Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,679 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (179) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (879477 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 9:24am On Jul 27, 2015
nelsoelomi:
pls doctors in the house
each time i shave i noticed that after 3days the shaved area start itching and scratching me and before one wk some sturbon bumps wil appear making the itching n scratching more serious.
Pls what can do to stop the after shaving bumps or is there any drugs that can make it to stop pls tell me
Hi

You may have to change your shavin cream.

Also, try using a preventive triple action cream on the shaved area for up to a week. Sometimes this helps to prevent such reactions.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by mubzay(f): 10:43am On Jul 27, 2015
@omicron: God bless u real good. Kindly hlp out. According to ovulation calculator my OD was yday but felt menstrual like cramp n some wetness that looks as if AF is flowing but on checking, it was clear fluid. Cud it b ovu pains or what? Didn't feel d lower back pain I do feel during O just a dull pain in my lower abdominal region. Thank u
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Jenonye(f): 11:05am On Jul 27, 2015
omicron:
Did you have episiotomy? Are you breastfeeding? If you are breastfeeding, is it exclusive?

Yes I had epistomy. And I'm breast feeding exclusively
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 9:30pm On Jul 27, 2015
mubzay:
@omicron: God bless u real good. Kindly hlp out. According to ovulation calculator my OD was yday but felt menstrual like cramp n some wetness that looks as if AF is flowing but on checking, it was clear fluid. Cud it b ovu pains or what? Didn't feel d lower back pain I do feel during O just a dull pain in my lower abdominal region. Thank u
Thank you.

Yea, must have been ovulation pains. Sometimes, ovulation pains are similar to menstrual cramps. The clear discharge is also suggestive of ovulation.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 10:20pm On Jul 27, 2015
Jenonye:

Yes I had epistomy. And I'm breast feeding exclusively
The fact that you are breastfeeding makes this bleeding very suspicious.

It is unlikely that it is your period too, since it has no pattern at all, and has been almost continous since it started.

It could be a secondary postpartum haemorrhge, a kind of abnormal bleeding that can come days to weeks after birth. Retained products and loose sutures are the commonest causes.

You should do everything to ensure this bleeding is not sinister. This includes full clinical examination, including speculum examination, and also a pap smear.

I believe your doctor will help you in this regard.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by mubzay(f): 11:10am On Jul 28, 2015
@omicron: thank you so much. It is noted.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by fearless07(f): 2:53pm On Jul 28, 2015
Good day Doc, I am 5 weeks pregnant. I woke up this morning feeling wetness, I wiped with a tissue and saw dark red blood. I quickly had my bath and DH took me to the hospital, where I was sent to do a scan. The scan result:
Non gravid anteverted uterus is seen with a homogeneous myometrial echopattern measuring about 70 by 45 mm. Scanty echogenic materials was noted within the endometrial cavity. Both adnexae appear free of complex masses and within normal limits. Mild fluid collection is seen in the pouch of Douglas .
Impression : incomplete abortion.

The sonographer said I should allow the materials to expel on its own for a week then I should do a scan to see if there is a remainant. My Doc is against this, she wanted to start evacuation immediately but I told her to allow me go home, then I will come back tomorrow for evacuation. I am confused and in tears. My Doc said it might be an infection or the fetus wasn't developing normally so the body has to expel it. I told her I took Franol on the 4th and 11th of July for an asthmatic attack without knowing I was pregnant.
Doc, would you advice that I allow the fetus to expel or I evacuate? Thanks. Sorry for the long post.
P.s : I am still bleeding with menstrual like cramps and on the second pad.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 10:38pm On Jul 28, 2015
fearless07:
Good day Doc, I am 5 weeks pregnant. I woke up this morning feeling wetness, I wiped with a tissue and saw dark red blood. I quickly had my bath and DH took me to the hospital, where I was sent to do a scan. The scan result:
Non gravid anteverted uterus is seen with a homogeneous myometrial echopattern measuring about 70 by 45 mm. Scanty echogenic materials was noted within the endometrial cavity. Both adnexae appear free of complex masses and within normal limits. Mild fluid collection is seen in the pouch of Douglas .
Impression : incomplete abortion.

The sonographer said I should allow the materials to expel on its own for a week then I should do a scan to see if there is a remainant. My Doc is against this, she wanted to start evacuation immediately but I told her to allow me go home, then I will come back tomorrow for evacuation. I am confused and in tears. My Doc said it might be an infection or the fetus wasn't developing normally so the body has to expel it. I told her I took Franol on the 4th and 11th of July for an asthmatic attack without knowing I was pregnant.
Doc, would you advice that I allow the fetus to expel or I evacuate? Thanks. Sorry for the long post.
P.s : I am still bleeding with menstrual like cramps and on the second pad.
So sorry dear for your loss. I'm just seeing this.

