Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,280 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (877555 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Consy11(f): 6:09am On May 16, 2015
omicron:
That is also a common complaint in pregnancy, not a problem. This pain should however be bearable. When it becomes unbearable or unusual or associated with bleeding or drainage of baby water, please see your doctor as an emergency.

But minor lower abdominal pains only are not problems. The pains are thought to be related to stretching or expansion of the womb as baby grows.
TNX SO MUCH. WISH U A HAPI WEEKEND! GD MORNING!

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Kudibaby(f): 11:25am On May 16, 2015
omicron:
well 400mcg is the recommended dosage but I'm aware many people are given the 5mg tablet cos that is what is usually available. It is not overdosage.

You may also discuss with your doctor regarding omega 3 fatty acids, coenzyme Q and vitamin c and e.

But generally, intake of green leafy vegetables and fruits will provide you with your nutritional needs as well, along with a balanced diet.

All the best
thanks Dr May God reward you abundantly

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Kudibaby(f): 11:56am On May 16, 2015
Hello Dr omicron,please my scan result showed a 5.44 x 5.01 multilocular cyst in the left ovary and a 4.81 x 4.23cm bilateral cyst in the right with a well circumscribed capsules and contains anechoic fluid.The left sided cyst shows multiple internal septations but no solid components.please Dr explain what it means because my Dr say he 'll have to remove the cyst to make sure it is not cancerous.could it be cancer?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Dadsonval(f): 5:00pm On May 16, 2015
Pls, what medications or herbs that can cure mutiple ovarian cysts in ttc?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 6:59pm On May 16, 2015
Kudibaby:
Hello Dr omicron,please my scan result showed a 5.44 x 5.01 multilocular cyst in the left ovary and a 4.81 x 4.23cm bilateral cyst in the right with a well circumscribed capsules and contains anechoic fluid.The left sided cyst shows multiple internal septations but no solid components.please Dr explain what it means because my Dr say he 'll have to remove the cyst to make sure it is not cancerous.could it be cancer?
Hi,

There is really no way to say conclusively if a cyst is malignant (cancerous) or benign (not cancerous) until a histology test is perfomed with a specimen from that cyst (or ovary) after its removal (surgery). Hence, what the doctor said is a fact. However, caution - rather than haste -is highly advised, as malignant ovarian cysts are reasonably rare.

Factors suspicious of malignancy in the cysts found are the presence of internal septations in one, and the multilocular nature of another. However, these are not conclusive signs of malignancy. Absence of free fluid within the pelvis (inferred) and absence of solid components in the cysts are significant factors against malignancy

I think you should think less about whether the cysts are cancerous or not and focus on its removal or not. I cannot have an objective opinion here as I have not seen you; moreso I am not a gynaecologist (yet). So listen to your doctor, but make sure he is a consultant gynaecologist, preferably a very experienced one.

There is also the option of observation, whereby these cysts are watched over the months to see how their characteristics change with time, but your doctor should be the ultimate guide in this.

Removal of the cyst could be a cystectomy, whereby only the cysts are removed, leaving the rest of the ovary intact. Considering that you are ttc, this should be the way to go for you -at least initially.

Cyst removal may also be via oophorectomy, whereby the whole ovary is removed. Again, your ttc status means this can only be considered as a life saving procedure. Sometimes the whole ovary, tubes, and womb are removed (salpingo-oophorectomy + hysterectomy), again if life must be saved at that cost.

If you are going to get it removed, make sure you are 100% clear of what the consent form says might be removed before you sign.

In order to certainly say wheather those cysts are benign or malignant, you will need its removal + histology/cytology.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Kudibaby(f): 7:39pm On May 16, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

There is really no way to say conclusively if a cyst is malignant (cancerous) or benign (not cancerous) until a histology test is perfomed with a specimen from that cyst (or ovary) after its removal (surgery). Hence, what the doctor said is a fact. However, caution - rather than haste -is highly advised, as malignant ovarian cysts are reasonably rare.

Factors suspicious of malignancy in the cysts found are the presence of internal septations in one, and the multilocular nature of another. However, these are not conclusive signs of malignancy. Absence of free fluid within the pelvis (inferred) and absence of solid components in the cysts are significant factors against malignancy

I think you should think less about whether the cysts are cancerous or not and focus on its removal or not. I cannot have an objective opinion here as I have not seen you; moreso I am not a gynaecologist (yet). So listen to your doctor, but make sure he is a consultant gynaecologist, preferably a very experienced one.

