Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,902 members, 7,824,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (880137 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Opejibola01(f): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2015
DOC, The nipple discharge doesnt come out until i press my nipple
LuckyG1:

Madam.

Perhaps you meant ni.pple discharge of the b.reast and not lactating as act of breastingfeeding a child.

If you experience this form of nip.ple discharge without expression,it can be referred as galactorrhea and not lactation.It is attributed to be abnormal on the ground where it is welcome by high prolactin in the serum on profiling.

But someone could also experience such on some bases where the nipple is being disturbed severally by the bra,clothe and carressing during love-making.Other factors responsible for this may be the use of some contraceptive and anti-psychotic drugs and anthelminthics.

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by MissOpe(f): 8:23pm On Sep 01, 2015
LuckyG1:

This thread is not meant to attend to urgent and emmergent issues of health of immediate clinicality and attention as due to pregnancy.Everyone of us is trying to avoid a case where one of you women will cry from the housetop that a prescription from this house give in to a pregnancy loss.

Our advice is simple:
1)Report this case to a nearby health centre or a physician for management and a right medical drug prescription rendered.
2)It is adviceable to use the acetaminophen drug,Paracetamol to ease the headache,only on a doctor's advice.
3)Emzor children cough syrup can be use to ease the tussive(Cough) discomfort,only on a doctor's advice.
4)Stay away from cold environment.
5)Stay away from common irritant or allergen.
6)You may avoid eating too dried food or fruits.
7)Melt peppermint in warm water and drink to ease the cough.

8 ) Some stress are allowable,just be happy to experience some few.
Thanks for your candid opinion sir, I'll do as you've adviced..........God bless U..
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kite02: 6:40am On Sep 02, 2015
Good morning, doctors in the house, thanks for the wonderful work you are doing. God bless you!
Please, l need your advice, I and hubby treated for staph a in Feb this year with streptomycin injections. ( by the way, is it sexually transmitted? ) In June, I had bloody discharge intermittently through out the month. Didn't experience that in July. In August, I saw my period twice ( 18th and 29th) The flow of 29th was normal but after then, I have been having bloody discharge that sometimes can only be seen when I wipe with tissue. My periods used to be 4 days with normal flow but that has changed to heavy flow of 6 days for about 18 months ago now. My circle which has always been 28 days has changed to 24 -27 days.
I am 35 with two children aged 6 and four and ttc for a third child for about a year now. My hubby is 43.
Your help will highly be appreciated.
Thanks and best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:18am On Sep 02, 2015
kite02:
Good morning, doctors in the house, thanks for the wonderful work you are doing. God bless you!
Please, l need your advice, I and hubby treated for staph a in Feb this year with streptomycin injections. ( by the way, is it sexually transmitted? ) In June, I had bloody discharge intermittently through out the month. Didn't experience that in July. In August, I saw my period twice ( 18th and 29th) The flow of 29th was normal but after then, I have been having bloody discharge that sometimes can only be seen when I wipe with tissue. My periods used to be 4 days with normal flow but that has changed to heavy flow of 6 days for about 18 months ago now. My circle which has always been 28 days has changed to 24 -27 days.
I am 35 with two children aged 6 and four and ttc for a third child for about a year now. My hubby is 43.
Your help will highly be appreciated.
Thanks and best wishes.
Good morning,

S. Aureus is not an STI, not sexually transmitted, not implicated in neither PID nor in other pelvic infections. It is usually a normal flora (normal/good bacteria) in several parts of the body like the skin, lower reproductive tract, and upper throat. It commonly causes infections of the skin, bone and respiratory tract.

The prime STI and PID causing agents are gonorrhea and chlamydia. Most regular Nigerian labs and hospitals cannot diagnose them due to lack of special media required for their culture and diagnosis.

In truth, most lab results of HVS in Nigeria (always in Nigeria) come back with Staph due to contamination from organisms in the instruments used in testing, the person testing, or from the skin around the lower vagina.

It is one of the commonest scams by pseudo-health workers/ alternative medicine pratitioners.