It is riskier to wait for the products to expel by themselves. It is unecessary too.

If you havent already done so, the advice is to evacuate it via suction curretage.

If the bleeding is not so heavy too, you may do another scan at another centre to crosscheck. If the report is same, evacuate.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by fearless07(f): 7:21am On Jul 29, 2015
omicron:

It is riskier to wait for the products to expel by themselves. It is unecessary too.

If you havent already done so, the advice is to evacuate it via suction curretage.

If the bleeding is not so heavy too, you may do another scan at another centre to crosscheck. If the report is same, evacuate.

All the best
Thanks Doc.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by megfrank: 12:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
omicron:

All the best

Good day doctor, hope today is going well? Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. I haven't been at ease, so I need confirmation on something from you. I had a pre-employment medical examination for a company, and my bp was unusually high(163/65) (I run bp checks at home and it's normal) the doctor said it was probably due to anxiety , and I agree with this, because I was actually tensed up, especially as hospital settings always give me a fright most times. Am 22 years of age, and I have been worried. Could the high bp at the pre medicals cost me the job? I really would appreciate your reply.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 11:18pm On Jul 29, 2015
megfrank:

Good day doctor, hope today is going well? Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. I haven't been at ease, so I need confirmation on something from you. I had a pre-employment medical examination for a company, and my bp was unusually high(163/65) (I run bp checks at home and it's normal) the doctor said it was probably due to anxiety , and I agree with this, because I was actually tensed up, especially as hospital settings always give me a fright most times. Am 22 years of age, and I have been worried. Could the high bp at the pre medicals cost me the job? I really would appreciate your reply.

Hi!

Since you have been checking your BP before now and have been getting normal values, it is most likely this is an anxiety-induced high systolic (the value above, ie the 163) blood pressure. This does not mean that you are hypertensive.

That the diastolic blood pressure (the value below, ie 65) is normal also supports this possiblity, since anxiety, stress and physical exercise are known to cause momentary increase in systolic blood pressure so much more than the diastolic.

However, we cannot rule out other possibilities conclusively. At your age, causes of hypertension are usually secondary (due to) to hormonal problems, tumours, kidney problems, etc. It is highly unlikely that you have any of this condition if the only suspicion of you being hypertensive is from the reading you got above.

A way to have an objective idea of your blood pressure status is by having a 24 hours ambulatory BP monitoring. Hospitals with standard cardiology departments have this test.

But no need to worry still, if you consistently get normal results at other times, then the chance that you are hypertensive from any cause is next to nothing.

The high systolic BP should and will not cost you the job, all other things being equal.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Aim07(f): 9:18am On Jul 31, 2015
Good morning doc., please what is the correct daily dosage for taking calcium, folic acid and vitamin C tablets during pregnancy? I am in my second trimester, thanks for your usual response.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 31, 2015
Good morning Dr Omicron. I'm new here and I like the way you attend and answer people's questions. God's grace all the way.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by exegesis: 8:00pm On Jul 31, 2015
Gud evening doctor omicron. I've bin following dis thread for awhile and I rily appreciate all you've bin doing. pls help me interpret my scan test result to determine the cause of my infertility.

The uterus is normal in size and empty. It shows homogeneous echo pattern, there is a thick wall. cystic lesslan seen in the left adnaxae. it shows internal strand and measures 51mm. The right adnaxeum and the POD are normal.

pls what does it mean?

lastly I also did HVS.
ECS- yeast cells-numerous. Culture- yeast growth after 24 hours.
HVS- yeast cells-moderate. Culture- yeast growth after 24 hours.

pls what does it mean? Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 6:35am On Aug 01, 2015
Aim07:
Good morning doc., please what is the correct daily dosage for taking calcium, folic acid and vitamin C tablets during pregnancy? I am in my second trimester, thanks for your usual response.
Good Morning,

Calcium is 1000mg per day

Folic acid is 600mcg per day. Those that have had pregnancies with Neural Tube Defects -a kind of abnormal development of the brain and spinal cord- should take up to 4mg daily. Folic acid is most useful before conception and until the 3rd month.

Vitamin C up to 300mg per day is ok.

Iron is about 65mg daily. Or a tablet of fesolate 3 times a day.