There is also the option of observation, whereby these cysts are watched over the months to see how their characteristics change with time, but your doctor should be the ultimate guide in this.

Removal of the cyst could be a cystectomy, whereby only the cysts are removed, leaving the rest of the ovary intact. Considering that you are ttc, this should be the way to go for you -at least initially.

Cyst removal may also be via oophorectomy, whereby the whole ovary is removed. Again, your ttc status means this can only be considered as a life saving procedure. Sometimes the whole ovary, tubes, and womb are removed (salpingo-oophorectomy + hysterectomy), again if life must be saved at that cost.

If you are going to get it removed, make sure you are 100% clear of what the consent form says might be removed before you sign.

In order to certainly say wheather those cysts are benign or malignant, you will need its removal + histology/cytology.

All the best.
thanks so much Dr,will go and seek for professional opinion before the removal

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gwagon(f): 7:25am On May 17, 2015
Hi doctor. A friend of mine had a D&C around september/october 2013 but it was not properly done. The whole thing was not evacuated which she later found out and she went to the doctor but the doctor told her that she have to exercise patience that it will wipe out with time. But Around october 2014, she started having problems like no menstruation and she told it was an infection and she went back to the doctor and had a lab test which was ok and she had a scan too which revealed that the fluid is still there in her womb since that time. The doctor told her that he will evacuate it and that it can only be done if she get pregnant again so as to make the womb open because according to him the womb is closed and she cannot do D&C until it's open otherwise she will go for surgery to remove the remaining fluid. This year 2015, she took in towards the end of April and went back to the doctor but to her surprise, the doctor told her that he won't carry out the D&C and that she have to deliver. She is about 7wks now and she's seriously going through pains and has been seriously sick since then. What can she do to remove it because she don't want to have another child now because of hardship. She intentionally got pregnant because she was told by the doctor that that was the only way to evacuate the remaining fluid in her womb but the story has changed now. Is there any solution. She doesn't need the pregnancy at all and her health status is getting worse by the day. U can reply via charlie_190@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by adelurv(f): 7:40am On May 17, 2015
Hello Doc,
I've missed my period for 3mnths now..and now am having dis browny discharge for like five days now.. What cld b d cause??
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Rexology: 9:32am On May 17, 2015
omicron:
Those are the commonest symptoms of hyperprolactinaemia, which means an excessively high level of the hormone prolactin.

When left untreated, it could lead to anovulation (lack of ovulation), which can in turn affect the regularity of the mesnses as well as fertility.

It is a treatable condition.

Let her see her doctor to comfirm this diagnosis, investigate what may have caused it, and get treated.
Hello Doctor,
She had these tests and below are the results:
Rt ovary:10. Lt ovary:7
Rt ovarian vol:11.4cm³ Lt ovarian vol:14cm³
Mearsurement of the 3 largest follicles
F1...18mm. F1....16mm
F2...10mm. F2....13mm
F3...9mm. F3....9mm
The uterus is normal in size and outline. The AP dimension is 45mm.No focal mass is seen in the myometrium.The endometrial plate is thickened. It measures about 16mm.There is no free fluid in the POD. There are sonographic features suggestive of pelvic adhersions.

ANOTHER TEST RESULT:
Testosterone: 10.9 ng/ml
Prolactine level: 45.5ng/ml
TSH: 2.81ulU/ml (lab ref range 0.4--6.2)
Please help her interprete these results and suggest the way forward.
Am anxiousely waiting for your response.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Fumbaby: 9:55am On May 17, 2015
Hello doc, I want to know the best time to go for a pregnancy test? my last ovulation was on the 15th + I had lower abdominal pain a day b4 high fertility
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 10:27am On May 18, 2015
Rexology:

Hello Doctor,
She had these tests and below are the results:
Rt ovary:10. Lt ovary:7
Rt ovarian vol:11.4cm³ Lt ovarian vol:14cm³
Mearsurement of the 3 largest follicles
F1...18mm. F1....16mm
F2...10mm. F2....13mm
F3...9mm. F3....9mm
The uterus is normal in size and outline. The AP dimension is 45mm.No focal mass is seen in the myometrium.The endometrial plate is thickened. It measures about 16mm.There is no free fluid in the POD. There are sonographic features suggestive of pelvic adhersions.