You have intermenstrual bleeding (bleeding in-between your main periods) with possible menorrhagia (heavy menses) and secondary infectility (ttc after initially given birth).

You require detailed work-up, including pelvic scan, hormone assay, and hysteroscopy and cervical screening (pap smear).

Do you have signs of ovulation?

Thyroid problems, high prolactin, PCOS, endometrial polyps, submucous fibroids, PID and of course tubal problems are likely explanations.

Are you seeing a gynae? Have you done any of those tests?

All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anthney87: 7:54am On Sep 03, 2015
Good day doc omcron.

We have veen trying to have a child for some time now but cant. My flows and ovulation has been normal but for the past three months i dont understand mysef anymore. My flow is now irregular(cant even use up to 3-4 pads)cant notice my ovulation. Am confuse abt wats happening.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
Can you have high prolactin without lactating? Is it possible? Tnx

My tummy is big like I am 3-4mnths pregnant. I av about four fibroids intramural and subserous fibroids. Then for three months , my period has been very heavy lasting about 8days. Do you think there is fibroid inside the womb?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:14pm On Sep 03, 2015
anthney87:
Good day doc omcron.

We have veen trying to have a child for some time now but cant. My flows and ovulation has been normal but for the past three months i dont understand mysef anymore. My flow is now irregular(cant even use up to 3-4 pads)cant notice my ovulation. Am confuse abt wats happening.
Good day,

I presume you are speaking about your wife, as your moniker is showing you are male.

How long have you been ttc?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:20pm On Sep 03, 2015
cionon:
Can you have high prolactin without lactating? Is it possible? Tnx
By lactating, you mean breastfeeding? Yes.

It is also possible to have high prolactin without non-lactational (when not breastfeeding) milky nipple discharge, although many women with high prolactin will have milky discharge.

Sometimes this is only apparent when the milk is manually expressed by pressing them out, or when the nipple is stimulated especially by touch.

Laboratory test is more objective in terms of assessing prolactin level.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
omicron:
By lactating, you mean breastfeeding? Yes.

It is also possible to have high prolactin without non-lactational (when not breastfeeding) milky nipple discharge, although many women with high prolactin will have milky discharge.

Sometimes this is only apparent when the milk is manually expressed by pressing them out, or when the nipple is stimulated especially by touch.

Laboratory test is more objective in terms of assessing prolactin level.

All the best

Tnx one last question
My tummy is big like I am 3-4mnths pregnant. I av about four fibroids intramural and subserous fibroids. Then for three months , my period has been very heavy lasting about 8days. Do you think there is fibroid inside the womb?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:48pm On Sep 03, 2015
cionon:

Tnx one last question

The fibroids can explain your "big tummy".

Eight days of heavy menses is abnormal. Your fibroids can explain it too.

The subserous and intramural fibroids already are in the womb, specifically the subserous is on the womb, and the intramural within the body of the womb.

If you meant to ask if you could have submucous fibroids, those located just beneath the uterine cavity (space inside the womb), yes you could.

Pelvic unltrasound (transabdominal and transvaginal) will show you the locations of the fibroids, how many they are and their various sizes.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 03, 2015
omicron:
The fibroids can explain your "big tummy".

Eight days of heavy menses is abnormal. Your fibroids can explain it too.

The subserous and intramural fibroids already are in the womb, specifically the subserous is on the womb, and the intramural within the body of the womb.

If you meant to ask if you could have submucous fibroids, those located just beneath the uterine cavity (space inside the womb), yes you could.

Pelvic unltrasound (transabdominal and transvaginal) will show you the locations of the fibroids, how many they are and their various sizes.

Yes I meant submucous. But scan is not detecting submucous fibroids and I read it's only submucous fibroid that causes heavey and elongated periods. So I am confused how come about the painful, heavy and long periods. Never used to have such pain to the extent I could barely walk sometimes.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
cionon:

Yes I meant submucous. But scan is not detecting submucous fibroids and I read it's only submucous fibroid that causes heavey and elongated periods. So I am confused how come about the painful, heavy and long periods. Never used to have such pain to the extent I could barely walk sometimes.
Not only submucous.

