Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) (39195 Views)

Push APC Into Atlantic Ocean, Agbaje Tells Igbo / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge / Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2012
Sun of god:

So your disputimg what people who live on the poles are witnessing?

I'm not putting forward theories (which may or may not be accurate) but facts that are verifiable.

PS: The 'Your Jargon' was excessive.

This has nothing to do with disputing people on the pole or not, it has more to do with beauty of science itself.. All I did was offer another plausible explanation.

Facts? I have not come across a scholarly article stating the 'full scale' tilting has been achieved (forgive my ignorance)

LOL...sad you see it that way, thought it was an avenue for us all to learn.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by wizard01(m): 11:20pm On Aug 19, 2012
God will save us all
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by odizzy: 11:25pm On Aug 19, 2012
Shaw007: did you go 2 skul at all? I guess not. . .av u hrd of anything called science?? I also guess not,and since when did jonathan receive power over those named forces and occurence?

Like all dose things are happening 4 d 1st time in history right?
u re simply a NL goat, i dnt hv tym 4 u cos u re jus a riff raff, i hv aired my opinoin n daz final i dnt ask 4 lecture frm illiterates lyk u, f00l
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by odizzy: 11:29pm On Aug 19, 2012
cashcpt:

U are the biggest m0r0n on Nairaland
and u re d largest pig in NL
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Sunofgod(m): 11:31pm On Aug 19, 2012
Santino1:

This has nothing to do with disputing people on the pole or not, it has more to do with beauty of science itself.. All I did was offer another plausible explanation.

Facts? I have not come across a scholarly article stating the 'full scale' tilting has been achieved (forgive my ignorance)

LOL...sad you see it that way, thought it was an avenue for us all to learn.

Its not my field - but I rely more on eye witness accounts rather than theories.

Those simple 'Inuits' described what they are witnessing on the poles - and it ties in with other earth changes.

Likewise, 'Americans' seem to know that the poles are moving and are making relevant changes.

Nigerian science is always behind - hence we speculate whilst they 'make statements' based on occurences.

I'm not a geologists or even a scientists - but I take in info, analyse and then draw my own conclusions.

I believe we're in the 'midst' of a change - how its defined is irrelevant.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by odizzy: 11:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
cupid4ig: I just wonder who gave u the phone or laptop that u are using to type this rubbish. Idiota
goat do u wnt 2 still d phone or laptop frm me? Zombi
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 19, 2012
19naia: My first thought was the same as yours but also sometimes it can come from distant bad winds in the ocean...I Searched on a web site "Latest earthquakes in the world-past 7 days." Just type that into google or so and there is a USGS (united states geological survey) list of all the significant quakes in the world..I checkit every day........The list shows an earthquake in the mid atlantic fault right on same latitude as nigerian coast..It was 5.2 quake aug 17 and is big enough to make small surge to reach lagos and even delta coastal regions.The 1st report was august 18, so maybe it was from august 17 event which took many hours to reach lagos..It is possible that offshore underwater ridges near lagos could have swelled the surge into lagos area....This is not an official report,only my own independant considerations....Be safe you ocean dwelling people and maybe Naija government has been right to remove all the waterfront settlers in lagos..I hope the government will offer alternative resettlement and not just evict them to wander lost....

Best explanation. Tsunamis and surge occur when we have underwater seismic events such as an underwater earthquake or volcanic eruption.
Since your findings points to earthquake in the mid atlantic, this would be most plausible reason. I would love to proffer a solution
1. its time a disaster/flood-proof master plan is created for that place. They have many in Holland, thats a country with thousands of canals....and besides, we can copy these guys.....
2. BRF admin cant just keep dishing out Certificate of Occupancies for every location at the island no more. Lagosians arent that smart.
3. Get the same Holland company that created the Lagos Atlantic model, to look into all the coastal areas, and determine solutions.

All these aren't easy....but for someone who cares about lives like BRF, and with good intentions, a good leader, I think the cost isnt worth more Lagosians lives.
Eko Oni Baje O.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 11:43pm On Aug 19, 2012
Sun of god:

Its not my field - but I rely more on eye witness accounts rather than theories.

Those simple 'Inuits' described what they are witnessing on the poles - and it ties in with other earth changes.

Likewise, 'Americans' seem to know that the poles are moving and are making relevant changes.

Nigerian science is always behind - hence we speculate whilst they 'make statements' based on occurences.

