Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (185) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (879580 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kemifemi: 8:43pm On Aug 21, 2015
Good evening dr,
Thank you for taking time out to attend to our questions. God bless you.
i am so sad right now. My husband has been battling oligospermia since we got married. We've been married for 3 years and started TTC after 1 year.
I thought i was the one with the problem cos i was seeing a gynae at that time.
Mid last year, d gynae asked my DH to run MCS/SFA test, which we did. The test result broke my heart. There was no trace of infection but d count was very low.
We have used manix,addyzoa and now hes on alarsin fortege.
He did another test today and the result is:
Motility 5%
%active progressive nil
%sluggish progressive 5%
%immobile 95%
Sperm motility index 5
Sperm count 700,000 cells >39.0 x 10^6/ml

Sperm morphology
%normal cells 60%
%Abnormal cells 40% <10% abnormal forms
WBC Count 0-2

Please help interprete this result. He's so sad right now.
I will appreciate if someone can help me please. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 22, 2015
Mmm

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:34pm On Aug 22, 2015
Fumbaby,

Your scan is normal.

The follicle, at 14mm, is yet to attain ovulation diameter.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:45pm On Aug 22, 2015
kemifemi:
Good evening dr,
Thank you for taking time out to attend to our questions. God bless you.
i am so sad right now. My husband has been battling oligospermia since we got married. We've been married for 3 years and started TTC after 1 year.
I thought i was the one with the problem cos i was seeing a gynae at that time.
Mid last year, d gynae asked my DH to run MCS/SFA test, which we did. The test result broke my heart. There was no trace of infection but d count was very low.
We have used manix,addyzoa and now hes on alarsin fortege.
He did another test today and the result is:
Motility 5%
%active progressive nil
%sluggish progressive 5%
%immobile 95%
Sperm motility index 5
Sperm count 700,000 cells >39.0 x 10^6/ml

Sperm morphology
%normal cells 60%
%Abnormal cells 40% <10% abnormal forms
WBC Count 0-2

Please help interprete this result. He's so sad right now.
I will appreciate if someone can help me please. Thanks
Hi,

Please calm down. Channel your energy towards finding a solution instead. Dooh!

I don't understand your report of the sperm count.

If it is 700, 000 cells, it is extremely low!

The sperm motility and other parameters are also extremely poor.

He should do hormone profile: LH, FSH, Testosterone, and others, to understand whether he has a testicular problem or other organs are involved. He should also do a karyotype to rule out a genetic cause

By now, you should be seeing a fertility expert: plans for IVF are strongly advised. Adoption is an option too.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2015
leocolin:
thx for the reply.

I'm in my early 26, my marriage is jst 3mths old, i'm not on any medical condition, the issue is premature ejaculation, i dnt last long in bed.

Pls what is the way forward?
Ok.

I understand your problem.

PE is quite a common sexual complaint.

Anxiety is a common cause. There are other common causes.

Counselling will help.

There are medicines that can be prescribed in extreme cases not responding to behavioural changes or psychotherapy.

You may pm me for further advice.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by blazers007: 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2015
Hello Doctor.

I consulted a urologist late last year after I started
feeling (4rm mild to severe) pain in my left testi-cle.

A couple of tests were carried out on me, incLuding
a scrotal scan. At d end of it all, I was diagnosed with VARICOCELE, but the urologist said d surgery can be done on a later date.

9 months down the line; d pain is now unbearable
and I think it's high time a surgery is carried on me
to ease d pain.

My questions are;
1. What is d worst side-effect of varicocelectomy you
know?

2. What is d cost of varicocelectomy here in Nigeria?

It takes hours to see my Urologist; I don't want to go
and queue a whole day at the hospital just to know
the cost of d surgery.

Pls help!!!

Thks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Peacewealth(f): 9:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
gd. p.m doc. i took depo inj on march 5th dis yr, which expired june, 2weeks later i bleed for 10days. All to see another menses on 21 aug. Which z scanty With severe cramps that has stopped now. Does it mean my cycle is back? Will i ovulate by september? I want to be pregnant again should i take glucophage? Tks for ur kind response
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 24, 2015
blazers007, relax and take your time to read around..
You just have to see the doctor anyway.. because there is a lean chance that they will just take you in for surgery even if you have all the money in hand. You will also be needing a day or two to rest after the procedure
According to studies, the side effects are usually not bad and prognosis good..
Go eat good food and sleep for your life grin

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by blazers007: 9:10am On Aug 24, 2015
favoured234:
blazers007, relax and take your time to read around..
You just have to see the doctor anyway.. because there is a lean chance that they will just take you in for surgery even if you have all the money in hand. You will also be needing a day or two to rest after the procedure
According to studies, the side effects are usually not bad and prognosis good..
Go eat good food and sleep for your life grin

Thanks a lot. smiley
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2015
Peacewealth:
gd. p.m doc. i took depo inj on march 5th dis yr, which expired june, 2weeks later i bleed for 10days. All to see another menses on 21 aug. Which z scanty With severe cramps that has stopped now. Does it mean my cycle is back? Will i ovulate by september? I want to be pregnant again should i take glucophage? Tks for ur kind response
Hi,

No need to take glucophage. Not advisable.