ANOTHER TEST RESULT:
Testosterone: 10.9 ng/ml
Prolactine level: 45.5ng/ml
TSH: 2.81ulU/ml (lab ref range 0.4--6.2)
Please help her interprete these results and suggest the way forward.
Am anxiousely waiting for your response.
Hi,

The serum testosterone is within normal range. No problem here.

The serum TSH is also within normal range.

The prolactin is high, almost double the upper limit of normal. That is hyperprolactinaemia.

The scan showed normal-sized uterus; no fibroids.

The ovaries are ok.

The endometrium of 16mm is normal for someone who had just ovulated.

The scan showed features suggestive of adhesions. Picture adhesions as abnormal bands of tissues that join different parts of an organ, or different organs, together. They are usually an aftermath of an infection that was poorly managed or surgery.

There is however no evidence of on-going infections

Let her continue her treatment for the high prolactin.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 10:33am On May 18, 2015
Fumbaby:
Hello doc, I want to know the best time to go for a pregnancy test? my last ovulation was on the 15th + I had lower abdominal pain a day b4 high fertility
Hi,

You may go for a blood pregnancy test as from 7 days after your ovulation. For a urine test, it is 10 days after.

There is really no 'best' time for a PT; these are the earliest times the test may become positive if conception had taken place.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Fumbaby: 10:43am On May 18, 2015
Thanks doc

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Rexology: 10:48am On May 18, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

The serum testosterone is within normal range. No problem here.

The serum TSH is also within normal range.

The prolactin is high, almost double the upper limit of normal. That is hyperprolactinaemia.

The scan showed normal size uterus, no fibroids.

The ovaries are ok.

The endometrium of 16mm is normal for someone who had just ovulated.

The scan showed features suggestive of adhesions. Picture adhesions as abnormal bands of tissues that joins different parts of an organ, or different organs together. They are usually an aftermath of an infection that was poorly managed or surgery.

There is however no evidence of on-going infections

Let her continue her treatment for the high prolactin.

All the best
Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gwagon(f): 2:59pm On May 18, 2015
Gwagon:
Hi doctor. A friend of mine had a D&C around september/october 2013 but it was not properly done. The whole thing was not evacuated which she later found out and she went to the doctor but the doctor told her that she have to exercise patience that it will wipe out with time. But Around october 2014, she started having problems like no menstruation and she told it was an infection and she went back to the doctor and had a lab test which was ok and she had a scan too which revealed that the fluid is still there in her womb since that time. The doctor told her that he will evacuate it and that it can only be done if she get pregnant again so as to make the womb open because according to him the womb is closed and she cannot do D&C until it's open otherwise she will go for surgery to remove the remaining fluid. This year 2015, she took in towards the end of April and went back to the doctor but to her surprise, the doctor told her that he won't carry out the D&C and that she have to deliver. She is about 7wks now and she's seriously going through pains and has been seriously sick since then. What can she do to remove it because she don't want to have another child now because of hardship. She intentionally got pregnant because she was told by the doctor that that was the only way to evacuate the remaining fluid in her womb but the story has changed now. Is there any solution. She doesn't need the pregnancy at all and her health status is getting worse by the day. U can reply via charlie_190@yahoo.com. Thanks
hello doc, i made the complain above that needs attention but i didn't get your reply.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by hope43: 7:24pm On May 18, 2015
Hello dr, am experiencing discharge from my breast and my dr had me ran prolactin test which was 654.what does that mean.thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by hope43: 7:25pm On May 18, 2015
*boobs
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:13pm On May 18, 2015
adelurv:
Hello Doc,
I've missed my period for 3mnths now..and now am having dis browny discharge for like five days now.. What cld b d cause??
Have you done a pregnancy test?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:23pm On May 18, 2015
Gwagon:
hello doc, i made the complain above that needs attention but i didn't get your reply.
Ok, I never really saw that.

The story is not very clear. What fluid did the doctor want to evacuate?

Also, I doubt the doctor said he could only remove the whatever fluid (so to speak) only when she took in again. If he said that, then he is not a physician!

Lastly, and unfortunately, I do not advise in favour of voluntary TOP, at least as it is still criminal in our
country.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:28pm On May 18, 2015
hope43:
Hello dr, am experiencing discharge from my breast and my dr had me ran prolactin test which was 654.what does that mean.thanks
Hi,

In what unit is the number you wrote in? Is it in ng?

