Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (881449 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by John3161(m): 1:45pm On Feb 20, 2009
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by MrKelly: 2:44pm On Feb 20, 2009
Hello Dr. Kathyekiti
I was advised in my previous thread to contact you and I will be grateful if you or someone reading this can advice on how we can resolve this severe stomach ache which is robbing me and my wife some good night rest. It is her first pregnancy. We went to a doctor last week who confirmed the pregnancy after some blood and urine tests. The doctor said the pain is normal and advised us to keep away from drugs. He prescribed pregnacare which we bought and instructed us to use paracetamol when the pain gets so severe.
The problem now is that we are always having sleepless night because the pain increases each time my wife wakes up at midnight to urinate. I will appreciate any advice from someone who can assist us with remedies to this nightmare. Thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ud4u: 3:05pm On Feb 20, 2009
Hi Kathy,
really you have been doing a good job, Almighty God will reward you.

Please Doctor I need your help, Iam having infertility problem and I have taken many medications to no avail, Can you please send me your email address so that I will discuss in details with you or you can as well reach me with this umart1979@yahoo.com.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 20, 2009
@udy4u

just post ur problem here
its a public forum
the doc will not answer any questions via email or privately

if u check the thread u will see that everyone's issues are out in the open
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:23pm On Feb 21, 2009
@chioma24
wow Ms. Chioma, amen, ase etc. There is nothing that compares to a Naija prayer. Thank you and God bless in returnsmiley

@keyne
Has a man ever penetrated your vagina? If not, you are a virgin.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2009
@sassy444
I don't think her miscarriage is related to her prior abortions. Genetic abnormalities are the #1 cause of miscarriages in the first trimester. In fact, they are so common, we only start looking for reasons after three in a row. Tell your friend to take heart however, I would suggest an ultrasound to look at the length of her cervix when she is about 12 weeks pregnant
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2009
@ dear doc
For your first friend, I would suggest a course of lupron for 6 months after which, she should go on the pill.  This is to starve the fibroids of estrogen and possibly result in shrinking them.  It will also help her menses from being heavy.  The problem is this is only a temporary measure.  Does she have a significant other?

As for your second friend, I don't think she needs surgery but her prolactin is high and might be hindering ovulation.  The other thing to consider is her age.  Does your friend menstruate monthly?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:33pm On Feb 21, 2009
@ Mr kelly
How far along is your wife? Does it burn when she urinates? Has she had an ultrasound this pregnancy? What part of her stomach hurts, upper or lower?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:45pm On Feb 21, 2009
@ud4u
I remember you. I went and reviewed our prior exchanges. You menstruate monthly but you were being prescribed different meds by your docs. What is going on? Ms Salsera is right. I don't communicate privately anymore due to all the 419 emails I received when I initially posted my email address. This is an open forum. Please feel free to share and realize there might be others in your situation who will benefit from these exchanges

@ salsera
Good looking outsmiley
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by deardoc: 10:46pm On Feb 21, 2009
hi kathyetiki.
thanks for your reply.for my friend(first patient),she's not married but waiting on God.whats lupron by the way,i dont think we have that generic brand in nigeria.whats the generic name or the combination doses.

for the second patient,i know surgery is not really advisable for her age and all but if all previous treatment has failed couldnt that be a stumbling block.she mentrates regularly,she's had previous myomectomy about 8years ago.she's been on bromocriptine for 3mths so i;m sure the prolactin level would have reduced.what would you suggest she does.
thanks for all your help
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by MrKelly: 12:40pm On Feb 22, 2009
Mr Kelly:

Hello Dr. Kathyekiti
I was advised in my previous thread to contact you and I will be grateful if you or someone reading this can advice on how we can resolve this severe stomach ache which is robbing me and my wife some good night rest. It is her first pregnancy. We went to a doctor last week who confirmed the pregnancy after some blood and urine tests. The doctor said the pain is normal and advised us to keep away from drugs. He prescribed pregnacare which we bought and instructed us to use paracetamol when the pain gets so severe.
The problem now is that we are always having sleepless night because the pain increases each time my wife wakes up at midnight to urinate. I will appreciate any advice from someone who can assist us with remedies to this nightmare. Thanks.

kathyekiti:

@ Mr kelly
How far along is your wife? Does it burn when she urinates? Has she had an ultrasound this pregnancy? What part of her stomach hurts, upper or lower?

Thanks a million for your reply. However, she is just 6 weeks pregnant; she will be 29 by this May. the pain started about 3 weeks after she took in. It doesnt burn when she urinates, the pain usually starts after she urinates only at midnight and will reduce a bit or sometimes gradually stops when she throws up (vomits). Ultrasound was not done as the doctor we consulted did not suggest it. The lower part of her abdomen is actually where the ache is noticed. She is a house wife at the moment and is not subjected to any strenous work. I do not however anticipate the possibility of an STD beacuse we are faithful to each other and I married her five months ago as avirgin. We both live a healthy lifestyle and have not had any past medical issue.