I'm not a geologists or even a scientists - but I take in info, analyse and then draw my own conclusions.

I believe we're in the 'midst' of a change - how its defined is irrelevant.

Did you read 19naia's post citing a USGS report of a possible earthquake triggering a fault in the mid-Atlantic ridge?

Well, that sounds more plausible and convincing to me than a titlting earth, since the earth has been tilting since time immemorial
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Santino1(m): 11:56pm On Aug 19, 2012
@aasog1

I agree with your recommendations. I believe when completed, the great wall of Lagos should be strong enough to withstand 'Atlantic-scale' surge, atleast according to the Danish scientists that modeled the great wall
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by KayDee4: 12:01am On Aug 20, 2012
Santino1: Exactly, that's why I suggested the tropical/extratropical cyclone earlier. Naija doesn't seem to be sitting on an active tectonic environment.

P.S: checked out your profile and it's all screaming GEOSCIENCES (hope una don drill like 1bbopd from that seismic volume..LOL. Good to meet a fellow geoscientist and actively following ya
Yeah, its not a tectonically active environment but the presence of transform faults along the mid-atlantic ridge can trigger an activity, maybe not to the magnitude in the pacific but never say never , lol.
good to meet you too, following you right back.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Eleazarrh(m): 12:14am On Aug 20, 2012
mhen, this is seriox
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Holyrule(m): 12:16am On Aug 20, 2012
Should be 6 dead, 10 missing
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by exclusive4real: 1:11am On Aug 20, 2012
na waoooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh wich kind thing na[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Paulrutase(m): 1:25am On Aug 20, 2012
yeah........ its really dangerous.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by GAR3TH(m): 2:00am On Aug 20, 2012
auwal87: The title on sahara reporters read;
"Multi-Billion Dollar "Eko Atlantic City" Project Caused Fatal Atlantic Ocean Surge That Killed 16 People In Lagos"

It is truly irresponsible journalism by Sahara Reporters to blame Eko Atlantic City for the surge. SR did not think this through, I believe they just wrote this headline to gain views. It is mathematically impossible for dredging of the ocean to cause any real displacement in ocean water nor can dredging cause flooding to an ocean coastline that is already exposed to the elements. To add on, Surges have been happening for decades, Even before Eko Atlantic started. If you all remember, every time there was a storm the ocean will surge and flood pass ahmadu bello way. The entire road was 2-3 feet below water!!!
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by emmatok(m): 2:01am On Aug 20, 2012
Hmm, some peeps are really watching the movie 2012.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Ivynwa(f): 2:02am On Aug 20, 2012
Jeez! Rest in Peace to the dead.

I remember wondering what will become of those properties around that bar beach whenever I pass that place on my way to work inside Victoria Island several years ago and now that is almost happening. This is because the Ocean level keeps rising, the bar beach I knew in 2002 was different from bar beach in 2006 with a great portion of the beach side claimed by the ocean which made me wonder how much more lands the ocean will keep covering with years.

I love relaxing by the beach and I consider a house with a sea view heavenly yet I don't think it is the best investment to build around the sea as it can be claimed by water someday unless one just wants to enjoy the benefit of the investment(tourism/domestic) for the while and forget about the property when it gets swallowed up.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Excuzeme: 2:26am On Aug 20, 2012
GAR3TH: It is truly irresponsible journalism by Sahara Reporters to blame Eko Atlantic City for the surge. SR did not think this through, I believe they just wrote this headline to gain views. It is mathematically impossible for dredging of the ocean to cause any real displacement in ocean water nor can dredging cause flooding to an ocean coastline that is already exposed to the elements. To add on, Surges have been happening for decades, Even before Eko Atlantic started. If you all remember, every time there was a storm the ocean will surge and flood pass ahmadu bello way. The entire road was 2-3 feet below water!!!

Your post is NOT entirely accurate.
You intentionally or "without being aware", forgot to add that "dredging sand from the ocean" (for the purpose of sand-filling) has to occur at a certain MINIMUM DISTANCE FROM THE SHORE-LINE, if the effect of such dredging is not to have a NEGATIVE IMPACT on the shoreline?
I dont want to go into details here (but let me add that the minimum distance is 15 Nautical miles from the shoreline otherwise, the ocean will simply "SUCK" the shore's sand outwards, to replace the "vacuum/void" created by the initial dredging and the beach line could be 'history'!)as l no wan enter "Lagos rofo-rofo fight". wink wink

Nature abhors a vacuum and the ocean is much more powerful than we seem to give it credit for.