Most likely you have hyperprolactinaemia, or abnormally high level of the hormone prolactin. This is the commonest cause of breasst discharge in women who are neither pregnant nor breatsfeeding.

It is also a common cause of irregular menstrual cycle and lack of ovulation.

But it is treatable.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gwagon(f): 6:33am On May 19, 2015
omicron:
yes she have done that and it's positive. She's about 7wks now but not up to 8wks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gwagon(f): 6:46am On May 19, 2015
omicron:
Ok, I never really saw that.

The story is not very clear. What fluid did the doctor want to evacuate?

Also, I doubt the doctor said he could only remove the whatever fluid (so to speak) only when she took in again. If he said that, then he is not a physician!

Lastly, and unfortunately, I do not advise in favour of voluntary TOP, at least as it is still criminal in our
country.

All the best.

the fluid is as a result of incomplete D&C. Yes, the doctor said she have to take in again before he will evacuate it otherwise she will go for surgery which can be dangerous and not advisable. Now she is pregnant and he is saying that it is not going to be possible again. Can u refer her to any experienced gynae cos she has been terribly sick since then? U can contact me via email charlie_190@yahoo.com thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by abracadabraspec(f): 12:18pm On May 19, 2015
Pls Doc, I sent a message but still no reply. Plz am in need of ur advice
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:44pm On May 19, 2015
abracadabraspec:
Doc, I gave birth to my son 22months ago tru CS, I stopped breastfeeding him at 9months begins my period last year December though not d regular flow as when I haven't givin birth n it only flow for 2 days. Now I want to get pregnant to have 2nd baby. My hubby n I sex at least 2wice in a week but still no pregnancy.
PlzzZzzzzzzz wat can I do or can d CS be d problem?
abracadabraspec:
Pls Doc, I sent a message but still no reply. Plz am in need of ur advice
When did you start trying to conceive again? Was conception particularly hard the first time?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:48pm On May 19, 2015
Gwagon:
the fluid is as a result of incomplete D&C. Yes, the doctor said she have to take in again before he will evacuate it otherwise she will go for surgery which can be dangerous and not advisable. Now she is pregnant and he is saying that it is not going to be possible again. Can u refer her to any experienced gynae cos she has been terribly sick since then? U can contact me via email charlie_190@yahoo.com thanks.
Well, the story still does not make medical sense. If that is what truly transpired, then he must be a quack if you check well.

Let her see a doctor closeby if she is "terribly sick".

I do not know your location in order to see if I know any Gynaecologist around you.

You may pm me if you don't want this in public.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by adelurv(f): 3:30pm On May 19, 2015
omicron:
Yes Doc, I have. I tested negative. I'm definitely not pregnant.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2015
adelurv:

Yes Doc, I have. I tested negative. I'm definitely not pregnant.
Various things could be the cause, from physical and mental stress, to problems with the ovaries, uterus and to drugs.

You should see a doctor.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by DrPhanes01: 4:18pm On May 19, 2015
omicron:
If I told you the Staph is a contaminant, you would not be satisfied.

Repeat the test at another lab and compare the results. You would see it will most likely bring a different result.
Staphylococcus is probably a contaminant because it leaves on the skin or in the laboratory. If you truly have staphylococcus infection you will feel terribly sick. You know staphylococcus causes boil so if you have staphylococcus you should feel the same pain of boil in your genital
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gwagon(f): 6:57am On May 20, 2015
omicron:
Well, the story still does not make medical sense. If that is what truly transpired, then he must be a quack if you check well.

Let her see a doctor closeby if she is "terribly sick".

I do not know your location in order to see if I know any Gynaecologist around you.

You may pm me if you don't want this in public.
can i send u email?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:13am On May 20, 2015
Gwagon:
can i send u email?
yea, use the PM
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gwagon(f): 8:37am On May 20, 2015
omicron:
yea, use the PM
i don't have ur email address.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by tchiwinnie: 9:32am On May 20, 2015
Gwagon:
Ur story really isnt clear. If d D&C done in 2013 wasnt completely done as u said, she wld hv bn very sick and complications wld hv started b4 2014. There s no such fluid u remove only when a woman s pregnant. Its definitely not a dr u ve bn seeing. Sue whoever it is if u hv d strenght. Meanwhile, kp this current pregnancy. I dont c any sense in getting pregnant just to terminate it. A lot of women are seeking babies of their own . So pls b strong and kp d baby. Go to d nearest teaching hospital to u for proper care. All d best!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.