Do you think it is advisable to continue with the Pregnacare?

Thanks once again. Expecting your reply soon.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by oluwawunmi(f): 9:30am On Feb 23, 2009
hello,
please i av a friend that sees her menstration 2x in a month and is painful the first one is 3day and the second one is 4day 10th and 19th that is 10days in between.

please is very urgent
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ud4u: 2:44pm On Feb 23, 2009
salsera:

@udy4u

just post ur problem here
its a public forum
the doc will not answer any questions via email or privately

if u check the thread u will see that everyone's issues are out in the open
You don't just jump into matters you don't know, If you have been following the thread you should have known that I have discussed earlier the problem I am having but my doctors are not giving me the remedy that is why I referred back to Dr Kathy because He advised me to visit a gyn. So my friend if you want to know the problem is better you revisit the past replies on this thread and find out the problem.
Thanks you.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:29pm On Feb 24, 2009
@deardoc
lupron is leuprolide acetate. It doesn't have a generic. As for your second friend, lets wait and see the prolactin level first.

@Mr. Kelly
Your wife is really early in her pregnancy. She needs to continue the prenatal vitamin but her pain is unlikely to be caused by the pregnancy. I can't think of any pain that occurs only at midnight.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 8:54pm On Feb 24, 2009
@oluwawunmi
Is this is the first time this has happened to your friend?

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by MrKelly: 8:04am On Feb 25, 2009
kathyekiti:

@Mr. Kelly
Your wife is really early in her pregnancy. She needs to continue the prenatal vitamin but her pain is unlikely to be caused by the pregnancy. I can't think of any pain that occurs only at midnight.
Thanks Doc for your advice. It's amazing how you still make out time to attend to our querries here even in your tight schedule; you're such an angel and the sky will always be your starting point.

I gave you an inacurate infor when I said the ache comes only at midnight, it is rather more serious at night than in the daytime. She still experience some minor ache when she wakes up from nap but the ache gets more serious when she mistakenly sleeps on her belly either in the daytime or at night and to the glory of God, the pain has gradually stopped and we can now sleep peacefully at night.

'will keep you posted.

Best regards
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by oluwawunmi(f): 11:41am On Feb 25, 2009
hello,

Thankyou doctor for replying me this not the first time is the 3rd time.
thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ud4u: 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2009
Good evening Doc, Just as I said earlier I mensurate monthly but conception is not forth coming, but I visited a gyn as you directed me to do but they diagonized me and said nothing is wrong, pls is there any other way out. or can you direct me to any trusted gyn that was why I put down my email address initially.

Thanks once more.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by seeme3: 5:15pm On Feb 25, 2009
May God bless you for all your good works.
A friend of mine directed me to you and that was why I registered. My case is hotness of body which the cause was later diagnosed as imbalance hormone. Pls Dr. what is the way out.

Awaiting your response. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Sammiejo: 10:54am On Feb 26, 2009
Good day Doc,
I put to bed on Dec 30th last year. After the lochia stopped I saw blood in little quantities for 3days from 6/2/08. My gyn said its my menses and that the body will regulate it to normal. This also stopped. I noticed since about 11 days ago I have been seeing spots of blood almost on a daily basis sometimes very red. What do you think is happening? I will like to get pregnant soon as I lost the baby.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by VENUSS(f): 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2009
hello Dr Kathy thanks for your reply . thanks a lot dear
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by go4gold107(m): 8:35pm On Feb 26, 2009
Doc,

Thanks so much for the advice the other days.  However, my wife (31 weeks pregnant now) has gone back to her doctor after two weeks of the scan results I gave to you the other time.  He gave her some 25mg INDOCID capsules to be taken 3 times daily.  I have really googled Indocid but it seems not to be recommended for pregnant women in third trimester and I am beginning to be afraid something is wrong. What do you suggest?  The doctor says the capsules are to reduce the amniotic fluid in the womb but I am afraid it might not be too good for the baby.

What recommendations can you give to me? Is there any other drug that can be used? Do you think the baby is ok?

I will appreciate our professional advice again.

Many thanks and may God continue to increase your wisdom.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by itiade(f): 9:17pm On Feb 26, 2009
Dear Doc, i had serious menstrual cramps on the 16th and went to my doc. We had a pregnancy test and scan done and it was +ve. Unfortunately, i bleed for abt 6days with clots. In short, i lost the baby. I did an hormonal assay and this is the result pls explain FSH- 16m/u/ml ,PRL- 37ng/ml, LH- 29m/u/ml ,PROG -1.5ng/ml , T4 -85ng/ml, estradiod- 30ng/ml. It is obvious that my progesterone level is too low and PRL too high. What do I do? I need your professional advice. Thank you for your support.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 11:24pm On Feb 26, 2009
ud4u:

You don't just jump into matters you don't know, If you have been following the thread you should have known that I have discussed earlier the problem I am having but my doctors are not giving me the remedy that is why I referred back to Dr Kathy because He advised me to visit a gyn. So my friend if you want to know the problem is better you revisit the past replies on this thread and find out the problem.
Thanks you.

and if you had been following the thread YOU would know she does not answer to emails anymore whether you posted ur problem last year sef
kathyekiti:

@ud4u
I remember you. I went and reviewed our prior exchanges. You menstruate monthly but you were being prescribed different meds by your docs. What is going on? Ms Salsera is right. I don't communicate privately anymore due to all the 419 emails I received when I initially posted my email address. This is an open forum. Please feel free to share and realize there might be others in your situation who will benefit from these exchanges

@ salsera
Good looking outsmiley

i'm not bothered what your problem is , this is a PUBLIC FORUM stop being touchy please.
@doc
its my pleasure, more grease to ur elbows
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 2:54am On Mar 02, 2009
@mr Kelly
Good to hear it! Please keep me posted.

@oluwawunmi
Your friend should go to her gyn. There are certain blood tests that can be done to check her hormone level. She should also keep a calendar of her menses. This will help her gyn in reading her lab results.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 2:57am On Mar 02, 2009
@ud4u

Did you follow my instructions as to when to have sex based on your menstrual cycle/ovulation dates? If so, has your partner's sperm count been checked? Up to 30%, some claim 40% of infertility is due to male factor.

@see me
What type of hormonal imbalance? How old are you? Do you menstruate monthly?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:07am On Mar 02, 2009
@ sammiejo
I think you should go back to your gyn for a hormone check. If you are not ovulating, he/she may give you clomid to ovulate.

@venuss

Good luck! Let me know how it goes and make sure to start taking prenatal vitamins
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:20am On Mar 02, 2009
@go4gold
The reason your doctor is recommending this med is because it decreases blood flow to the kidneys hence reducing the amount of amniotic fluid. Your wife is only 31 weeks and if this is a short course by the time the baby is born at term it should have no effect on the outcome. How long does he want her to use this medicine?

@itiade
Sorry to hear this but I must admit that these numbers do not look like those of a woman who is/was pregnant. Your estradiol and progesterone levels are way too low. Your LH is also higher than your FSH. These are the kind of numbers we see in a woman who is not ovulating. What did they see on the scan?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:22am On Mar 02, 2009
@ ud4u and salsera
You guys know I try to answer every question on this forum. I would like to ask you both to end this now. I don't want any discord here.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by go4gold107(m): 7:56am On Mar 02, 2009
Thanks doc.

He prescribed the drugs as 3 times daily for the next 2 weeks. Although she has started using the capsules, I pray everything is fine. Is there any other way you feel we can go around this. Almost everyday now, she complains of headache. Can she combine the Indocid with Paracetamol tablets?

Thanks again
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by locoso: 8:29am On Mar 02, 2009
Hi Doc, Well done Ma.

A friend once said that if a pregnant woman takes any form of drug in capsule - be it antibiotic or whatever - the baby is prone to cutting brown/burnt teeth when she starts cuttting teeth. Is this a fact or myth?

Also, is it a fact/myth that a pregnant woman who feeds on ewedu and other draw soup is creating easy passage for her unborn baby at delivery. What is the correllation?

It's a norm in some parts of Nigeria that older women will use hot damp cloth to press the tummy of new mothers after deliver to 'heal the womb'. What is the western alternative? Am pregnant and I wouldn't want such hot compresses after delivery, what else can I do.

Thank you Ma'am for the time you spend attending to our questions. Bless you.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ant01: 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2009
Hi Doc,

God Bless you!
I have a friend who lost her baby 22 weeks. she had a stitch put it an 17 weeks which was a little too late as she was already 4cm dilated with bulging membranes at this time but they thought better late than never.
to cut the long story short she started contracting at 22 weeks and they had to remove the stitch and she gave birth to a still born.
Her crp or cpr ( not sure) blood test level , went up to over 200 and the conclusion was that she had severe infection brought about by the late stitch ( she wasn't treated with antibiotics after the stitch due to hospital politics as the argument was that the antibiotics would get "get rid of the good and bad bacteria" which could lead to more problems later on in the pregancy if the good bacteria is not effective.

She was at the hopsital from when they put the stitch in at 17 weeks until 22 weeks when she lost they baby and they did not find out about the infection until it was too late.

My question is for future pregancy surely she should be given some antiboitics when this stitch is done and there is evidence of infection,
Are there not various type of antibiotcs that can eradicate just the bad bacteria, and if there are none, is there anything she can take to replace the good bacteria,

She had a biopsy few years ago in her cervix, so for next pregancy they will put the stitch in at 13 weeks, but she in confused about the antibiotics issue as after what happened the hospital are adamant they wont give her antibiotics until absolutly necessary! but if she will be discharged right after the stitch has been put in how ill they know if an infection develops as she will be home!

Thanks
Ant

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.