There could be delay of return to fertility following Depo use. This can vary from a few weeks to several months.

There is really no way to say for sure that you will ovulate this or that time.

Relax. Live your normal life. You will not even know when you took in.

All the best

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 25, 2015
Baby blues
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:57pm On Aug 26, 2015
GoodKay:
Hi doc, I recently had a miscarriage at 8 weeks. D doc did a d&c to clean out any left tissues and gave me an appointment for a week. When I went after a week, I was given an injection which terribly ached my butts and legs for almost 2 days d pains later disappeared. (I dont know d name of d injection or its purpose) Then I was also given brameston (bromocriptine) 30 tablets. When i started taking the drug, i felt like hell. Sick to my bones. The doc told me I will feel that way but I shouldn't stop taking it. He said he wants to start preparing me for my next pregnancy and i should avoid intercourse or use a condom for the next one month. Then come when my next period starts. but isnt this preparations too much? Its my first miscarriage and i think it was as a result of stress as i seriously overworked myself the day before my miscarriage and i have a son who is a year plus. I was thinking of stopping the drugs as I felt I don't really need it and for so long (30days)cos I don't think I have a problem. (They didn't run any test for me) The doc is one of the very best in town when it comes to women matters though and a very qualified one too. What do u think? Is this too much for me? Why bromocriptine?
Hi,

Normally, bromocriptine is not indicated post-first trimester miscarriage. Even in latter stage pregnancy loss/still birth when it may used to suppress milk production, it is used as a second-option. And I cannot understand why intercourse must be delayed, or contraception used, since it was a simple D and C.

Since he is an experienced doctor as you said, probably a gynaecologist/obstetrician, you should ask him for more education concerning the drugs and their intended functions, especially as you seem not to tolerate them.

He may be trying to bring your prolactin hormone down (which must have started rising due to the pregnancy). Personally, I think it is not necessary as all hormonal changes following pregnancy will resolve few weeks after termination of pregnancy.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Caringpro(f): 3:44pm On Aug 26, 2015
Gd day doc omicro. plz i hv ths serious hotness at my bck region. that is my waist is hotting me around my waist. Plz wht could be the cause of ths pain/hotness. I jst treated infection. plz wht could be the cause.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by lily19: 11:23am On Aug 27, 2015
Good day doc. Pls I need ur help, I've 28 days cycle, I do notice slight pains on either of my ovaries at d middle of my cycle (Wch I want to believe maybe ovulation), but I'm confused cos after such experience my pelvic gets extreme bloated, what cld be wrong n Wch test do u suggest I go for? I'm ttc. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anthney87: 9:48am On Aug 28, 2015
omicron:
Ok.

I understand your problem.

PE is quite a common sexual complaint.

Anxiety is a common cause. There are other common causes.

Counselling will help.

There are medicines that can be prescribed in extreme cases not responding to behavioural changes or psychotherapy.

You may pm me for further advice.

hello doctor,
please i will not advice a secret message here to end this thread of discusion. Alot of people are suffering from this same issues but are shy to speak up but are secretly following. pls lets discuss all here so others can benefit..
thanks. so in this case what should we do? advice pls

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by anthney87: 9:50am On Aug 28, 2015
hi doc.
this is with my wife... w got married this April and before then she ha been having her ovulation well and at the right time. but since our marriage she said her ovulation has not been noticed but she see her period very well. two months back she experienced implantation bleeding but nothing happened at the end of the day. just some few days back she just experienced her monthly flow coming 2 days earlier than expected. during her wash up she noticed the normal egg like substance stretch and it was thick as if she was ovulating. she said she saw it also like that the previous month but didn't take it serious until now. so this is kind of ovulating and period discharge at the same time .
doc ur advice is needed pls.ASAP
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
I have been much busier offline of late, hence the late replies.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:06pm On Aug 28, 2015
Caringpro:
Gd day doc omicro. plz i hv ths serious hotness at my bck region. that is my waist is hotting me around my waist. Plz wht could be the cause of ths pain/hotness. I jst treated infection. plz wht could be the cause.
Hi,

Is it hotness or pain, or both?

