BUILT THEIR SHANTY HOMES ON THE COAST!! If you've got a problem with that, shout me!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by KayDee4: 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2012
Santino1:
Apparently.....
P.S: I didn't see the comment before putting forward those theories...Apologies
No problem, there may be a host of possible causes; tectonic (Earthquake/tsunami), or neap/spring tides caused by the earth's rotation (this may cause a more gradual rise than the tectonic related causes though); no one knows for sure which one it is for now. So all reasonable opinions are valid.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by franchizy(m): 9:48pm On Aug 19, 2012
Plis kan someones told mi how manys peoples dat dead hear because I kant saw it on Nta pour o clok news may dere soles rest in prefect pis amen
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 19, 2012
idowuswap: Igbo wey just come lagos make den beware cus then no know anything
if U̶̲̥̅̊ dont hav any meaningful thing to say, better scroll and read. Rather than talking trash.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by vislabraye(m): 9:51pm On Aug 19, 2012
@odizzy. Just hear yourself.

"...Now his illiterate wife hv com out 2 say all d wifes of govt officials frm councelors 2..."
You call someone an illiterate but yet you say the plural of wife is wifes. Instead of wives. Be careful how you openly blast someone in public forum. You might be inadvertently opening your behind.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Topestbilly(m): 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2012
may their souls rest in peace.may their souls rest in peace.may their souls rest in peace.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 9:54pm On Aug 19, 2012
Kay-Dee:

No problem, there may be a host of possible causes; tectonic (Earthquake/tsunami), or neap/spring tides caused by the earth's rotation (this may cause a more gradual rise than the tectonic related causes though); no one knows for sure which one it is for now. So all reasonable opinions are valid.

Exactly, that's why I suggested the tropical/extratropical cyclone earlier. Naija doesn't seem to be sitting on an active tectonic environment.

P.S: checked out your profile and it's all screaming GEOSCIENCES (hope una don drill like 1bbopd from that seismic volume..LOL. Good to meet a fellow geoscientist and actively following ya
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by waters2012: 10:02pm On Aug 19, 2012

I don't think we are witnessing the Milankovitch cycles yet(Eccentricity and Obliquity of the earth) which takes c.a 100ka and 41ka respectively. this is ofcourse based on Paleomagnetics study and varves dating in some of the world's Quaternary Lacustrine sediments

So what have you said?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by waters2012: 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
If this had happened in Maiduguri or jos or yobe, most peeps on this forum will be screaming God is punishing the north for their ills. But now its eko, it is now science that'll explain it. Why can't we stop this northophobia for once?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by hardbody: 10:16pm On Aug 19, 2012
odizzy: my dear dnt b suprice if Tsunami occurs 1 day in nigeria, since our so called president gudluck jonathn hv bin in dat seat, nigeria hv lost millions of souls, dat man is a bloody ogboni man, a blood sucker, a lion in a goat skin, since his regime boko haram hv claimed thousands of lifes, we hv had air crash, flood killin thousands of ppl, wen hv dat happnd in nigeria b4, now is atlantic ocean surge who knws wot nxt. He is jus a negative of his name. Now his illiterate wife hv com out 2 say all d wifes of govt officials frm councelors 2 president shud b paid alawi 4 wot, jus 4 being d wife of a politician. I cause all of dem frm president 2 senators, house rep, ministers i cause dia generation, pls God remember dem Amem.

U r a dummy
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by stunna2(m): 10:21pm On Aug 19, 2012
Shaw007: you are very wrong,ask me why

N why is my analysis wrong ??
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by hardbody: 10:28pm On Aug 19, 2012
$tunna:
Nigerians especially Lagosians have allowed their towns and villages to be used as a dumping ground for cars that have been deemed unsafe and unfit to ply the streets of Europe, right...well, yes because having two of those broken down cars in each compound appears to be a sign of riches in naija!

Well, there is something y'all need to know... those cars where taken off the roads in Europe because they could not pass standard emissions tests - tests designed to remove highly polluting cars from the road.

Such pollutions warms up our atmosphere and that in turn melts the ice in the Arctic and Antarctica and that in turn raises the Sea and Ocean levels and that in turn will eventually submerge coastal cities like Lagos!

get it??

Another eediet on the loose. Please explain the tsunami that hit Japan massively. I reckon u reason through ur a.r.s.ehole
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by mbjs: 10:29pm On Aug 19, 2012
blame this too on bokoboys,,,,,,,,,
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by auwal87(m): 10:33pm On Aug 19, 2012
The title on sahara reporters read;
"Multi-Billion Dollar "Eko Atlantic City" Project Caused Fatal Atlantic Ocean Surge That Killed 16 People In Lagos"
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by techlegs: 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2012
Our able governor Fashola should immediately sign into law a legistilation restricting the ocean from crossing it's boundaries. I laugh in Swahili. Mya the soul of hose who lost their lives rest in peace.