Many brand names, such as Pregnacare, already has proper doses of these and other micronutrients and minerals for routine usage in pregnancy. They are better for maximum patient compliance. But discuss with your doctor before adopting any particular brand.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 6:39am On Aug 01, 2015
Lynsunny:
Good morning Dr Omicron. I'm new here and I like the way you attend and answer people's questions. God's grace all the way.
Thank you very much!
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 6:53am On Aug 01, 2015
exegesis:
Gud evening doctor omicron. I've bin following dis thread for awhile and I rily appreciate all you've bin doing. pls help me interpret my scan test result to determine the cause of my infertility.

The uterus is normal in size and empty. It shows homogeneous echo pattern, there is a thick wall. cystic lesslan seen in the left adnaxae. it shows internal strand and measures 51mm. The right adnaxeum and the POD are normal.

pls what does it mean?

lastly I also did HVS.
ECS- yeast cells-numerous. Culture- yeast growth after 24 hours.
HVS- yeast cells-moderate. Culture- yeast growth after 24 hours.

pls what does it mean? Thanks
It says that your womb is normal, meaning that they did not find any fibroids or other problems of a womb.

They saw a cyst of about 5.1cm in the left side of the pelvis. Some cysts are normal, and resolve on their own after a few cycles, but the description of this suggests that it is abnormal.

Cysts can affect fertility adversely when they are very large, but more commonly when they produce a type or an amount of hormone they are not supposed to produce, thereby inhibiting ovulation.

You should discuss with your doctor to know the impact of this cyst on your ttc status. And you also need a hormone assay.

The HVS showed some yeast cells cultured. If you do not have any symptoms of yeast infection -typically whitish, curdy vaginal discharge, associated with vulval itching - you may ignore the HVS report. If you have the symptom(s), please treat for yeast infection.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by exegesis: 9:39am On Aug 01, 2015
omicron:
It says that your womb is normal, meaning that they did not find any fibroids or other problems of a womb.

They saw a cyst of about 5.1cm in the left side of the pelvis. Some cysts are normal, and resolve on their own after a few cycles, but the description of this suggests that it is abnormal.

Cysts can affect fertility adversely when they are very large, but more commonly when they produce a type or an amount of hormone they are not supposed to produce, thereby inhibiting ovulation.

You should discuss with your doctor to know the impact of this cyst on your ttc status. And you also need a hormone assay.

The HVS showed some yeast cells cultured. If you do not have any symptoms of yeast infection -typically whitish, curdy vaginal discharge, associated with vulval itching - you may ignore the HVS report. If you have the symptom(s), please treat for yeast infection.

All the best

tanx doctor for replying. I forgot to write the conclusion of the scan- left complex ovarian cyst.
tanx for the explanation. I'm to see the gynea on monday. I'm sad at the cyst but I'm happy I no longer have fibroid. as for the yeast infection I'm not experiencing those symptoms but for some days in my last cycle, I experienced a bad smell down there. I'll start taking garlic just in case. tanx again doctor

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 01, 2015
Good morning Dr Omicron.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 11:19am On Aug 01, 2015
Lynsunny:
Good morning Dr Omicron. Pls help me with this my scan. It was done on cd15.

Bladder: empty

Uterus: the uterus is bulky and anteverted. The cavity contains a small submucous fibroid nodule at the fundal aspect measuring 1.6x1.5cm. There is fibroid mass with a central focal cyst in the anterior myometrium measuring 3.6x3.5cm.

Ovaries: both Ovaries are normal in size and parenchymal echotrxture. There is a dominant follicle noted in the left ovary measuring 14.5mm in mean diameter( ovulation.

Adnexae/POD: free, no mass. No fluid collection

Conclusion: uterine myomata. Left dominant follicle.

Good morning,

The scan showed a submucous fibroid and an intramural fibroid. Submucous fibroids are those that are located just beneath the lining of the womb, sometimes pushing into and distorting the uterine cavity (the space where the fetus would grow in). They may not prevent conception, but they are common causes of miscarriage.

Intramural fibroids are located inside the muscle of the womb. They do not generally affect conception or pregnancy, unless when they are pressing on the tubes and occluding them, or when they are just so massive that they distort the structure of the whole womb. The one you have is not massive, and it is not reported to be around the tubes.