Causes of waist pain are quite many. It is difficult to say which it could be from the information you gave

Do you have any associated symptoms?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:07pm On Aug 28, 2015
lily19:
Good day doc. Pls I need ur help, I've 28 days cycle, I do notice slight pains on either of my ovaries at d middle of my cycle (Wch I want to believe maybe ovulation), but I'm confused cos after such experience my pelvic gets extreme bloated, what cld be wrong n Wch test do u suggest I go for? I'm ttc. Thanks
Hi,

What do you mean by "bloated pelvis"?

Any othet associated symptoms?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 12:35pm On Aug 28, 2015
anthney87:

hello doctor,
please i will not advice a secret message here to end this thread of discusion. Alot of people are suffering from this same issues but are shy to speak up but are secretly following. pls lets discuss all here so others can benefit..
thanks. so in this case what should we do? advice pls
Hi,

I honestly found your post amusing cheesy

Treatment of PE depends on the cause. Few drugs licensed for its treatment are prescription drugs, to be prescribed by a physician who has seen the patient.

There are behavioural changes too that can help one to overcome it. That is where counselling comes in.

Kegel exercises help in the long term. Training oneself by way of increasing will power, "distraction mechanisms" and reducing the refractory period are good short term measures, though these are hard to master and takes time to perfect.

Normally, after ejacuulation, the peniss goes flacid for a varying period of time ranging from a few minutes to a few hours. That period is what is called the refractory period. By reducing this period, the gap between the 1st and 2nd round is almost eliminated, prolonging the sexual experience and improving the man's confidence (which is a therapy on its own).

Chronic masturbation is a common cause of PE through some mechanisms whereby the brain is "addicted to early gratification" following repeated masturbation. Cessation of masturbation will help in the medium term, although the problem could worsen temporarily following abrupt stoppage of habitual masturbation.

There are other common causes too apart from habitual masturbation.

Some prescription drugs, which are not licensed for the treatment of PE, such as tramadol and some antidepressants, can delay ejaculation substancially in a lot of people. These drugs are not medically advised for treatment of PE due to concerns about their long term safety and adverse effects, including the possibility of erectile dysfuction/impotence. Moreso, they are prescription medicines, meaning that the use of them without a doctor's prescription may constitute an offence or a crime.

In summary, PE is a common sexual complaint. It is responsible for a small amount of infertility cases, and can become a threat to success in relationships. Treatment is mainly via counselling (psychothery/sex therapy). A few licensed drugs for its treatment will require prescription.

All the best

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Caringpro(f): 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

Is it hotness or pain, or both?

Causes of waist pain are quite many. It is difficult to say which it could be from the information you gave

Do you have any associated symptoms?
Dr plz it is hotness and nt pain
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by adaphik(f): 3:20pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hi Dr,

My cousin is a first time mother (FTM) and she is 6months pregnant.
She registered for ANC quite early, being a FTM, she is not a known hypertensive. So on her first visit at abt 8-9wks thereabt, her bp was a little elevated say 140/90mmhg n it was attributed to stress n indeed it was. 2weeks later she repeated d visit n her bp was still elevated. So the gynecologist counseled her and placed her on tab vasoprin 75mg daily.
She asked of the indication n d explanation she got suggests it's routinely given for first time mothers to improve placental perfusion so to say.

For sometime now she hasn't been taking it cos of our concern over the fact that she really doesn't need to take it throughout her pregnancy, cos I know it's not an antihypertensive drug.

By the way, after her last visit she has adopted more of relaxation and her bp has been perpetually less than 120/80mmhg till date.

Questions r;
What is d role of vasoprin in pregnancy?
Does she really need it without an indication?

Kindly advice.
Thx.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by lily19: 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

What do you mean by "bloated pelvis"?

Any othet associated symptoms?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I meant my lower abdomen gets bloated a day or 2 after ovulation, n I do feel headache n lower back pain. The symptoms go away when my period starts, want to bliv it's PMS. Pls I want to knw if it can affect my chance of getting pregnant? Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
lily19:

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I meant my lower abdomen gets bloated a day or 2 after ovulation, n I do feel headache n lower back pain. The symptoms go away when my period starts, want to bliv it's PMS. Pls I want to knw if it can affect my chance of getting pregnant? Thanks

Madam.

Symptoms are not hindrance to one having pregnancy.Symptoms are individual conditions one can express before an health agent for he or she to know what may be wrong with you.