Multiple large fibroids can present as heavy menses too.

Moreso, submucous fibroids are easily missed.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anthney87: 6:11pm On Sep 03, 2015
omicron:
Good day,

I presume you are speaking about your wife, as your moniker is showing you are male.

How long have you been ttc?
Am using his profile tho.

4mths now since after we got married in april. Since after the marraige i cant seems to know my ovulation. everytin has changed
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ciscajewel: 6:27pm On Sep 03, 2015
RedCapChief:

How long does the pain last?
Does it start before the onset of your cycle or with your cycle?
the pain does not start from my cycle but mid cycle and the pain is off and on for some hours before i get relief.

doc another question is that my dh sperm always flow out like a fluid after bedding. pls what might be the cause for tha cos i am ttc.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anthney87: 6:28pm On Sep 03, 2015
hotice1954:
Join our BLACKBERRY CHANNEL-C00334CB6
You won't regret this experience, come on-board & feel free to ask any health-related question bothering you... We are waiting..
Benjamin Michael ltd... Rite?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Titay(f): 8:40pm On Sep 03, 2015
Hi doc, I am really new in this thread. I can see you are doing a great work. God bless you. I have been ttc for about a year now, God finally did it I am like 6wks gone. But I have a problem, I usually experience stomach pain-like ulcer pain, if after I use gascol it wl subside, but please help me what do ii do, cause d pain is usually intense. Thank u
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:12am On Sep 04, 2015
anthney87:

Am using his profile tho.

4mths now since after we got married in april. Since after the marraige i cant seems to know my ovulation. everytin has changed
Ok.

Well, 4 months is rather too early to conclude that you have difficulty with conceiving.

Maybe you are psychologically stressed or anxious, as it all seemed to have begun once you got married.

Take it easy. Live your normal healthy life. Unless you are above 34 years, you can wait till a year before you start fertility work up.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 04, 2015
omicron:
Not only submucous.

Moreso, submucous fibroids are easily missed.

Thank you
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:25am On Sep 04, 2015
Titay:
Hi doc, I am really new in this thread. I can see you are doing a great work. God bless you. I have been ttc for about a year now, God finally did it I am like 6wks gone. But I have a problem, I usually experience stomach pain-like ulcer pain, if after I use gascol it wl subside, but please help me what do ii do, cause d pain is usually intense. Thank u
Hi,

Thanks and congrats on your pregnancy.

Heart burn is one of the common complaints of pregnancy, because of the effects of pregnancy hormones on the stomach.

Since you are still in 1st trimester, and because no drug is absolutely safe in pregnancy, you should try managing it first by behavioural changes like eating less quantities of food at a time, not eating late at night, sleeping with head and chest propped up, not keeping the stomach full. Caffeine and chocolate may worsen it, as are some spices. Avoid them.

Antacids (like Gascol) are ok, but are also category C drugs, meaning that they can only be used when their benefits outweigh the risks. You should avoid antacids containing aluminium.

Drugs like cimetidine and ranitidine are relatively safe too, and more powerful than antacids.

Omeprazole is not advised, but other PPIs like lansoprazole are relatively safe.

If behavioural changes are not enough, you should see your doctor.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Titay(f): 10:30am On Sep 04, 2015
Thank u dr omicron, I will work on all have said and watch. Thank u and God bless u
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by prettmum(f): 3:00pm On Sep 04, 2015
I gbadun you way Doc, you are so humble. Keep it up. May God crown ur effort.

4 Likes

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 05, 2015
Opejibola01:
DOC, The nipple discharge doesnt come out until i press my nipple

It is normal then.It is normal to have a slight or provoked ni.pple discharged on massaging the breast especially area near the areolar body for a matured female whether to the non-gravid female or the gravid female.The criterion here is maturity relative to breast development.