At times, "Thunder can assist a Bomb" and the after-sound is even more explosive
It is when we compound natures wrath that shyte like this happen every year and on increasing scale....if you get my drift. wink wink

Its an "unfortunate" incident and my heart sympathies goes to those who lost loved ones.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by igbo2011(m): 3:33am On Aug 20, 2012
I hope this doesn't happen in Eko Atlantic City sad RIP
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by mfonini: 3:45am On Aug 20, 2012
www.mobiprov.info the newly Prov file creator generator and maker online
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by basisop(m): 5:08am On Aug 20, 2012
It was once reported that Lagos would submerge someday. Is it time already?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by ramaju: 5:09am On Aug 20, 2012
Shaw007: Whoa!! Strange. . .not strange like strange perse but,things like dis dont really happen in this parts at least,i understand d ocean can cross its boundary absolutely normal. . .but,wasnt there some kind of earthquake or fault or sometin 2 have caused this??,is this like a mini-tsunami or sometin??
I like your grammar die.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Darlo22(m): 5:20am On Aug 20, 2012
Remii: hotel vantage is almost gone all its sea side seatout washed off and hotel closed . goshen estate in under threat too.
Then this definitely serious.A few weeks ago it was alpha beach, now this, hope the guys building the Eko atlantic will consider this in their calculations?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by tpia5: 5:35am On Aug 20, 2012
any explanation from the meteorologists as to what might have caused the surge?

lord have mercy.

was there an earthquake somewhere, a fault line, weather issues, etc?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:40am On Aug 20, 2012
This is a normal ocean surge associated with lunar magnetic pull, keep these sciences of doom away from my thought systems, you are making me scared already.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Pakavy(m): 6:57am On Aug 20, 2012
kunle.t.ade:
Yet they say this is this future of lagos I better start making preparation of how to go back to my village
i hope ur village is not located up north?my neighbour sold his house up north 2 relocate 2 lag..is all this not d sign of d end tyms?
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by samkoro: 7:00am On Aug 20, 2012
When they built those dykes(barriers) the construction firm spoke a lot of engineering jagons,just the way they are speaking today on the Eko atlantic city via sandfilling the atlantic ocean.They will give you assurance that the barriers can stop the highest sunami in the world.Now this was just a wave and we had this.What if its a 4meter tsunami.

Rubbish! Those leaving in Lekki are risking their lives in front of a roaring lion like the ocean.Its a time bomb
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by samkoro: 7:19am On Aug 20, 2012
Billyonaire: This is a normal ocean surge associated with lunar magnetic pull, keep these sciences of doom away from my thought systems, you are making me scared already.

Its part of it.The lunar pull is highest now because its full moon.The lunar pull tends to raise liquids up.When body fluids and blood are raised up to the brain,there tends to be more violence around the world.This is why occult people like full moon because of the blood it brings,It is why full moon are symbolised in vampire films,thriller .That is why religious murders and violence are more in full moon than at the cresent level.It is the reason why those who worship the Arabian moon god are prone to be violent

The bottom line is ;safety is not guranteed near oceans.Any thing can happen.

1 Like

Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by sylve11: 7:49am On Aug 20, 2012
Terrible! sad cool
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 20, 2012
samkoro:

Its part of it.The lunar pull is highest now because its full moon.The lunar pull tends to raise liquids up.When body fluids and blood are raised up to the brain,there tends to be more violence around the world.This is why occult people like full moon because of the blood it brings,It is why full moon are symbolised in vampire films,thriller .That is why religious murders and violence are more in full moon than at the cresent level.It is the reason why those who worship the Arabian moon god are prone to be violent

The bottom line is ;safety is not guranteed near oceans.Any thing can happen.

Guy, you are making me nervous. Lets just understand that the ocean surge is as a result of the lunar magnetic pull. That's simple and understandable. Please keep superstition and conspiracy theories out of the windows. There are no vampires and blood sucking cults. If there were, believe me I would have joined them.
Re: Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) by Biggyd2: 7:54am On Aug 20, 2012
I am not an expert here but wouldn't the sand filling of the waters carried out in this state have nothing to do with this problem?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Church Wedding Of Deola Smart And Malivelihood (photos, Video) / President Muhammadu Buhari Departed Abuja For London (Photos) / Dolapo And Yemi Osinbajo's White Wedding In 1990 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.