If these symptoms weren't from complications with any pelvic complaint with the uterus and adnexae,then it should be by assumption PMS.However,if it turns out the otherwise,then a need for pelvic examination by a physician is inevitable.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 28, 2015
adaphik:
Hi Dr,

My cousin is a first time mother (FTM) and she is 6months pregnant.
She registered for ANC quite early, being a FTM, she is not a known hypertensive. So on her first visit at abt 8-9wks thereabt, her bp was a little elevated say 140/90mmhg n it was attributed to stress n indeed it was. 2weeks later she repeated d visit n her bp was still elevated. So the gynecologist counseled her and placed her on tab vasoprin 75mg daily.
She asked of the indication n d explanation she got suggests it's routinely given for first time mothers to improve placental perfusion so to say.

For sometime now she hasn't been taking it cos of our concern over the fact that she really doesn't need to take it throughout her pregnancy, cos I know it's not an antihypertensive drug.

By the way, after her last visit she has adopted more of relaxation and her bp has been perpetually less than 120/80mmhg till date.

Questions r;
What is d role of vasoprin in pregnancy?
Does she really need it without an indication?

Kindly advice.
Thx.

Vasoprin is a low dose aspirin and does carries all pharmacological aspect of aspirin,but in low dose.
Vasoprin is not a normal for any pregnant woman but for cases where the woman may have HBP associated with pregnancy.Vasoprin helps to improve this condition by making a thinning of the blood.

Vasoprin should be given in a prescribe ''?mg'' by the doctor and should be discontinued before the 34week-36week of pregnancy.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 29, 2015
Good morning to all our doctors, thanks for the good work you people are doing. and Weldone. Pls help me look at this my hormonal assay result and give advice on what I should do.
Sample was given on day 2.
FSH= 6.64miu/ml (6.9-12.5) FP
LH= 5.30m/u/ml (5.9-12.6 (5.9-12.6) FP
PRL= 15.65mg/ml (3.4-24.1)
TSH= 3.43m/u/ml (0.27-4.2)

Pathologist's report: low gonadotropin levels.

Progesterone day 21: 10.21mg/ml (1.5-22.6) LP
Report: day 21 progesterone level indicative of ovulatory cycle.

This is my hubby sa result.
Volume 3.0ml, appearance norm,liquefaction norm, viscosity norm, PH 7.5, WBC norm. WHO parameters:
Concent 90m/ml
Prog. Motil 56%
MSC 50.4m/ml
FSC 34.2m/ml
SMI 254
All sperm 270.0m
Motile sperm 151.2m
Funct. Sperm 102.6m

Pls bear with me on long epistle. Thanks waiting for your advice.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kponkanaG3(m): 2:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
Doc please I need your help save my marriage, o have been married for a year and now. But b4 then I lived a reckless life, and now I cant get my wife pregnant. I have gone for several test, one among which showed that I have an isolated staph and since then I have been taking different antibiotics. I haven't gone back for the test again. I am having serious waist pain and some times tingling sensation in my joystick some times a kind of pimple on my joystick &when I break it ,a thick water like liquid comes out of it. What should I do please help me I signed into Nairaland because of this, I am tired of going to one hospital &another. Please save my marriage I love my wife
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
kponkanaG3:
Doc please I need your help save my marriage, o have been married for a year and now. But b4 then I lived a reckless life, and now I cant get my wife pregnant. I have gone for several test, one among which showed that I have an isolated staph and since then I have been taking different antibiotics. I haven't gone back for the test again. I am having serious waist pain and some times tingling sensation in my joystick some times a kind of pimple on my joystick &when I break it ,a thick water like liquid comes out of it. What should I do please help me I signed into Nairaland because of this, I am tired of going to one hospital &another. Please save my marriage I love my wife

Sir.
You may still have to be physically examine most especially the pen.is.A pimplish rash on the penis by differentiality could result from Herpes genitalis,or Human papilloma virus infection (HPV) ,although HPV is more of a growth..But the far reaching point is that you make out time to make an appointment with a medical laboratory agent to ascertain if you have been infected with any of these common STDs or UTI.

It is expected that your wife in suite do same test for STDs and UTI in order to tame it at this stage.Follow sensitivity and stay healthy.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Fabmummy: 8:46pm On Aug 29, 2015
Hello doctors, please can I use chloroquine, am 8 weeks plus pregnant
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by saipn: 10:08pm On Aug 29, 2015
Gud evening doc
Is it possible to contact STD from a flowing river?cos i normally swim in the river when i was young.......since then i do feel pain whenever i want to urinate..
pls urgent reply thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 30, 2015
Fabmummy:
Hello doctors, please can I use chloroquine, am 8 weeks plus pregnant

Madam.
It is possible for the written weeks.However,every prescription should be accessed by your physician before taken.

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.