Lekki and Ajah residents, please you need to pray hard against tsunami.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by hardbody: 10:37pm On Aug 19, 2012

I don't think we are witnessing the Milankovitch cycles yet(Eccentricity and Obliquity of the earth) which takes c.a 100ka and 41ka respectively. this is ofcourse based on Paleomagnetics study and varves dating in some of the world's Quaternary Lacustrine sediments

Bros na wa oo. Please communicate. Write in english or your local dialect. The technical grammar too much
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by stunna2(m): 10:39pm On Aug 19, 2012
hardbody:

Another eediet on the loose. Please explain the tsunami that hit Japan massively. I reckon u reason through ur a.r.s.ehole

Naija people never cease to amaze me...!! Wow! Fool pls read my comment again, I did not offer an explanation as to what caused the current problem...I sorry for u shaaaa!

Unbelievably dumb n quick to respond shyyte talkers
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by chucky234(m): 10:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
Speroxx: The signs of the end of time. Lord Jesus predicted these...O rest in peace dearThe signs of the end of time. Lord Jesus predicted these...O rest in peace dearThe signs of the end of time. Lord Jesus predicted these...O rest in peace dear
Another mumu
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by hardbody: 10:47pm On Aug 19, 2012
$tunna:

Naija people never cease to amaze me...!! Wow! Fool pls read my comment again, I did not offer an explanation as to what caused the current problem...I sorry for u shaaaa!

Unbelievably dumb n quick to respond shyyte talkers

You write before you think and comprehend after posting. Please reread your post. Dummies are not made of a sterner stuff
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 10:49pm On Aug 19, 2012
hardbody:

Bros na wa oo. Please communicate. Write in english or your local dialect. The technical grammar too much

we were pondering about the possible cause of the surge and he (sun of god) proposed that, it is due to tilting of the earth (an event referred to in geologic term as Milankovitch cycle). I disagreed by citing Paleomagnetics and varves in lakes (both are used in dating geologic events) to show that sine the last tilting occured aroung c.a. 9000 BC, the next predicted "full-scale" tilting will happen in c.a. 12000 years.

I hope that was simple enough?

1 Like

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by makizee(m): 10:58pm On Aug 19, 2012
bittyend:

Why did they build their homes near the notorious coast of an ocean which has been surging for e-ons? Those people were suicidal in the first place, and you can't blame me for keeping it real..

And to the bolded part, I'm not lucky, bruv; and I doubt you can chat shyte to my face. I'll knock you the fvck out and wake up later to hit your yard for a nap. I'm not an e-thug, but I get busy on those gully roads, bruddah.. Fall back, son!!
No resonable should even bother to reply u after me though, These people living in Kuramo, do u think they love it there man, it's because they have no choive ..Poverty...an for u saing u would knock someone out bla bla bla...u r probably one skinny, fraily dude, and if not , u r still a SH yte- Head
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Sunofgod(m): 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
Santino1:

we were pondering about the possible cause of the surge and he (sun of god) proposed that, it is due to tilting of the earth (an event referred to in geologic term as Milankovitch cycle). I disagreed by citing Paleomagnetics and varves in lakes (both are used in dating geologic events) to show that sine the last tilting occured aroung c.a. 9000 BC, the next predicted "full-scale" tilting will happen in c.a. 12000 years.

I hope that was simple enough?

So your disputimg what people who live on the poles are witnessing? (the vids)

I'm not putting forward any theories (which may or may not be accurate) but facts that are verifiable.

PS: 'Your Jargon' was excessive.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by stunna2(m): 11:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
hardbody:

You write before you think and comprehend after posting. Please reread your post. Dummies are not made of a sterner stuff

i cry for you kiddo!!

now, this is what i wrote:

$tunna:
Nigerians especially Lagosians have allowed their towns and villages to be used as a dumping ground for cars that have been deemed unsafe and unfit to ply the streets of Europe, right...well, yes because having two of those broken down cars in each compound appears to be a sign of riches in naija!

Well, there is something y'all need to know... those cars where taken off the roads in Europe because they could not pass standard emissions tests - tests designed to remove highly polluting cars from the road.

Such pollutions warms up our atmosphere and that in turn melts the ice in the Arctic and Antarctica and that in turn raises the Sea and Ocean levels and that in turn will eventually submerge coastal cities like Lagos!

get it??

how could anyone mistake this as my attempt to posit an explanation for what just happened?

more like "you think what just happened is bad people, well wait until the scary future gets here based on the behaviours of Nigerians today".

will you get it now, nope... probably not because ur head is so far up ur a s s you cant see a step ahead or ur fogged up mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Picture Of Young Sanusi, His Grand-dad , Bello And A British Diplomat / APC Deployed N1.3billion Hush Money To Stop Hashim, As Fela Durotoye Got N750m / Declare Abba Yusuf The Winner Of Kano Governorship Election Now... - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.