Your ovaries are structurally normal. A dominant follicle, or an egg about to be released, was seen in the left ovary. This means you were around your ovulation period at that time.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by fosterkid: 12:05pm On Aug 01, 2015
Hallos, i just found out im pregnant and thinking of doing a progesterone test cos of a past miscarriage, when do i need to take this test or is there a way to increase progesterone in first trimester,secondly how is UTI treated in early pregnancy, thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by mummyjason: 2:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
Please Doc what can make one experience blighted ovum twice in a roll? and what can one do to prevent it from happening again.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 01, 2015
[quote author=omicron post=36491895]Good morning,

Thanks so much Dr Omicron. Please is there remedy to that. I will really appreciate such.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 01, 2015
Hello doc. I used to have a 5day menstrual flow but now it's 8days. My doc gave me Clomid and said I shud use it three days after my menstrual flow ends. My doc is aware that my flow was for 8days and he still instructed me to use it three days afta my period ends.

My question is that is it not late to start clomid?
Can I ovulate while still on Clomid or will ovulation come after the Clomid dose?

Tnx
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 01, 2015
Hello Doc, av bin on postinor for a while nw, but i discover am loosng weight cld d postinor be the cause, what can i use to add up. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:29am On Aug 02, 2015
Lynsunny:

Thanks so much Dr Omicron. Please is there remedy to that. I will really appreciate such.
Welcome

Yes, there is a remedy.

Submucous fibroids are cured with surgery, either open or laparoscopic surgery (better).

However, your doctor would know the impact of those fibroids to your ferility. Traditionally, if there are other obvious explanations for infertility asides fibroid, the fibroids are tackled last (Unless when fibroid treatment is done for the sake of IVF)

You should discuss with your gynaecologist.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:43am On Aug 02, 2015
cionon:
Hello doc. I used to have a 5day menstrual flow but now it's 8days. My doc gave me Clomid and said I shud use it three days after my menstrual flow ends. My doc is aware that my flow was for 8days and he still instructed me to use it three days afta my period ends.

My question is that is it not late to start clomid?
Can I ovulate while still on Clomid or will ovulation come after the Clomid dose?

Tnx
Hi,

Usually, clomid is started on the CD 5. However, the golden rule is to take medicines as prescribed for you by YOUR doctor, especially, in this case, if he is a gynaecologist and knows your cycle too.

Ovulation is expected on the average a week after taking it (5 -10days).

How long is your cycle?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:53am On Aug 02, 2015
beeola7:
Hello Doc, av bin on postinor for a while nw, but i discover am loosng weight cld d postinor be the cause, what can i use to add up. Thanks
Hi,

Postinor is not known to cause weight loss.

You should have this weight loss investigated by your doctor, if it is significant or worries you. Common underlying causes of weight loss are undernutrition, chronic illnesses, and immunosuppression (low immunity). Adolescents may loose weight normally, though.

If weight loss is due to an abnormal condition, treating the condition would restore your weight. If no underlying medical problems, increasing your calorie intake (foods) avoiding stress and physical exercises will enable you add weight (mainly fat). You can build muscle 'weight' via specific work outs preferably in the gym.

NB: Postinor is intended as a one-off kind of contraceptive (Emergency Contraception). If you have reasons to use Postinor on a regular basis, I advise you consider another kind of contraception.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 02, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

Usually, clomid is started on the CD 5. However, the golden rule is to take medicines as prescribed for you by YOUR doctor, especially, in this case, if he is a gynaecologist and knows your cycle too.

Ovulation is expected on the average a week after taking it (5 -10days).

How long is your cycle?

Hello doc, please do I start to take merforming before using Clomid or together with Clomid. And when can I stop Clomid. My cycle is 30days but I don't get ovulation signs anymore. No pains. Cervical mucus is thick all thru d cycle. What could be the problem?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by exegesis: 10:05am On Aug 03, 2015
gudmoning doctor omicron. tanx again for the other day. pls help me interpret my husband's result.

Appearance- milkish and visions
volume- 1.8ml
ph- 9
sperm count- 20.9 x 10 raised to power 6 cells/
ml
motility
progressive- 40%
non-linear- 10%
non-progressive- 20%
immotile- 30%
culture- no signiicant growth
morphlogy
normal- 75%
pyriform- 2%
cytoplasic dropets- 10%
mid piece abnormality- 10%
others- small- 3%

tanx
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2015
diegs:

Hello doc, please do I start to take merforming before using Clomid or together with Clomid. And when can I stop Clomid. My cycle is 30days but I don't get ovulation signs anymore. No pains. Cervical mucus is thick all thru d cycle. What could be the problem?

Hi,

Yes you may.

Clomid is for ovulation induction, while metformin is part of the treatment of PCOS which is the primary problem that could have led to the lack of ovulation.

Clomid is usually taken for 3 cycles.

All the best

(1) (2) (3) ... (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.