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 11:04am On Sep 05, 2015
prettmum:
I gbadun you way Doc, you are so humble. Keep it up. May God crown ur effort.
thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ebony13: 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
@ Opejibola01 nipple discharge isn't normal. Meet a gynaecologist to run a hormonal profile test on you.
It's possible your prolactin is high. See a doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by RedCapChief(m): 4:07pm On Sep 06, 2015
ciscajewel:

the pain does not start from my cycle but mid cycle and the pain is off and on for some hours before i get relief.

doc another question is that my dh sperm always flow out like a fluid after bedding. pls what might be the cause for tha cos i am ttc.

A woman's ovaries release eggs alternately i.e ovary Stella may take March and ovary Bola wink will take April. Eggs are released from the ovary about mid-cycle. There is usually some fluid that is released alongside the egg. This fluid gets into the abdomen and causes pain. For some women, the pain is negligible while for some others, it is terrible. That explains why the pain comes mid-cycle and may be on alternate sides
It is essentially a normal phenomenon and I'm sorry you have so much pain. You can google 'mittelschmerz' to read more about it.

Having reflux of seminal fluid after intercourse is not an abnormal phenomenon, particularly when the viscosity of the man's semen is reduced. Studies are inconclusive as to the effect that this will have on those who are ttc.
I'd suggest you remain in bed/avoid activity for about 20mins after intercourse.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by jannies: 6:06pm On Sep 06, 2015
Hi all, do you have a black berry? I have a blackberry channel - Jannies @ C00416CDE and sell good quality kid stuff.
   I am offering my channel as a platform for ladies - singles, married, mums and mums to be and even men to deal with real life issues. Here's how it works - for sakes of coordination, you send in your stories and pictures - be it celebrations, shout outs, requests, testimonies, questions, enquiries, suggestions and name it to channel admin @ Whatsapp- 08109670353, BB- 2B95B145 and then I will post on the channel while people on board help with responses. Thanks and cant wait See you there!
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by nkem79(f): 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2015
Thanks to the docs in the house for giving us hope.

Here is a case study. Laura 35, was pregnant 2010, she had swelling and was later induced, in checking for dialation, junior doctor informed senior doc that her pelvis was smaller but was ignored. Gave birth with a tear to large baby but with complications, was referred to luth with a case of prenatal asphezia. Baby died 9 days later. Ttc till date, she has done hsg, scan, hormonal and swab. Ob/gyn said she is slightly pcos but had IUI done twice which failed.

Broke Laura is near giving up but we keep encouraging her. She gained some weight and sometimes she says she feels like walking away from it all.

My question: what can she do?

How does one manage being slightly pcos?

I share this case as a very close confidant, please advice
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 06, 2015
Hello DOCs in d houx..is it normal to have painful periods? I have been battling with it for years and am tired of taking drugs..what can I do to help reduce d pains..thanks..awaitin your response
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 07, 2015
[quote author=omicron post=37633628]Not only submucous.

Moreso, submucous fibroids are easily missed.[/quote

thank you]
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by nkem79(f): 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2015
Waiting for your responses
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 1:25pm On Sep 07, 2015
nkem79:
Thanks to the docs in the house for giving us hope.

Here is a case study. Laura 35, was pregnant 2010, she had swelling and was later induced, in checking for dialation, junior doctor informed senior doc that her pelvis was smaller but was ignored. Gave birth with a tear to large baby but with complications, was referred to luth with a case of prenatal asphezia. Baby died 9 days later. Ttc till date, she has done hsg, scan, hormonal and swab. Ob/gyn said she is slightly pcos but had IUI done twice which failed.

Broke Laura is near giving up but we keep encouraging her. She gained some weight and sometimes she says she feels like walking away from it all.

My question: what can she do?

How does one manage being slightly pcos?

I share this case as a very close confidant, please advice
Hi,

So much information that needs to be known.

How is her period? Where exactly is the source of her problem? Ovulation? Implantation? Tubes? Male factor?

PCOS is a syndrome that causes lack of ovulation due to hormonal disturbances. It is treatable; aim of treatment being to restore hormone balance and ovulation.

She has to try to optimise her weight (very important), and continue standard treatments for any diagnosed conditions. Sometimes it takes time, but she could still conceive, of course.

If, for any reason, she chooses to have assisted reproduction, she should be counselled about their success and failure rates.

All the best

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.